Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

Enver Pasha arrives to lay out his clever plan for an attack in the Caucasus. It's extremely ambitious, highly over-complicated, and goes down with his generals like a pig in a mosque. Meanwhile, there's some good old-fashioned British derring-do in the Dardanelles, the Austro-Hungarians prepare to run away from Belgrade, and the Spectator continues being insanely pro-Russian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Trin Tragula posted:

...extremely ambitious, highly over-complicated...
Do these kinds of things ever work? I'm remembering Lee's Western Virginia campaign.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

HEY GAL posted:

Do these kinds of things ever work? I'm remembering Lee's Western Virginia campaign.

Eh, occasionally. Grant's Vicksburg campaign comes to mind.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
That Russian Stalingrad movie is on Netflix, watch it right now.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

SeanBeansShako posted:

Which one, the bad romance once from a year ago or the one from late 80s/early 90s?

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

SeanBeansShako posted:

British Netflix maybe. :colbert:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Which one, the bad romance once from a year ago or the one from late 80s/early 90s?

The bad romance one, instead of the really depressing German POV one from the nineties.

I just had to pause it on a scene of Red Army soldiers charging entrenched Germans whilst on fire. Russians sure do have a funny ideas over romance in their films.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
What words were used for military manuevers in medieval times? It seems like a lot of words that we take for granted, like 'charge', and 'fire' had post-gunpowder entymologies. So what did people say before then, when you want your guys to run at their guys, waving their weapons?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Fangz posted:

What words were used for military manuevers in medieval times? It seems like a lot of words that we take for granted, like 'charge', and 'fire' had post-gunpowder entymologies. So what did people say before then, when you want your guys to run at their guys, waving their weapons?

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Deus vult!

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Can we do a good war movie roll call please?

Come and See made my girlfriend cry so I can recommend that.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Big Willy Style posted:

I'd put Das Boot up there as one of the best as well. Largely apolitical and pretty drat :smith:.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Fangz posted:

In English, mine would be these, more or less: http://www.luckhardt.com/ecwsa60.html as well as things like "left face," "right face," "about face," "left by files," etc, all still familiar today.

The command for attack is "walk on," and "charge" here doesn't refer to attacking, it refers to readying your weapon. I'm not as familiar with musketeer drill, but I do know that in a number of languages what English speakers translate as "fire" is "pull," for "pull the lever." (It's not a trigger yet.)

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
From a little bit ago, but the worst army to be in in all of WW2 was definitely the armed forces of Wang Jingwei's collaborationist government.

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The Australians made their own submachine gun with a top-mounted magazine. It's a skinny looking thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmAigxjQbtE

How do you accurately aim that gun? It looks like the magazine is sitting in between the sights.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
The sights are a little off to the side, so the magazine is blocking your field of view a bit, but not obscuring the thing you're aiming at directly.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

brozozo posted:

How do you accurately aim that gun? It looks like the magazine is sitting in between the sights.

Terrible quality video but it looks similar to the bren machine gun sights on the right hand side of the gun instead of on top.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Big Willy Style posted:

Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence.

Watch without the subtitles for the Japanese cast. Then watch it again with.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
The Unknown Soldier, motherfuckers!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
A Field In England :goatdrugs:

Alatriste suffers from the same faults as most book adaptations--it's packed full of characters and plot points that were fine in a series of books but when they rush past in a movie viewers who are unfamiliar with the source material can't keep track of who anyone is or why they should care.

The Duellists--This is a short story adaptation (by Joseph Conrad!) and it does not suffer from the abovementioned problem, because it has only two main characters and the point is their hosed up psychodrama, not the plot. Has one of the best fight scenes I can think of, and the one of the best images in a fight scene, where the main characters have fought for a long time and, wheezing and blood covered, they've practically collapsed into each others' arms. Camera pans to a pair of children, watching from a windowsill. "Are they dying?" one whispers to another, so quietly you can barely hear.

The Profession of Arms--I posted about this one before. Nothing happens here, really (usually, when you're watching a war movie, you want some war in it), but images from this film have stuck with me.

Ride With the Devil is good. Master and Commander is good and the soundtrack owns.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

HEY GAL posted:

To save on lead? The French used smaller bullets than everyone else at the turn of the 17th/18th century, and I've read a bunch of people say that that was a disadvantage for them, but I don't agree.

The 6.5mm was adopted by the Japanese at the turn of the 19th/20th century when everybody was switching over to smokeless powder and modern bolt actions. I'm not really sure what motivated them to choose that caliber in particular, but smaller rounds were not really uncommon at that time. The Italians also adopted a 6.5mm, the US Navy briefly adopted the 6mm Lee and 7mm Mauser was the standard in a lot of places at the time. Eventually most people settled on rounds around roughly .30 caliber/ 7.62mm. The Japanese actually switched over to a 7.7mm in the late 30s, but Japanese industry being what it was the transition was never fully completed.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Waterloo is decent, if you can stomach THE DUKE WELLINGTONS BIG BOOK OF QUOTES. An impressive movie, despite some of the limitations too. Plus I find movies where the Soviets and Eastern Block nations pitching to be just simply lovely.

I'd seriously watch Come And See if you like war movies that are more 'OH GOD WHY WAR WHY! instead of the usual 'BANG ZOOM WAAAAAR' most of them are.

EDIT: Maybe the remake of All Quiet On The Western Front, though only if you can somehow redub all the sound effects and hire some German speakers to redo the voices.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 13, 2014

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Come and See will teach you why the nazis have such a bad reputation.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

HEY GAL posted:

Master and Commander is good and the soundtrack owns.

It's hard to not have a good soundtrack when Yo-Yo Ma writes it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Anybody have a strong opinion on When Trumpets Fade? I think I first saw it when I was 15 or something, and it was horrifying.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Try Wajda's Kanal, inasmuch as it counts as a war film.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Gargamel Gibson posted:

The Unknown Soldier, motherfuckers!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUZYp0QrD2c

Talvisota.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M8_hS0gqU8

Tali-Ihantala 1944. as a movie it's disconnected but all scenes are based on historical accounts and and are technically accurate. No love stories, plots, protagonists or other bullshit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BobJlVCRINY

this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhy7r6-OQXE

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 14, 2014

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

There's alsomthe 1955 version of the Unknown Soldier. People tell me it's the proper version.
http://youtu.be/ZbCe-v4Ce68

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

What makes them so unusual?

There's a few things that just jump out.

• The standard issue bolt-action rifle came with a wire monopod and anti-aircraft sights, both of which were useless. Putting AA sights on a bolt-action 6.5mm or 7.7mm (depending on model year) rifle is just insane and pointless. With or without the sights, the probability of doing anything useful to attack aircraft by laying on your back and shooting into the sky was zero. The monopod was at least theoretically useful as a way to rest the rifle during shooting, but as it was flimsy and had only one point of contact with the ground it didn't add much stability, and soldiers generally just pretended it didn't exist.
  • Everything had bayonet lugs, even stuff like LMGs and SMGs that really had no business at all being used as a spear.
  • Getting a little more technical, one of the commonly issued Japanese LMGs had an unusual feed system. Instead of feeding from a belt or a magazine, the Type 11 LMG fed from a hopper. Basically to load your standard bolt action infantry rifle, you had stripper clips that held five rounds, which you would shove into the open action of the rifle. With the Type 11, you could just toss the same five-round stripper clips into the top of the hopper as you fired, and it would feed from that. Theoretically this was advantageous because the gunner could borrow ammo from the riflemen in his section, and he could periodically top up his ready ammunition. In practice it was stupid because the hopper invited foreign matter like dirt, mud, and dust into the action, and if you had to move it was basically impossible to keep topping off so you'd tend to just run out at the worst time during an assault.
  • The Japanese standard heavy machine was based on an obsolete WWI-era design that fed from 30-round strips, whereas more modern machineguns fed from flexible canvas or disintegrating metal belts, which could be anywhere from 50 to 250 rounds. This meant that the Japanese emplacement machineguns had more downtime for reloading, which is bad for an emplaced weapon.
  • Their pistols sucked poo poo but honestly in the modern military context pistols barely matter so let's move on.
  • Swords. This is the 20th century, guys, who seriously issues swords as a combat weapon? Get real.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

EvanSchenck posted:

[*] Everything had bayonet lugs, even stuff like LMGs and SMGs that really had no business at all being used as a spear.

You know, I MIGHT see how this could make sense to a theorist - if you wanted your army to emphasize the idea of aggressive, close-in action, you could end up arguing that despite the fact that bayonet lugs are obviously useless on LMGs and SMGs, their presence would remind the soldiers of the correct "fighting spirit" and attitude to maintain. In practice I imagine the soldiers just get disgusted with idiot notions that give them extra weight to carry, but for a staff officer hopped up on the idea that morale factors matters more than material factors, it could make sense.

That said, I'm wildly theorizing myself. Does anyone have any idea what the actual reasoning was?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Nuclear War posted:

The HK416 carbine has lugs for a bayonet, but the bayonet for the regular sized 416 won't fit on them and noone I work with has ever seen a bayonet that fits the carbine in the system, which makes me think there actually isn't one in existence. Is this common, making guns with lugs just in case there's a demand somewhere down the line?
Also, I used a bayonet to cut bread once, so they arent completely obsolete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ2e9dzfBCo

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 14, 2014

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Tomn posted:

That said, I'm wildly theorizing myself. Does anyone have any idea what the actual reasoning was?

In fact it was pretty much exactly what you said re: instilling offensive spirit.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Big Willy Style posted:

Full Metal Jacket

Ice Cold in Alex (not really about the war, about a small group of people in the war)

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Nenonen posted:

Tali-Ihantala 1944. as a movie it's disconnected but all scenes are based on historical accounts and and are technically accurate. No love stories, plots, protagonists or other bullshit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BobJlVCRINY

This is acutally very well made. Can't understand a word, but perkele. Illustrates pretty well why that russian tanker on iremember dreaded fighting in the woods. Are they running into one ambush after the other?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Anybody have a strong opinion on When Trumpets Fade? I think I first saw it when I was 15 or something, and it was horrifying.

I watched it at about that age too, so I went ahead and got a copy to view again.

It definitely comes across as a TV movie sometimes, which is what it was. The dialogue sounds like its lifted from a mid-range stage production at times. The characters sound over-articulate and a little bit preachy, although maybe I've been spoiled by newer miniseries from HBO, and everything in 1998 was the same.

The film itself is still pretty watchable. The director, John Irvin, mostly made mediocre action films, but he did a commendable job with the cinematography, and maybe was doing the best he could with what he was given. It looks fairly well-produced given the circumstances.

The military aspect of the movie has been pretty questionable , to the point where I'm convinced the writer was just working from knowledge he gleaned from other war movies rather than any reality. And this is just technical, but the stand-ins they use for German tanks are pretty funky! I have no idea what they're made from.

The lead actor hasn't been in much but I liked him. There's a character played by Timothy Olyphant, who's been doing well in Justified. And Jeffrey Donovan, who's in.... Burn Notice. Yeah.

Edit: It's still a well-directed film, so I say it's a decent watch. There's one scene in particular that might stand out as "terrifying". I can say that you don't usually a see man's teeth splayed out from the front of his face on tv.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Dec 14, 2014

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

JaucheCharly posted:

This is acutally very well made. Can't understand a word, but perkele. Illustrates pretty well why that russian tanker on iremember dreaded fighting in the woods. Are they running into one ambush after the other?

The lieutenant is yelling "don't prod it against your chest!" It sounds crazy but the delivery of Panzerfaust to Finnish troops was done hastily and with minimal training, so accidents happened. The fausts along with Panzerschrecks had arrived to Finland in April 1944, so well before the operations began on 9th June, but Germans had stipulated that they would be kept as secrets - even though the AT weapons were nothing new to Soviets at that point. In fact, Soviet tankers were pleasantly surprised that the going wasn't as rough as when fighting against German infantry until after the first days, at which point they had already penetrated the first two defense lines.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Basically this

but for a new age.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

And this is just technical, but the stand-ins they use for German tanks are pretty funky! I have no idea what they're made from.

The movie was filmed in Hungary (really, they should have made a film on Frühlingserwachen and the siege of Budapest while they were there) so I'm going to guess it's a Gvozdika 122mm SPG. Same turret shape, barrel length relative to chassis and muzzle brake.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I watched the whole movie and had no idea what was going, other that the guys with the funny language were falling back and that there's constantly ambushes. The tank stuff seems pretty well made too, comparably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

JaucheCharly posted:

I watched the whole movie and had no idea what was going, other that the guys with the funny language were falling back and that there's constantly ambushes. The tank stuff seems pretty well made too, comparably.

Sounds like a good grunt pov from the Russian side.

• Locked thread