Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Honestly the thing just goes against the whole "we don't need men to protect us" poo poo in the loving opening song of all things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

This episode had a big chunk where the Senshi (minus Jupiter, who was knocked out against a wall) transformed and gave a bunch of threatening speeches. Great for people who make .gifs on Tumblr but didn't do a whole lot to disguise the fact that about 5 minutes worth of plot happened in this episode.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Travis343 posted:

This episode had a big chunk where the Senshi (minus Jupiter, who was knocked out against a wall) transformed and gave a bunch of threatening speeches. Great for people who make .gifs on Tumblr but didn't do a whole lot to disguise the fact that about 5 minutes worth of plot happened in this episode.

I'm just kind of glad some of the other girls got to do something in this episode, even if it's just Jupiter and Mercury being suspicious and doing some investigating, and then Jupiter ruining everything for everyone

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The bit with Minako and the sword was pretty good, though.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Travis343 posted:

(minus Jupiter, who was knocked out against a wall)

How did she get brainwashed/possessed again? Talking to Motoki who was also under Endo's spell or whatever?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

RMZXAnarchy posted:

How did she get brainwashed/possessed again? Talking to Motoki who was also under Endo's spell or whatever?

I'm pretty sure "Endo" hypnotized her himself. He hypnotized the real Endo (who is described as way more feminine by Motoki's girlfriend, lol) and Motoki and tried but failed to hypnotize Usagi.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

RMZXAnarchy posted:

She walked straight up to "Endo" and was like "hey dude, what the gently caress"

Jupiter is not wise

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
That also happened in the comics though right? I remember Jupiter being possessed/brainwashed for a few panels.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

HIJK posted:

That also happened in the comics though right? I remember Jupiter being possessed/brainwashed for a few panels.

Yeah, I was just fuzzy on how it happened which is why I asked. I haven't actually watched the episode.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Honestly the thing just goes against the whole "we don't need men to protect us" poo poo in the loving opening song of all things.

'Moon Pride' is such a blindingly amazing song and then the show itself delivers on none of its promises.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm also really mad all the girls aren't megagay.

gently caress 90s japan for not making the characters progressive enough

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Being with a man and needing his protection are not equivalent.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Fluffdaddy posted:

Being with a man and needing his protection are not equivalent.

Considering Crystal is all about making the Senshi look really weak (they've not been able to kill the Shitennou where they died in the Manga, all to please SenshiXShitennou fanfic writers) I wouldn't be surprised if they had the Shitennou survive long enough to try to protect the Senshi from Metalia or some poo poo (After they are freed of their brainwashing) and die in the process after they try to attack her and fail. Of all the things they added to the story, that's what they added? No real development for the Senshi except for them adding in past romances for... what purpose?

I mean, is the manga really packed so tight that they couldn't really deviate too much from the source (except for the Episode 10 bullshit) or are they just doing this poorly?

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Dec 8, 2014

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Considering Crystal is all about making the Senshi look really weak (considering they've not been able to kill the Shitennou where they died in the Manga, all to please SenshiXShitennou fanfic writers) I wouldn't be surprised if they had the Shitennou survive long enough to try to protect the Senshi from Metalia or some poo poo (After they are freed of their brainwashing) and die in the process after they try to attack her and fail. Of all the things they added to the story, that's what they added? No real development for the Senshi except for them adding in past romances for... what purpose?

I mean, is the manga really packed so tight that they couldn't really deviate too much from the source without spreading stuff over multiple episodes or are they just doing this poorly?

I really, really feel that they're just doing this poorly. The character and relationship development are so lacking, even on the relationship they've given the most time, between Usagi and Mamoru.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Dove from Above posted:

I really, really feel that they're just doing this poorly. The character and relationship development are so lacking, even on the relationship they've given the most time, between Usagi and Mamoru.

You know, we've been criticizing the studio and director for how poorly the senshi are coming off in this but isn't Takeuchi the one who's okaying any story changes in this? I thought the whole point of this remake was that it was gonna be closer to her vision of what the series was supposed to be.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Robviously posted:

You know, we've been criticizing the studio and director for how poorly the senshi are coming off in this but isn't Takeuchi the one who's okaying any story changes in this? I thought the whole point of this remake was that it was gonna be closer to her vision of what the series was supposed to be.

I honestly thought the most she was getting involved in the series was choosing VAs (And in addition giving her okay on the VAs for the English Dub) and ensuring the story followed a 1:1 chapter/episode ratio.

I'm sure somebody will dig up an article or something that says otherwise. But if it were following her original vision it better have Mercury being an android who loses a limb and dies dramatically (only to come back next time). I don't think the pairing thing was ever part of said "vision" and was only a fancy art piece originally.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I honestly thought the most she was getting involved in the series was choosing VAs (And in addition giving her okay on the VAs for the English Dub) and ensuring the story followed a 1:1 chapter/episode ratio.

I'm sure somebody will dig up an article or something that says otherwise. But if it were following her original vision it better have Mercury being an android who loses a limb and dies dramatically (only to come back next time). I don't think the pairing thing was ever part of said "vision" and was only a fancy art piece originally.

You can talk about fanfics and vision all you want, Takeuchi made poo poo up as she went along and one of the things she came up with after killing of most of the Four Kings was that they hooked up with the Sailor Team in their past lives.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Did she ever say that though? Or is that something the fans have filled in?

I buy that she made poo poo up as she went along (She did create a child character from the future with the exact same name and birthday as her mother, after all), but there's nothing on record saying she decided the Senshi hooked up with the Shitennou. In fact I thought she stated that she never planned for that (Except for Kunzite/Venus) and that image was just sort of a what-if sort of thing.

This is getting a bit silly though, arguing over whether the relationships of a fictional character with another fictional character are canon or not. Nothing good is going to come out of this.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
The great thing about the manga is that Mars burns Jedite to death.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Violet_Sky posted:

The great thing about the manga is that Mars burns Jedite to death.

That truly is one of the great things about the manga. Burn motherfucker burn. (Not that getting run over by a plane and then put into magic carbonite in the anime weren't also fun.)
I think the things I love best about the manga are a) how pretty and floaty everyone's hair is, especially characters with glossy dark hair like Rei and Setsuna, and b) Mamoru's characterisation, which I find more lovable and funny than the anime version (manga Mamoru strikes me as amusingly sassy, and is adorably flustered at times, while anime Mamoru starts out as a dick who spends several months bullying a middle-school kid before falling in love with her - and I just feel more comfortable with him being a high school boy than being college-age). When I was younger I didn't like how the manga tends to kill off characters that the anime often allows to live and have a chance to reform, but these days, I like having both versions; the manga is just a bit more hard-rear end about these things. Plus, Professor Tomoe totally deserved to die (or, arguably, Souichi Tomoe had been dead for some time and the thing using his body deserved to die), and killing him off avoids the extreme awkwardness at the beginning of the anime's final season when Pluto has to show up and be like 'we're confiscating your baby now you will have no more contact with her and never be heard from again don't ask any questions bye.'

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Well the good thing is we're out of past-life ex-boyfriends so the new anime shouldn't have any problems killing of new henchmen next arc.

Honestly, I just feel the Dark Kingdom's the weakest arc, and while I personally don't mind the whole Sailor Guardian/Four Kings couples deal, some of the changes don't help things, like going from the team wrecking Kunzite to getting beaten by the Four Kings in the last episode.

I do like how unashamedly evil the villains in the manga are compared to the old anime though, like Demande in the old anime being laboriously convinced by Sailor Moon that the dude who killed his brother might not have his best intentions in mind where in the manga Wiseman just says he's gonna destroy the planet and Demande figures "but I was going to conquer that planet!", that part will be somehow hilarious to me.

Anime Tomoe being an enthusiastic dork about being a mad scientist with a perpetual shadow over his face was great though, but then the anime Death Busters arc was full of great things like a villain always showing up in a Ghost Busters car.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Didn't one villain drive the car through a subway once? I remember the car popping out of the most random locations. :allears:

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Violet_Sky posted:

Didn't one villain drive the car through a subway once? I remember the car popping out of the most random locations. :allears:

That was Eudial, and she was awesome. She was also one of the most competent villains in the anime, and only died because a colleague murdered her (sabotaged the brakes in her car, filled it with snails [about which she had a phobia] so that when she noticed them she panicked and ran off the road, unable to slow down, crash bang dead). Kind of similar to Nephrite that way. If it weren't for the internal assassinations, either of those two might actually have achieved their organisation's goal, given time. But Zoisite and Mimete wanted to get the credit (and in fairness to Zoisite, he was pretty competent too and his one downfall was that he attempted the twofer of killing Tuxedo Mask as well as recovering the seven rainbow crystals), so we shall never know.
Never forget the time Eudial enthusiastically mimed playing the pipe organ in a cathedral, with a boombox beside her playing the actual music.
Never forget the time she defeated Usagi's magic wand forged from the love between her and Mamoru, with a home-made contraption including components from a blender and a vacuum cleaner.
Never forget how the stock footage of her setting out in her evilmobile always showed her fastening her seatbelt.

I often wish Eudial could just have gotten a transfer to Pokémon. She would have been a superb asset to Team Rocket.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Eudial was easily the most fun villain of S.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The DiC actress for Serena is going to be in the web series Bee and Puppycat, if anyone cares.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

a cartoon duck posted:

Well the good thing is we're out of past-life ex-boyfriends so the new anime shouldn't have any problems killing of new henchmen next arc.

Honestly, I just feel the Dark Kingdom's the weakest arc, and while I personally don't mind the whole Sailor Guardian/Four Kings couples deal, some of the changes don't help things, like going from the team wrecking Kunzite to getting beaten by the Four Kings in the last episode.

I do like how unashamedly evil the villains in the manga are compared to the old anime though, like Demande in the old anime being laboriously convinced by Sailor Moon that the dude who killed his brother might not have his best intentions in mind where in the manga Wiseman just says he's gonna destroy the planet and Demande figures "but I was going to conquer that planet!", that part will be somehow hilarious to me.

Anime Tomoe being an enthusiastic dork about being a mad scientist with a perpetual shadow over his face was great though, but then the anime Death Busters arc was full of great things like a villain always showing up in a Ghost Busters car.

I did quite like Crimson Rubeeus in the manga just if only for him being the only villain to straight up say "Screw it, I am not dying for this" and ditch the villain group. Sadly Death Phantom/Wiseman killed him just to be a dick.

On Tomoe yeah he is pretty great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYeL4Ch0UiY

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Okay I thought episode 11 was alright, even if episode 10 sucked.

While the characterization still isn't as good as the original anime I do like that there was a bit more character moments in this episode. Rei being annoyed with Usagi for buying so many snacks, Usagi being excited about the sleepover and Minako freaking out when she broke the diamond were good and more of the kind of stuff this show needs. Well, that and better animation, but I'm not holding out any hope for that one.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Dove from Above posted:

That was Eudial, and she was awesome. She was also one of the most competent villains in the anime, and only died because a colleague murdered her (sabotaged the brakes in her car, filled it with snails [about which she had a phobia] so that when she noticed them she panicked and ran off the road, unable to slow down, crash bang dead). Kind of similar to Nephrite that way. If it weren't for the internal assassinations, either of those two might actually have achieved their organisation's goal, given time. But Zoisite and Mimete wanted to get the credit (and in fairness to Zoisite, he was pretty competent too and his one downfall was that he attempted the twofer of killing Tuxedo Mask as well as recovering the seven rainbow crystals), so we shall never know.
Never forget the time Eudial enthusiastically mimed playing the pipe organ in a cathedral, with a boombox beside her playing the actual music.
Never forget the time she defeated Usagi's magic wand forged from the love between her and Mamoru, with a home-made contraption including components from a blender and a vacuum cleaner.
Never forget how the stock footage of her setting out in her evilmobile always showed her fastening her seatbelt.

I often wish Eudial could just have gotten a transfer to Pokémon. She would have been a superb asset to Team Rocket.

gently caress the characterization and senshi and other poo poo, if the anime skips out on this poo poo I am going to be wicked disappointed.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

So I finally got around to watching 7-9 of Crystal.

They were alright, but nothing special. The show's just been wholly disappointing, while I get a bit giddy when I watch even SuperS I kind of just feel bored when watching Crystal.

Obligatory Toast posted:

gently caress the characterization and senshi and other poo poo, if the anime skips out on this poo poo I am going to be wicked disappointed.

Crystal's not even going to get to the Infinity arc. So don't expect Eudial unless they decide that they want to do another season.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I get the distinct impression that Toei is putting forth effort (for once in this whole sordid affair) to separate the 'R' arc from the current one in some effort to get things moving sales wise.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

And that funny stuff is anime only. Eudial is a bland, one-off villain in the manga. Takeuchi never really developed the villains in the manga; the personalities we know and love/hate them for are creations of the anime.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Well, as Crystal's been showing, she never really developed the heroes either, outside of Mamoru and Usagi.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Their side stories did do that a bit and SuperS was a good arc for exploring their dreams and why they still chose to fight at Usagi's side instead of pursuing normal lives. But those weren't written until later...

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Did the changes from Broadcast to Bluray already come up? (drat my faulty memory)

L: Original R: Disc

I guess the comparisons originally came from here, but you can see a bunch of them grouped together and larger here: http://kotaku.com/the-new-sailor-moon-anime-has-changed-1670373950

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
The Bluray versions are definitely an improvement, but Rei and Ami still look... wrong... in some of those shots.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

jellycat posted:

The Bluray versions are definitely an improvement, but Rei and Ami still look... wrong... in some of those shots.

Yeah, in most cases it's just going from crappy to adequate, rather than all the way up to good.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

God drat there's some ugly rear end drawings in Crystal

Some of those actually look OK once theyre redone. I wonder why they changed what time the watch says in that one shot?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Dove from Above posted:

Yeah, in most cases it's just going from crappy to adequate, rather than all the way up to good.

At this point I'll take what I can get improvement-wise. At least they're upping it to adequate rather than not giving a poo poo at all.

Travis343 posted:

I wonder why they changed what time the watch says in that one shot?

I don't remember the episode/scene offhand and am too lazy to look it up but maybe they realized that a little after 6 was a bit too odd of a time for whatever was supposed to be going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Travis343 posted:

God drat there's some ugly rear end drawings in Crystal

Some of those actually look OK once theyre redone. I wonder why they changed what time the watch says in that one shot?

They didn't change the time. Check the numbers. The entire face of the watch was facing the wrong way.

• Locked thread