Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Forge World guard and more more 'true to scale' compared to their marines. This means they're a lot smaller than regular guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I think the Elysians go even further though - I have some of the Hazardous Environment Cadian bits which are smaller than regular Chadians but still look pretty huge on the Elysian legs.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

ineptmule posted:

I think the Elysians go even further though - I have some of the Hazardous Environment Cadian bits which are smaller than regular Chadians but still look pretty huge on the Elysian legs.

Thats because the Cadian bits are designed to go on GW plastics. Elysians are Forgeworld through and through. The Death Korps are the same, much smaller.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Just found out that Mutant got its first release in the US. Kind of excited about that and felt like sharing.

What is wrong with me.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Tasoth posted:

Just found out that Mutant got its first release in the US. Kind of excited about that and felt like sharing.

What is wrong with me.

It actually took me up to me seeing it mentioned in the DriveThrough RPG that you were talking about Mutant: Year Zero aka the latest release of the Swedish Mutant RPG line.
I had no clue what so ever that it was actually getting an English translation for that part.
Pity I almost liked the setting in it's predecessor a bit more.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

ineptmule posted:

Heroic. Yeah, it is too big. They came from Statuesque, and I'm considering getting their true scale heads instead, which would be nice as there are many more options at that scale.

However then I have the issue of trying to get the scale to match across the rest of the heads I've got. I've got heads from like 6 different suppliers, so I'm going to have to figure it out.

Edit: I guess the other thing to note is the Elysian bodies seem pretty small - true scale or even slightly smaller. Finding heads with a sufficient range of aesthetics at the right scales is hard :(

What I do is I collect miniatures with nice headsculpts (female usually) and then recast the head in resin for use in conversions. Reaper is pretty good for this. If you need truescale heads get a bunch of stuff from Hasslefree and recast them.

Edit - When I recast I just make a mould of the head and shoulders. Means I can usually get away with a 1-part pour mold.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Recasting is a whole new rabbit hole for me. I'm sure I'll take the plunge one of these days though...

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

These guys need some errant brush strokes cleaned up and a few pieces highlighted but otherwise are near done.

Sprayed them white, then a grey wash (Vallejo Grey wash) then a dry brush of more white, then details.

Thinking that I need something red in the front to kind of give it some symmetry with the red stripes on the tails and the side, but I'm also not wanting to over do it. These models have so many details I could spend quite a while painting them still.

I also need to build a light box soonish.

ProfZoom
Mar 22, 2005

This is our last dance!
Actually been kind of curious about recasting and molds, as luck would have it. I want to crank out minis for I eventually run Tyranny of Dragons/Rise of Tiamat and I was looking for a suitable Leosin. Some digging showed me this guy and I figured I could use Garryth's head. But I don't want to be left with a headless elf.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

ProfZoom posted:

Actually been kind of curious about recasting and molds, as luck would have it. I want to crank out minis for I eventually run Tyranny of Dragons/Rise of Tiamat and I was looking for a suitable Leosin. Some digging showed me this guy and I figured I could use Garryth's head. But I don't want to be left with a headless elf.

Get a basic casting starter kit (2-part sillicone and resin). Suspend miniature upside down above a suitable container - I used cut up blisters. Follow instructions as per your casting kit . If you're careful you can just make a mould of the head and neck, mine used to go to mid chest/waist. You may have to cut the mould a little to extract the master miniature, but you should leave the head intact.

Tips to avoid air bubbles:

Dust the inside of the mould with talcum powder.
Use a paperclip as a channel to pour the resin directly into the deepest part of the mould. If you just pour it directly into the top, surface tension can mean the head area won't fill.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Are there any significant differences between an Iwata silver jet and a sprint jet 850? There's a varying chasm of price differences between those two but for the most part their specs are nearly identical.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I've been emotionally bribed into starting Warmachine so I have got a mostly-assembled battle-box infront of me: but I really detest the super-bright colors. I am thinking of going for a weathered mid-dark green-grey, and using object-source lighting on the warjacks (fire for grills) and any a green on glowing weapons for attentiopn: so almost a Cryx paintscheme. I was wondering if anyone had any bright ideas for under/base/top/highlight colors?

Style-wise something very close to this: http://www.coolminiornot.com/263774?browseid=10823621
Color-scheme more like the armor plates on this: http://www.coolminiornot.com/140634?browseid=10823621

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Are you doing Cryx? "Super bright colors" isn't something I'd say about the default studio scheme.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Ah, I didn't specify - I've got Khador - bronze and red are pretty bleaugh IMO, especially metallic colors on spikey trim pieces.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

moths posted:

Are you doing Cryx? "Super bright colors" isn't something I'd say about the default studio scheme.

Any color other than the stuidio one is better.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I've seen some pretty cool stuff done with Khador in a Soviet scheme. ie: Forest green with white stenciled markings, and harsh weathering. You basically slap a WW2 Russian armor paintjob on the jacks, and it comes out looking really good. Sometimes people splash red, but that just looks too Christmas for me.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

^ Well, I'm looking at modelling the jacks along AFV-modelling lines : single-color for the whole jack, then using different effects like rust, mud and scraped paint to differentiate bits. The WW2 Russian green is pretty much #00FF00 though:
http://s127.photobucket.com/user/szaloga/media/__6_0110_zps892b01c8.jpg.html so I'd be aiming more for a grey-green or grey like so: http://s1263.photobucket.com/user/kama6/media/bingo/Sabkuch/2i7nspd.jpg.html - but I can't figure out what actual paint-pot-colors to use to get it.

Those cartoon cryx look ace - if the Khador weren't so INDUSTRIAL-HEARTLAND you could almost imagine an early-90's Golden Daemon pastel-color thing going on.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

There are a couple threads on the PP forums that might be worth looking at (as much as the forums are a cesspool in a lot of ways the painting section has some good inspiration now and then)

http://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?137364-Green-Khador-Log may be too green for what you're looking for

http://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?80103-First-Warjack-Khador-Juggernaut this one is dark grey. He doesn't say which color specifically he uses for his base but maybe Eshin Grey? I use that on my Khador jacks with the Nuln Oil or an old Undercoat Black for the shading and Codex Grey for highlights.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Those are really great links, thanks - the first is what I was more or less aiming for (which are VMC olive grey/drab) - but now that silly Cryx bonejack has got me all in a fuddle about using really bright, silly colors - somewhere between heraldry and harlequin:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Southern Heel posted:

The WW2 Russian green is pretty much #00FF00 though

I'd been using the Krylon Fusion "Deep Forest Green" spray to prime / paint my Russian armor. It was a pretty great match to stuff like this:

But but apparently krylon no longer produces that color. :sigh:

Really there's no "wrong green" since production was spread across many different factories and Soviet-era standardization was something of a joke.

FoulWeatherFriend
Apr 10, 2006

Huh, okay...

Numlock posted:

These guys need some errant brush strokes cleaned up and a few pieces highlighted but otherwise are near done.

Sprayed them white, then a grey wash (Vallejo Grey wash) then a dry brush of more white, then details.

Thinking that I need something red in the front to kind of give it some symmetry with the red stripes on the tails and the side, but I'm also not wanting to over do it. These models have so many details I could spend quite a while painting them still.

I also need to build a light box soonish.

You don't happen to have a Space Marine or something like that you could put next to that big ship for scale reference do you? I may or may not be making A Thing using Firestorm Armada ships but I kinda need to know how large the larger ships are before I commit the money to it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

FoulWeatherFriend posted:

You don't happen to have a Space Marine or something like that you could put next to that big ship for scale reference do you? I may or may not be making A Thing using Firestorm Armada ships but I kinda need to know how large the larger ships are before I commit the money to it.

Dire Avenger good enough?

Same frigate, different but similarly sized battleship, and a cruiser in the middle

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Southern Heel posted:

Those are really great links, thanks - the first is what I was more or less aiming for (which are VMC olive grey/drab) - but now that silly Cryx bonejack has got me all in a fuddle about using really bright, silly colors - somewhere between heraldry and harlequin:

This dude is seriously :krad:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

moths posted:

I'd been using the Krylon Fusion "Deep Forest Green" spray to prime / paint my Russian armor. It was a pretty great match to stuff like this:

But but apparently krylon no longer produces that color. :sigh:

Really there's no "wrong green" since production was spread across many different factories and Soviet-era standardization was something of a joke.

That's not really the correct Soviet green colour (7BO), that was more like this.

However, this was the colour applied at the factory (the recipe was the same for every factory). In the field, things were a bit different. If you get paint from the factory on time, that's great, but that was the exception rather than the rule. I have quite a few Soviet tank painting instructions, and one of them offers field-expedient alternatives to getting "good enough" looking paint from brick dust and ground up twigs and stuff like that.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

That's one happy BT tank :buddy:

FoulWeatherFriend
Apr 10, 2006

Huh, okay...

NTRabbit posted:

Dire Avenger good enough?

Same frigate, different but similarly sized battleship, and a cruiser in the middle

The Dire Avenger is perfect, but I was hoping to see how think it is. The Thing I might be doing is a solid resin table with spaceships in it, so I don't want it to be too thick to keep weight down. It's looking like the biggest ships are too thick anyway, which sucks.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Southern Heel posted:

Feel free to steal my Khador scheme:

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

For what its worth, I assume that's a 1" grid it's on

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I've got a fairly random question. I just started painting some Warhammer Dark Elves, and could anyone tell me what color recipe/process they use to make the gold accented gear - like for example on the helmet crest or shield icon of the regular spear dudes. I would have even considered buying one of their painting guides, but I don't own an iPad or a Mac. Im sure its probably something needlessly complex, so ill likely end up using a mix of brown and metallic gold with a wash but I was curious.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lakedaimon posted:

I've got a fairly random question. I just started painting some Warhammer Dark Elves, and could anyone tell me what color recipe/process they use to make the gold accented gear - like for example on the helmet crest or shield icon of the regular spear dudes. I would have even considered buying one of their painting guides, but I don't own an iPad or a Mac. Im sure its probably something needlessly complex, so ill likely end up using a mix of brown and metallic gold with a wash but I was curious.

Not sure if it is the same as the Dark Elves, but: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9HzqHVg1uE at 10 minutes has some good gold.

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10
scorched brown base, auric gold layer, wash with sepia, layer auric, start mixing in runefang silver for highlights.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

After reading the name- sweet space wolf dreadnought

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

The Dire Avenger is perfect, but I was hoping to see how think it is. The Thing I might be doing is a solid resin table with spaceships in it, so I don't want it to be too thick to keep weight down. It's looking like the biggest ships are too thick anyway, which sucks.

That Battleship is a little over 1 and 1/8th inches thick. It is by no means the thickest one ether.

Firestorm Armada ships are hilariously huge.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Is it Sunday? Did I stay up until almost 3 AM to finish my Shadowsword even though I have work in the morning? Yup.

This thing is loving awesome. Huge, too.

Even Russes look like babies next to this thing!

I'm going to have a lot of fun blowing up my friends' titans at our huge Apoc game in January.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

No combat tits, 3/10, feel ashamed.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Post 9-11 User posted:

No combat tits, 3/10, feel ashamed.

I know. I am a failure.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

I recently bought myself a Tyranid Hive Tyrant as a sort of Christmas/New Year's project to paint, and now I'm wondering how sturdy the whole thing is if modeled as a flying version, and whether it would need some additional support. It just seems really fragile to only have the tail as the only thing attaching the big-rear end monster to its base. Am I just being overly cautious or is it as fragile as it seems?

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
If anyone else is like me and was using cheap brushes while learning but wants to upgrade to a higher quality brush without going to a full on Windsor and Newton or other very expensive single brush that you may ruin I would so far be very happy to recommend the Games and Gears brushes here http://museonstore.com/collections/hobby-supplies .

Every now and then I still gently caress up a brush, which is easy with cheap and lovely brushes, but needed to get something better so tried these out as they're Kolinsky sable. Only a few days in but so far the points are great, they hold that point amazingly, and they just overall work way better than any GW Brush or other brush I've gotten from like hobby lobby. While I'm sure I'll eventually upgrade to the Windsor and Newton Kolinsky brushes in the future as I continue to advance my skills I so far think these are great stepping stone brushes the may be able to help others that are in the same boat I was.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

ineptmule posted:

I know. I am a failure.

Mistakes Into Miracles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

ineptmule posted:

I'm really liking the effect. I also think the Elysian lasguns look awesomely different and high-tech which definitely fits for the Van Saar. Here's my VS test model:

This really just makes me want to start playing XCOM again.

• Locked thread