Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Mildly disappointed Isaac's character isn't a Darklighter, Antilles, or Porkins. Then again, people like me are why the EU had to be obliterated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm sure they'll pop up naturally with the extras we'll see with this. The cycle will begin again, and before we know it we'll have a new generation of dudes connected to the big gently caress you event to the baddies in this one.

Somebody will be related to one of the dudes who smuggled the plans for the death star too.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Mildly disappointed Isaac's character isn't a Darklighter, Antilles, or Porkins. Then again, people like me are why the EU had to be obliterated.

Admitting you have a problem is the first step towards recovery :gbsmith:

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
One of the first mentions of Star Wars in the press from 1976

Bonus:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

My dad was a longtime subscriber to Analog magazine, and these sorts of ads ran in the back pages of every single issue. It's pretty neat to see them again. What did these scans come out of?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

My dad was a longtime subscriber to Analog magazine, and these sorts of ads ran in the back pages of every single issue. It's pretty neat to see them again. What did these scans come out of?

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2013/06/the_eleven_coolest_things_in_starlog_002_gene_rodd.php?page=2

Not related to Star Wars in any shape or form but as someone who goes to Gatlinburg fairly often I had to Google that "World of the Unexplained" place and it looks like it was hilariously kitschy.

:nws: for witch breasts http://i.imgur.com/2BMbUjS.jpg :nws:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Ah, Starlog. Same sort of ads for the same sort of readers.

Nckdictator posted:

Not related to Star Wars in any shape or form but as someone who goes to Gatlinburg fairly often I had to Google that "World of the Unexplained" place and it looks like it was hilariously kitschy.

I searched Google Maps for the address, out of the same curiosity. It's a Subway now.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Mark Hamil before the car wreck.

Something's off with that "W"

And from the issue right after the movie actually comes out we get this hilarious-in-retrospect paragraph.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Nckdictator posted:

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2013/06/the_eleven_coolest_things_in_starlog_002_gene_rodd.php?page=2

Damnit I'm like 30 minutes from Gatlinburg. I want to wish i could've of went now.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Somebody will be related to one of the dudes who smuggled the plans for the death star too.

According to the latest rumors, the first non-episode spinoff movie is going to be about the theft of the Death Star Plans.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So I've been reading through the Zahn novels again, and I'm about halfway through Specter of the Past...and all the riots on Bothawui and demonstrations elsewhere feel a whole lot more real now given all the high profile civil unrest going on in the real world.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

jivjov posted:

So I've been reading through the Zahn novels again, and I'm about halfway through Specter of the Past...and all the riots on Bothawui and demonstrations elsewhere feel a whole lot more real now given all the high profile civil unrest going on in the real world.

Hand of Thrawn always had a Yugoslav war feel to me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In retrospect, I think there's a sort of late-nineties "end of history" sensibility to the Hand of Thrawn books. Democracy won! Peace with the Empire! The resurgence of the Jedi Order! The only way is up! The worst the New Republic has to worry about are regional skirmishes and local unrest. The tail end of the Bantam era EU is essentially the Clinton years of the EU.

So, in this analogy, the NJO correlates to the War on Terror, LOTF is the financial crisis, and FOTJ is the Obama administration. :v:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Metal Loaf posted:

In retrospect, I think there's a sort of late-nineties "end of history" sensibility to the Hand of Thrawn books. Democracy won! Peace with the Empire! The resurgence of the Jedi Order! The only way is up! The worst the New Republic has to worry about are regional skirmishes and local unrest. The tail end of the Bantam era EU is essentially the Clinton years of the EU.

So, in this analogy, the NJO correlates to the War on Terror, LOTF is the financial crisis, and FOTJ is the Obama administration. :v:

Thanks Jacen!

Hand of Thrawn did have a slightly more cynical side to it, where the evil empire is ground into the dirt and the new guys in charge are all coming to the realization that running a government is *hard*.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The largely black-and-white world of Star Wars doesn't necessarily lend itself well to the nitty-gritty of democratic politics.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, especially in the EU where the civilian politicians are always the corrupt, manipulative would-be dictators and the soldiers are always the brave, honorable, always-right, virtuous, pro-democracy people.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Chairman Capone posted:

Yeah, especially in the EU where the civilian politicians are always the corrupt, manipulative would-be dictators and the soldiers are always the brave, honorable, always-right, virtuous, pro-democracy people.

The Star Wars EU was written by Tom Clancy?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Let me know when they write the Kyle Katarn novel where he murders the space environmentalists

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Chairman Capone posted:

Or they're naive peaceniks who can't make the HARD DECISIONS - like how Leia spends about half the Black Fleet Crisis playing the role of Neville Chamberlain, or how about half the writers from the New Jedi Order onwards seemed to sincerely believe that the Rebellion and New Republic did nothing but ruin Palpatine's brilliant multi-layered plot to defeat the latest baddies decades in advance through a cunning policy of random brutality and mad cackling.

I mean, yeah, it's called "Star Wars", but that doesn't mean it should literally be the worst stereotypes of military sci-fi...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Angry Salami posted:

Or they're naive peaceniks who can't make the HARD DECISIONS - like how Leia spends about half the Black Fleet Crisis playing the role of Neville Chamberlain, or how about half the writers from the New Jedi Order onwards seemed to sincerely believe that the Rebellion and New Republic did nothing but ruin Palpatine's brilliant multi-layered plot to defeat the latest baddies decades in advance through a cunning policy of random brutality and mad cackling.

Easily the worst thing the EU had ever done.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

And one of many reasons I don't actually mind the new movies putting a couple rounds into the back of the EU's head. By making it all "Legends" we can keep the rare good works and ignore the rest.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Metal Loaf posted:

It did give us the great line from Luke "You know, the Emperor was bad, but if we had 2-3 Death Stars this war would be over already. Shame about that"

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

pentyne posted:

It did give us the great line from Luke "You know, the Emperor was bad, but if we had 2-3 Death Stars this war would be over already. Shame about that"
Ahem.

Han Solo posted:

What the Empire would have done was build a super-colossal Yuuzhan Vong–killing battle machine. They would have called it the Nova Colossus or the Galaxy Destructor or the Nostril of Palpatine or something equally grandiose. They would have spent billions of credits, employed thousands of contractors and subcontractors, and equipped it with the latest in death-dealing technology. And you know what would have happened? It wouldn't have worked. They'd forget to bolt down a metal plate over an access hatch leading to the main reactors, or some other mistake, and a hotshot enemy pilot would drop a bomb down there and blow the whole thing up. Now that's what the Empire would have done.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

nazi_engineering.txt

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
The irony being that the GA ends up creating a virus way worse than the Death Star.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Metal Loaf posted:

I thought the latest on the whole "Palpatine was only a totalitarian to unite and build up the military of the galaxy for the coming of the Yuuzhan Vong" was explained in the latest EU as just the propaganda claims of revisionist Imperial Remnant historians.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

William Bear posted:

I thought the latest on the whole "Palpatine was only a totalitarian to unite and build up the military of the galaxy for the coming of the Yuuzhan Vong" was explained in the latest EU as just the propaganda claims of revisionist Imperial Remnant historians.
Yeah, even if part of why he was building Deaths Star was to ward off intergalactic douchebags, it was presumably because this was his turf, not out of some solemn sense of duty to the galaxy at large.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
The real problem with the "take the EU out back and shoot it" narrative is that by and large the dudes responsible for making the EU an irredeemable trash pile are still in charge and the perverse incentives for ruining it are still in place while most of the sensible one have either died or been muscled out.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

ruby idiot railed posted:

The real problem with the "take the EU out back and shoot it" narrative is that by and large the dudes responsible for making the EU an irredeemable trash pile are still in charge and the perverse incentives for ruining it are still in place while most of the sensible one have either died or been muscled out.

Yeah, I mean, all the Lucasbooks/Del Rey editorial staff are still in the exact same positions, some of them are now even higher in the story group (whatever it is that that actually does) and so far it's all been authors who have worked with the old EU for years. Including Christie Golden who's pretty close to the bottom of the rung. Meanwhile Marvel seems like it's spending most of its focus on cover gimmicks and tired old Movie Characters do Forgettable Stuff In Between ANH and ESB plots that will reply heavily on movie references.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Holy poo poo, I've never seen this before. I can't stop laughing.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The best bit is the last few sentences.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Metal Loaf posted:

That's true for all of it. It always borrowed real heavily in the current cultural enemy. The storm troopers and empire were originally heavy on nazi imagery. The WEG stuff and Imperial Sourcebook from the late 80s early 90s is heavy on the Empire being communist Russia. Del Ray books are full of instances where the issue is some minor warlord killing tons of people, and for reasons of political realities and plot the Republic star fleet can't just come in and wipe the floor with it. The Vong was full of explicit rifting on "if only the empire was still around and/or the republic would put aside its soft sensibilities and commit to the fight we would win" which was the Bush years in a nut shell (see also, a lot of stupid lovely memes this past week after the torture report came out)

It's probably a bit unfair to call out the prequel stuff for being authoritarian since it was trying to sell (literally) heroes that we know are genocidal despots, but still, plenty of authors went a bit above and beyond in their cheerleading.

LOTF was "retell the prequels for mad cash" I wouldn't give it any more credit than that, but I also couldn't make it past the second book before washing my hands of it.

StashAugustine posted:

Thanks Jacen!

Hand of Thrawn did have a slightly more cynical side to it, where the evil empire is ground into the dirt and the new guys in charge are all coming to the realization that running a government is *hard*.

I always liked that Zahn got, and as a core idea worked with, that redemptive violence is poo poo that doesn't work. Killing Palpatine wasn't enough, he and Vader weren't the only bad guys. There were still all the other assholes across the galaxy who heard Palpatine talk about building an Empire who said "good idea" and did the day to day work of carrying it out. Thrawn is the big one obviously, that there were others who could lead the massive imperial war machine, but then in Hand of Thrawn you have the other side to that, all the officials who ran and administer the Empire. You change out who is at Coruscant but have trillions of people on all the other worlds coming in to work the next day with just a change of flag, and nothing will change. The people who committed the atrocities for the Empire were still in the governments. They have never been called to account, trying to will be a political crisis that shatters everything, and on a lot of planets if given a choice that same leadership will readily rejoin the Empire and go back to their old ways.

With those books in the end it isn't resolved by the big space battle or the Jedi killing someone, it's resolved by two old men who have buried so many young men they just want to talk, have trials for the guilty, and practice war no more.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 15, 2014

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

A) This is amazing.

B) Where did all these "twice as big as the Executor" ships come from?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Patrick Spens posted:

A) This is amazing.

Thankfully the "Ultra-Class" is just some fan's design

The Eclipse and Sovereign came from the stupid "Palpatine's resercution" comics , no idea where the others are from.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

A couple of the big ones on the right are from the Dark Empire Sourcebook, but other than Victory/Imperator/Executor, the rest are all fan-made, I think.

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

Patrick Spens posted:

A) This is amazing.

The Eclipse [17.5km] was from Dark Empire and was the clone-resurrected Palpatine's flagship with a stupid mini-Death Star Laser. The Sovereign [15km] is from the West End Games Dark Empire sourcebook. They aren't really twice the length the Executor, but in the 90's all the tech books listed the Executor as 8km instead of 17.6km until that Curtis Saxon guy posted screenshots on hi site with like every shot of ESB and RotJ showing that the Executor is obviously way bigger than 8km.

Some of the others were canonized in the Essential Guide to Warfare, at least until the new movie comes out.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
To be fair to Dark Empire, the Eclipse isn't ever described as having a Death Star gun and never uses it in the comic itself. And the panels that show it alongside regular Star Destroyers make it pretty clear the artist intended it'd be 'only' the length of the Executor, just a lot taller. It was really just the West End Games sourcebooks that made it into a super-duper-dreadnought with ultrapowered guns and then decided the Empire obviously had a whole bunch of other ships like that that, for some reason, were never actually deployed anywhere...

Much as I hate to praise the Dark Empire comics, the Eclipse was just supposed to be the reborn Emperor's flagship, not a superweapon in its own right. And the deep profile that makes it look like a modern battleship is a pretty cool design - I always felt the Executor wasn't quite as intimidating on screen as it should be, and a lot of that is how 'flat' it looks compared to its length.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
The eclipse is only cool when it shows up in Forces of Corruption. And that's because you get to use it to blow away a super star destroyer and a ton of other ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Question: Here's the cover art for Star Wars Tales #17. We have Darth Vader, Darth Maul, Palpatine, Dooku, Asajj Ventress (then a new character for Genndy Tartakovsky's Clone Wars series), Mother Talzin (around six or seven years before hier first appearance in the CGI Clone Wars series; I think at this point she was just unused Darth Maul concept art) and this other guy in the front. Does anyone know who the guy in front is, if anyone?