Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

NESguerilla posted:

So is Nick Offerman just Ron Swanson now? Is he pulling a Jeff Bridges in the Big Lebowski where he just never leaves the character for the rest of his life?

The dude has his own wood shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
When Nick Offerman and his wife, Megan Mullaly (Tammy 2) make love in the grest outdoors, coyote come far and wide to observe in silent approval.

Found footage chat: I really liked The Conspiracy. It's one of the best found footage movies I've seen in years and that's all I'll say about it as not to reveal anything (trust me, go in blind). Also, Grave Encounters 2 really surprised me, as I thought the first was merely OK but 2 is fuckin' wicked. I loved the scene where Shaun / Lance, the host from GE1, is being followed by the GhostCam™ and starts crazily repeating the introduction to his show before reverting to TV-host mode and delivering his opening lines as if he'd never gotten stuck in the hospital. drat fine movie.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~
It's probably not new but my friend just showed me Moebius and it's a hell of a movie. hosed up Asian drama with no dialogue whatsoever for the entire movie. If you liked Antichrist and/or Enter the Void I'd definitely recommend it. If you don't like weird super dark uncomfortable movies don't watch it. Despite not one character ever saying a word it was surprisingly really engaging.

salty fries make me cry fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Dec 14, 2014

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
There's nothing like getting drunk and watching Labryinth. drat how did that movie ever get made? We are all the better for Jim Henson's loss

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

There's nothing like getting drunk and watching Labryinth. drat how did that movie ever get made? We are all the better for Jim Henson's loss

You shut your whore mouth!

He's got a little of the George Lucas Profundity Disease (look up his relationship with Saturday Night Live), but even when they're crazy his movies are great. Why would you complain about Labyrinth?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

You shut your whore mouth!

He's got a little of the George Lucas Profundity Disease (look up his relationship with Saturday Night Live), but even when they're crazy his movies are great. Why would you complain about Labyrinth?

(Labryinth did not make money in theaters)

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

We are all the better for Jim Henson's loss

Too soon.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

That's the point. Scorsese loving hates Belfort as well as the system that let him come out not so bad.

Yep, Scorsese hates him so much he let him have a cameo in the film. DiCaprio hates him even more, judging by the ad he filmed for Belfort's public speaking gig.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Okay I clearly worded that wrong. I mean his financial loss, not his physical one

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

JohnSherman posted:

Yep, Scorsese hates him so much he let him have a cameo in the film. DiCaprio hates him even more, judging by the ad he filmed for Belfort's public speaking gig.

I knew about the cameo. I didn't know about the DiCaprio thing. I wonder if those are some sort of contractual obligations for getting the rights to the book. The cameo could at least be read as "look at this shameless gently caress, appearing in a movie that portrays him as a complete loving piece of poo poo."

I mean, the movie is pretty unambiguously "gently caress Belfort and gently caress you for looking up to people like him"

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Turfahurf posted:

It's probably not new but my friend just showed me Moebius and it's a hell of a movie. hosed up Asian drama with no dialogue whatsoever for the entire movie. If you liked Antichrist and/or Enter the Void I'd definitely recommend it. If you don't like weird super dark uncomfortable movies don't watch it. Despite not one character ever saying a word it was surprisingly really engaging.

I loathed this movie. Seemed like it was trying way too hard to go for shock value at the expense of anything else. Anyways if you liked it you should try Pieta by the same director, it's nearly as bleak and violently oedipal.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

Okay I clearly worded that wrong. I mean his financial loss, not his physical one

I agree with you now.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

Now I'm just confused.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I knew about the cameo. I didn't know about the DiCaprio thing. I wonder if those are some sort of contractual obligations for getting the rights to the book. The cameo could at least be read as "look at this shameless gently caress, appearing in a movie that portrays him as a complete loving piece of poo poo."

I mean, the movie is pretty unambiguously "gently caress Belfort and gently caress you for looking up to people like him"

And really at the end of the film he's sort of a soulless husk anyway (arguably what he was for the whole movie, but without the varnish).

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

dik-dik posted:

Now I'm just confused.

It was not a money maker for its time and put him a low point before his death but thankfully it exists to be appreciated today

Also you have a homestuck av and that confused me. Pull your drat pants up drat punk

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
Idk I know a scary amount of people who hold him in regard as a hero, quote his speeches in daily life, throw wolf of wall street themed parties, etc.

I think the movie did a better job glorifying the lifestyle to the masses than condemning it

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

mr. stefan posted:

Getting angry that Belfort essentially got away Scot free was kind of the point. Remember, Belfort is a real person and didn't suffer very much at all, and he's just one of many white collar psychopaths in the world.

Oh I know, I meant that in a more "gently caress this gay earth" sense than a "gently caress this movie" sense. It's actually pretty unsettling that most of his rhetoric ("If you think I'm materialistic go work at McDonald's you piece of poo poo!" "Being rich makes you a better person") is basically the message of the Republican Party, just slightly more overt.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

speshl guy posted:

Idk I know a scary amount of people who hold him in regard as a hero, quote his speeches in daily life, throw wolf of wall street themed parties, etc.

I think the movie did a better job glorifying the lifestyle to the masses than condemning it

People would go up to Michael Douglas and tell him Gordon Gecko was the reason they got into the stock market. Some people will just see what they want to see.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Any good recent light hearted, biopic, etc. documentaries on Netflix? I watched one on Tomi Ungerer, Far Out Isn't Far Enough, and it was great. Curious if there's other good stuff made in the last year or two that's worth queuing up to watch over the holidays.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I watched alan patridge a couple days ago. It was pretty great. I'd recommend it

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
Finally saw the original Total Recall. A very fun movie. It seems to be peak Veherhoven, as it's the violence of Robocop, the "satire" of Starship Troopers, the "women are backstabbing whores" of Basic Instinct, and it has a strip club so let's say Showgirls as well.

Curious how it would've turned out with a lead who wasn't so stiff but by the end Arnold is kind of a perfect match for the movies weirdness.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

On that note, I'm really sick of the sitcom formula where everyone has to learn a lesson at the end of each episode. Someone is hurt or upset, and another character has to have a heart to heart with them. It's so overwrought.

Just to play devils advocate I think the theme works nicely for sappy but funny stuff like Modern Family.

speshl guy posted:

I kind of got that vibe too. I know that wasn't the point but at the end the dude acted like trash the whole time, did whatever he wanted and showed if you have enough money you'll come out fine.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

I knew about Offerman because of his woodworking youtube videos first. Also if I ever meet him in real life, I'm just going to pretend that's the only way that I know him.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Yeah I walked out of that movie both wishing I could be Jordan Belfort and hating myself for it.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
The new Bill Burr stand-up special, I'm Sorry You Feel That Way is fuckin' hilarious. Jump on that poo poo quicktimes.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Thinking that the movie glorifies Belfort in a positive way honestly says more about you than the movie.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Nroo posted:

Thinking that the movie glorifies Belfort in a positive way honestly says more about you than the movie.

No it really doesn't. I come down on Scorcese condemning Belfort in the end but he clearly treads the line (likely intentionally) and all it says about the viewer is that they don't give Scorsese the benefit of the doubt, maybe because they're not that familiar with his work or maybe because they think treading the line like that is still kinda irresponsible.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I watched a piece of poo poo called Don't Blink earlier. It should actually be called Don't Watch, alternatively This Is Garbage.

It did lead to a recommend from Netflix for something called Mockingbird, a different-ish take on found footage about a man, woman, and couple each given a camera for free, and told to keep filming, or else. Not bad for a random Netflix recommendation, which makes a change.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Eggnogium posted:

No it really doesn't. I come down on Scorcese condemning Belfort in the end but he clearly treads the line (likely intentionally) and all it says about the viewer is that they don't give Scorsese the benefit of the doubt, maybe because they're not that familiar with his work or maybe because they think treading the line like that is still kinda irresponsible.

I don't actually see where you're disagreeing.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

mod sassinator posted:

Any good recent light hearted, biopic, etc. documentaries on Netflix? I watched one on Tomi Ungerer, Far Out Isn't Far Enough, and it was great. Curious if there's other good stuff made in the last year or two that's worth queuing up to watch over the holidays.

Try Jiro dreams of Sushi, Cutie & the Boxer, or Burt's Buzz.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I don't actually see where you're disagreeing.

Yeah I may have read more facetiousness into that post then it deserved. I only meant that you can be aware that Scorcese is not purely celebrating the antics and greed and still be uncomfortable about the degree to which he is.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

dik-dik posted:

Yeah I walked out of that movie both wishing I could be Jordan Belfort and hating myself for it.

I get wanting to do drugs and have sex with beautiful woman constantly, but the whole "being openly hostile to my family, co-workers and friends constantly" doesn't sound terribly appealing?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Eggnogium posted:

Yeah I may have read more facetiousness into that post then it deserved. I only meant that you can be aware that Scorcese is not purely celebrating the antics and greed and still be uncomfortable about the degree to which he is.

Oh, absolutely.

Wolfsheim posted:

I get wanting to do drugs and have sex with beautiful woman constantly, but the whole "being openly hostile to my family, co-workers and friends constantly" doesn't sound terribly appealing?

I think that'd be a bonus for a lot of people actually.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Let The Fire Burn is a great documentary.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

Don't get me wrong, I don't seriously want to be Jordan Belfort, or else I'd currently be working on Wall Street instead of doing what I am doing. I'm just saying that, to me, at least while watching it, the net effect was glamorization, not condemnation.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Eggnogium posted:

That kind of response to the film is perfectly reasonable, my original post was more about how responding to it as a glorification of that lifestyle involves some degree of overlooking all of the big arrows pointing to how heinous everyone involved is. Worrying about people finding it an attractive lifestyle is a bigger condemnation of our society's values than a film showing the endpoint of those values. I found the constant loving and drugs repulsive and empty, if someone watches the film and thinks that poo poo is cool I don't think Scorsese is what finally convinced them of that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mash posted:

Found footage chat: I really liked The Conspiracy. It's one of the best found footage movies I've seen in years and that's all I'll say about it as not to reveal anything (trust me, go in blind). Also, Grave Encounters 2 really surprised me, as I thought the first was merely OK but 2 is fuckin' wicked. I loved the scene where Shaun / Lance, the host from GE1, is being followed by the GhostCam™ and starts crazily repeating the introduction to his show before reverting to TV-host mode and delivering his opening lines as if he'd never gotten stuck in the hospital. drat fine movie.

The Conspiracy is absolute dogshit.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

dik-dik posted:

Don't get me wrong, I don't seriously want to be Jordan Belfort, or else I'd currently be working on Wall Street instead of doing what I am doing. I'm just saying that, to me, at least while watching it, the net effect was glamorization, not condemnation.

I think even in the arenas of sex and drugs, there's a sense of vomitous excess. They're not just having sex with beautiful women, but after a while deliberately banging the cheapest and scuzziest streetwalkers they can find. Near the end Jordan's paying a woman to shove things up his rear end and treat him like dirt because that's the only way he can get off. And similarly the drugs, it's not enough to get high, he has to completely lose all motor control.

I was honestly left thinking "Being rich would be great but I don't think I want to be that rich." It's actually a great picture of the obscene wealth imbalance in this country, or at least one side of it- these are the 1% and they're loving insane.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think even in the arenas of sex and drugs, there's a sense of vomitous excess. They're not just having sex with beautiful women, but after a while deliberately banging the cheapest and scuzziest streetwalkers they can find. Near the end Jordan's paying a woman to shove things up his rear end and treat him like dirt because that's the only way he can get off. And similarly the drugs, it's not enough to get high, he has to completely lose all motor control.

I was honestly left thinking "Being rich would be great but I don't think I want to be that rich." It's actually a great picture of the obscene wealth imbalance in this country, or at least one side of it- these are the 1% and they're loving insane.

I get what you're saying, and on an intellectual level I completely agree but I'd be lying if I didn't leave the theater thinking "goddamn I would love to be obscenely wealthy." And honestly, given the option now, I would still take it. Maybe I'm just a lovely person, though :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

dik-dik posted:

I get what you're saying, and on an intellectual level I completely agree but I'd be lying if I didn't leave the theater thinking "goddamn I would love to be obscenely wealthy." And honestly, given the option now, I would still take it. Maybe I'm just a lovely person, though :shrug:

I think it says a lot more about you and how much you've been brain washed, sorry. The movie really doesn't glamorize Belfort.

• Locked thread