Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selane
May 19, 2006

shodanjr_gr posted:

That works about 20% of the time.

They're fairly reliable, but you have to go over them pretty slowly and it's physically impossible to use them one-handed, which makes them practically useless anyway. If you need to use two hands it's almost as fast to just type in a pin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Selane posted:

They're fairly reliable, but you have to go over them pretty slowly and it's physically impossible to use them one-handed, which makes them practically useless anyway. If you need to use two hands it's almost as fast to just type in a pin.

yeah but at least they got that checkbox on the spec sheet filled in

dirtyfrog
Apr 15, 2003

The Fantastic Fapping Frog
Well I just can't get on with the vibrating screen of the Air 2. Tried to return it to PC World this morning, and they won't refund as there's nothing technically wrong with it. Didn't stay and argue, it's my loving birthday today and I can do without getting upset, but I'm really pissed off. I've got a £479 device that I can't use for more than half an hour without getting weird tingling in my fingers. Have to hope that a calm polite email to head office will do the trick, otherwise I'll have to sell it on myself and inevitably take a hit on the selling price.

Third iPad I've owned, and the first that I actually hate. Even with a case on, this thing vibrates more on full volume than a bloody phone with haptic feedback. So disappointed with Apple on the design of this one. And yet there's loads of you in this thread that think it's great - how am I having such a different experience?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

dirtyfrog posted:

Well I just can't get on with the vibrating screen of the Air 2. Tried to return it to PC World this morning, and they won't refund as there's nothing technically wrong with it. Didn't stay and argue, it's my loving birthday today and I can do without getting upset, but I'm really pissed off. I've got a £479 device that I can't use for more than half an hour without getting weird tingling in my fingers. Have to hope that a calm polite email to head office will do the trick, otherwise I'll have to sell it on myself and inevitably take a hit on the selling price.

Third iPad I've owned, and the first that I actually hate. Even with a case on, this thing vibrates more on full volume than a bloody phone with haptic feedback. So disappointed with Apple on the design of this one. And yet there's loads of you in this thread that think it's great - how am I having such a different experience?

The vibrations bother you. They don't bother most people. I don't really use my iPad with the volume on except for maybe like, 10% of the time (and most of that is with headphones on) so I probably wouldn't care about that at all, personally.

I really thought most retailers would take a return if you hated the product, so I'm sorry that that's not an option. Which "head office" are you talking about here?

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

dirtyfrog posted:

I use listen to music a lot on my Air 2 and agree it's very annoying, but I'm beginning to get used to it and it's not a complete deal breaker for me. Apple definitely needs to fix it in the next iteration though.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Tacier posted:

I use listen to music a lot on my Air 2 and agree it's very annoying, but I'm beginning to get used to it and it's not a complete deal breaker for me. Apple definitely needs to fix it in the next iteration though.

It's just physics, you can't have load sound coming out of something this thin without it vibrating.

They could make the speakers worse maybe, but not much they can do.

I can't quite believe anyone listens to a relatively tiny iPad speaker on full volume.

I'd recommend a little Bluetooth wireless speaker if you use the iPad with sound constantly, much better sound, no vibration.

Or get a Bluetooth / airplay receiver and wire into your home stereo system.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

wooger posted:

It's just physics, you can't have load sound coming out of something this thin without it vibrating.

They could make the speakers worse maybe, but not much they can do.

I can't quite believe anyone listens to a relatively tiny iPad speaker on full volume.

I'd recommend a little Bluetooth wireless speaker if you use the iPad with sound constantly, much better sound, no vibration.

Or get a Bluetooth / airplay receiver and wire into your home stereo system.

Seems like there might be ways to dampen the vibrations. The iPad 2 was pretty thin too by most objective standards and it didn't have the same problem. I don't know whether the boomsound speakers on the Nexus 9 vibrate the unit or not, but I haven't heard any complaints there and they're better and louder than the Air 2.

I listen to most of my music at home on my iPad because my Klipsch floorstanders are too boomy and I don't want to annoy my neighbors. A small Bluetooth wireless speaker would probably be a good idea.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why not headphones? I think the iPad works great for stuff like podcasts but music sounds like dogshit.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Tacier posted:

Seems like there might be ways to dampen the vibrations. The iPad 2 was pretty thin too by most objective standards and it didn't have the same problem. I don't know whether the boomsound speakers on the Nexus 9 vibrate the unit or not, but I haven't heard any complaints there and they're better and louder than the Air 2.

I listen to most of my music at home on my iPad because my Klipsch floorstanders are too boomy and I don't want to annoy my neighbors. A small Bluetooth wireless speaker would probably be a good idea.

Yeah, I recommend the UE MiniBoom. It's great and holds two (or more?) connections at once, so if the iPad is paused and you want to play a song through your laptop, you just hit play and it switches over the input automatically.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I want to buy a nice back cover for my mini. I want something comic book related to cover the whole back without using the Apple logo in some way. Maybe a skin or sticker?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I think this is a question about iPad and not an app… but all of a sudden on my iPad (which is 8.1 I think?) Any video that plays either in the Jasmine app or just via Safari comes through as super tiny and I have to hit the expand button to get it to go fullscreen. Anyone know what is going on? This is definitely new behavior. (And by tiny I mean slightly larger than a postage stamp or maybe two side-by-side.)

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Other YouTube apps are doing this as well, it must have been a change in the API and the developers just haven't updated to meet the changes.

I'm not sure of all the apps that have updated, but for what it's worth, Tubex has been working perfectly fine for me.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Slowhanded posted:

Other YouTube apps are doing this as well, it must have been a change in the API and the developers just haven't updated to meet the changes.

I'm not sure of all the apps that have updated, but for what it's worth, Tubex has been working perfectly fine for me.

Thanks. So it's on Youtube's end most likely. I think Jasmine is a dead app, but I expect Safari (native browser for iOS) should fall in line... right?

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
This is a longshot (and I searched but you know...) but has anyone had any experience with iPad Mini Retina repair services (specifically a cracked digitizer)? I'd do it myself, but everything I've read tells me that it's exceedingly difficult and easy to gently caress up. They seem to run about $100 on average, but I have no clue what's reputable out there.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

bvoid posted:

This is a longshot (and I searched but you know...) but has anyone had any experience with iPad Mini Retina repair services (specifically a cracked digitizer)? I'd do it myself, but everything I've read tells me that it's exceedingly difficult and easy to gently caress up. They seem to run about $100 on average, but I have no clue what's reputable out there.

Don't do it and get apple to fix it for you

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

This, any 3rd party repairs will void any kind of future Apple Store repairs as well.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Many options for repairing a cracked screen on an iPad 2? I have a local shop willing to swap screens for $100, which seems reasonable. Any way for me to do it myself?

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Many options for repairing a cracked screen on an iPad 2? I have a local shop willing to swap screens for $100, which seems reasonable. Any way for me to do it myself?

Ifixit.com has a kit, with the digitiser part and tools for around $100.

Without the tools it's $95 or so.

So if you want to gently caress about doing it yourself you can.

HortonNash fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 13, 2014

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Well they charge $250 for cracked-screen repairs (yeah yeah should have gotten AppleCare) and a new one is $299. And cracked screen retinas are going for about $150 on eBay, so I might as well go that route.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I just got an Apple iPad air 2. So my main question is: what the gently caress do I do with this? I won it at a company christmas party drawing. I'm happy to win it, but I don't own any apple devices so I have nothing on their ecosystem at all. I have android smartphones, I use a google chromebook for casual browsing, and my WiiU and 3DS for gaming, and my windows laptop for VPN to work. So, my wife and I have a lot of devices, none of them on this ecosystem.

I don't really want to sell it because it's a really nice thing and I'm happy my company gave it to me, I'm trying to figure out what my use case scenario is. I'm even pretty much destined to have one I guess, my favorite coat actually has an iPad pocket. I haven't taken it out of the box yet or turned it on. I feel like I've been given a really nice painting and I have to put it on my wall somewhere.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

greatn posted:

I just got an Apple iPad air 2. So my main question is: what the gently caress do I do with this? I won it at a company christmas party drawing. I'm happy to win it, but I don't own any apple devices so I have nothing on their ecosystem at all. I have android smartphones, I use a google chromebook for casual browsing, and my WiiU and 3DS for gaming, and my windows laptop for VPN to work. So, my wife and I have a lot of devices, none of them on this ecosystem.

I don't really want to sell it because it's a really nice thing and I'm happy my company gave it to me, I'm trying to figure out what my use case scenario is. I'm even pretty much destined to have one I guess, my favorite coat actually has an iPad pocket. I haven't taken it out of the box yet or turned it on. I feel like I've been given a really nice painting and I have to put it on my wall somewhere.

There seem to be a lot of people complaining about it vibrating a lot when you listen to music on the built-in speakers too loud.

First things first. You need to carefully unbox it and open it up. After you power it on it will guide you through the setup. You should create accounts for the Apple Store so you can download music from iTunes. I recommend getting something with a lot of bass first, but make sure it's something you know well and are intimately familiar with.

Once it's downloaded, open up the music app and it will be there. Then you can turn it up to max volume to really get it vibrating. Then you can bend over and shove it up straight up your rear end.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Suqit posted:

There seem to be a lot of people complaining about it vibrating a lot when you listen to music on the built-in speakers too loud.

First things first. You need to carefully unbox it and open it up. After you power it on it will guide you through the setup. You should create accounts for the Apple Store so you can download music from iTunes. I recommend getting something with a lot of bass first, but make sure it's something you know well and are intimately familiar with.

Once it's downloaded, open up the music app and it will be there. Then you can turn it up to max volume to really get it vibrating. Then you can bend over and shove it up straight up your rear end.

:stare:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I use Amazon for music though.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Uh I use my iPad for reading documents, especially for homework, watching Netflix and loving around. Hope this helps you discover your use case.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

It'll fit in naturally with your habits, don't overthink it. Most people end up preferring their iPad to a laptop for content consumption, since it's pretty much the ideal form factor for reading books and the news and comics and stuff.

If you do certain types of work, it can become essential. I do a lot of academic work and it's ideal for that sort of stuff.

I don't really use mine for music at all.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Actually, come to think of it, does it have VPN capability and a remote desktop client? If I could just grab this nice lightweight thing instead of pulling out my old laptop when I need to log into work to check something that would be nice. Also I was thinking if I could develop some iOS versions of applications we use at work it could be very useful for our company, can these be used for debugging or in developer mode?

My wife's a professor, author, and researcher, so this has good tools for that kind of thing as well?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Give it to your wife. With GoodReader it'll be perfect for research. Maybe Evernote too.

If you wanna program for it, you'll need a Mac I think, as the tools aren't available for other systems.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That's disappointing.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
You could get a Mac mini for iOS programming.

Also I think VPN works but I know jack poo poo about that so it's better somebody else answers that.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

greatn posted:

That's disappointing.

There are no disappointing iPads... only disappointing users.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

greatn posted:

Actually, come to think of it, does it have VPN capability and a remote desktop client? If I could just grab this nice lightweight thing instead of pulling out my old laptop when I need to log into work to check something that would be nice. Also I was thinking if I could develop some iOS versions of applications we use at work it could be very useful for our company, can these be used for debugging or in developer mode?

My wife's a professor, author, and researcher, so this has good tools for that kind of thing as well?

VPN is built in and there are myriad Remote Desktop apps, I use realvnc.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

greatn posted:

First, give yourself to it utterly op.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

greatn posted:

Well, the first thing you might consider is opening it up and turning it on and playing around with it and maybe browsing the app store for things that might be good for you for entertainment or productivity.
Alternatively, it might make a very large paperweight.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

Well, the first thing you might consider is opening it up and turning it on and playing around with it and maybe browsing the app store for things that might be good for you for entertainment or productivity.
Alternatively, it might make a very large paperweight.

My parents have hung theirs from a nail on the wall in the kitchen using an alligator clip. It's just a cookbook. :iiam:

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

I've found iPads are good for leveling rickety tables. You can get them in different sizes and thicknesses.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Your coat has an iPad pocket?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's a ScotteVest trench, it has a pocket for everything.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

maduin posted:

Your coat has an iPad pocket?

A big reason I bought the mini over the air was that it neatly fits into most of my coat pockets.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
Are there any good waterproof bags for the iPad mini? Googling it just gives me those clear plastic bags. I want something like this: http://www.johnlewis.com/fast-cars-soft-ipad-case-blue/p1597205. A bag that protects from scratches in my backpack and waterproof. I don't have to use it while it's in the bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Suqit posted:

Replace the OP with this.