Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I'll enjoy it if there's a moment where she tries to convince Bataar that no she totally knew he'd survive it was all part of her plan.

My prediction is that there is a scene like this, and Bataar goes up to her and effectively stabs her in the back. I don't see Kuvira getting out of this season alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
"The Bei-Fongs send their regards!"

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
You know, I know they won't probably do this because he already got his post storyline scene, and for the finale you have a whole host of good guys to help take it down, but you know who would gently caress up that Colossus real good? Zaheer. Good luck hitting him with that slow moving spirit gun. All he has to do is zoom right up to it's face and vacuum out Kuvira for now Avatar State Korra to beat the poo poo out of and boom, day saved.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Finale spoilers:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Kithkar posted:

You know, I know they won't probably do this because he already got his post storyline scene, and for the finale you have a whole host of good guys to help take it down, but you know who would gently caress up that Colossus real good? Zaheer. Good luck hitting him with that slow moving spirit gun. All he has to do is zoom right up to it's face and vacuum out Kuvira for now Avatar State Korra to beat the poo poo out of and boom, day saved.
Thanks for reminding me the Red Lotus went unresolved.

:negative:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Toshimo posted:

Finale spoilers:

Would probably be a better show, honestly.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I'm like 90% sure that the reason she tried blowing up Bataar Jr. was because the Avatar was with him, hence why she asked.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

First Bass posted:

I'm like 90% sure that the reason she tried blowing up Bataar Jr. was because the Avatar was with him, hence why she asked.

Well no poo poo.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Kithkar posted:

Zaheer teaching Kuvira that freedom is like air would be loving awesome but Korra really needs to be the one to take care of her.

DrSunshine posted:

For you and me? Unquestionably. But it would also be a totally different show and completely lose its target demographic.

...although come to think of it, GRRM has written a children's book.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

But then Tenzin would die in the first season.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Kithkar posted:

Yeah the head has got to be the main weakness. The supergun is attached to the giant slow-moving arm, so the closer you get to it, the less it can hurt you, then you're basically just fighting Kuvira.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Genocyber posted:

But then Tenzin would die in the first season.

Nah, too low stakes. Mako or Asami die in the first season. Then Korra's family is killed while she's kidnapped and brainwashed by the Red Lotus. Rest of the series is about the surviving heroes trying to stop Korra from destroying all organized civilization to enact Zaheer's anarchist vision.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Bongo Bill posted:

The most recent episode had a lot of conspicuous budget-saving techniques - the evacuation montages are the main offender - so it's clear they were saving up for the finale. I'm excited.

"Haha look non-Benders are important too."

Yeah they pulled a Speed Racer on us with the animation.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

dj_clawson posted:

"Haha look non-Benders are important too."

Yeah they pulled a Speed Racer on us with the animation.

Well yeah, all anime do that.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Someone change the thread title to This is (Definitely) Anime

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Did the super bandit that beat the airbenders during the first (or second?) episode ever appeared again? What's up with that? It looked as if he would be a recurring villain.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kithkar posted:

She doesn't need to aim it at him, she can aim it at the city and declare that she will vaporize the population if anyone interferes with her troops.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Rexides posted:

Did the super bandit that beat the airbenders during the first (or second?) episode ever appeared again? What's up with that? It looked as if he would be a recurring villain.
He never appeared again. Many thought that he would turn out to have been in Kuvira's employ, used to help her get control of states the governors of which refused to agree to her terms. I guess we were all wrong.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

X_Toad posted:

He never appeared again. Many thought that he would turn out to have been in Kuvira's employ, used to help her get control of states the governors of which refused to agree to her terms. I guess we were all wrong.
Or resolving that plotline was cut for time.

Steensma
Nov 2, 2014

JT Jag posted:

Korra is like the story of a GOT season compressed into half the time.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

JT Jag posted:

Well it was never a plot-line to begin with, since they never expanded on it. It seems that it really was just another bandit, except one with very good equipment and excellent skills.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

X_Toad posted:

Just cuz it never got confirmed doesn't make it not true :colbert:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Legend of Korra: We can't do justice to half the poo poo we put out.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Jackard posted:

Legend of Korra: We can't do justice to half the poo poo we put out.

Legend of Korra with proper marketing and network support would have been amazing.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

And the 20 episode format The Last Airbender had.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Jimbot posted:

And the 20 episode format The Last Airbender had.

Seriously, this is inarguably the biggest flaw of LoK. Most of the problems with Korra could be fixed if its creators had more episodes to do poo poo (or they could have given us even MORE Makorra, but who knows :shrug:).

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Three 20-episode cycles would have been better than four 12-episode cycles, probably.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Even with pacing issues, all that extra time will allow you to iron out plot details and character development. Besides, more time spent in that world, even if it's insubstantial, is A-OK in my book.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
20+ episodes is too many. ATLA had a ton of filler and that would kill LoK's pacing. 13 is way too few though, yeah. Give us 16 or 17 and I'm happy. Or do what that one guy said, keep it 13 episodes, but make each episode 44 minutes long instead of 22.

hangedman1984 posted:

Just cuz it never got confirmed doesn't make it not true :colbert:

Why are you so invested in Kuvira being as much of a cardboard villain as possible?

Rutibex posted:

She doesn't need to aim it at him, she can aim it at the city and declare that she will vaporize the population if anyone interferes with her troops.

Zaheer wouldn't give a poo poo. That's just the price of freedom.

PaulDirac
Aug 15, 2014
im currently just hoping that LOK isnt the last we get to see from the avatar universe. Maybe netflix or adult swim is willing to buy and properly support (fu nickelodeon) a new series. Maybe even with a more mature tone. Id like to see aang et co in their twenties in a more grim setting for example.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Aang's story is done and I really don't think seeing any more of it would be an improvement at all.

Also if we ever do get new series, I expect it to be done by Nickelodeon...with less than half the budget, by a different team, aimed at a younger audience, and focus grouped to hell. That should be about right for typical network over-reaction/misinterpretation of a failed series.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The Sharmat posted:

Aang's story is done and I really don't think seeing any more of it would be an improvement at all.

Also if we ever do get new series, I expect it to be done by Nickelodeon...with less than half the budget, by a different team, aimed at a younger audience, and focus grouped to hell. That should be about right for typical network over-reaction/misinterpretation of a failed series.

If Nickelodeon wants to produce more Avatar, I hope they do something similar to those DC Nation shorts. Vary up the creators and styles, and don't necessarily tie it in to any continuity. I mean, Batman of Shanghai and Lois Lane: Metropolis Reporter were very different but were great in their own way.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

X_Toad posted:

Well it was never a plot-line to begin with, since they never expanded on it. It seems that it really was just another bandit, except one with very good equipment and excellent skills.

Wait wait wait! 45 minutes finale, that probably means there's something to do for characters besides Korra and Kuvira, right? Are they all going to fight faceless mooks and robots? Most of them, definitely. But who's to say they won't run into some elite mook, providing some convenient drama and magical kungfu on the sidelines?! It's not too late for the magnificent swordbender to show up!

Never stop believing

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

hiddenriverninja posted:

If Nickelodeon wants to produce more Avatar, I hope they do something similar to those DC Nation shorts. Vary up the creators and styles, and don't necessarily tie it in to any continuity. I mean, Batman of Shanghai and Lois Lane: Metropolis Reporter were very different but were great in their own way.

And I want it to be an hour long netflix action/drama with a PG-13 rating, but it's not gonna happen.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
Abandoned subplots include something about the circus: Su was involved, the Red Lotus met there, and the thugs in the oasis who turned out to be mover fans of Bolin had the blue tattoos associated with everyone who was in the circus. And there was that picture floating around on the internet that a picture from someone's television of a younger Su and Zaheer working in a circus ring.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
So was Su actually Red Lotus at some point in the show's development? I kept expecting that to happen.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I am ok with no more Avatar. I'd rather see the creators work with something new without the old baggage from an already established franchise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

So was Su actually Red Lotus at some point in the show's development? I kept expecting that to happen.

No, it was just a picture of someone who people thought was Zaheer but wasn't. That doesn't make it a dropped plotline.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

The Sharmat posted:

No, this was just a fan theory (that I believed in) because one of the peeps in her circus photo looked a lot like Zaheer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

The Sharmat posted:

20+ episodes is too many. ATLA had a ton of filler and that would kill LoK's pacing. 13 is way too few though, yeah. Give us 16 or 17 and I'm happy. Or do what that one guy said, keep it 13 episodes, but make each episode 44 minutes long instead of 22.

ATLA had a ton of filler because they also had one overarching villain/goal for the whole series: The Big, Bad Fire Lord. I mean, as soon as the Gaang got to Ba Sing Se in s2, everything was solid for the rest of the season. Even Tales of Ba Sing Se was amazing, for all that it was filler and didn't really progress the plotline. Not all filler is bad if it fleshes out the world and the characters. The issue was that ATLA had more episodes than grand purpose, whereas Korra has the opposite problem. If each season of ATLA had a stronger need to complete a storyline in a set amount of time, it would have been a lot different. Instead, they had one big goal and occasional urgencies (meet Roku on the solstice, get to the North Pole, find Appa in Ba Sing Se, etc.) that pushed them along for a few episodes at the last minute, leaving them to meander along until the next emergency.

• Locked thread