Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

FrozenVent posted:

uh the money in a hedge fund is also subject to inflation also the bank isn't charging you inflation

are you a bitcoiner by any chance?

the idea is that the hedge fund gives returns that offset inflation and the current account doesnt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Pinterest Mom posted:

if you keep money in the bank and earn 0.5% nominal interest, but inflation is 2%, you're effectively being charged ~1.5%.

the alternative could be to invest in an index fund and earn 4-5% real return, or buy a risk free inflation protected government bond and earn ~0.1% real return

gonna be pedantic and point out that you're not being 'charged' ~1.5%

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

yeah it's being stolen from you

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

end the fed, gas all banksters

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Necc0 posted:

gonna be pedantic and point out that you're not being 'charged' ~1.5%

the word "effectively" is pulling a lot of weight in that sentence

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Condiv posted:

yeah it's being stolen from you

Forums Terrorist posted:

end the fed, gas all banksters

this but also yourself

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Pinterest Mom posted:

the word "effectively" is pulling a lot of weight in that sentence

an adverb doesn't change reality

the bank isn't charging you poo poo, your money is losing value

pretty different thing

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

an adverb doesn't change reality

the bank isn't charging you poo poo, your money is losing value

pretty different thing

:shrug:

you deposit 100$
your bank buys a 100$ TIPS

after a year, you have 98.5$ in real terms
and your bank has 100.1$

you can semantically disagree that you're being "charged" the difference, but i don't know that it's a useful distinction to make. it's money you lost because you left your money in a bank account rather than putting it literally anywhere else

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
you lose that money no mater where you put it. mattress, bank account, hedge fund, blueberry futures

some investment returns more than inflations. this is independent of the fact that your money inflate

by assigning the inflation to the bank account, instead of to the money in the bank account, you sound like a bitcoiner. also you're not making a fair comparison because the hedge fund charges 2% but is ALSO subject to inflation so by your calculation the hedge fund charges 3.7%

if you get a return higher than that, whoopee. if you don't you're still getting charged

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Pinterest Mom posted:

if you keep money in the bank and earn 0.5% nominal interest, but inflation is 2%, you're effectively being charged ~1.5%.

the alternative could be to invest in an index fund and earn 4-5% real return, or buy a risk free inflation protected government bond and earn ~0.1% real return

way to be a pendant

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i lust for the day that inflation is 10%

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

FrozenVent posted:

uh the money in a hedge fund is also subject to inflation also the bank isn't charging you inflation
these are fair points too, so let me amend my complaint even further:

the effective costs of a savings account are now comparable to the historical costs of very expensive active managers

and that is bullshit

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

you lose that money no mater where you put it. mattress, bank account, hedge fund, blueberry futures

some investment returns more than inflations. this is independent of the fact that your money inflate

by assigning the inflation to the bank account, instead of to the money in the bank account, you sound like a bitcoiner. also you're not making a fair comparison because the hedge fund charges 2% but is ALSO subject to inflation so by your calculation the hedge fund charges 3.7%

if you get a return higher than that, whoopee. if you don't you're still getting charged

do you know that: bsd and i are different posters, making similar but not identical arguments?

i'm trying to make the narrow point that you should see inflation as a charge when there are alternative investments available that protect you from inflation.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
0% interest and 1.7% inflation is a really lovely, messed up spread

i'm sorry i mentioned hedge funds at all

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

FrozenVent posted:

the mattress thing is really important

if interest rates were 5%, but inflation was 6.7%, the spread on a savings account would be (about) the same, but you would be crazy to keep your money in a mattress.

when interest rates are 0%, but inflation is 1.7%, you might as well use a mattress or a safe in the wall who the gently caress cares what are money market accounts even good for

poty
Jun 21, 2008

i hold a diversified portfolio. half in bitcoins and half in uber stock, bought with credit card debt

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Pinterest Mom posted:

:shrug:

you deposit 100$
your bank buys a 100$ TIPS

after a year, you have 98.5$ in real terms
and your bank has 100.1$

banks have crazy access to liquidity right now so in all likelihood they aren't doing jack poo poo with your money or are making a negligible amount

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Necc0 posted:

banks have crazy access to liquidity right now so in all likelihood they aren't doing jack poo poo with your money or are making a negligible amount

yes: they're buying hundreds of billions in treasuries. 1.99 trillion as of october

yields are pretty poo poo on those assets. so they have to pay out even lower interest on time deposits than they receive from treasuries or tips

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
plus they're not allowed to be complete bastards with fees and 'helpful' accounting to gently caress over account holders so why even bother at this point

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
just pay a jewsomeone to manage your money. hth

born on a buy you fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 14, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

born on a buy you posted:

just pay a jewsomeone to manage your money. hth

yeah pay me

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Nintendo Kid posted:

The Apple Newton existed and was actually decent for book reading.

Yeah that was one of the things the Newton was actually great for. I read a whole lot of OCR'd text files of books on one of these bad boys:

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Anyone else lust after Japanese market only Toshiba Librettos back when they were basically the only netbook size option (before netbooks were a thing and when that form factor was the subnotebook or whatever)?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

no but if someone goes to japan & brings me an european-voltage zojirushi rice cooker youll be my hero forever

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

super nailgun posted:

Anyone else lust after Japanese market only Toshiba Librettos back when they were basically the only netbook size option (before netbooks were a thing and when that form factor was the subnotebook or whatever)?

same, but sony

sadly none of the .jp-market stuff ever ran linux or freebsd worth a drat

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

i like the part of the thread where people said that laptops werent portable

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

same, but sony

sadly none of the .jp-market stuff ever ran linux or freebsd worth a drat

Ah yeah, Sony made some nice poo poo too. Was way out of my price range back then though.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

poty posted:

no but if someone goes to japan & brings me an european-voltage zojirushi rice cooker youll be my hero forever

aren't they 100-240 anyways so just buy a plug adaptor

poty
Jun 21, 2008

theyre not

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

duTrieux. posted:

i've directed that my company-matched 401(k) fund is invested with maximum risk because, you know, bubble. probably going to reconfigure that come the new year.

money in the bank is for rent/spending or as a way-point to other things.

i still have some stocks i bought years ago in three companies. the average gains are at about 130% per.

i'm probably going to be debt-free next year, it's a weird thought

then once i'm free of the illuminati fiat-lizard conspiracy i will be able to devote all of my financial resources to promulgating the word satoshi of clan nakomoto

hope you're young enough to lose your entire 401k in the event that the bubble pops earlier than you suspect. that's the thing about bubbles - a lot of people realize they're bubbles but still go all-in maximum-risk anyway because they think they'll have some way of knowing when to pull out before it pops

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

super nailgun posted:

no, because my grandma gave me a Sony Vaio ultraportable.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

hope you're young enough to lose your entire 401k in the event that the bubble pops earlier than you suspect. that's the thing about bubbles - a lot of people realize they're bubbles but still go all-in maximum-risk anyway because they think they'll have some way of knowing when to pull out before it pops

these sort of people were created in the same way

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

there was a time when laptops came with built-in printers because they were so loving huge that why not

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

unless you had a GRiD or an alienware or that one acer desktop replacement monstrosity with a fukken P4 in it most laptops were quite portable

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

LCD technology was hideous for a very long time tho yes

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

bassguitarhero posted:

there was a time when laptops came with built-in printers because they were so loving huge that why not

please don't confuse portable/luggable computers for laptops

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

unless you had a GRiD or an alienware or that one acer desktop replacement monstrosity with a fukken P4 in it most laptops were quite portable

this. laptop bag sizes have barely changed over the years, we mostly just lost an inch of thickness or so. but since nobody walks around holding the things gripped by their side to begin with it didn't really matter.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

http://www.cs.cuw.edu/museum/ibmps2p70.html

quote:

The "P" in P70 stood for portable, but the machine was usually called the "luggable" because of its weight (about 20 lbs).

I actually have one of these in my garage that I got from my father. I should see if it still boots.

Edit:
I confused luggable for laptop :(

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

not portable enough to just carry around wherever you went and flip 'em open whenever you wanted to read a book, that's for sure. old laptops used to weigh a lot more and have maybe a third of the battery life. and even modern laptops turned out to be non-optimal for book-reading compared to purpose-built devices

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Main Paineframe posted:

not portable enough to just carry around wherever you went and flip 'em open whenever you wanted to read a book, that's for sure. old laptops used to weigh a lot more and have maybe a third of the battery life. and even modern laptops turned out to be non-optimal for book-reading compared to purpose-built devices

well in those days there were already carry everywhere devices that oyu could read books on. it was an insanely pouplar use of newtons, palm pilots and other such devices, let alone the purpose built ereaders that starte dup in the mid-late 90s.

most of them actually worked quite well, their biggest problem was:
1) lack of and expense of the ebooks legally and
2) lack of good pirate copies and easy ways to get them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Main Paineframe posted:

this should probably be your cue to pull out

• Locked thread