Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

bobbilljim posted:

i want to go to the car wreckers and get some factory speakers out of a bunch of cars and make a lovely stereo out of them for the garage

i did this when i was a guitar nerd, i went to the flea market and bought every speaker under $3 and then hooked them all in series/parallel to approximate the 4 ohms of my guitar amp and then duct taped them all to a cardboard box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

bobbilljim posted:

i want to go to the car wreckers and get some factory speakers out of a bunch of cars and make a lovely stereo out of them for the garage

you can make a car seat couch and a lamp from dome lights too

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

NoneMoreNegative posted:

First prototype printing now; something to go on top of the tree (there's a second part that clips on to the bottom to fit on the tree), just waiting on some red EL wire and a driver/battery in the post :twisted:

http://instagram.com/p/wccKlgGMt0/

Hailin' p. hard here :cool:

Also would you believe that ABS / EL wire / both are the only things in the universe that superglue doesn't work on!? :mad:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
no joke if my car (an old ford zx2) has some catastrophic shitfit i'm taking the seats out before i scrap it. they are the most comfortable car seats i've ever sat in and i would absolutely make them into tv watching recliners

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Also would you believe that BS / EL wire / both are the only things in the universe that superglue doesn't work on!? :mad:

i don't know what "bs" is in this context but for ungluable plastic objects you want either (1) the loctite "plastics system" with a 2-part cyanoacrylate that you prepare the surfaces with prior to gluing, or (2) silicone aquarium sealant. these are the only things i've found that will glue eg. rubber to glass, silicone gaskets to metal, etc

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Also would you believe that ABS / EL wire / both are the only things in the universe that superglue doesn't work on!? :mad:

poast the STL

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
and one speakers, if you don't give a gently caress, get whatever. . . I mean I have an old pair of 73 klipsch speakers in my carport, hooked up to some harmon kardon receiver I got on woot for like $55. . .

Inside I have a higher end receiver with a set of floor standing polks I got for like $50 a pop, and a $35 center channel. works for me, won't fix.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
also for my current spare time project, I got a gently caress load of leaves in my yard (3 great oaks, gently caress me). . . bought this ballin rear end electric leaf blower/mulcher, but the mulch bag it comes with is horrendously small.

ordered a 32 gallon trash can and lid, it has a 4" output tube when in mulch mode (adapter for "compostable" bags). Gonna cut a hole in that lid of that trash can, add some vent holes, in it, and shove some 4" flex pipe from the output to the can. gently caress tiny bags.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

enotnert posted:

poast the STL

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3812093/pentagram4.zip

Printed at %540 to get it to just fit on my UP! Mini deck... Go bigger and get fatter EL Wire if you have the means, I had to use the thin 1.3mm stuff.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

NoneMoreNegative posted:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3812093/pentagram4.zip

Printed at %540 to get it to just fit on my UP! Mini deck... Go bigger and get fatter EL Wire if you have the means, I had to use the thin 1.3mm stuff.

I got a replicator 2 at work, been threatening the wife to add this to it after you posted it.

all she said was "hail satan"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Erwin posted:

you can make a car seat couch and a lamp from dome lights too

wish there was a bigger pic

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Jonny 290 posted:

i did this when i was a guitar nerd, i went to the flea market and bought every speaker under $3 and then hooked them all in series/parallel to approximate the 4 ohms of my guitar amp and then duct taped them all to a cardboard box

aww yiss

Jonny 290 posted:

wish there was a bigger pic

i would never be allowed to have this, but aww yissss

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

enotnert posted:

and one speakers, if you don't give a gently caress, get whatever. . . I mean I have an old pair of 73 klipsch speakers in my carport, hooked up to some harmon kardon receiver I got on woot for like $55. . .

Inside I have a higher end receiver with a set of floor standing polks I got for like $50 a pop, and a $35 center channel. works for me, won't fix.

klipsches are pretty good

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Panty Saluter posted:

klipsches are pretty good

oh i know, i got them back in 2002, a friends parents had them, they're signed by the engineers and the QA team. . . I paid dick poo poo for them, and they still sound amazing even after the hell i put them through.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
One of my biggest lifelong regrets, and the reason I take careful care of any old manuals or documentation now, is that I stupidly lost an entire notebook of engineering notes that were given to me in high school by my buddy's father. They were the notes of his old boss, Paul Klipsch.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

One of my biggest lifelong regrets, and the reason I take careful care of any old manuals or documentation now, is that I stupidly lost an entire notebook of engineering notes that were given to me in high school by my buddy's father. They were the notes of his old boss, Paul Klipsch.

:captainpop:

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

Same but his name was Albert Einstein.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Chill Callahan posted:

Same but his name was Albert Einstein.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Jonny 290 posted:

i am amazed you did not kill yourself

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Chill Callahan posted:

Same but his name was Robert Paulsen

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

high school robot competition tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWOUrKUEeKQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfbXy84KxKs

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 13, 2014

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

STOP BLOCKING USSS

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah by and large they're good kids but they are all 14-17 year old nerds so you are absolutely going to have some that embody all the stereotypes.

one of the robots was covered in my little pony references for instance

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to be pretty open minded when my kids are teenagers but allowing mlp? gently caress. if they're into that poo poo at least keep that shame out of the house

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

just remembered i gotta update my bike lighting scheme with some christmas themes. ho ho ho

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

NOW I HAVE A BIKE LIGHT
HO HO HO

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
so i want to create an idiot spare time project that will end up being a database of questions and answers. the tricky part will be entering all the data, i was thinking i could process the data out of the files but they are all word docs with wildly different formats.

couple of questions for you smart folks... what is my best option for the database? i was thinking postgres just because it is free and seems the most stable of the open source databases.

second other than hand processing the question/answer files manually what do you think my best option is here? i could tag the questions and answers perhaps and then process them but that is almost the same as just doing it manually. would something like nlp possibly be able to solve this? separate questions from answers?

maybe i should post this in the terrible programmer safe zone, hmm.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

gotta hit the hardware store for some things to seal both connection ends, and make some vents to prevent the top from blowing off. . . but the mulchatron works.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Lyon posted:

so i want to create an idiot spare time project that will end up being a database of questions and answers. the tricky part will be entering all the data, i was thinking i could process the data out of the files but they are all word docs with wildly different formats.

couple of questions for you smart folks... what is my best option for the database? i was thinking postgres just because it is free and seems the most stable of the open source databases.

second other than hand processing the question/answer files manually what do you think my best option is here? i could tag the questions and answers perhaps and then process them but that is almost the same as just doing it manually. would something like nlp possibly be able to solve this? separate questions from answers?

maybe i should post this in the terrible programmer safe zone, hmm.

well you raelly need to clarify where the questions and answers are coming from. you keep mentioning files but i have no idea what the files are or how they're formatted

if you just want a database then any old sql thing will work. postgres is the 'best' open source free sql but if it's just a dumb free time project sqllite or mysql3 will be fine.

what do you want to be able to do with the data once it's in the database? like a question is going to be a string which is going to make it pretty hard to search for, if you're trying to get the answer to a question but you dont necessarily have the question. if you want to be able to easily search questions, look at elasticsearch.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

SQLite is great for istp else use sql server

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

well you raelly need to clarify where the questions and answers are coming from. you keep mentioning files but i have no idea what the files are or how they're formatted

if you just want a database then any old sql thing will work. postgres is the 'best' open source free sql but if it's just a dumb free time project sqllite or mysql3 will be fine.

what do you want to be able to do with the data once it's in the database? like a question is going to be a string which is going to make it pretty hard to search for, if you're trying to get the answer to a question but you dont necessarily have the question. if you want to be able to easily search questions, look at elasticsearch.

probably the latter so i will definitely check out elasticsearch, thank you. for more details... these are rfp (request for proposal/information, prospect sends giant file of questions and sales team answers them [if you aren't familiar]) responses so the formats vary widely but typically word docs. i want enter all my previous rfp questions and answers into the db and then be able to search a new question, find the most similar previous questions, and then grab the best answer from say the top 5 closest matches.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Product recommendation: I'm needing to cut holes in some light acrylic for a project, didn't want to spend big on a Dremel - This little fellow was like a third of the cost of the big brand and has suited my needs to an excellent degree. If you need an occasional cut or polish in a hard-to-reach cranny I suggest buying.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00H7ZCYMI

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
a bit of fog invokes a very different vibe. i don't think I have can have fog "zones" unfortch. that would own

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

a bit of fog invokes a very different vibe. i don't think I have can have fog "zones" unfortch. that would own

i'll have to have voluems which turn fog on and off. i'll have to do it sommothly

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
fog is stupid as poo poo. this idea might NOT be. need a mechanic that makes this game a bit more interesting long term

heh ripped straight off mincecraft, that notch mother fucker is going to pay!

imagine this, but multiplayer. epic

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

echinopsis posted:

fog is stupid as poo poo. this idea might NOT be. need a mechanic that makes this game a bit more interesting long term

fly into enemy base, pick up cargo, destroy defences, drop bomb into reactor, reactor starts to meltdown (fog gets slowly thicker) and you have to get back out before the fog is too thick to see.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

mysql is just as hard to set up as postgres, and postgres has working full-text search so you don't need broken garbage like elasticsearch

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sweevo posted:

fly into enemy base, pick up cargo, destroy defences, drop bomb into reactor, reactor starts to meltdown (fog gets slowly thicker) and you have to get back out before the fog is too thick to see.

doable

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 353 days!

Sweevo posted:

agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Cocoa Crispies posted:

mysql is just as hard to set up as postgres, and postgres has working full-text search so you don't need broken garbage like elasticsearch

drat that's p savage