Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

pandaK posted:

Okay so I'm planning on returning the XPT100s. While they tended to overall sound a lot better than my previous cans (Steelseries Siberia), the bass on them is woefully lacking. I know it's unfair to compare the two in that regard since "gaming" headphones always have jacked up bass, but I guess I've just become so accustomed to that baseline that the XPTs just sound underwhelming to me. In addition to this, the XPT100s pinch my ears like a motherfucker after an hour of use. So I guess to avoid getting burned again, I'll formally ask for some advice on what to buy next this time around.

Budget - $200
Source - Desktop, no amp.
Isolation Requirements - Ideally, I'd prefer isolated. Will still accept open cans if they don't leak too much. Way more concerned about sound leaking out than leaking in.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear, on ear, don't really care.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Neutral, maybe a little bit more bass than usual. Not necessarily anything super bass heavy in particular.
Past Headphones - XPT100, everything besides the bass was a huge step up from the Siberia V2s I owned before.
Siberia V2, grew up off a history of lovely gaming headsets so I'm just too used to having strong bass.
Preferred Music - Varied

I've discussed this with a friend and he suggested a few headphones, linked below. I'd like to know which set would suit me the best, or if you guys in the thread have any better suggestions.
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio Technica ATH AD900X - though apparently these leak like a motherfucker so I'm pre-emptively marking them off.
Audio Technica ATH A900X - the closed can version of the above. Apparently bass-ier than the open version, which might be a plus.

Beyerdynamic DT-770-80
The AT's won't have the bass you want. The 598 will have more, but IMO, the 770-80 is pretty close to what you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

pandaK posted:

Okay so I'm planning on returning the XPT100s. While they tended to overall sound a lot better than my previous cans (Steelseries Siberia), the bass on them is woefully lacking. I know it's unfair to compare the two in that regard since "gaming" headphones always have jacked up bass, but I guess I've just become so accustomed to that baseline that the XPTs just sound underwhelming to me. In addition to this, the XPT100s pinch my ears like a motherfucker after an hour of use. So I guess to avoid getting burned again, I'll formally ask for some advice on what to buy next this time around.

My advice is to stretch the XPT100 over the box overnight to relieve some clamp. At the same time give them another day or two then try going back to your old gaming set. If you still enjoy the sound of them then you're a basshead, though I highly doubt the gaming headset is doing anything more than pumping out muddy mid-bass with little sub-bass presence.

Edit: I'm basing the sound of the Steel Series by the 4 gaming headsets I've tried and graphs of 6 other popular gaming headsets. I don't know for sure but that's the trend.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 5, 2014

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Retarded Pimp posted:

Beyerdynamic DT-770-80
The AT's won't have the bass you want. The 598 will have more, but IMO, the 770-80 is pretty close to what you're looking for.

Second these, and they're still on sale in guitar center, not black friday cheap but still not too bad.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
I've been thinking maybe instead of repairing my old headphones I'll upgrade to a higher class for christmas.

The Beyerdynamic DT-770-80 are the bestsellers on the german amazon and seem to be quite popular here to, I'm thinking of getting those. Is the 80 ohm version the right one to use for a laptop?
The JVC HA-RX700 were my previous headphones and I like those. The headphones should be comfortable, a lot of headphones are uncomfortably small for me. The headphones should provide a decent level of isolation but don't necessarily need to be 100% closed

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Bitfrost Uber came in today and I can now verify that my STX was the cause of the noise issue I was having lately. Every time I would load a game there would be a low electronic squealing that was directly tied to system actions or mouse movements, which drove me nuts. I now finally have a totally external setup!

I decided to pick Ziggy Stardust as my SACD to break this setup in. I'm not going to go crazy with a bunch of audiophile nonsense but I'll say that the record just sounds great and that I feel like I'm hearing the mix just as presented. I could clearly hear the pitch differences on the drums panning in on the beginning of Five Years from their reverb. Awesome.

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 6, 2014

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

What do you need the mic for?

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's a Blue Yeti Pro. I use it to record me and my friends when we jam for fun. It transmits crystal clear in games with decent voice codecs (that is a comment I hear a lot in games I play). I also used to run a weekly radio show on the goon radio station, Ghettoradio.us. For less than 200 bucks I've been seriously impressed with this mic's capabilities. I just hang it in the middle of a room while we jam and it basically captures the sound exactly as is (here's an example with zero mixing, editing beyond trim audio and fade in/out, etc).

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 6, 2014

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I have a bit of an issue I wasn't aware I even had.

So most of my life I've used headphones with foam cups or inner ear buds. These tend to not have the same hypoallergenic reactions that other materials can have. Also most of them either go way beyond my ears due to the size or rest just on them.

I just got a monoprice 7.1 gaming headset as a gift from a friend (analog and running through a sound card). The ear cups are form fitting around my ears. After a couple of hours of use and then the next day I get a rash from the pleather all around my ears. It's consistent and has happened for a week.

Can anyone recommend a 5.1 set with foam cups, preferably large ones? Or in any even something I can do with the pleather that might help limit reactions? I figure I can always get a standalone or something similar for a mic. I'm not sure if anyone else has had that kind of issue.

For reference, my Koss Portapros and my Gamescom 780 have never given me this kind of issue.

ZenVulgarity fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 7, 2014

Wardende
Apr 27, 2013
Read over the past 5 pages and it looks like the Rock-it R50s are what I want in terms of price/IEM style/quality, but they seem to be sold out everywhere!! Anyone have any comparable recommendations?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Wardende posted:

Read over the past 5 pages and it looks like the Rock-it R50s are what I want in terms of price/IEM style/quality, but they seem to be sold out everywhere!! Anyone have any comparable recommendations?

I think the Brainwavz B2 are essentially the same, but they seem sold out too...Hrm. I have a pair of the R-50 I would maybe sell if you can't find another option, but I'd honestly prefer not to.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Always worth checking Head-fi.org for used headphones too.

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
I just got around to updating a headphone guide I maintain, anyone care to look it over? The blurbs are mostly terrible and some of the plus/minus stuff is sketchy too. Its ordered more or less in terms of sound quality per dollar.

https://wiki.installgentoo.com/images/e/ed/Headphone_guide_2-6.png

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I need a gaming headset with a decent mic. Is this worth my money?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JJNQG98/?tag=pcggrtest-20

Wardende
Apr 27, 2013

Midorka posted:

I think the Brainwavz B2 are essentially the same, but they seem sold out too...Hrm. I have a pair of the R-50 I would maybe sell if you can't find another option, but I'd honestly prefer not to.

What's the next step up in quality/price point in IEMs from the R-50s?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If you're looking for wireless headphones, the Sennheiser RS120 is $60 in an Amazon lightning deal today: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001FTVEK/

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Wardende posted:

What's the next step up in quality/price point in IEMs from the R-50s?

Well it depends on your budget. I'm honestly not very well versed in IEMs from $200-$400. I have more experience with IEMs in the ~$100 range and some over $400. If $450 is in your budget joker, I and many others love the InEar SD-2. joker's list is the best to consult though.

tropical
Aug 14, 2003
Ahh say whut?
I'm looking for a set of bluetooth earbuds for my Dad for Christmas. There doesn't seem to be much selection out there but the Sony SBH80 set (http://store.sony.com/stereo-bluetooth-headset-zid27-SBH80BK/cat-27-catid-All-Earbuds) has pretty decent user reviews online. Anybody have any experience with these, or can somebody recommend some other models to look at? Thanks!

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

So I have the Fiio E5 amp and it's great however it has a problem where when it's plugged in/charging it I get static due to that. Are there any that don't have this problem? I tend to use them nearly all day long and as such there is a point at Enoch I have to charge then while still needing them.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Not sure where to go post this, so forgive me if it's the wrong thread...

My wife wants to get her father headphones that will allow him to watch TV in bed without waking her mom. He's already got a pair of Bose noise cancelling phones. What would we need to get to stream the audio from the TV to the phones he already has? This is a DirecTV remote box, no receiver.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Someone was looking at the Rock-It R-50 and I didn't want to sell, but something has come up to cause me to need some cash by next month for family things. PM me here or at isprettyrandom@gmail.com for a fair price.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Xik posted:

Takstar HI 2050 aka Technical Pro HPT990. If they look familiar, it's probably because they appear to be cheap Chinese knock-offs inspired by Beyer Dynamic DT 880's. I would have liked the real things because they just look so drat comfortable, but I don't think I can take the gamble due to the price.

I got these ones for $70NZD ($58USD) and was able to try them on first, so it wasn't much of a risk. I already said I preferred fabric over leather pads and wearing these just cement that opinion. The pads feel great and are really comfortable. The pressure on the outside of my ears is not super "heavy" either. It's perfect when the adjustable strap is completely extended, but my head is too small for them to be correctly supported that way unfortunately. I'm hoping the strap will get looser over time so it feels that way even when it's not fully extended.

As for the audio quality, I'm just a casual scrub and really not qualified to go into detail about it. I tried some classical music, chiptunes tracks and a couple of Star Trek movies, it all sounds fine. I couldn't notice anything obviously terrible.

ALSA Master volume is hovering on 50% volume and it's at a comfortable "background music" level. On the 3DS, putting the slider around 30-50% seems about right for normal operation in a quiet environment.

They are suppose to be "semi-open". I'm not sure what the functional difference between open and "semi-open" is suppose to be, so I guess I'll just describe the isolation of them as best I can. At a "typical" level (~50-60% volume) I can place them on the desk and not hear them in a silent room. If you go any higher then that, they start turning into budget speakers. At max volume, they can be heard in the next room.

If I can get the strap stretched out and loosen them up a bit more, I'll be really happy to keep these things around for quite some time.

Has anyone else tried these? I was recommended them by a guy in the Oculus/VR thread in games. I was looking at the Beyer's that've been recommended a lot in this thread but drat they are expensive.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

My girlfriend wants to buy her brother some new headphones for Christmas and wants to get him something nice but I want to make sure she doesn't buy some overpriced garbage headphones so I thought I'd ask here. He wants something he can wear doing physical activity. The one major caveat is that she wants to buy them for him tomorrow at a store because he's going overseas in a few days, so it has to be something you can find at Best Buy/Frys/Apple, basically, which rules out a lot of the more recommended stuff.

Budget - Under $300
Source - iPod
Isolation Requirements - Not important but doesn't hurt
Preferred Type of Headphone - In-ear/earbud
Preferred Tonal Balance - Neutral
Past Headphones - N/A
Preferred Music - N/A

Any suggestions?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mr. mephistopheles posted:

My girlfriend wants to buy her brother some new headphones for Christmas and wants to get him something nice but I want to make sure she doesn't buy some overpriced garbage headphones so I thought I'd ask here. He wants something he can wear doing physical activity. The one major caveat is that she wants to buy them for him tomorrow at a store because he's going overseas in a few days, so it has to be something you can find at Best Buy/Frys/Apple, basically, which rules out a lot of the more recommended stuff.

Budget - Under $300
Source - iPod
Isolation Requirements - Not important but doesn't hurt
Preferred Type of Headphone - In-ear/earbud
Preferred Tonal Balance - Neutral
Past Headphones - N/A
Preferred Music - N/A

Any suggestions?
You don't want to spend a lot of money on earbuds you'll use for physical activity because they'll be damaged through strain and sweat.

CX300 is a popular option around $50
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sennheiser-stereo-earphone-black/9265412.p
http://www.frys.com/product/6558133

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

So I bought some Sennheiser MM 500-X's in late June of this year and a few weeks ago, when I was taking them out of my case and when there was no pressure on them at all, the headband snapped off center. Now they feel awkward on my head and will fall off if I lean forward. I e-mailed Sennheiser and they said, "don't care - physical damage. pay us $150 to get a replacement." I can't believe they want $150 to replace $200 headphones that are barely used at all and snapped due to lovely construction.

Well, gently caress them. They were my favorite brand for years, but this just seems like a retarded policy. I'm looking for a replacement brand to follow. What I like is a good quality sound that is neutral which seems to be what Sennheiser provides most of the time. Can anyone recommend a different brand that has similar products? I still have my HD280's and HD380's so I'm looking just to replace a wireless headset at the moment.

TreFitty fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Dec 12, 2014

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Any recommendations for a bluetooth headset to use in a corporate environment for conference calls and the like? I'd be pairing it to a Nexus 4 phone. Budget is < $100.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Josh Lyman posted:

You don't want to spend a lot of money on earbuds you'll use for physical activity because they'll be damaged through strain and sweat.

CX300 is a popular option around $50
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sennheiser-stereo-earphone-black/9265412.p
http://www.frys.com/product/6558133

Aren't the CX300s kind of ancient and not recommended anymore? I'd buy one set of cheap ones for the gym (e.g. Meelectronics M6) and another higher-end pair for regular listening (e.g. Rock-It Sounds R-50).

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Lazyhound posted:

Aren't the CX300s kind of ancient and not recommended anymore? I'd buy one set of cheap ones for the gym (e.g. Meelectronics M6) and another higher-end pair for regular listening (e.g. Rock-It Sounds R-50).

Unfortunately the R-50 aren't really available anymore. I think the driver has been discontinued. Rock-It told me they were releasing a newer/upgraded model in the future though.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Check out the Vsonic VC1000 or HiFiMan RE400.
http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/vsonic-vc1000/
http://www.lendmeurears.com/vc1000/

http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/hifiman-re-400-waterline/
http://www.amazon.com/HiFiMAn-Elect...p=1418505972840

Yea, and something cheap to wear to the gym, like a set of KSC-75 clip-ons.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I currently use a set of ATH-M50 and I'm looking for as significant an upgrade as I can get for $300. The ATH-M50 are nice but I feel like I'm missing out on better sound and more comfort.

Budget - Up to $300
Source - Desktop computer at work running Spotify. No fancy sound card.
Isolation Requirements - Isolation is very important.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Full size
Preferred Tonal Balance - I'm not sure. I love hearing minute details in music but I also like bass. Probably a balanced sound with good bass.
Past Headphones - ATH-M50
Preferred Music - Tons of everything, listed in order of listening frequency: Rock (psychedelic new and old, acoustic, modern); Metal (doom, prog, death); Electronic (trance, psybient);

Headphones I've considered and flip-flopped on:

DT-770 Pro 80 ohm
Sennheiser Momentum (I'm concerned over ear cup size; I understand a model may come out in 2015 with a larger cup)
V-Moda M100
Mad Dog Pro

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

me your dad posted:

I currently use a set of ATH-M50 and I'm looking for as significant an upgrade as I can get for $300. The ATH-M50 are nice but I feel like I'm missing out on better sound and more comfort.

Budget - Up to $300
Source - Desktop computer at work running Spotify. No fancy sound card.
Isolation Requirements - Isolation is very important.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Full size
Preferred Tonal Balance - I'm not sure. I love hearing minute details in music but I also like bass. Probably a balanced sound with good bass.
Past Headphones - ATH-M50
Preferred Music - Tons of everything, listed in order of listening frequency: Rock (psychedelic new and old, acoustic, modern); Metal (doom, prog, death); Electronic (trance, psybient);

Headphones I've considered and flip-flopped on:

DT-770 Pro 80 ohm
Sennheiser Momentum (I'm concerned over ear cup size; I understand a model may come out in 2015 with a larger cup)
V-Moda M100
Mad Dog Pro

I haven't heard them but the Mr. Speaker Mad Dog sounds pretty close to your criteria as long as you're willing to amp. Maybe someone who has heard them can give more detail on them.

Reverence
Nov 1, 2009

Sennheiser HD 650's are 37% percent off on amazon atm, 313$

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Retarded Pimp posted:

I haven't heard them but the Mr. Speaker Mad Dog sounds pretty close to your criteria as long as you're willing to amp. Maybe someone who has heard them can give more detail on them.

I'd like to avoid getting an amp at the time of the headphone purchase, in order to keep it within the $300 mark.

Edit: I've heard primarily positive things about the Mad Dogs, but would they justify a $300 purchase paired with the money necessary to buy an amp which could drive them (which is how much money?).

Overall I just want something different but still fun, compared to the M50.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 14, 2014

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

me your dad posted:

I'd like to avoid getting an amp at the time of the headphone purchase, in order to keep it within the $300 mark.

Edit: I've heard primarily positive things about the Mad Dogs, but would they justify a $300 purchase paired with the money necessary to buy an amp which could drive them (which is how much money?).

The mad dogs are definitely good, but imo they aren't better enough than the m100 or momentum to justify the amp cost. I have the m100 and love it. It's somewhat v shaped, with very good bass. The momentum is warm, with somewhat recessed treble.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

me your dad posted:

Seems like you want the M100. Very fun and the bass is there. The Mad Dogs are more neutral and you may feel the bass is missing.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks all. There's a Brookstone nearby with VModa on demo so I'll swing by to check them out.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Just finished a review for the B&W P7 which I love, even at $400.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

quote:

Takstar HI 2050

So I picked up a pair of these and have them plugged in to the jack on the backplate of my Asus Z87-C motherboard. Unfortunately I'm experiencing a background hiss at any/all volume levels. Is this likely to be a faulty audio unit on the motherboard or do I have a bad pair of headphones, or should I set things up differently somehow?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Try plugging it into another source, like a decent smart phone or mp3 player and see if you get the same result.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

I'm eying up some new headphones due to where i'm living now.

Would the AKG K550's ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005CNR7B0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=24ZNAL2TEQCYP&coliid=I3LN22XQI3UV66) be a good choice? Only £100 but a perusal of this thread and elsewhere seems to be telling me to lean towards an open set so...

As an alternative Sennheiser HD518's ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0042A68R8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=24ZNAL2TEQCYP&coliid=I3L4VAY9LUZNL7 ) £20 less as well, which is nice,

This is basically for general use. Gaming, movies, music, all that. Not so much for heavy in depth editing or anything of that nature.

Though if you want the preferred format.

Budget - Up to £100, give or take. Preferably take.
Source - Xonar DGX, though this is subject to change.
Isolation Requirements - I don't think so?
Preferred Type of Headphone - No idea
Preferred Tonal Balance - I suppose i like more bass, but i'd lean towards balanced more than anything else.
Past Headphones - Creative Fatal1ty head set. Sound was alright, but the mic was awful and they tended to hurt my ears after a short time. The mic i'm sorting out elsewhere.
Preferred Music - Everything really. I suppose generally things with less vocals. Classical with choirs? Whatever that genre may be called. Movie trailer music basically is a favourite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

Any recommendations for a bluetooth headset to use in a corporate environment for conference calls and the like? I'd be pairing it to a Nexus 4 phone. Budget is < $100.
This is a difficult one, and I have been on the phone with numerous companies that sell these things asking for specifics like "how good as it at isolating audio that is not mine" "does it keep other sound out", and I always get half answers because all the products that do this well are 1) not on bluetooth 2) requiring a docking station for the headset which you have to be within vincinity of 3) super expensive.

I'd love to hear about if you find something on the cheapo for this, I have tried about 15 different kinds of BT headsets (both with a boom mic and with mic on the side of the device) that all were crap so far