Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Of course today is the day that everyone that knows I was in the navy messages me saying "go navy you watching the game?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Nice! posted:

Of course today is the day that everyone that knows I was in the navy messages me saying "go navy you watching the game?"

"No, I'm a fan of a real football team :smug:"

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

reply back "navy football is why i'm crippled"

Akula Raskolnikova
May 12, 2013
So after a year at Fort Sam Houston, I'm finally going to a real Navy command, at Portsmouth Naval Hospital. I'll be there in January. Normally I wouldn't really be looking forward to it, but this C School was the loving worst. I can't wait to just go somewhere loving else. Maybe see a seagull or something, I don't know.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Octopode posted:

Technically, OEF ended a couple days ago and was replaced by Operation Resolute Support. Not sure how that affects the actual award eligibility though. Everyone just gets GWOT EMs now, I guess?

We saw an article saying that ISIS related support would be covered by a GWOT-EM, but that doesn't really make sense given that the GWOT-EM was already being awarded to ships operating in C5F, which for my command at least meant that the announcement might as well have been that they're not giving out awards for ISIS CRISIS unless they authorize GWOTEM service stars. Oh well.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Akula Raskolnikova posted:

\Portsmouth Naval Hospital

FAQ answers:

Yes. Lock your doors.

No. Don't go to any of the nearby strip clubs.

The smell comes from the shipyard.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Akula Raskolnikova posted:

So after a year at Fort Sam Houston, I'm finally going to a real Navy command, at Portsmouth Naval Hospital. I'll be there in January. Normally I wouldn't really be looking forward to it, but this C School was the loving worst. I can't wait to just go somewhere loving else. Maybe see a seagull or something, I don't know.

Youre a lab tech right? Surg? Regardless, you might be able to leave Portsmouth with fat stacks moonlighting or just save up. A hospital that big youll easily fall into the shadows if you want. What was so bad with C School? I know rotations at the hospitals sucked during clinicals but lol.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

KetTarma posted:

FAQ answers:

Yes. Lock your doors.

No. Don't go to any of the nearby strip clubs.

The smell comes from the shipyard.

Don't live in Portsmouth. Get one of those fast pass things, because you'll be paying for the tunnel every day. But don't live in Portsmouth.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Mr. Nice! posted:

Last time I went to the army navy game I was 7 months pregnant. I was heckling the poo poo out of the army being my usual charming self. The army fans in front of us started screaming that I would never possibly understand what it is to serve, blah blah blah. This persisted after my husband told them I had been in Iraq. Also a drunk army mom tried to assault my husband, who was in uniform. Of course what prompted it was her redneck husband saying you need to keep your woman in line, to which husband responded "you need to keep yours on a leash." Go army.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
I don't give a gently caress about football. Ever. The uniforms are ridiculous every year, too. I know we don't pay for them, but it seems like excess for a bullshit game that doesn't matter anyway.

I do like El Cid though.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
I only care about the Army/Navy game because it gives me another reason to incite factional warfare in my office

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
The Army/Navy Game is a lot of fun.

One year we used food to bribe some little kids to sit above the entrance tunnel to the seating area and knock covers off the heads, and food out of the hands, of cadets with those inflatable clapper tube things.

Wandering the streets of Philly in uniform afterwards was the first time I was ever propositioned by a hooker.

Good times.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

I still find it very hard to give a gently caress about the naval and army academies playing football.

I caught part of it at lunch today. It's funny, all the patriotic poo poo about honor and sacrifice and so on and my thoughts are just "LOL boots"

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

I caught part of it at lunch today. It's funny, all the patriotic poo poo about honor and sacrifice and so on and my thoughts are just "LOL boots"

I caught maybe 20 cumulative minutes of it on the radio today while driving around and thought it was pretty amusing how the commentators talk about mids/cadets like they're all war heroes when in reality they've done absolutely jack squat gently caress-all and aren't even in the "real" military yet. But w/e.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
attn: all hands ft meade md crew. frisco tap house brewery has a new location in crofton . join the beer club, drink 50 different beers and get a free t shirt.. 100 beers and all pints are upgraded to 20 oz. let's get hosed up.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Sir Lucius posted:

attn: all hands ft meade md crew. frisco tap house brewery has a new location in crofton . join the beer club, drink 50 different beers and get a free t shirt.. 100 beers and all pints are upgraded to 20 oz. let's get hosed up.

What's the address shippie? I only know of the one in Columbia...

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos
Just put on E5 in 2 years. First thing LPO says to me is "you know, I've never been pissed that someone made rank before."

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Arione posted:

Just put on E5 in 2 years. First thing LPO says to me is "you know, I've never been pissed that someone made rank before."

Your LPO is an rear end in a top hat.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

poopkitty posted:

Your LPO is an rear end in a top hat.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Arione posted:

gently caress that guy. Honestly, putting on rank fast is always a good sign. Even with certain communites that advance fast, 100%'s, or just good on your knees, you will be making more money soon, have more responsibility which gives you more chances to excel. Let me type cast your LPO, 10+ years, recently put on first after way too many attempts, doesn't want to make chief E6 to retirement club member.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Null Integer posted:

gently caress that guy. Honestly, putting on rank fast is always a good sign. Even with certain communites that advance fast, 100%'s, or just good on your knees, you will be making more money soon, have more responsibility which gives you more chances to excel. Let me type cast your LPO, 10+ years, recently put on first after way too many attempts, doesn't want to make chief E6 to retirement club member.

you forgot became pregnant 1 month before failing her 3rd PRT,

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Arione posted:

you forgot became pregnant 1 month before failing her 3rd PRT,

Your LPO is an rear end in a top hat, and the WORST kind of rear end in a top hat.

I say this as an Active Duty woman with 2 kids, both born on shore duty. I never failed a PRT, never missed an underway due to kids. (well one, and that was last week. And I'm on shore duty.)

That said, I no longer preach the "have 'em on shore" message. gently caress the Navy planning my life for me.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

poopkitty posted:

Your LPO is an rear end in a top hat, and the WORST kind of rear end in a top hat.

I say this as an Active Duty woman with 2 kids, both born on shore duty. I never failed a PRT, never missed an underway due to kids. (well one, and that was last week. And I'm on shore duty.)

That said, I no longer preach the "have 'em on shore" message. gently caress the Navy planning my life for me.

Have em on the shore is still going strong, this command is like a damned puppy mill. Birth announcements almost ever other week.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Arione posted:

Have em on the shore is still going strong, this command is like a damned puppy mill. Birth announcements almost ever other week.

You sound like that bothers you, and I'm sad for you because it should not.

Sorry your LPO is an rear end in a top hat. Don't learn from her.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Arione posted:

That's a good thing. People want children, the responsible ones will do that on shore duty, although I agree with poopkitty, it's incredibly frustrating planning major life events around ship's movement.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

PneumonicBook posted:

the responsible ones will do that on shore duty

See, at this point in my career, I kind of disagree with this. I won't argue it because it's pointless, and honestly I don't really know how I would fix it. But I resent that my children are five years apart because of a career that will be over soon. My family is FAR more important to me and I set them aside for it and that's crap.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

poopkitty posted:

See, at this point in my career, I kind of disagree with this. I won't argue it because it's pointless, and honestly I don't really know how I would fix it. But I resent that my children are five years apart because of a career that will be over soon. My family is FAR more important to me and I set them aside for it and that's crap.

_ there are some who make it work and don't abuse the system, hat's off, but they are few and far between.

Arione fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Dec 14, 2014

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
nevermind.

poopkitty fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Dec 14, 2014

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Come on, can we please not become the care factory in this thread again.

buttplug posted:

What's the address shippie? I only know of the one in Columbia...

It literally opened up 2 weeks ago. It's in the same shopping block as the Wegman's, Target, and Safeway on route 3. Not even on google maps yet.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

poopkitty posted:

You sound like that bothers you, and I'm sad for you because it should not.

Sorry your LPO is an rear end in a top hat. Don't learn from her.

Too many people these days having kids to save their lovely marriages and screw up their alter less-than-stellar financial situations. And then, they'll use it as a trump card to get out of things...

poopkitty posted:

Family planning is your responsibility, not the military's. You consciously chose a profession that includes extended periods of time where you may be away from home/significant other/kids.

buttplug fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 14, 2014

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

All in all, should have imagined that the Navy would pick operations they trained you to do over the well-being of your family. And holy poo poo people are idiots if they think a baby is magically going to fix a marriage rather than be another set of stressors and responsibilities they wpuld argue over (not saying any of you did this, just saying).

Thats like one of the main things my patients complain about, that and when they cant go to the school they wanted to attend because they are constantly going on DETs and deployments.

There should be a GiP spreadsheet or something with the various ratings and MOS that you can grab with the personal experience of chances people got to go to school/time spent with operations over family. Maybe we could save some poor DEPper from picking something that would make them miserable or hate the Navy over.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Pandasmores posted:

There should be a GiP spreadsheet or something with the various ratings and MOS that you can grab with the personal experience of chances people got to go to school/time spent with operations over family. Maybe we could save some poor DEPper from picking something that would make them miserable or hate the Navy over.

lmbo

it's not the rates as much as the lpo & chief you get that will decide that poo poo

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

ded posted:

lmbo

it's not the rates as much as the lpo & chief you get that will decide that poo poo

:lol: imagine a rate my professor site but with Chiefs and COs .

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Pandasmores posted:

And holy poo poo people are idiots if they think a baby is magically going to fix a marriage rather than be another set of stressors and responsibilities they wpuld argue over (not saying any of you did this, just saying).

Oh no, I'm not saying that to be a smart-rear end or tongue-in-cheek. I have watched friends, coworkers, and dozens of acquaintances/seniors/subordinates do this in the military. I can literally think of about 5 couples off the top of my head to popped out a kid specifically to save their dysfunctional marriage. It is exceedingly common in and out of the military.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Seen it a lot too

Plus having a kid is guaranteed no deployment, no heavy lifting, nothing labor intensive, that 40 days of baby leave, and you pretty much don't even go to work or anything besides medical appointments the last 2-3 months.

We'd get a flood of those patients every morning. Whether they were pregnant or had a newborn/kid that had the sniffles, rash, etc and can't go to daycare and Welp someone has to stay home with it!

"So...I get an SIQ chit because my kid is sick right?"

I know the 1-2 females in this sub are going to talk about how they worked and lifted poo poo the whole 9 months of their pregnancy and never missed work

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
We were 3 for 3 on Army female E3/E4s in my last duty station just within my office getting pregnant *literally* within 6 months of showing up in country. They spent the majority of their 1-2 year tour pregnant, on LIMDU/profile, or on convalescent leave and contributed almost nothing to the mission whatsoever. They were relegated to doing secretarial-type work outside their MOS and their chain of command spent a good chunk of their time going through the paperwork nut-roll of getting them housing, BAH, etc.

At some point, you have to ask a difficult question: what obligation does the military have to coddle and take care of you when you get pregnant and cannot do you job or be value-added in any meaningful way? How is it fair to the rest of your shipmates/battle buddies/whatever when you show up, but don't contribute because you spent you entire tour pregnant.

And the kicker is it's not like these girls were second-term or seasoned soldiers, they were first-term, first duty station. One was 19, one was 21-22, and the other way like 28 (joined late). 2 of them were unmarried, the third only got married after she got pregnant.

edit: On a personal level I have absolutely no issues with women in any capacity anywhere in the military, and again, on a personal level I don't care when/why they get pregnant. It's not my business, but I'm also not a CO. If I put my CO-hat on (lol) or approach this from a purely business/mission-oriented perspective, then it's quite infuriating to think about.

I work with several people who have spent the majority of their time in the military specifically being a drain on the system, requiring far more "input" than the "output" they yield. I work in the same cubicle as a guy who epitomizes this. He literally takes multiple days off per week for his medical woes, wife's medical woes, laser surgery, random leave, random appointments on the other side of the state, etc. He took the entire day off Friday because he was "out with the chaplain". Really motherfucker? Really? I've seldom seen him to a shred of actual work. For every poo poo-hot hard-worker I see at this duty station, I see 3-4 lazy, whiny, entitled, coddled wastes of a uniform who have never deployed, contributed, and can barely be bothered to show up on time (and even that's a iffy).

Look at me, now I sound like Panda. Got me drinking that Sunday hatorade!

buttplug fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 14, 2014

bengy81
May 8, 2010

buttplug posted:

We were 3 for 3 on Army female E3/E4s in my last duty station just within my office getting pregnant *literally* within 6 months of showing up in country. They spent the majority of their 1-2 year tour pregnant, on LIMDU/profile, or on convalescent leave and contributed almost nothing to the mission whatsoever. They were relegated to doing secretarial-type work outside their MOS and their chain of command spent a good chunk of their time going through the paperwork nut-roll of getting them housing, BAH, etc.

At some point, you have to ask a difficult question: what obligation does the military have to coddle and take care of you when you get pregnant and cannot do you job or be value-added in any meaningful way? How is it fair to the rest of your shipmates/battle buddies/whatever when you show up, but don't contribute because you spent you entire tour pregnant.

And the kicker is it's not like these girls were second-term or seasoned soldiers, they were first-term, first duty station. One was 19, one was 21-22, and the other way like 28 (joined late). 2 of them were unmarried, the third only got married after she got pregnant.

That obligation ends as soon they stop babying all the idiots/malingerers hanging out at the island of broken toys for months and years at a time, or when commands stop capping sailors so they don't get the boot because they have a million loving kids.

The military is just a big welfare system for people that can function in the real world.

It sucks when a chick gets knocked up to get out of a deployment, but it is also just as shity when a dude fakes an injury or throws himself downstairs to get out of one too. It sucks that the good female sailors get judged harshly for trying to properly plan a family, and I think part of the problem could be relieved if shops were manned at rates higher than they currently are.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

^ yeah pretty much

Sorry guys gotta drive my wife to her appointment for fibromyalgia to get her narcs refilled. Yeah we only have one car because I have a 2014 V6 mustang fully loaded and we can't afford two! yeah the appointment is out in town and yeah it's probably going to take all day sorry have fun at work!

Skating is one thing but between wife, kids, malingering, housing bs, wife's medical issues, etc, some people can straight up miss a week of work

Those are somehow always the ones going to every command function/event, getting bruised knees, and doing bake sales

The senior enlisted are sympathetic because they all have 4 kids and a bitchy fat wife with medical issues. Meanwhile the e-3/e-4 scrubs have to pick up the work to go home to a shared barracks room and are getting yelled at because they have twice the work and can't keep up and are always in sight of the higher ups and they gotta bitch at someone then they miss out on all that extra pay while being treated like a plebeian because they decided to not get married or have kids

Then you ask to run a personal errand or even going to the PX and Jesus Christ it's like you're asking for some huge personal favor

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 14, 2014

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
I think I'm the only enlisted girl here. The other is a noble. And hell no I didn't lift poo poo. I was an instructor. And my kids are too old for the new rules, I had one of them when the Navy still approved outs for kids.

I'm not going to care here because gently caress that. Navy wives suck but at least I don't have to be married to one, nor do I have a NWU diaper bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Christoff posted:

^ yeah pretty much

Sorry guys gotta drive my wife to her appointment for fibromyalgia to get her narcs refilled. Yeah we only have one car because I have a 2014 V6 mustang fully loaded and we can't afford two! yeah the appointment is out in town and yeah it's probably going to take all day sorry have fun at work!

Skating is one thing but between wife, kids, malingering, housing bs, wife's medical issues, etc, some people can straight up miss a week of work

Those are somehow always the ones going to every command function/event, getting bruised knees, and doing bake sales

The senior enlisted are sympathetic because they all have 4 kids and a bitchy fat wife with medical issues. Meanwhile the e-3/e-4 scrubs have to pick up the work to go home to a shared barracks room and are getting yelled at because they have twice the work and can't keep up and are always in sight of the higher ups and they gotta bitch at someone then they miss out on all that extra pay while being treated like a plebeian because they decided to not get married or have kids

Then you ask to run a personal errand or even going to the PX and Jesus Christ it's like you're asking for some huge personal favor

As a single noble I have very little sympathy for people pulling the "mahh kids" card. Not because I'm an O, but because I'm single and have been first-hand hosed-over a couple of times literally by virtue of being single, just so married person X could skip watch/get out of their duty section because Timmy scraped his knee or had some school activity where he demonstrates his lackluster talents and future mediocrity for mommy and daddy.

• Locked thread