Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

hepatizon posted:

Do you think it's good for a cop to prioritize external validation (being called a hero) over the internal validation that comes from upholding the law?

No, but its also not fair to paint all cops as corrupt because of what someone else does.

Why is a cop in Tampa, FL corrupt for covering up poo poo a cop in Newark, NJ is doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Cole posted:

Being in a profession that casts you in the public eye, yes. I do think cops doing good things should be reported more than regular people doing good things, if only for the fact that police, as a whole, are paid by your tax dollars. Its nice to see where the money is going.

This isn't to say corruption should be ignored. But cops definitely need to be pat on the back so the community can have assurance that there are good cops out there. Nobody needs to know that Larry down the street and his buddies of bikers helped an old lady down the street, because nobody really relies on them for anything.

Do you think it's newsworthy when an EPA bureaucrat fills out some paperwork? That's a good thing too. Why is police work different?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Cole posted:

What incentive does a cop have in coming forward? If this corruption is so rampant, then you're definitely putting your career in jeapordy.

Isn't putting your personal success and well-being above doing what your job requires of you a mark of corruption? Thus anyone doing so moves from that "good" category into the "bad" category.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Cole posted:

What incentive does a cop have in coming forward? If this corruption is so rampant, then you're definitely putting your career in jeapordy.

Well then, I guess you're abandoning your point that they're "good cops" if you're accepting that they enforce the law selectively.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Bel Shazar posted:

Isn't putting your personal success and well-being above doing what your job requires of you a mark of corruption? Thus anyone doing so moves from that "good" category into the "bad" category.

The logic is that he somehow regards the good cops as battered women.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

hepatizon posted:

Do you think it's newsworthy when an EPA bureaucrat fills out some paperwork? That's a good thing too. Why is police work different?

Does the paperwork positively affect my life? Is it part of a bigger project? Because yes, I do think the EPA doing something good should be reported on.

Why am I so bad for thinking news reporting shouldn't focus so much on the negative? People live in fear in the United States and the media helps perpetuate it better than anything else.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Jack of Hearts posted:

The logic is that he somehow regards the good cops as battered women.

My logic is read the thread because I admitted it was an unfair comparison you twat. Stop just trying to get the "own."

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Cole posted:

No, but its also not fair to paint all cops as corrupt because of what someone else does.

Why is a cop in Tampa, FL corrupt for covering up poo poo a cop in Newark, NJ is doing?

Okay, here we have two statements:
- Cops should prioritize upholding the law over being called a hero.
- It's not fair to paint all cops with the same brush.

What is the connection between these statements? If a cop prioritizes upholding the law, then being called corrupt shouldn't affect them anyway.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cole posted:

If the policy is to stand at a protest in plain clothes to ensure safety, which it probably was because I don't think now is the time for policies to be written saying anything that could look like it's green lighting abuse, then its fine.

I'm not sure why a cop would need to be in a disguise to ensure safety in this environment, but hey, I wouldn't want to stereotype the guys who can get away with murder.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Cole posted:

My logic is read the thread because I admitted it was an unfair comparison you twat. Stop just trying to get the "own."

A comparison as wretched as that really should have set off some red flags ahead of time. For all I know you abandoned it not out of moral virtue, but simply because it was an untenable position. And if that's the case, then the logic is in perfect accordance with the objection to which I was replying.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Cole posted:

Does the paperwork positively affect my life? Is it part of a bigger project? Because yes, I do think the EPA doing something good should be reported on.

Why am I so bad for thinking news reporting shouldn't focus so much on the negative? People live in fear in the United States and the media helps perpetuate it better than anything else.

If there were EPA bureaucrats who were (for example) filing enforcement actions for illegal reasons while other EPA bureaucrats knew and ignored this corruption, and other branches of government systematically swept this corruption under the rug, do you think that the news should expose this or just pretend it isn't happening?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

hepatizon posted:

Okay, here we have two statements:
- Cops should prioritize upholding the law over being called a hero.
- It's not fair to paint all cops with the same brush.

What is the connection between these statements? If a cop prioritizes upholding the law, then being called corrupt shouldn't affect them anyway.

I've addressed this repeatedly. Seriously, how many of my posts do you actually read just looking to get a zinger in?

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Cole posted:

It positively affects your life by making sure that a pond in Wisconsin is a little bit cleaner, yes. And of course it's part of a bigger project -- it's the EPA. So, you really think that every time an EPA bureaucrat files paperwork that helps keep the environment clean, it should be in the news?

I don't think you understand the nature of news, or are being deliberately disingenuous about it. Public employees doing their jobs isn't news. Public employees violating the principles of their job is news.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If there were EPA bureaucrats who were (for example) filing enforcement actions for illegal reasons while other EPA bureaucrats knew and ignored this corruption, and other branches of government systematically swept this corruption under the rug, do you think that the news should expose this or just pretend it isn't happening?

In all seriousness, do you really think its as simple as just telling on your coworkers? Especially in an environment you paint as nothing more than a big street gang?

Really? You don't see why someone wouldn't?

Really?

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Cole posted:

I've addressed this repeatedly. Seriously, how many of my posts do you actually read just looking to get a zinger in?

Okay, please quote the post where you explained how a cop, who doesn't care about external validation, is affected by bad press.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

hepatizon posted:

It positively affects your life by making sure that a pond in Wisconsin is a little bit cleaner, yes. And of course it's part of a bigger project -- it's the EPA. So, you really think that every time an EPA bureaucrat files paperwork that helps keep the environment clean, it should be in the news?

I don't think you understand the nature of news, or are being deliberately disingenuous about it. Public employees doing their jobs isn't news. Public employees violating the principles of their job is news.

Why am I so wrong for believing the news should report more on good things?

Why can't public employees get a public pat on the back for doing a good job?

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Cole posted:

They can. It's called a goddamn salary.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cole posted:

Why am I so wrong for believing the news should report more on good things?

I don't get a pat on the back for doing a good job. I get a paycheck. So do they. Time to man up.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

hepatizon posted:

They can. It's called a goddamn salary.

Hahaha so don't thank a public employee because they are getting paid for it. Don't ever thank anyone just for doing their job.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Panzeh posted:

I don't get a pat on the back for doing a good job. I get a paycheck. So do they. Time to man up.

What do you do? How is it comparable to protecting a population? What impact does it have on the population and why should the population give a poo poo?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cole posted:

Hahaha so don't thank a public employee because they are getting paid for it. Don't ever thank anyone just for doing their job.

It's a grown man world out there.

Cole posted:

What do you do? How is it comparable to protecting a population?

I keep your loving parking garages and luxury condos from falling on your head. I protect plenty of people. I don't need thank-you letters from people who buy expensive as gently caress properties.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Cole posted:

No, that's you putting words in my mouth. I didn't say "don't ever thank anyone," I said that individuals and the media don't have an obligation to lionize public employees for doing their job. There's a big difference between "lack of obligation" and "prohibition".

Your fixation on public recognition points to one of the root problems with law enforcement institutions: hero culture.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Cole posted:

In all seriousness, do you really think its as simple as just telling on your coworkers? Especially in an environment you paint as nothing more than a big street gang?

Really? You don't see why someone wouldn't?

Really?

I can absolutely see why someone wouldn't act against corruption, but they have an ethical and legal imperative to do so. Abdicating that responsibility makes them a part of that corruption, doing nothing and continuing to draw a paycheck is not a defensible position. Not if you're going to claim that they're "good cops", at least.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

hepatizon posted:

No, that's you putting words in my mouth. I didn't say "don't ever thank anyone," I said that individuals and the media don't have an obligation to lionize public employees for doing their job. There's a big difference between "lack of obligation" and "prohibition".

The media is ratings driven. Their only obligation is ratings. If you think the media isn't ratings driven, then we should move on to another topic.

Babby Formed
Jan 2, 2009
Cops get appreciation all the god drat time, anyone who's ever worked a food service job knows this. Cops eat free, even if they get a little pushy sometimes for it.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Cole posted:

The media is ratings driven. Their only obligation is ratings. If you think the media isn't ratings driven, then we should move on to another topic.

Yup, they're a business. What does that have to do with anything? Please explain how the media's pursuit of their mission (profit) prevents the police from upholding theirs (the law).

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Panzeh posted:

It's a grown man world out there.

I keep your loving parking garages and luxury condos from falling on your head. I protect plenty of people. I don't need thank-you letters from people who buy expensive as gently caress properties.

Youre also not in the spotlight like cops and other public service jobs are. Which is something I said was one of the reasons cops should be reported on for doing good things: because they are in the public eye all the time.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
The media certainly doesn't help things. Like around here recently where 150+ local cops volunteered on their day off to take 200+ underprivileged kids and their families Christmas shopping for gifts and much needed winter clothing. Not one media person showed up. But the next day when they had an "anti-police protest" downtown and (maybe) 5 people showed up there was two TV trucks and several newspapers present. Only one newspaper article about the shopping event, and it was a copy-paste of a local department press release. The "protest" got a ton of coverage, and that certainly goes a long way in perpetuating the narrative.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cole posted:

Youre also not in the spotlight like cops and other public service jobs are. Which is something I said was one of the reasons cops should be reported on for doing good things: because they are in the public eye all the time.

Given all their advantages, from free food to cheap glocks to the entire legal system, I think they'll cope. I remember reading an article about where a seattle cop went to an anarchist coffee shop and complained mightily about not being served. What a bunch of babies.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 14, 2014

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Untagged posted:

The media certainly doesn't help things. Like around here recently where 150+ local cops volunteered on their day off to take 200+ underprivileged kids and their families Christmas shopping for gifts and much needed winter clothing. Not one media person showed up. But the next day when they had an "anti-police protest" downtown and (maybe) 5 people showed up there was two TV trucks and several newspapers present. Only one newspaper article about the shopping event, and it was a copy-paste of a local department press release. The "protest" got a ton of coverage, and that certainly goes a long way in perpetuating the narrative.

Your anecdote assumes its own conclusion -- that the media didn't cover the charity because they are biased against the police.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Cole posted:

This is why individual good cops don't really matter when you're talking about how the police as a whole are perceived. When the rottenness of the system forces them to be complicit with the worst of the bad cops what does it really matter if they really hated standing by while their shithead colleague choked out a protester? Does a cop helping an old lady change her tire on the highway really make up for the time turned his back as his partner tased a handcuffed suspect? I'm sure the absolute worst cop has done good things during their career but that really doesn't have any bearing on the bad things they've done, it's not a karma system where it balances out.

No amount of good press is going to make this situation better, if anything it's going to lead people to believe that cases of abuse are just one off incidents that can be ignored rather than deep, structural problems in the police force. I'm really not sure what positive effect you think a more positive image of the police is going to produce without addressing the root cause of the negative press.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

hepatizon posted:

Yup, they're a business. What does that have to do with anything? Please explain how the media's pursuit of their mission (profit) prevents the police from upholding theirs (the law).

You've been asking me what I think the media should and shouldn't cover. Sorry for answering the question you asked and not the one you wanted to ask.

The media controls peoples' widespread perception of things. My perception of Ferguson is based on the reports I've read, because I wasn't there and its all I have to go on.

The media sensationalizes negative news because unfortunately, thats what sells. Its the reason George Zimmerman became a national story. Was it a race issue? Yes. But when is the last time the national news picked up a story like that? One that didn't involve race, I mean.

Race has become a huge topic in the US right now. And it should come up until racism is somehow fixed (it never will be I don't think). Which explains why racial incidents in small towns blow up nationally. Was the Michael Brown shooting racially motivated? I'm certain race was a factor, whether or not the officer was consciously aware of it.

Now the media picks up on it. All we hear is racist cops on the news (there are people who are supportive, but the louder group is the one screaming corruption -- on television at least). Good cops are ignored. Michael Brown dominated the news media for a while.

People watch it and all they are hearing about is how racist this cop is. And then he doesn't get indicted. Now, somehow, all cops have become corrupt.

Now imagine that regional story stayed regional. And for several weeks all we hear about is how great cops are. People's perception of the police will change.

The media controls that. If you don't believe it, look at how well cops got treated for several years immediately following 9/11.

Now what situation do you think is going to breed more corruption: reporting on cops doing great poo poo (nothing will measure up to 9/11, but give just a fraction of the coverage 9/11 got to cops doing every day good things) or constantly talking about how corrupt cops are?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Racism and police corruption are real issues that need to be fixed, but not at the expense of good people.

But I guess if you blame everyone you have a 100% chance of getting the guilty one.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Rookersh posted:

So in case ya'll don't know, Seattle had some really bad police problems in the past. Racism, brutality, etc, pretty much everything this thread goes over.

The Justice Department was eventually called in by the City Council/inquest reports ( police crime in Seattle isn't investigated by the police for obvious reasons, instead it's handled by external agencies/inquest http://www.chron.com/opinion/outlook/article/Casey-Seattle-gets-it-right-on-police-killings-5955169.php. After a particularly bad incident, the inquest sent for the Justice Department. ) , and they fired pretty much everyone who they thought wasn't fit for duty based on previous reports, and forced all the remaining officers to go through extreme empathy training. On top of that, they've changed the training exercises for Washington police officers into a new program designed to put the citizens before the cops. ( http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2021389398_policeacademyxml.html )

Since then, the City Council has spent more money on dash cams/body cams then they have military gear for our cops, which has led to a pretty decent amount of videos. The problem was they couldn't figure out a proper pipeline to give these videos to the public, despite public inquiry, since many videos had faces/SS numbers/the interiors of peoples homes inside. After a particularly bad inquest by a Seattle citizen asking for literally every video they had so he could reupload them on youtube, they decided to instead turn to the tech/programming community of Seattle for help, asking them to come up with programs to get around these issues. The requester came up with a quick hack version, and they've since given him access to a decent chunk of the videos, which you can find on youtube now ( https://www.youtube.com/user/policevideorequests ). The SPD is hosting a hackathon later this month specifically to try and fix this issue entirely, so they can just offer an open pipeline of police cam videos to the public without them sifting through to make sure everything is safe to view by the public first.

On top of this, Ferguson/national outcry has convinced Seattle it needs to get better at recording it's information. They recently bought several advanced cams and gave them to 16 officers that volunteered to test them, all of different makes and models. Once they've chosen which ones work best, they'll be spending all that money that'd normally have gone to assault rifles on outfitting every officer with his own camera, which has to be on at all times. The Chief of Police, several police unions, and multiple officers have all mentioned they are excited for these things to go into effect, because it completely removes all questions from what happened. Instead you can just watch the video and see who was in the right. For once, activist organizations and the police are trying to get something into circulation as soon as possible, as it benefits both sides.

There's also smaller things they've done as well. They realized their public information channel wasn't very good, so they hired police watchdogs/investigate journalists to take over their twitter/facebook page, which has led to the SPD twitter/app being SUPER useful. All events in the city are immediately recorded and brought up, and they give constant advice during times of tragedy. During the SPU shooting earlier this year, the twitter/app buzzed into action, warning parents not to call loved ones, as it could set their phones off during a bad time, to not rush to the university, but to meet the police at a nearby area where the evacuations were happening, etc etc. Pretty much everyone I know that lives in Seattle follows that twitter, just because it's such a useful tool for keeping safe.

Why am I saying all this? Because it's all worked great. The public opinion isn't fully changed yet, but to be fair they are attempting to change years worth of bad behavior here, and it's only been 3 years. I'd bring up the numbers here, but "police brutality seattle" only seems to bring up protest stuff, so you'll have to trust me on this until I can find it again, but crime hasn't risen, more cops haven't died, but police brutality reports have gone down considerably. We've always been able to charge the "bad apples" thanks to our inquest system, but fewer and fewer bad apples show up every year, probably because they've stopped being welcome, and now they realize they can't pull their stunts as easily anymore.

And that's the thing. You can say bad apples all you want, they aren't the problem. The problem is the system isn't designed to find them and remove them from the overall basket of proverbial officers, and there is little to no reason not to be a bad apple. Trusting individual officer morality has led to tragedy after tragedy, and doesn't seem to give any benefit to the police force in their day to day job. Oversight, mixed in with proper support structures and accountability protocols have already shown massive changes here in Seattle, and will likely clean up the problem entirely within the next few years. So uh, why not just do it? Why not adopt these principles over the entire country?

I just wanted to call out this great effort post by Rookersh a couple of pages back since it didn't seem to get any love.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Cole posted:

Now what situation do you think is going to breed more corruption: reporting on cops doing great poo poo (nothing will measure up to 9/11, but give just a fraction of the coverage 9/11 got to cops doing every day good things) or constantly talking about how corrupt cops are?

The former. Jesus Christ. Pro-police propaganda just gives them even greater leeway to get away with crimes. If the media were constantly saying nice things about the police, then the assumption that the unarmed civilian getting shot by the cops was asking for it would be even greater than it is now, and right now it's still massively widespread.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

You're missing the point. Cops (and prosecutors and politicians for that matter) that refuse to enforce laws against other cops are not "good cops".

Even if it's understandable why they would want to keep their heads down, it doesn't make it right.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Jack of Hearts posted:

The former. Jesus Christ. Pro-police propaganda just gives them even greater leeway to get away with crimes. If the media were constantly saying nice things about the police, then the assumption that the unarmed civilian getting shot by the cops was asking for it would be even greater than it is now, and right now it's still massively widespread.

I didn't say not to report corruption. I said do more reporting on the good things cops do.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

hepatizon posted:

I didn't say "don't ever thank anyone," I said that individuals and the media don't have an obligation to lionize public employees for doing their job. There's a big difference between "lack of obligation" and "prohibition".

Cole posted:

hepatizon posted:

Cole posted:

You've been asking me what I think the media should and shouldn't cover. Sorry for answering the question you asked and not the one you wanted to ask.

Looking through these recent posts, I have no idea what you mean by "the question you asked and not the one you wanted to ask". What question was that? Am I only allowed to ask one question?

Cole posted:

The media controls peoples' widespread perception of things. My perception of Ferguson is based on the reports I've read, because I wasn't there and its all I have to go on.

The media sensationalizes negative news because unfortunately, thats what sells. Its the reason George Zimmerman became a national story. Was it a race issue? Yes. But when is the last time the national news picked up a story like that? One that didn't involve race, I mean.

Race has become a huge topic in the US right now. And it should come up until racism is somehow fixed (it never will be I don't think). Which explains why racial incidents in small towns blow up nationally. Was the Michael Brown shooting racially motivated? I'm certain race was a factor, whether or not the officer was consciously aware of it.

Now the media picks up on it. All we hear is racist cops on the news (there are people who are supportive, but the louder group is the one screaming corruption -- on television at least). Good cops are ignored. Michael Brown dominated the news media for a while.

People watch it and all they are hearing about is how racist this cop is. And then he doesn't get indicted. Now, somehow, all cops have become corrupt.

Now imagine that regional story stayed regional. And for several weeks all we hear about is how great cops are. People's perception of the police will change.

The media controls that. If you don't believe it, look at how well cops got treated for several years immediately following 9/11.

So what you're saying is that talking about corruption, whether real or imagined, actually creates more corruption. The only way to fix corruption is not to talk about it. Interesting.

Cole posted:

I didn't say not to report corruption. I said do more reporting on the good things cops do.

Is this a policy proposal? Kind of a tradeoff where if the police have to get reformed, the media also has a quota of Good Cop articles to meet?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

hepatizon posted:

Looking through these recent posts, I have no idea what you mean by "the question you asked and not the one you wanted to ask". What question was that? Am I only allowed to ask one question?

So what you're saying is that talking about corruption, whether real or imagined, actually creates more corruption. The only way to fix corruption is not to talk about it. Interesting.

No. That's not what I said at all. I said the media creates a perception of police corruption due to an imbalances reporting practice for a ratings grab. So people are going to start thinking you are corrupt. And when people think you are corrupt when you arent, it does not help corruption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Cole posted:

After saying that the media controls public perception of the cops, you implicitly suggested that if the media were to deliberately take on a pro-police bias in its reporting, corruption would be lessened. OK, that's an affirmative claim, make a case.

• Locked thread