Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Monk progress: I am level 17 now and have a cured silk set with Wu's Quivering for a weapon. I made the move to Antonica once I trained FD and got a bind at the gypsy camp in NK because I'm thoroughly sick of FOB and like the old world better. I know how to move past guards using sneak and can rinse my coins at the gypsy vendor using Compasses.

I'm currently saving for a pair of 5/55 rings but that still leaves my ears empty. I'm curious if I should go for +STR on some ears or +AGI? I went all points into stam at creation..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tyler is a joke
Apr 28, 2013

Look me up if you're on blue. Avalok.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
There's not really a good set of budget earrings. Diamondines are kind of pricey for a new player and not a smart buy with Velious on the horizon. If you just want to fill the slots with something then snag whatever cheap or free option you come across. Eventually you can camp sarnaks for an Earring of Station if that's your thing, though I'd personally just recommend waiting to camp or buy Orc Fangs Earrings in Velious before upgrading to EoE/FBH/etc.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I am on blue yes. Probably gonna go with Golden Amber Earring which is +3 STRx2 for 80pp since I didnt get any strength at creation.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Hexel posted:

Monk progress: I am level 17 now and have a cured silk set with Wu's Quivering for a weapon. I made the move to Antonica once I trained FD and got a bind at the gypsy camp in NK because I'm thoroughly sick of FOB and like the old world better. I know how to move past guards using sneak and can rinse my coins at the gypsy vendor using Compasses.

I'm currently saving for a pair of 5/55 rings but that still leaves my ears empty. I'm curious if I should go for +STR on some ears or +AGI? I went all points into stam at creation..
Get Golden Topaz Earrings, +3 AC and dirt cheap.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I'm all set now thanks to Avalok and some primadonna porters I'm fully geared and ready to roll for a long-rear end time.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
Got my bard to 30 wearing some banded armor and got halfway ok weps.

Anyone got bard items in bank?

Burt Gherkin
Feb 8, 2010
I'm really keen to get into this being an ex player back in the day. However, I'm an AusGoon and just wondering if I'll be wasting my time due to the time difference. Am I going to be running around with nobody to level with? Also, I'd be keen to join a guild and get a leg up, to be honest. I will probably play an Enchanter so I can solo a bit and be useful later on.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
What guild should I be getting in to level up on Blue? To 60 and lower characters. I need group fodder and green chat.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Dustoph posted:

What guild should I be getting in to level up on Blue? To 60 and lower characters. I need group fodder and green chat.

Echoing this, I don't know anybody on the server and a casual-friendly guild would be nice

Roat Cack
Nov 15, 2006
Drink up and come back
I think I'm one of the few people left in <Unknown Guild>, as most people have moved on to leveling/raid guilds.

Feel free to hit me up on Mase for some freebies, though.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Dustoph posted:

There's probably better ones, but I joined a couple different ones looking around and stuck with <Black Hearts>. It's led by a dude named Gecla but there's usually a druid officer on who can do invites wherever. They're nothing fancy or special, just a fairly large leveling guild that's pretty chatty and friendly. Some people have high level chars, but most of the guild's 10-40 range. If you just want a bunch of people to talk to and group with, it's not bad

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006

Burt Gherkin posted:

I'm really keen to get into this being an ex player back in the day. However, I'm an AusGoon and just wondering if I'll be wasting my time due to the time difference. Am I going to be running around with nobody to level with? Also, I'd be keen to join a guild and get a leg up, to be honest. I will probably play an Enchanter so I can solo a bit and be useful later on.
<Infernus> is an AU/NZ/Oceanic guild primarily. Look for their post in guild recruitment on the p99 forums.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.
Is there anywhere to find good suggestions on gear to get for varoius classes that isn't the wiki? Past the pre-planar recommendations its all expensive or raid-level gear, and I'm not familiar enough with Kunark to know what sort of mid level stuff is available. Primarily looking for monk and caster stuff.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Bybus Slago posted:

Is there anywhere to find good suggestions on gear to get for varoius classes that isn't the wiki? Past the pre-planar recommendations its all expensive or raid-level gear, and I'm not familiar enough with Kunark to know what sort of mid level stuff is available. Primarily looking for monk and caster stuff.

Post what you've got/what you want and your budget and I'm sure someone can help you out. There are also some posts on the P99 melee forums about monk gear.. here's one: http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172140

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005

faulteroy posted:

Post what you've got/what you want and your budget and I'm sure someone can help you out. There are also some posts on the P99 melee forums about monk gear.. here's one: http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172140

Gear right now is pretty basic monk stuff. Full set of Wu's minus chest and sleeves (foremans tunic and azure silk respectively). 5/55 rings, crappy earrings, and quivering staff / knuckle duster+trance stick for weapons. Weapons are fine, just mostly looking for some upgrades to the wu's. I have a 45 mage with ~1500p, and I don't mind camping or questing for stuff I'm able to do.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Monk is level 25 now and making decent cash for the first time by following the Zliz leveling path.

I picked up 2x Lionhide Backpacks and some Azure Sleeves. Currently saving for 2x SoS and then the obligatory FBSS. Ocean of Tears OOC is some of the best entertainment ingame.

Hexel fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 14, 2014

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Bybus Slago posted:

Gear right now is pretty basic monk stuff. Full set of Wu's minus chest and sleeves (foremans tunic and azure silk respectively). 5/55 rings, crappy earrings, and quivering staff / knuckle duster+trance stick for weapons. Weapons are fine, just mostly looking for some upgrades to the wu's. I have a 45 mage with ~1500p, and I don't mind camping or questing for stuff I'm able to do.

Check out Dalnir for some Crescent armor: http://wiki.project1999.com/Crescent_Armor_Set

It's free and pretty drat good.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Bybus Slago posted:

Sorry but I will suggest the Wiki again - you just have to dig yourself. Try looking at the Monk equipment page for example:

http://wiki.project1999.com/Category:Monk_Equipment

Click a slot, then on the page for that slot, play with the sorting. The first thing I do is to sort by AC, then look at weight (relevant for a Monk). Then I try playing a bit with sorting by STA and STR, depending on what I'm after. I note down some candidates, then check their prices on the Wiki auction tracker and on the a hungry auction tracker. I end up with a list of stuff I wanna pay for, then start looking on the a hungry auction tracker, /auction in EC, and on the P1999 forums.

For caster stuff AC is of course irrelevant; you would look at INT/WIS and STA instead.

But hey, here is what I would recommend, all gear within a reasonable (with a few outliers) budget. The prices are approximate of course. I focus on AC, HP/STA and thirdly STR.

Arms: Azure Sleeves (50p), alternatively Gatorscale (250p?)
Back: Werewolf Skin Cloak (200p)
Chest: Robe of Living Fungus mainly because I friggin' love wearing a robe as aMonk (800p). Cheap alternative: Lockjaw Hide Vest (50p)
Ear: Golden Topaz Earring (20p), big spender: Diamondine Earring (800p)
Face: Sarnak-Hide Mask (150p) or Targishin's Bone Mask (600p)
Feet: Very very slim pickings - I still wear Cured Silk. Wu's (500p, hard to find) are not much better, but Magic, so you can Flying Kick undead and magic mobs.
Fingers: 5/55 rings (250p)
Hands: Iksar Scaled Gloves (100p). Yes they're heavy, but they have great stats. Alternatively, Gem Inlaid Gauntlets (150p)
Head: Lumberjack's Cap (50p)
Legs: Gatorscale Leggings (1100p). Alternatively, Cured Silk or Wu's.
Neck: Glowing Bone Collar (400p). Alternatively Etched Ivory Charm, Golden Pearl Choker, Labyrinth Talisman, and others.
Shoulders: Drolvarg Mantle (75p)
Waist: Thick Leather Apron (25p)
Wrist: 1 Iksar Monk Shackle and/or Bracers of Erollisi (150p). The latter can be easily obtained yourself in your high 20's, or kindly ask someone on seafury island to kill Capt Surestout for you

Weapon: Wu's Quivering (150p) until you can afford 2x Stave of Shielding (2k each).

Other worthwhile investments:

Shralok Pack (200p?), can also be camped yourself. Just get one of these for holding GIANT items; otherwise Lionhide Backpack is better.
Lionhide Backpack (200p?), likewise can be camped yourself at 30+.
1 Light Burlap Sack (500p) and 1 Bag of Sewn Evil-Eye (500p) for heavy loot
1 Large Soiled Bag (1000p) for 100% WR of small items (bandages and shurikens). Might wanna skip this one; as it's not very flexible.
And of course Tink bags when you get enough cash. As a Monk I don't think weight is such a huge deal (ironically), since we can sneak to vendor loot anywhere.

Also quest this: Forager Bag

And finally..........

1 Greater Lightstone for your main inventory as a light source. Seriously, in this dark game it rules.

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 14, 2014

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I really want Velious to come out.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

faulteroy posted:

Check out Dalnir for some Crescent armor: http://wiki.project1999.com/Crescent_Armor_Set

It's free and pretty drat good.

Too bad Dalnir is impossible to solo. :(

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

hayden. posted:

I really want Velious to come out.

I wonder if Velious will help with the economy on certain items. It seems like the prices never come down on fixed things like haste belts and Fungi etc. almost like theres a price fixing monopoly or collaboration going on.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I think at this point, p99's economy is too broken to ever get it fixed. There's plenty of the same people auctioning off multi-questing epics and farming fungis that no matter what happens, there is just wayyyyy too much money that's been generated.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Wouldn't surprise me if a group of people were buying up any high end items below their own selling price. And then reselling for the inflated price. If these people spent as much thought and effort to a real business they'd probably make a nice living off it.

What I don't get is how there is such a tremendous amount of plat in circulation (supposedly) yet RMT prices are still so high.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.

hayden. posted:

What I don't get is how there is such a tremendous amount of plat in circulation (supposedly) yet RMT prices are still so high.

Very simple. There's elevated risk (perceived or not) that you can get your account banned which keeps many potential people out of that market.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

hayden. posted:

Wouldn't surprise me if a group of people were buying up any high end items below their own selling price. And then reselling for the inflated price. If these people spent as much thought and effort to a real business they'd probably make a nice living off it.

That's exactly what's happening and no, Velious won't fix it. The economy's just hosed.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

What's so "hosed" about it? Low-level items too cheap and high-end items too expensive? I find it kinda funny that many prices are almost precisely the same as they were back in classic, such as the ~8k FBSS, 75k fungi (I remember the price bottoming out at 40k and spiking to 100k when it got rarer during Velious), and so on. Some items are much cheaper though - lammies, yaks and many other weapons in particular are dirt cheap.

Personally as a soloer I'm just happy I've been able to buy tons of great high-end Kunark gear by grinding and saving myself, and it's relatively easy to both find and sell items, even DF belts and bear pelts fly off the shelves.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Pilsner posted:

I gave Kunark a shot around level 35 and returned to the old world with a long face shortly after. Kunark mobs hit harder and have more hitpoints, and casters will wreck your rear end. LoIO was dead, WW was a dramafest about the giant fort, but OT is always crowded and you can undoubtedly find groups there (or solo if you can) at level 30-40.

Here was my Monk solo XP path, which you can of course also utilize even with a box to help:

1-15 (ish): Field of Bone newbie area/pit
15-20: Kurn's
20-23: Gnolls in the southwest corner of EK
- alternative: WC/EC bears, orcs and will-o-wisps for platinum and Lightstone quest XP
- alternative: Random SK mobs such as elephants, centaurs, aviaks, etc.
- alternative: Lake Rathe static aviak guards
23-28: Gargoyles in OOT, good platinum from the Gargoyle Eyes
28-35: Sisters in OOT, amazing platinum. As you level you can also kill the other wood elves and dwarves on the island
- alternative: giant skeletons in Rathe Mountains from level 28 to low 30's
35-40: South Karana / Paw; aviaks, gnolls, high-level centaurs in the south area (good 4 static spawns around hermit)
40+: SECRET SUPER DUPER XP SPOT! I'll tell you when I'm done with it.
To follow up, my "secret" 40+ spot was the gnomes in Sol A. I dare say XP cannot possibly get any better than this for a soloing melee, due to all the mobs being dark blue when you start out, and Sol A having a huge XP multiplier. There are lots of gnomes, although you will be cockblocked by the Magician ones (gnomish conjurer), as they cast a nasty damage shield, and also nuke and have a pet when you attack them. Still, there should be around 10-15 easy to reach gnomes that are all melee, and there are multiple entry points to the gnome area. They don't drop anything special, but a little fine steel and Dufrenite which vendors for 18p each (or more to players, but it's hard to find players buying them).

I came there at 40 and it was pretty tough to begin with. I stayed there until I dinged 45, and it only slowed down a little at 44 due to most of them getting green. If you're really twinked (fungi) I reckon you could begin in the high 30's.

Tip: Bring a slow 2H weapon for mobs with damage shield on them.

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 16, 2014

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
Giving this my annual spin, decided to roll an Iksar Necro. Never played an iksar before, so at level 6 should I be fighting in the pit? At the ramp straight out from the path from Cabilis, 90% of what I conned was red. Is that pretty much how it goes in the pit, just picking out the even cons among the reds?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Karmalaa70 posted:

Giving this my annual spin, decided to roll an Iksar Necro. Never played an iksar before, so at level 6 should I be fighting in the pit? At the ramp straight out from the path from Cabilis, 90% of what I conned was red. Is that pretty much how it goes in the pit, just picking out the even cons among the reds?

There should be some stuff to the right of the pit (facing away from cabilis) that you should be able to get. But yeah...there's a few levels where it's a bit hard to get stuff iirc.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Karmalaa70 posted:

Theres also a spiderling cave a little bit northwest of the noob ramp thats good until 7 or 8. You can farm a shitload of silk there if you wanna go ultra classic and tailor your own starter gear.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Hexel posted:

Theres also a spiderling cave a little bit northwest of the noob ramp thats good until 7 or 8. You can farm a shitload of silk there if you wanna go ultra classic and tailor your own starter gear.

That's an awesome cave I wish I'd known about! The pit is awful from 4-9 or so solo, but P99 pretty much always has a billion lowbie iksar necros in the area. Just find one who isn't awful and duo with him. I did 4-9 on my necro with another necro duo who wasn't a complete moron and it was faster than 1-4 really. Duo eliminates the pet xp issue and you can wreck because of it. We split snare/fear duty and just pulled whites/yellows nonstop that night and ended up 10.

2 necro duo means summon the highest level pet you can, one person pulls with darkness, the other fears, both pets jump on, throw a dot if you can, otherwise just re-fear as it wears off. It's pretty much nonstop xp and vastly faster than trying to solo through that range in FoB since it's awful solo. We died a few times because of resists, but overall you're just destroying yellows nonstop.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

MrTheDevious posted:

That's an awesome cave I wish I'd known about! The pit is awful from 4-9 or so solo, but P99 pretty much always has a billion lowbie iksar necros in the area. Just find one who isn't awful and duo with him. I did 4-9 on my necro with another necro duo who wasn't a complete moron and it was faster than 1-4 really. Duo eliminates the pet xp issue and you can wreck because of it. We split snare/fear duty and just pulled whites/yellows nonstop that night and ended up 10.

2 necro duo means summon the highest level pet you can, one person pulls with darkness, the other fears, both pets jump on, throw a dot if you can, otherwise just re-fear as it wears off. It's pretty much nonstop xp and vastly faster than trying to solo through that range in FoB since it's awful solo. We died a few times because of resists, but overall you're just destroying yellows nonstop.

FOB shits out so much silk I was able to skill up tailoring and craft my own cured silk set before I graduated to Kurns. Everything you need is in Cab, even Heady Kiola ingredients.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Karmalaa70 posted:

You can do the pit all the way to around level 15, you just have to fight very specific mobs. As far as I recall, at level 6 you'll want to shoot for "a skeleton", iksar footpads and large scorpions. Keep grinding these and every 3 level or so you step up to the next "tier" of mobs, e.g. iksar bandits, giant scorpions, burynai, etc.

I believe I went into Kurn's at level 15 or so and grinded to 20 there. All solo. Slow as balls, but hey, Feign Death and reliable Mend in the high teens made it a lot more bearable.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I just discovered the Freeport tunnels and I'll never pay a porter again :vince:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Pilsner posted:

Wrist: 1 Iksar Monk Shackle and/or Bracers of Erollisi (150p). The latter can be easily obtained yourself in your high 20's, or kindly ask someone on seafury island to kill Capt Surestout for you

I just sneak pulled him out of his tent without the other 2 adding so this is really easy to get in your 20's.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Hexel posted:

I just sneak pulled him out of his tent without the other 2 adding so this is really easy to get in your 20's.

Sneak pulling is retardedly effective. I have no idea if it worked so well on Live since I never heard about it at all, but holy poo poo it's so good on P99

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
How does sneak pulling work, exactly? I rolled a monk a while ago and I haven't quite gotten the hang of pulling well.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Bybus Slago posted:

How does sneak pulling work, exactly? I rolled a monk a while ago and I haven't quite gotten the hang of pulling well.

Sneak makes you effectively neutral to an npc or mob as long as you're on side of or behind it. You can use this to vendor at npc's that hate your race or religion and even bank I believe. For pulling, in this instance, there are 2 mobs at a campfire but they're facing away from the mob I wanted so I hit sneak and move near, they ignore me then I aggro the mob I want by moving into his field of vision and run him away and kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

There are a million different tricks for pulling as a monk that you figure out, but here's the basics of FD/Sneak Pulling/Aggro.

Aggro: Mobs aggro based on a variety of things. One type is just the mob hating you. This is being KoS. Example: A skeleton will hit you if you walk too closely, they're KoS to everyone. The next type is social. Example: A fire beetle won't attack you unless you attack it first UNLESS you're already attacking another fire beetle. Fire beetles are social and will help one another. Most things that you're expected to split and pull as a monk will be social and will assist each other. If one's mad at you, so are all the rest inside of the social aggro radius. That's why you can attack one normally-indifferent bandit and the whole camp comes, then if you run with that camp chasing you and run through a second camp, they all come too. If you run through that same bandit camp with a bunch of spiders chasing you, they just watch. That's social aggro. It's how you abuse sneak pulling.

Aggro is also dependent on a mob's Hate List. If you're on that list, they're gonna chase you. When you FD, it behaves differently on mobs depending on their level. Below level 32, if you FD, you're instantly removed from a mob's hate list, period. This is called memblurring the mob since enchanters can do the same thing with a spell called Mem Blur. After level 32, there's a chance you memblur the mob when you FD, but it's no longer guaranteed. If you don't blur him, when you stand back up, he'll start chasing your rear end again. However, mobs ALWAYS forget you if you're FD when they return to their spawn point. This is how you split a basic camp.

Basic splitting: Pull camp, say 2 aggro you and run at you. Pull them back a ways then FD. The mobs will both stop and stand over you. After a random amount of time (different for each mob) it'll turn around and head back to its spawn point. The easiest way to split these is to hope mob A turns and heads back, but mob B keeps standing there. If mob A hits its spawn point before mob B starts pathing back, grats, mob A just forgot you when he hit his spawn point and reset. As long as you pulled them far enough away, you can now stand up and mob B will chase you while A has totally forgotten you. Now you FD split them properly!

A somewhat more complicated but still easy method is what you do if both mobs path back to their spawns around the same time. You still exploit the fact that a mob resetting blurs, but you do it in reverse. Wait until both mobs are almost back to their spawns. The instant mob A has fully reset at spawn but mob B is still walking back, stand up. They'll both come running at you again. Let them get to you, then FD again. Because of the way mob pathing works, the mob A that was reset and had forgotten you now stands over you like normal. However, if you stand up while a mob has already started returning to spawn but hasn't actually reached it (mob B), when you FD again it does NOT stand there, it immediately turns around and heads to spawn again until it does reset. Let him reset then stand up and take mob A that's still standing over you.

There's tons of ways you can improve those FD methods using pathing/line of sight/a 2nd puller tagging/etc, but those are the basic methods for splitting camps.

Sneak pulling is a gross exploit that only exists because it did in Classic. It has nothing to do with FD and you can do it with any class that has sneak. You can be a halfling warrior and sneak pull fine. It works by abusing sneak's mechanics. Sneak works by lowering aggro radius period, and if you're behind a mob and sneaking, you're effectively invisible to it altogether. It also, for whatever reason, overrides social aggro as long as you're behind every mob. So lets say you have 3 mobs all facing one direction and you're behind them. As long as you're sneaking, they won't aggro you. So you sneak up, stand at max throwing weapon range, toss a javelin at one mob, and the other two completely ignore the fact anything is happening as long as you're still in sneak mode. As long as you're out of range by the time the mob you pissed off finally hits you and breaks sneak, none of the other mobs give a flying gently caress and you just split the camp dirt easy. You can do this in some extremely retarded places to single pull some stupidass poo poo, like the fungi tunic named without having to touch any other mob in the area.

SK/Nec can do even more brokenass poo poo with a combination of FD, snare, and CoS. Really though just using the above will let you pull anything in the game just fine. I'm sure you already knew a lot of the above, but I just posted it all to cover all the aspects

• Locked thread