Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

DJExile posted:

I'm still wondering if I do myself any favors going from the EM5 to the EM1 and I've been battling back and forth on it. Considering the cost difference it doesn't seem like I'd gain a whole lot.

On the other hand, it sounds like I'd finally be able to use my last 4/3 lens effectively again and I've been dying to do that.

Why not wait a month or two and hear what's up with the em5's successor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

Why not wait a month or two and hear what's up with the em5's successor.

This is also a good point.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Zack writes a comprehensive guide on the state of Fuji's X-system.

http://dedpxl.com/fuji-x-buyers-guide-part-1-cameras/

:getin:

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

red19fire posted:

Zack writes a comprehensive guide on the state of Fuji's X-system.

http://dedpxl.com/fuji-x-buyers-guide-part-1-cameras/

:getin:

He consider the XE1/2 the entry level bodies for the X cameras...I think he has the right idea.

Fuji should move the next XE body slightly down market and discontinue the XA/XM bodies. Fuji's entry body should have more manual control than the competitions.

When you think about it, it makes more sense to make a cheaper X100 than a cheaper XE1.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 13, 2014

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I wish fuji made an x100t with a 50 equivalent lens

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
They make a clip on bit that makes it 50 equivalent, and it doesn't even gently caress up the quality.

JSW2
Apr 26, 2008
I was thinking of picking up an XE-1 while its $699 with the 18-55, but with as old as the body is, is it still worthwhile? Or should I look at the EM-10 with the 14-42?

The only digital camera I have is a RX100M3; other than that, I'm medium format film with my GF670 and 3.5E2 Rolleiflex.

JSW2 fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 13, 2014

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Just FYI if you buy plastic steelies you are doing it seriously wrong.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

JSW2 posted:

I was thinking of picking up an XE-1 while its $699 with the 18-55, but with as old as the body is, is it still worthwhile? Or should I look at the EM-10 with the 14-42?

The only digital camera I have is a RX100M3; other than that, I'm medium format film with my GF670 and 3.5E2 Rolleiflex.

Both are great cameras and systems, pick whichever you want.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
I managed to pick up a new x-e1 for $350cad shipped and now I'm on the hunt for the 35mm 1.4

And selling my d7000 and 30mm 1.4 :unsmith: going to hang onto my 80-200 and 85 1.4 for when I manage to scrape together some money for a d750.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

JSW2 posted:

Why not buy the EM5 used, and then put the 20/1.7 on it.
That's the way I roll, and it being 40mm equivalent, the FOV matches most of my MF gear.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Why are the Fuji X100 series so loved, whats the appeal? Are they much smaller than an X-E2?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Animal posted:

Why are the Fuji X100 series so loved, whats the appeal? Are they much smaller than an X-E2?

I think the focal range is a good one for a lot of applications, the image quality is good. The way the physical controls are set up you can see right away what your exposure settings are at, and if you want to set it to auto you just choose it on the dial instead of having yet another dial for shooting mode. Seems like a small bare bones but high performance little camera and looks great.

I don't own one though so I should stop talking about it... must not buy more cameras.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Animal posted:

It's an X-Pro with a single really really good lens.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
just picked up my x100t the other day, was waiting for an all-black one to come in stock. Loving it so far, just looking for tips for configuration, there's a lot of tweaking I'll have to do to dial in my custom settings but I know once I have it all figured out I'll be in love.

I think I'm going to get a hood and decent filter and just roll w/out the lens cap on like it's a rangefinder. It's the perfect form factor for street photography and candid stuff.

can anyone point me to some quick tips or setup guide?

ChirreD
Feb 21, 2007
Dutch, baby!

Animal posted:

Outstanding quality in a seriously small and silent package.
This camera helps me get a lot of authentic images because people are not initimidated by it, or don't even notice you are taking pictures. It's very discreet.

MMD3 posted:

just picked up my x100t the other day, was waiting for an all-black one to come in stock. Loving it so far, just looking for tips for configuration, there's a lot of tweaking I'll have to do to dial in my custom settings but I know once I have it all figured out I'll be in love.

I think I'm going to get a hood and decent filter and just roll w/out the lens cap on like it's a rangefinder. It's the perfect form factor for street photography and candid stuff.

can anyone point me to some quick tips or setup guide?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPMnqzjLEAs
Here, although it's about the x100s, shouldn't matter too much.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I'm admittedly not a life-long photographer, and I've maybe only shot with a dozen different bodies, but something about the X100 just felt "right". I took it everywhere, didn't worry that I was sacrificing quality, and the leaf shutter was completely silent. I learned to move with my feet, I learned to think about composition differently. It's one of the few times in photography that I felt like the camera was an extension of me, and not another system that I had to work within the constraints of - I was documenting moments and not just JPGs/RAFs. It feels like it's a real camera, with some heft to it, like when you hold good electronics that have that weight to them. It was the first OVF with digital, and my first experience with a fixed lens camera, and I can't tell how much of that is nostalgia for something new at the time or actual magic. I miss mine terribly, and an XPro1/XE1/XT1 with a 23, 27, or 35 don't scratch that itch.

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 14, 2014

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

MMD3 posted:

a hood and decent filter

Hood yes. Filters never. Don't put cheap glass in front of your orgasmic amazing glass.

I've had my og x100 for years now, no filter just hood. Even taking it backpacking many times, the lens is spotless.

Also, if anybody wants to write a new OP, please go ahead and I'll post it. Or even new bits and pieces to fill out each individual system.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I get that the x100t is an awesome camera. What I don't is whats so much better than carrying an X-E2 with the 23mm 1.4? It seems its fixed 23mm is much smaller which should be nice (my 23mm is gigantic) but then again its not as bright. other than that, I dont know... I want to understand whats the advantage of using it with lens conversions instead of an X-E2/X-Pro1 with a few primes? Is the body itself also much smaller?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Animal posted:

I get that the x100t is an awesome camera. What I don't is whats so much better than carrying an X-E2 with the 23mm 1.4? It seems its fixed 23mm is much smaller which should be nice (my 23mm is gigantic) but then again its not as bright. other than that, I dont know... I want to understand whats the advantage of using it with lens conversions instead of an X-E2/X-Pro1 with a few primes? Is the body itself also much smaller?

I don't consider it "so much better". They're slightly smaller, and heavier, than the XEs with a 27mm "pancake". The XE1/2 feel plasticy and cheap compared to the heavy, dense X100 line. The OVF is a nice touch too, although the newer EVFs are finally usable. It sounds cheesy what I said about "capturing moments", but the X100 was just fun to shoot with - like a point and shoot, except with the quality and functionality you were used to with a giant DSLR. I don't really see the point to the converters unless you're dedicated to only having a single camera. For the cost of the converters just buy a used XE1 and some glass.

edit: for me, part of the magic was not worrying about lenses to buy and carry around. I had a single lens and that was it. It's extremely freeing if you've ever been (irrationally) paralyzed by gear issues.

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 14, 2014

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I started my X series obsession with an X100S and quickly realized that what I really wanted was an Xpro. The X100 is awesome but it's a tiny bit small for me. I didn't even like the X-E2's size until I put a grip on it. My Xpro is the perfect size and weight for me, add a thumb grip and it's my favorite handheld camera. Plus 27mm is perfect carry around size, I recommend everyone scoop that lens up if they can find a cheap one (I paid $200 for a mint silver one on CL).

ChirreD
Feb 21, 2007
Dutch, baby!

Animal posted:

I think the convertors for x100s is when you want to stick to that camera. If you'd also own a X system camera, I wouldn't see the need for the convertors.

The quality difference between the XF23 vs x100s is not big. I love both though.
I own the XF23 and the X100s, and the biggest difference in performance is the photographer imo.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I went from an X100 to an X-Pro and the main thing I noticed, other than size and weight, was the leaf shutter on the X100 allowed me to shoot handheld at much lower speeds than I ever thought was possible.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Another couple of things to add to the awesomeness of the X100 are the flash sync speeds and built in ND filter. I still have the original X100, and even though I know I am missing out on the upgrades, it is still the camera I use the most because it is the camera I take with me everywhere I go. I actually have been on the fence about those adapters because unless I sell my Canon stuff I don't feel like getting too deep into another interchangeable lens system.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

RustedChrome posted:

I went from an X100 to an X-Pro and the main thing I noticed, other than size and weight, was the leaf shutter on the X100 allowed me to shoot handheld at much lower speeds than I ever thought was possible.

How do you like the x-pro1? I'm thinking about getting the one 70's shirt is selling in the buy/sell thread. I have the x100s and I love it, but going by Zack Arias's article above I think I'd like a lightweight travel type camera with interchangeable lenses.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

red19fire posted:

How do you like the x-pro1? I'm thinking about getting the one 70's shirt is selling in the buy/sell thread. I have the x100s and I love it, but going by Zack Arias's article above I think I'd like a lightweight travel type camera with interchangeable lenses.

The ability to change lenses with the IQ of Fuji is what led me to switch. I enjoyed the X-pro a lot and the current firmware is miles above what it started with. I jumped to full frame mirrorless but I still miss that rangefinder form factor and OVF of the X-pro.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

ChirreD posted:

Outstanding quality in a seriously small and silent package.
This camera helps me get a lot of authentic images because people are not initimidated by it, or don't even notice you are taking pictures. It's very discreet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPMnqzjLEAs
Here, although it's about the x100s, shouldn't matter too much.

awesome, thanks, I'll give this a watch... for some reason I haven't been able to figure out where the default review time setting is (default is none) and I would like to figure out if I can make a specific custom setting shoot in silent mode, etc. I love how it handles manual focus already and I wasn't anticipating liking using the EVF over the OVF as much as I am so far although I'm really happy to have them both as options. The layout of the controls and having tactile controls on the outside of the camera for aperture, shutter, exposure are really making this camera a joy to shoot with so far. It's true that it's a lot easier to get in close and get those shots that you just wouldn't be able to get with an SLR without it being super awkward socially.

here are a few dog pics from a hike I took today, straight out of the camera...

(little underexposed)

I'm so used to shooting in RAW only mode w/ my SLR that being able to take photos, send them via wifi to the ipad for review and then just be surprised when they don't need any major work (maybe exposure tweaking in vsco mobile if I do need to) is a total joy.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Anyone hook their camera up to a telescope? If so can you summarize how and link a few photos you have managed to take..

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Ropes4u posted:

Anyone hook their camera up to a telescope? If so can you summarize how and link a few photos you have managed to take..

the folks to ask would probably be in this thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3170088

lots of astrophotographers in there.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ropes4u posted:

I tried a t-mount adapter with my GF1 to try out digiscoping. Results weren't very good. Essentially the telescope becomes the lens, and I had a cheap crap scope at the time. To get really good results digiscoping, I would say you kind of need "alpha" glass, or drat near. I don't know about astro photography, but for earthbound stuff, there's no cheap way of seeing far, well, as usual.
I can attach a couple of examples tomorrow to show how bad bad is if you're morbidly curious.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Rontalvos posted:

Hood yes. Filters never. Don't put cheap glass in front of your orgasmic amazing glass.

I've had my og x100 for years now, no filter just hood. Even taking it backpacking many times, the lens is spotless.

Also, if anybody wants to write a new OP, please go ahead and I'll post it. Or even new bits and pieces to fill out each individual system.

btw, I'm not talking about a cheap filter... just ordered a B+W, it's still only $30 on amazon but it's good quality glass and then I never have to worry about a lens cap.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

MMD3 posted:

btw, I'm not talking about a cheap filter... just ordered a B+W, it's still only $30 on amazon but it's good quality glass and then I never have to worry about a lens cap.

that still qualifies as a cheap filter. do not disrespect your good glass with that kinda-coated filth.

you don't even want to know what good filters cost (like $120 for a 77mm B&W UV filter that is still probably trash.)

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Plus, your front element can handle not having a lens cap or a filter, SoundMonkey violently assaulted a lens with a big rear end branch and it was fine.

Anytime you put additional glass in front of your lens, there's always going to be a degradation to image quality, sometimes negligible sometimes not. (There's a reason why the title of the camera gear thread is "Don't buy UV filters")

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Here is a comprehensive list of times to put a uv filter onto a camera:
-

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Geektox posted:

Plus, your front element can handle not having a lens cap or a filter, SoundMonkey violently assaulted a lens with a big rear end branch and it was fine.

Anytime you put additional glass in front of your lens, there's always going to be a degradation to image quality, sometimes negligible sometimes not. (There's a reason why the title of the camera gear thread is "Don't buy UV filters")

Yeah that happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG2B20F8c84

ape
Jul 20, 2009

MMD3 posted:

awesome, thanks, I'll give this a watch... for some reason I haven't been able to figure out where the default review time setting is (default is none)

You can find that in screen set-up -> image disp under the 2nd menu with the little wrench next to it. I'm still figuring mine out, too. It has a ridiculous amount of configuration options.

ape fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Dec 15, 2014

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Anybody have suggestions for Fuji X-series custom profiles? I'm thinking one for default, one for black and white, and one with punchy Velvia colors (hopefully to be replaced with a Classic Chrome profile if/when that comes in a firmware update for my X100s). Specific settings for the profiles would be appreciated.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

SoundMonkey posted:

that still qualifies as a cheap filter. do not disrespect your good glass with that kinda-coated filth.

you don't even want to know what good filters cost (like $120 for a 77mm B&W UV filter that is still probably trash.)

welp... okay then. dunno, I never bothered buying them for my SLR because I figured I didn't need to own different filters for different lenses but figured w/ a single lens it would be good to have one. order canceled, I'll live with just the hood.

ChirreD
Feb 21, 2007
Dutch, baby!

404notfound posted:

Anybody have suggestions for Fuji X-series custom profiles? I'm thinking one for default, one for black and white, and one with punchy Velvia colors (hopefully to be replaced with a Classic Chrome profile if/when that comes in a firmware update for my X100s). Specific settings for the profiles would be appreciated.

I really like pro-neg Hi (high contract) and standard (normal contrast) with a little big of tweaking, shadow +1 and highlight +1 to get more of the S curve going on.
But it's always fun to experiment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

MMD3 posted:

the folks to ask would probably be in this thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3170088

lots of astrophotographers in there.

Thank you for the link!