Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Why would a leak matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I was hoping there'd be news with 47 new replies.

Nope.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Neodoomium posted:

I was hoping there'd be news with 47 new replies.

Nope.

Michigan is "seriously considering" Dan Mullen, according to FootballScoop.com, which means Dan Mullen is out of the running

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Agreed with these; I'd definitely put Florida in 1A if not FSU as well; and add Georgia to 1B oh it's in there. But that definition of 1A is exactly the short list of schools I think about as being unarguably higher prestige destinations when thinking about Malzahn's hypothetical future.

I think Malzahn's future is the NFL

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Michigan is deffo not Tier 1 atm, and I would absolutely not put Nebraska and Wisconsin in that same pool of jobs. Hell, Penn State isn't a GREAT job.

It will be once all the Joebots are dead!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sash! posted:

It will be once all the Joebots are dead!

which will be never because that's all penn state produces

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Alouicious posted:

Just because Purdue isn't competing for the national title right NOW, doesn't mean it won't be

If you had to put money on it, would you bet that the University of Michigan football team would remain poor over the next two decades, or would you think they are likely to return to glory? I'd say you'd have to be pretty dumb to think that a blue blood program like Michigan (or Texas, Notre Dame, and USC) won't at some point in the future be good again.

Adun posted:

Maybe if Saban and Pitino weren't incredibly mediocre pro coaches they would think that it's "better"

Maybe if Saban had inherited a better team than one that started Cleo loving Lemon his story at the Dolphins would end different. Who knows? But the fact remains that college and pro are two very different worlds, and people are allowed to like one over the other. There's nothing wrong with that. Jimmy Johnson has said he liked coaching Miami more than Dallas, and he was successful at both levels so it's not that unrealistic to say that to some a college job is "better".

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Groucho Marxist posted:

I think Malzahn's future is the NFL
Probably, I just kinda started compiling that same list in my mind when there were briefly some rumors about Texas in '13.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Deteriorata posted:

Well, there are numerous people in a position to know who insist that Les would drop LSU for Michigan in a heartbeat and has told them that personally. I hear it often enough from enough different places that it seems to have some credibility.

But we have also heard this about him during both of their previous vacancies, and he has never always turned them down

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BigBoss posted:

If you had to put money on it, would you bet that the University of Michigan football team would remain poor over the next two decades, or would you think they are likely to return to glory? I'd say you'd have to be pretty dumb to think that a blue blood program like Michigan (or Texas, Notre Dame, and USC) won't at some point in the future be good again.

considering that Michigan is run by incompetents who favor history and picnic baskets over actually good football yes

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don't think ND will ever be good again.

They might ride their generally weak schedule to high rankings, but it will always end the same.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Alouicious posted:

considering that Michigan is run by incompetents who favor history and picnic baskets over actually good football yes

For gently caress's loving god damned motherfucking sake.

It's "pic-a-nic" baskets.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Alouicious posted:

which will be never because that's all penn state produces

Naw, there were plenty of anti-Paterno faction people 15 years ago and there will be more and more every year. It'll take a decade or so. Things will be helped out by the part where everything fell apart with bad teams, losing records, and scandal rather than him riding off into the sunset. The "Paterno Man" will be poison and, thankfully, his coaching tree is full of garbage that no one wanted in the first place.

As long as the team that's on the field is good at defense, the fanbase will be generally satisfied. If Franklin or the guy after Franklin wins a national title somehow, he'll be the new golden god-king.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
What's more interesting than Paterno really is that Franklin is rubbing a lot of people the wrong way. BOB was basically run out of town and they're starting to have second thoughts.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Kim Jong Il posted:

What's more interesting than Paterno really is that Franklin is rubbing a lot of people the wrong way. BOB was basically run out of town and they're starting to have second thoughts.

....really? Why? Wasn't he pretty great?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
People kept telling O'Brien how JoePa ran things and wouldn't shut up about it, so he decided to take the first available job that wasn't Penn State.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/01/bill-obrien-joe-paterno-penn-state-rant

USA Today posted:

“You can print this: You can print that I don’t really give a [expletive] what the ‘Paterno people’ think about what I do with this program. I’ve done everything I can to show respect to Coach Paterno. Everything in my power. So I could really care less about what the Paterno faction of people, or whatever you call them, think about what I do with the program. I’m tired of it.

“For any ‘Paterno person’ to have any objection to what I’m doing, it makes me wanna put my fist through this windshield right now.”
He continued:

“I’m trying to field the most competitive football team I can with near-death penalty [expletive] sanctions. Every time I say something like that and somebody prints it, it’s skewed as an excuse. And I’m not an excuse-maker. I’m trying to do the best I can for the kids in that program. That’s all I care about is the kids in that program. As long as I’m the head football coach here.”
It was during this rant that O’Brien dropped the major bomb.

“That’s why, in probably about a month, they’re gonna be [expletive] looking for a new coach.”

skaboomizzy fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 14, 2014

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

pillsburysoldier posted:

....really? Why? Wasn't he pretty great?

Because he wasn't Paterno and wouldn't kowtow to the old guard at all. Anyone with a brain in his head would have wanted BOB to hang around because that guy could work, like, wizard magic. He got McGloin to the NFL!

Michigan's got its barrel of problems, Penn State's got its problems. How bad was it for Bama in the 80s? How did FSU get past Bowden with relatively light trouble? Is VT going to be a disaster when Beamer retires? How come we stopped joking about Beamer's neck-Kuato?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Sash! posted:

Because he wasn't Paterno and wouldn't kowtow to the old guard at all. Anyone with a brain in his head would have wanted BOB to hang around because that guy could work, like, wizard magic. He got McGloin to the NFL!

Michigan's got its barrel of problems, Penn State's got its problems. How bad was it for Bama in the 80s? How did FSU get past Bowden with relatively light trouble? Is VT going to be a disaster when Beamer retires? How come we stopped joking about Beamer's neck-Kuato?

FSU had to have a Board of Trustees member fall on a sword to get enough going to kick Bobby out, but with a great amount of foresight also did it in such a way to put together a succession plan that also kicked out all potential post-Bowden trouble spots. We also had probably the most affable, charismatic, and patient of Saban's coaching tree as the hc in waiting.

A looooot of poo poo went right, to say the least

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I wish there a way that Michigan could separate itself from the deification its former coaches without child rape being involved. Has there been a noticeable shift in football culture in the couple years since that whole mess went down, or was it all concentrated in the immediate fallout over Sandusky?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

C-Euro posted:

I wish there a way that Michigan could separate itself from the deification its former coaches without child rape being involved. Has there been a noticeable shift in football culture in the couple years since that whole mess went down, or was it all concentrated in the immediate fallout over Sandusky?

When the NCAA announced it was ending sanctions early against Penn State, the students marched to demand JoePa get his wins reinstated.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Alabama at least stopped looking for their coaches among Bear's boys but it took a shitload of losing to get there. So Michigan's on the right track!

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

I should also say, that the fans turned on Bowden in short order too, thanks in large part to a notion I often invoke with VT fans on here.

"(Bowden) hasn't 'earned the right' to waste the careers and trusts of the kids who depend on him"

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
I really do think that the culture at Michigan can change and is starting to change. I think that the way Rodriguez has flourished at Arizona has been a big wakeup call. A lot of the old rah-rah guys openly say that they just want someone who will win, offensive system and connections be damned.

Also, in a weird way, Brandon's insanity will have helped the program because it swept away all the institutional memory through staff purges. Now that Brandon is gone I don't think the old guard will be coming back.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
A very large portion of the Penn State fan base still thinks Joe Paterno got the wrong rub, there are a lot of issues with Michigan and its fans but I can pretty confidently say that if it came out Lloyd Carr was harboring a coach that was diddling kids most of the fans would freak the gently caress out and not go "Hm, we better make sure his statue stays put".

Which I know is a little bit of hyperbole, but that's because Lloyd Carr doesn't have a statue. Yet.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Detroit_Dogg posted:

A very large portion of the Penn State fan base still thinks Joe Paterno got the wrong rub, there are a lot of issues with Michigan and its fans but I can pretty confidently say that if it came out Lloyd Carr was harboring a coach that was diddling kids most of the fans would freak the gently caress out and not go "Hm, we better make sure his statue stays put".

Which I know is a little bit of hyperbole, but that's because Lloyd Carr doesn't have a statue. Yet.

Yeah, but Lloyd wasn't the legend that Paterno was. Not justifying their reaction, but that isn't a 1:1 comparison.

Maybe if Bo was still alive and he coached out 40 years at Michigan it might be applicable. The only reasonably comparable situation would be Bowden at FSU. There aren't a lot of coaches that fit that profile.

It was/is a legit cult of personality there.

I'm not justifying their reaction at all, but we don't have much to compare it to. It's creepy as gently caress no matter how you look at it.
_______

On topic, but I'd never read that BOB article. That's insane. If they run Franklin off in the same fashion, they'll be doomed to decades of mediocrity.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Detroit_Dogg posted:

The better question would be how they react if it turned out Bo had done that.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
It's a bit hard to compare because Bo hadn't been coaching for a long time instead choosing to go and try and ruin the Tigers, then doing gently caress all. Meanwhile Joe Paterno shambled around the sidelines for as long as humanly possible. Basically what I'm saying is that I like to think the Michigan fan base is a little bit less insane and poisonous but I guess we all can't say anything for sure.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

The better question would be how they react if it turned out Bo had done that.

whenever someone finally goes into his untouched office, they'll discover some child-sized surprises surprises under the floorboards

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Why would a leak matter?

I was working with Kirk Herbstriet when that all happened and he had it from the lips of the Michigan AD that it was happening and wanted to go to air withit but the they asked him not too, it got out before Miles could talk LSU about it and it basically torpedoed it because he'd made it really clear to Michigan he wanted to talk to his bosses at LSU before he made a final, final decision.

But Michigan was a better job then and hadn't gone through seven years of turmoil. He wouldn't know for sure who is boss was going to be and I think he's pretty happy in LSU now.

Also, if you let your HC pick your AD you're retarded an you can likely kiss a bunch of other coaches good bye if they don't like him.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 14, 2014

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Also, if you let your HC pick your AD you're retarded an you can likely kiss a bunch of other coaches good bye if they don't like him.

I had the same fear a couple pages back, especially since one of the things allegedly driving Harbaugh out of SF is clashing with upper management. The sad truth about this possibility is that as long as the new AD gets along with Harbaugh and probably Beilein, I doubt the university will care.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Would Ohio State have had problems if Hayes hadn't neckpunched someone in clear view of everyone?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sash! posted:

Would Ohio State have had problems if Hayes hadn't neckpunched someone in clear view of everyone?

Hayes had had numerous incidents of losing his temper during games later in his career - punching a cameraman, tearing up the down markers at least twice, and other less serious issues.

It was largely laughed off as Woody Being Woody until the Clemson incident, which finally cost him his job. So it is likely that he would have gone on for a few years longer without that incident. I figured he would die on the field of a heart attack or stroke eventually.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

quote:

Comments on the My Lai Massacre
Speaking at a football banquet in 1969, Hayes spoke about the recently revealed My Lai Massacre. He stated that the Vietnamese men in My Lai deserved to die, "and I wouldn't be so sure those women were innocent. The children are obviously innocent - if they are less than five."

Was there any iconic college football coach that wasn't a huge rear end in a top hat?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I don't buy into the Michigan Man/Schembechler myth but it is kind of creepy that he died the day before Michigan's last game as a nationally relevant program (2006 @OSU).

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Adun posted:

Was there any iconic college football coach that wasn't a huge rear end in a top hat?

Coach K is a legit nice guy.

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines

Deteriorata posted:

Hayes had had numerous incidents of losing his temper during games later in his career - punching a cameraman, tearing up the down markers at least twice, and other less serious issues.

It was largely laughed off as Woody Being Woody until the Clemson incident, which finally cost him his job. So it is likely that he would have gone on for a few years longer without that incident. I figured he would die on the field of a heart attack or stroke eventually.

It's been whispered that he had some sort of undiagnosed dementia toward the end and he wasn't far from being asked to retire anyway.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Halah posted:

It's been whispered that he had some sort of undiagnosed dementia toward the end and he wasn't far from being asked to retire anyway.

It was diabetes.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Oh lord, Mgoblog is reporting it as "likely" now:

http://mgoblog.com/content/searchbits-xv-machinations

Let's have another 3 pages of the exact same argument!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Neodoomium posted:

Oh lord, Mgoblog is reporting it as "likely" now:

http://mgoblog.com/content/searchbits-xv-machinations

Let's have another 3 pages of the exact same argument!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
" I am now getting some chatter"

lol, okay there Brian. Why don't you go back to punching kids at indoor soccer games.

• Locked thread