Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

You can untap your lands.
Despite what people think, the rules are not meant to punish to people, they are just meant to keep the game running smoothly. Punishing someone for an illegal action by forcing them to still keep their lands tapped is just stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

It's important to note that if a spell doesn't need a target when it's cast (eg: Suspension Field), then what we're talking about doesn't apply. I'm not going to let you take back Suspension Field when all I have out is a Sagu Mauler.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Would you technically have to keep your lands tapped (since tapping lands and doing nothing with their mana is legal)? I always let my opponents take back stuff like that but I'm curious as to what the official rules say.

e: Having the spell rewound makes sense though, otherwise you could cast counterspells at permanents for prowess triggers or something.

No, you wouldn't. Magic doesn't have a touch rule. See the comprehensive rules:

Magic Comprehensive Rules posted:

717. Handling Illegal Actions

717.1. If a player takes an illegal action or starts to take an action but can’t legally complete it, the entire action is reversed and any payments already made are canceled. No abilities trigger and no effects apply as a result of an undone action. If the action was casting a spell, the spell returns to the zone it came from. The player may also reverse any legal mana abilities activated while making the illegal play, unless mana from them or from any triggered mana abilities they triggered was spent on another mana ability that wasn’t reversed. Players may not reverse actions that moved cards to a library, moved cards from a library to any zone other than the stack, caused a library to be shuffled, or caused cards from a library to be revealed.

717.2. When reversing illegal spells and abilities, the player who had priority retains it and may take another action or pass. The player may redo the reversed action in a legal way or take any other action allowed by the rules.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Also, if mtgo is any indication, lands are just untappable?

Death Bot fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 14, 2014

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Death Bot posted:

Also, if mtgo is any indication, lands are just untappable?

If MTGO is any indication the mechanics of the game are subject to the whims of a blind idiot god :shrug:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Effectively, yeah. Most cases where you untap your lands can be justified with a combination of the comp rules rewind and the MTR out-of-order sequencing rule.

Even if you tapped your lands before showing your opponent the card, it's generally assumed that you did it as part of casting the spell. So, when you take the spell back, you rewind to before you tapped your lands.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If you play by the letter of the rules, to my knowledge the only mana ability that isn't reversible provided you cast it during the activation of a spell is Selvala's.

Ones like Chromatic Sphere aren't reversible if you activate them outside of casting a spell/activating an ability, though.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

cheetah7071 posted:

If you play by the letter of the rules, to my knowledge the only mana ability that isn't reversible provided you cast it during the activation of a spell is Selvala's.

Ones like Chromatic Sphere aren't reversible if you activate them outside of casting a spell/activating an ability, though.

You can't actually reverse the Sphere ability - it moves cards from your library to a zone other than the stack, so it can't be reversed even as part of casting a spell. If you only figure out that it's an illegal action after you've activated it (and drawn your card face-down), you take back the spell (and turn the card face up in your hand), but the mana ability remains activated.

This is one area where MTGO doesn't quite follow the letter of the rules, probably because it doesn't have any provision for reversing the casting of a spell without also reversing all mana abilities activated as part of that.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

qbert posted:

Just saw this tweet on my feed.

The stupidity of Magic players will never cease to amaze me.

That should be a DQ.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Also before anyone freaks out and starts going "omg that means players can do taksies backsies and tap their plains instead of rishadan port after the fact"
No it doesn't work like that. Once you actually make a commitment, like tapping some lands and showing the spell you intend to cast, you are committed to it. Being able to untap lands only factors in when you haven't committed to actually using the mana yet (or when you use for something thats not legal).
Again, the rules are supposed to punish people, and it would be pretty lovely if we decided people couldn't untap lands they haven't even used the mana from yet.

SierraNovember
Nov 3, 2011
DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE TELL ME THAT YOU'RE A WOMEN OR GAY. I'M SO TIRED OF PEOPLE TELLING ME THAT THAT I KEEP BREAKING MY FUCKING KEYBOARD. GOD JUST READING THAT MAKES ME WANT TO BASH IT IN UNTIL EVERYTHING IS COVERED WITH BLOOD, FLESH, AND BONE AAAARGHAARHGHGHAHRHHFFF

Lottery of Babylon posted:

e:f,b but lol you sound fun to play with
I do apologise for having been taught wrongly in my first 6-7 weeks by more knowledgeable players who clearly should know better!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

SierraNovember posted:

I do apologise for having been taught wrongly in my first 6-7 weeks by more knowledgeable players who clearly should know better!

I mean if you're like gunning for competitive Magic it's cool to learn the rules and stick by them hard; there's nothing wrong with that at all imo. In this case, though, yeah, basically anything that does damage to a player can be freely redirected to any Planeswalker that player controls, and saying "I cast Shock targeting your planeswalker" is totally acceptable shorthand for "I cast shock targeting you, and redirect that damage to your planeswalker" (especially at FNM) and if you ARE intent on learning Magic totally by the book, it's important that you learn that

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Also worth remembering that you don't have to choose to redirect until the spell is resolving, which is somewhat relevant if your opponent is playing with counters. Seems a lot of people don't actually know that, and think that targeting the walker is correct. Shorthand is just used a lot instead of jumping through hoops because it's easy.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I remember an interview between lsv and Riki Hayashi (a judge) -- it was ancient don't remember why I was watching it -- talking exactly about this issue. Some kid lost a game at a ptq because he didn't know how to a redirect a shock onto a planeswalker (his opponent said targeting it directly was illegal) and the judge wouldn't help.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

In addition, if you (the player) have Hexproof, then you cannot be targeted to redirect the damage to the planeswalker (unless the burn spell specifically says Planeswalker on it.)

SierraNovember
Nov 3, 2011
DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE TELL ME THAT YOU'RE A WOMEN OR GAY. I'M SO TIRED OF PEOPLE TELLING ME THAT THAT I KEEP BREAKING MY FUCKING KEYBOARD. GOD JUST READING THAT MAKES ME WANT TO BASH IT IN UNTIL EVERYTHING IS COVERED WITH BLOOD, FLESH, AND BONE AAAARGHAARHGHGHAHRHHFFF

goferchan posted:

I mean if you're like gunning for competitive Magic it's cool to learn the rules and stick by them hard; there's nothing wrong with that at all imo. In this case, though, yeah, basically anything that does damage to a player can be freely redirected to any Planeswalker that player controls, and saying "I cast Shock targeting your planeswalker" is totally acceptable shorthand for "I cast shock targeting you, and redirect that damage to your planeswalker" (especially at FNM) and if you ARE intent on learning Magic totally by the book, it's important that you learn that

Not so much by the book for serious play, but it is awkward for new players - how in any sense would you know you can do the whole redirect and planeswalker =\= player? Bit of a minefield but we learn in time I guess.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

SierraNovember posted:

I think Lottery's comment was less because you got a rule wrong and more because you posted gloating about a guy ragequitting because you rules-lawyered him with a rule you got wrong, which you have to admit is not a great look

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

SierraNovember posted:

We're just cutting you the same slack you gave your opponent

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Amulet of Vigor going off in Milan... :allears:

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Also FNM isn't really the place to be a heavy rules lawyer anyway, it's supposed to be about expanding the playerbase rather than gutting it.

oryx
Nov 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

SierraNovember posted:

Not so much by the book for serious play, but it is awkward for new players - how in any sense would you know you can do the whole redirect and planeswalker =\= player? Bit of a minefield but we learn in time I guess.

I don't think it's more awkward than any of the other rules surrounding planeswalkers. There's really just a bunch of rules you need to know that aren't on the card. Most of the people I've taught to play have found nearly everything around them somewhat counterintuitive at first. Why can't you block with a planeswalker? Why can you only activate an ability once per turn? Oh I can block creatures attacking my planeswalker? Why would my Elspeth Sun's Champion kills my Elspeth Knight Errant when my Mikaeus the Lunarch wouldn't kill my Mikaeus, the Unhallowed?

Anyway, keep in mind you're probably at a delicate stage of the game where you know enough to be dangerous. You think you know the rules well, but the comprehensive rules are something like 175 pages long. The edge cases you are going to start running into will likely be outside of your ability to reason through, because they'll involve things like "layers" or sub-sub-sections of the comprehensive rules that you just needed to have read already. Just chalk it up to a learning experience, and always call a Judge when you can.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

SierraNovember posted:

If planeswalkers had been in the game from the beginning then burn spells would all say 'target player or planeswalker' and there would be no need for these damage-redirecting shenanigans. But they weren't, and rather than go back and errata decades' worth of cards they decided to use this kinda ugly hack.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Layers system is a relic of old, bad game design and I'm glad when new systems don't have anything like it. It works well for what it does since this game is a working prototype but it really belongs in the forgotten grognards basement of clunky detailed rules design. Planes walker design fits in there too but unlike the wise decision of FFG to reboot the game with streamlined rules WOTC just keeps trudging on

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

SierraNovember posted:

I'm not necessarily saying one should have to go to the Web to find the rules of the game, but this is clearly noted by Wizards on their page explaining planeswalkers, which is the very first Google result if one searches for "magic planeswalker rules."

http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/tcg/article.aspx?x=magic/rules/planeswalkers

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Chill la Chill posted:

Layers system is a relic of old, bad game design and I'm glad when new systems don't have anything like it. It works well for what it does since this game is a working prototype but it really belongs in the forgotten grognards basement of clunky detailed rules design. Planes walker design fits in there too but unlike the wise decision of FFG to reboot the game with streamlined rules WOTC just keeps trudging on

I can't really think of a better way to do layers. Layers are designed to make things seem intuitive. "Just do everything in timestamp order" is a much easier rule to remember, but it leads to strange things. Lots of games have something similar, but they aren't spelled out in the rules, and instead spread across disparate rulings for specific interactions.

The other solution is to get rid of all of the continuous effects that can lead to confusing interaction, and just leave us with p/t modifiers and ability adding. But, that's getting rid of a large quantity of effects that exist in magic.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

Layers aren't a part of design, they are a necessity for the rules to be 100% clear. They don't do the kind of stuff that requires layers much any more, but Magic is a 20-year-old game. It's easy to grok power-toughness swapping effects, and P/T-setting effects and whatnot, but how do they interact? If my opponent casts Polymorphist's Jest, how does that interact with the Hatred I planned on casting? Hell look at Humility and Opalescence. It's a bullshit super-niche interaction, but it's in the rules, and it works. You as a player don't need to know it, and even Judges don't care too much about it, just look it up if needed.

Also, what FFG game are you referring to, with the reboot?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Chill la Chill posted:

Android Netrunner rulings are a complete trainwreck because there are no underlying principles like layers so whenever you want to know how an unclear interaction works you need to email the lead designer and hope you get an answer, and since the lead designer isn't working off of any big underlying principles either the same question can and has had different answers depending on when you ask him since he doesn't remember what answer he gave last time. And the rulings he does give often don't make a lick of sense even after being explained. A complex rules system isn't desirable, but replacing it with no rules system at all, in a game ostensibly to be played in tournaments, is not a step forward.

FFG was also rebooting another company's game that only ran for like one and a half sets in the nineties anyhow, not terminating their own ongoing game with hundreds of expansions.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The biggest problem with Jeskai Ascendancy isn't anything the card does, its the fact that it attracts very slow players.

Ebethron
Apr 27, 2008

"I hear the coast is nice this time of year."
"If you're in the right business, it's nice all the year."

Android Netrunner rulings are a complete trainwreck because there are no underlying principles like layers

I love A:NR, but it was pretty weird when Lukas's rulings started to violate the normal canons of formal logic and mathematics. I'm a bit worried how arbitrary some of the central principles of the rule system are, such as the lack of a stack but the ability to interrupt an effect in the middle of its resolution with a prevention effect. It makes cards like Steelskin very difficult to grok.

FFG was also rebooting another company's game that only ran for like one and a half sets in the nineties anyhow, not terminating their own ongoing game with hundreds of expansions.

I think Chill la Chill was referring to intended reboot of Game of Thrones, which has been justified as a chance to get rid of clunky rules and timing issues.

SierraNovember
Nov 3, 2011

jassi007 posted:

We're just cutting you the same slack you gave your opponent

Oh I completely agree, it was incredibly harsh but as far as I was aware, that's how the rules worked. I wouldn't have thought people would rage quit over it though.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Ebethron posted:

I think Chill la Chill was referring to intended reboot of Game of Thrones, which has been justified as a chance to get rid of clunky rules and timing issues.

Oops, I hadn't heard about this and assumed it was about A:NR rebooting original Netrunner. Nevermind!

Of course, rebooting an LCG is still pretty different from rebooting a very long-running CCG. As I understand it, the only format Game of Thrones and the other LCGs support is the equivalent of Legacy, resulting an extremely static metagame. That's barely sustainable for an LCG that releases only 120ish cards per year. For a game like Magic, in order to sell packs and keep the game changing they'd need to combine an aggressively rotating banlist with regular power creep (also known as the Yugioh method).

I don't think FFG is rebooting Game of Thrones because they're keen on cleaning up the base rules, I suspect they're rebooting it because it became unsustainable.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

SierraNovember posted:

Oh I completely agree, it was incredibly harsh but as far as I was aware, that's how the rules worked. I wouldn't have thought people would rage quit over it though.

If you read magic threads enough you'll find that people will ragequit over just about anything.

You'll also learn that Wizards is totally killing Magic this week for a completely different reason than whatever they were doing last week. :v:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Concerning rebooting magic: The rules have changed dramatically a couple times. Old cards, and the interactions that go along with them are continuously rotating away. Magic is being constantly reinvented. It doesn't really need a messy hard reboot.

Cernunnos posted:

If you read magic threads enough you'll find that people will ragequit over just about anything.

You'll also learn that Wizards is totally killing Magic this week for a completely different reason than whatever they were doing last week. :v:

Magic was a great game before Mark Rosewater came along and killed it 18 years ago.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Dr. Stab posted:

Concerning rebooting magic: The rules have changed dramatically a couple times. Old cards, and the interactions that go along with them are continuously rotating away. Magic is being constantly reinvented. It doesn't really need a messy hard reboot.

This is very true, a player a few years younger than me was going through my trade binder, looked at an Ice Age card and asked "what's banding"? I told her "nothing you'll ever have to worry about".

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Oops, I hadn't heard about this and assumed it was about A:NR rebooting original Netrunner. Nevermind!

Of course, rebooting an LCG is still pretty different from rebooting a very long-running CCG. As I understand it, the only format Game of Thrones and the other LCGs support is the equivalent of Legacy, resulting an extremely static metagame. That's barely sustainable for an LCG that releases only 120ish cards per year. For a game like Magic, in order to sell packs and keep the game changing they'd need to combine an aggressively rotating banlist with regular power creep (also known as the Yugioh method).

I don't think FFG is rebooting Game of Thrones because they're keen on cleaning up the base rules, I suspect they're rebooting it because it became unsustainable.

This is news to me, and cool, because the GoT LCG has seemed interesting to me but I looked at the card pool and kind of said gently caress it; way too overwhelming

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Dr. Stab posted:

Rebooting Magic is just a bad idea because of the fact that ancient poo poo is actively played. I think we're currently in a nice place where being able to play Mirror Universe next to Jeskai Ascendancy or whatever is concerned. I just wish they'd be more up front about how Planeswalker cards worked, I think that really is the element most confusing to newbies.

SierraNovember posted:

FNM is marketed as a chill time, but since most people play it as Competitive Tournament Jr. I'd say even if you weren't correct, the spirit of what you did fits right in :smaug:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Oh, U/W Control. How I've missed you. 70 minutes so far for Game 2 of this match on stream.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
To everyone complaining about layers, the way layers work is that 99% of the time everything does exactly what you expect. The remaining 1% of the time, it's impossible to deviate from expectations because the complications are so complex you don't know what to expect.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

qbert posted:

Oh, U/W Control. How I've missed you. 70 minutes so far for Game 2 of this match on stream.

I feel bad for Cedric and Patrick Chapin. This is painful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

qbert posted:

Somehow it manages to be worse than Revelation mirrors. This is the worst standard I've ever seen.

• Locked thread