Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Elotana posted:

I have a biglaw interview :ohdear:

Any tips to not gently caress up as a lateral candidate

How many figures is your book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macnigore
Aug 9, 2008
Why are there so few of you in this thread in house counsel? Is this not a possible exit opportunity for a lawyer in the US?

Its very common here in France. Does not pay as much as lawfirm but much more livable in the long run (you can take your vacation, 40/50 hours weeks, no billables, etc).

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Macnigore posted:

Why are there so few of you in this thread in house counsel? Is this not a possible exit opportunity for a lawyer in the US?

Its very common here in France. Does not pay as much as lawfirm but much more livable in the long run (you can take your vacation, 40/50 hours weeks, no billables, etc).

No, there's quite a few of those as well (just maybe not in this thread...maybe Goons just love patent and litigation?) A lot of the junior associates from my old firm made nice nice with some of our clients and then bailed to go be their general counsel. Already familiar with the client, cost the client less, associate got paid more. Everybody wins!

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Macnigore posted:

A lot of people are in house counsel, but they tend to be a bit quieter about their work since it's less ridiculous.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Macnigore posted:

Getting an in-house job in the US usually requires going through big-law, or at least medium-law, and having enough client contact to make the move. Extremely rare to jump in-house before getting a few years of experience in a firm. So while we may get some beautiful in-house butterflies in a few years, most have just recently pupated.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
From what I can see lately, in-house is getting bludgeoned about as badly as private practice. I mean, they might work a bit less and have slightly better lives, but that seem to mean only working 58 hour weeks instead of 60 hour weeks on average.

Or at least the ones I talk to seem pretty freaking miserable.

On top of that, you are "captive" in-house in a way that you are not in private practice. Think being an associate having to cowtow and constantly respond to partner demands sucks? At least that goes away to some degree as you get older. A lot of the in-house guys I work with, even the older ones, basically just seem to live days of being yelled at by sales reps, etc. for not having the contract done in 30 minutes, etc.

Seriously, if I were in-house, I think I would honestly slit the throats of about 95% of the sales reps in my company. I loving hate sales reps, and as outside counsel, I have to deal with them about 5% as much as in-house people do.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

How much of the extremely dire OP applies to people who actually want to be public defenders as a first choice? And if I already know I want to do public interest, should I still aim for T14 or would I be better served by going to a school that emphasizes public law?

Also, is there a specific narrative older candidates should try to avoid when applying? I've basically spent the last five years after college bumming around and getting into trouble: should I go for a Paul on the road to Damascus story, or just try to shore up my CV and make it look as respectable as possible?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Smerdyakov posted:

How much of the extremely dire OP applies to people who actually want to be public defenders as a first choice? And if I already know I want to do public interest, should I still aim for T14 or would I be better served by going to a school that emphasizes public law?

What do you think PD do?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

There are tons of idealistic types who want to be public defenders so the competition for those spots is incredibly fierce.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
The panhandling skills that you learned as a bum would likely serve you well if the PD stuff doesn't work out.

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

Public interest jobs are just as competitive as other jobs, in their own way. There are tons of applicants for every PD spot, especially if you want to live in a city instead of rural Alaska or some poo poo. Unless it's CUNY, no lower ranked school has a reputation for public interest law that even slightly weighs against its low ranking.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Mind you, not all PD jobs are formal employees of the state or county; in many places experienced attorneys get put on a list and have cases handed to them by the court. Of course, getting to be an "experienced attorney" is an issue, but probably in some places (Texas, Louisiana) the quality is notoriously low, so it shouldn't be to hard to show minimum competence.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Roger_Mudd posted:

What do you think PD do?

Based on having hung out with a few friends that are public defenders (in NY and CO, if those are representative) and asking them about their work, gone to court and watched them work through their docket, talking to an uncle that was a PD back in the day and went private 25 years ago, and done mock trial as an undergraduate, I I feel like I have an ok grasp on what the workflow involves. That said, some cities/states seem to actually care about providing them with resources, and some places seem to really go out of their way to make sure anyone who can't afford representation gets hosed.

And I was actually specifically thinking CUNY, though I know a few people that got really high scores and perfect GPAs went there and still got no scholarships/6 figures of debt.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

If you want to be a PD, either go to a T14 school and pray that PSLF actually gets funded, or go to a school that gives you a full ride in the area you want to work in and intern for the PDs there every summer. I would recommend the latter option. PDs care a lot more about your dedication that your education, and if you've worked there before you apply you get a good headstart. And if you went to a super cheap school you aren't chained to it.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Smerdyakov posted:

some places seem to really go out of their way to make sure anyone who can't afford representation gets hosed.

Curb that kind of talk, for starters. In my experience, the good PD offices don't want true believers, they want lawyers. Lawyers who are aggressive and will go to the mat for the client, sure, but someone who goes in with the attitude that "the man" is out to get them generally isn't as effective as someone who just works the case, especially since "the man" tends to have more power, ability to approve pleas etc etc, so they want someone who can aggressively fight at trial, but not be a complete anti-social sperglord in pre-trials. Given that most of your clients will be guilty, and most will have a lot of evidence to prove it, and most will have pesky things like "prior records" that make them not so sympathetic, a plea deal is often in their best interests, and the ones who tend to get the best deals are the ones who are able to treat it as a job, not a cause. One of the private attorneys here, who has more ineffective assistance claims and substantiated grievances than most, gets amazing deals for his clients because he's just so goddamn reasonable and likeable. In that vein, also, yes, definitely intern with a PD office, to get your name and face out there, but also do "other things" as well. This goes for both PD and Prosecutor, but at least here, the person who goes into the interview with the "This is all I've ever wanted to be" posture usually gets passed over from someone a little more well-rounded. No one wants a brand new lawyer who thinks their life is going to be an episode of Law and Order or the Practice. You may want to consider doing a year or two in another job before applying to the PD to show you're competent. Also, remember...lovely economy. Governemnt jobs are steady pay and good bennnies. You are not just competing with people who want to be PDs...you are competing with people who want to eat.

Also, yeah, most states have "special public defenders" who are private contractors who take cases when the PD office is either too swamped, or conflicted out. Get on that list.

(Of course, our state hires PDs via an independent commission (and prosecutors too) so we are a little weird in that respect)

Oh, and don't ever say that doing undergraduate moot court has prepared you for criminal law. It's like going pro se and telling the judge you know what you're doing because you watch Judge Judy.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Smerdyakov posted:

Based on having hung out with a few friends that are public defenders (in NY and CO, if those are representative) and asking them about their work, gone to court and watched them work through their docket, talking to an uncle that was a PD back in the day and went private 25 years ago, and done mock trial as an undergraduate, I I feel like I have an ok grasp on what the workflow involves. That said, some cities/states seem to actually care about providing them with resources, and some places seem to really go out of their way to make sure anyone who can't afford representation gets hosed.

And I was actually specifically thinking CUNY, though I know a few people that got really high scores and perfect GPAs went there and still got no scholarships/6 figures of debt.

What are your stats?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

ActusRhesus posted:

Curb that kind of talk, for starters. In my experience, the good PD offices don't want true believers, they want lawyers. Lawyers who are aggressive and will go to the mat for the client, sure, but someone who goes in with the attitude that "the man" is out to get them generally isn't as effective as someone who just works the case, especially since "the man" tends to have more power, ability to approve pleas etc etc, so they want someone who can aggressively fight at trial, but not be a complete anti-social sperglord in pre-trials. Given that most of your clients will be guilty, and most will have a lot of evidence to prove it, and most will have pesky things like "prior records" that make them not so sympathetic, a plea deal is often in their best interests, and the ones who tend to get the best deals are the ones who are able to treat it as a job, not a cause. One of the private attorneys here, who has more ineffective assistance claims and substantiated grievances than most, gets amazing deals for his clients because he's just so goddamn reasonable and likeable. In that vein, also, yes, definitely intern with a PD office, to get your name and face out there, but also do "other things" as well. This goes for both PD and Prosecutor, but at least here, the person who goes into the interview with the "This is all I've ever wanted to be" posture usually gets passed over from someone a little more well-rounded. No one wants a brand new lawyer who thinks their life is going to be an episode of Law and Order or the Practice. You may want to consider doing a year or two in another job before applying to the PD to show you're competent. Also, remember...lovely economy. Governemnt jobs are steady pay and good bennnies. You are not just competing with people who want to be PDs...you are competing with people who want to eat.

This is some of the best advice in the thread. Just be cool with people and poo poo will work out.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

And if you look at a PD agency and think they're part of the problem, don't work there, duh.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

SlothBear posted:

If you want to be a PD, either go to a T14 school and pray that PSLF actually gets funded, or go to a school that gives you a full ride in the area you want to work in and intern for the PDs there every summer. I would recommend the latter option. PDs care a lot more about your dedication that your education, and if you've worked there before you apply you get a good headstart. And if you went to a super cheap school you aren't chained to it.

What do you mean by hope PSLF gets funded? The first round of forgiveness should be in a few years shouldn't it

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

Curb that kind of talk, for starters. In my experience, the good PD offices don't want true believers, they want lawyers. Lawyers who are aggressive and will go to the mat for the client, sure, but someone who goes in with the attitude that "the man" is out to get them generally isn't as effective as someone who just works the case, especially since "the man" tends to have more power, ability to approve pleas etc etc, so they want someone who can aggressively fight at trial, but not be a complete anti-social sperglord in pre-trials.

I take your point, but it seems like basic realism. It's not fun to be stuck in an office where there's one investigator split between 5 attorneys and some of the clerks don't even bother to read the case law. All questions of justice aside, it sucks to work there, having seen it firsthand. Are you saying there's a nationwide standard of excellence in PD offices and anyone who thinks otherwise is considered a fanatic and won't be hired where you practice? Where do you practice, if you don't mind me asking? Obviously you have to work with the local DA and the relationship is professional rather than antagonistic, but prosecutors pull bullshit from time to time and the degree of bullshit varies wildly from place to place. Looking at what you said, this might just be your generic bitter rant rather than anything directed at me, but if people making the hiring decisions are that easy to set off, what are some trigger words to avoid?

I'm stuck in a lodge with a half-dozen public defenders right now and only one of them didn't go to work for the PD office right after law school. It seems like answers do vary a lot from place to place, so some geographically specific input might be more useful. It seems like it's better to pick the place I'd want to practice before I start, but what if I (say) go to CUNY and decide I want to practice in (say) Minnesota? Would I be better off trying to go to a school in-state if I know for sure what state I want to be in?

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

What are your stats?

Undergraduate didn't do grades on a translatable GPA scale, took LSAT once and got a 161, but with minimal studying.

Smerdyakov fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 15, 2014

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
http://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/i-am-an-artisanal-attorney

I Am An Artisanal Attorney posted:

Are you tired of large corporate law firms making the same cookie cutter litigation? Do you fondly remember a time when quality mattered in law suits, when there was art and craftsmanship in every court motion filed, when company records were drafted using the traditional methods and tools? If you have become dissatisfied with mass-produced legal representation, stop by my scriveners shop; for I am an artisanal attorney.

Not long ago, while attending a small-batch honey wine tasting at a meadery with friends, I realized that we bought only organic produce at the local farmers market, ate only free range meat prepared by our traditional neighborhood butcher, and filled our apartments with only free trade, hand crafted furniture. We—and many others like us—insist on authenticity in everything in our lives. We don’t want to eat. We want the fullness that only comes from a meal created by the human experience. We don’t want to drink. We want the buzz that is produced by the draught of a person’s skill. It occurred to me that people who demand realness in their food and homes should also demand it in their legal representation. That was when I became an artisanal attorney.

How is an artisanal attorney different from any other attorney? Like other artisans, I pay close attention to my ingredients and process; I am intimately involved in all stages of creation. Other attorneys print their documents on paper they buy in mass-produced boxes, tens of thousands of sheets at a time, using ink that mechanically jets onto the page. I make my own paper by hand, using the traditional methods of 14th-century book publishers, who printed their works on linen and vellum. The flax for the linen grows along the sides of a nearby swimming hole, and the plants’ growth is influenced by the laughter of children in the summer, when I pick it by hand. The vellum comes from the grass-fed cows of an area farm; to give the cows more agency in the vellum-making process, I let them choose the pumice I will treat their hides with after slaughter. I also make my own ink, using the ink of squid I raise myself in a PETA-approved salt-water aquarium in my office. You can meet all my squid during our initial meeting and pick which one you want for the ink on your will or healthcare power of attorney.

After crafting your paper and extracting your ink, I painstakingly draft your legal documents using the tools and techniques of an 18th-century barrister. A feather quill will write the motion to dismiss your traffic ticket on a beautiful vellum sheet in large, ornate letters that will appear familiar to you if you’ve looked at a reproduction on the “Conftitution.” S’s will look like f’s, the first word of each paragraph will be comically oversized in the historic manner, and all documents will be rolled up like a poster, just like the Declaration of Independence and Constitution.

With this dedication to the traditional process and components of artisan lawyering, it will not surprise you that an artisanal attorney charges more than a corporately-processing, mass-producing attorney. But as with the handmade ascots you buy from your neighborhood ascottery or the organic gluten-free bagels you buy from your hypoallergenic bakery, it is worth the trade off: you sacrifice meaningless, monotonous money for a meaningful individualized lawyer experience. The appeal of your income taxes that I’ll file with the IRS will be like no one else’s.

Don’t be lulled into a complacent life filled with more cheap, manufactured goods than you’ll ever need and lawsuits that don’t reflect your uniqueness. Insist on a life well-lived with food, experiences, and litigation that reflect people and skills, not factories and automation. The next time you need to settle a boundary dispute with your neighbor, consult with me – I’m your artisanal attorney. You can find me on Bedford Avenue, in between Ruby’s Fluoridation-Free Fire Sprinkler Installation and Otto’s Mustache Groomery.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

What do you mean by hope PSLF gets funded? The first round of forgiveness should be in a few years shouldn't it

Bolded the important part.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Smerdyakov posted:

All questions of justice aside, it sucks to work there, having seen it firsthand.

I would leave this part out when interviewing.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
People who say "I want to be a Public Defender" invariably mean, "I want everyone to think I want to be a Public Defender."

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Smerdyakov posted:

this might just be your generic bitter rant rather than anything directed at me, but if people making the hiring decisions are that easy to set off, what are some trigger words to avoid?

Pro Tip: If you want advice from people, don't refer to previous advice as a bitter rant. .2 hours mentoring. Also, you say you spent 5 years "bumming around and getting into trouble" what kind of trouble, because that might impact your chances of getting into a PD office as well. See Jesse Pinkman on criminal lawyers vs. "criminal lawyers" and there's background checks for pretty much all state service. Now, the good news is, once you get into the state system, you can gently caress up pretty badly and not be fired but for reasons stated below about the number of applicants for these jobs, if there's an easy reason to throw your resume out from the get go, like criminal history, good luck passing HR.

As to the rest of your points:

Smerdyakov posted:

I take your point, but it seems like basic realism. It's not fun to be stuck in an office where there's one investigator split between 5 attorneys and some of the clerks don't even bother to read the case law.

Yeah...Hi. So, how many investigators do you think the prosecution has? We have 5 for an office of 15 that handles capital cases. Sure, that's a better ratio than 5:1, but we also have the burden of proof. (And really, investigators don't "investigate" so much as they serve subpoenas and pick up poo poo from the police departments for us, which we are then required to copy for the defense.) As for clerks not reading case law...what clerks are you talking about?

quote:

All questions of justice aside, it sucks to work there, having seen it firsthand.

First hand from your extensive moot court experience?

quote:

Are you saying there's a nationwide standard of excellence in PD offices and anyone who thinks otherwise is considered a fanatic and won't be hired where you practice?

Are you saying you don't think there's a high standard of competence in public defenders? If so, that's another thing I'd not mention in interview.

quote:

Where do you practice, if you don't mind me asking?

I mind.

quote:

Obviously you have to work with the local DA and the relationship is professional rather than antagonistic, but prosecutors pull bullshit from time to time and the degree of bullshit varies wildly from place to place.

:allears:

quote:

I'm stuck in a lodge with a half-dozen public defenders right now

Hey Phil...source material for your next novella.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Dec 15, 2014

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
As a public defender in California.
1. Don't go to law school.
2. We want both true believers and good lawyers in one package. Which we can get because we have hundreds of people applying for every vacancy. You have to be a true believer to not kill yourself. True believer means you believe you job is to make the state do everything right before they put someone in prison -- not walk your client.
3. It is grueling, thankless work. Co-Worker just walked a guy charged with murder, and she hasn't even gotten a thank you. You finish one case just to be presented 100 equally hosed up cases who wonder why you don't visit them at the jail every day.
4. Moot court. Ha!
5. You have to be ok with losing, because you will lose a lot.
6. Hardest thing to realize is you are not responsible for the facts you get, but you got to deal with them. So your client is on video loving a horse? Can you present a non-IAC defense without laughing while still knowing your client will lose?
7. Bullshit politics. Most offices care way to much about numbers and your bosses would prefer you lose a trial than get a case dismissed even if they won't say it out loud. This may only apply to California government employed PDs. This is because we justify much of our funding based on trial numbers. Also, while individual DAs can be good or terrible people, the politics in their offices make deal with them like banging your head against a wall.
8. The job is amazingly stressful, especially if you aren't great at dealing with this particular stress. There is a major difference between "if I gently caress up, I can't get into a good school" and "if I gently caress up, this guy is going to prison for life." Do not under-estimate it or discount it, it is nothing like anything you have experienced in your life until now. There's a reason that even for lawyers, criminal defense attorneys drink and do drugs at an amazing rate.
9. Don't go to law school.
10. Being a government lawyer is going to be less and less "lucrative" as time goes on. "Why are my public servants making anything more than minimum wage! They serve me!"

The good thing is that defense attorneys have the best stories, and PDs are the coolest lawyers. We have good parties, only a few douche bags (they get weeded out), and will give each other the clothes off our back. In California, the pay is tied to DAs, so pay is fine. We have decent benefits, lots of vacation, and a pension. However, pay is stagnating and the pension is under constant attack.

Also, if you want to be a criminal attorney of any type, the best way to do it is to go through a public defender's office. You'll get experience. Lots of people go through DA's offices, but you learn a different skill set there, and most, but certainly not all, ex-DA criminal defense attorneys are underwhelming.
Bad news. We had like 900 people apply for 3 vacancies, even in the recovering market. The formula to get hired is unpredictable and is really random.
Big offices like San Francisco, Alameda, LA, etc care where you went to law school.
You will be expected to have trial experience before you get hired. This will almost certainly mean you have to work for free for a while to get that.
You are almost required to have volunteered for a PD office. Bonus if it is the one you are applying to. It can help if you go to school near were you want to work.
You cannot be picky. You're probably go to get a job with some inland county. Many PDs start in the IE or the central valley and may later apply to coastal counties.
Some counties (San Diego and San Francisco) basically require that you work for free for them before they will consider hiring you.
Basically no one will hire you before you pass the bar.

Notice all the working for free? Hope your parents can help you out for a year after graduation, because you can't work at starbucks and be a full time attorney volunteer!

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

nm posted:

2. We want both true believers and good lawyers in one package. Which we can get because we have hundreds of people applying for every vacancy. You have to be a true believer to not kill yourself. True believer means you believe you job is to make the state do everything right before they put someone in prison -- not walk your client.

Yeah, I think I was not as clear as I could have been there on what I meant by "true believer" said with air quotes and a heavy dose of sarcasm. To me, (and the other prosecutors who routinely use it as a pejorative) "true believer" is the "lurking behind every prosecutor is an intentional brady violation waiting to happen, and this country is fascist and all my clients are innocent" type who takes every case extremely personally...they tend to get bitter, fast.

I don't consider someone who recognizes we have a constitution, believes in the right to a fair trial, and forces the state to its burden when appropriate, and negotiates when appropriate, a "True believer." That's more "being a good lawyer."

Edited to add, some time ago, I also did defense work. Your point on the stress of defense work is spot on. Everyone thinks "oh I would love to defend an innocent person." No. No you wouldn't. That's the only time you can personally be responsible for an injustice and the pressure is phenomenal. With a guilty client, (assuming no prosecutorial misconduct or shenanigans) if convicted, justice done because they were guilty. If acquitted, justice done because state didn't prove its case. If plea dealed, justice done because everyone's in agreement.

If innocent and convicted? gently caress.

PS...you left out the fun of the inevitable ineffective assistance habeas claim and grievances.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Dec 15, 2014

nm
Jan 28, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

PS...you left out the fun of the inevitable ineffective assistance habeas claim and grievances.

The good news is that in CA, your basically have you be drunk, sleeping with the DA, insult the jurors' moms, AND admit it on the record to be IAC. And the bar don't care.

Oh and I will take 500 guilty clients over 1 innocent client. Innocent people cases are the most stressful poo poo on earth.

I don't always find pleas pleasant though. Advising someone who might be innocent to plea to a charge to avoid lifetime sex offender registration, for example, sucks. But yeah, less stressful than an innocent person trial.

nm fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 15, 2014

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

nm posted:

The good news is that in CA, your basically have you be drunk, sleeping with the DA, insult the jurors' moms, AND admit it on the record to be IAC. And the bar don't care.

Oh and I will take 500 guilty clients over 1 innocent client. Innocent people cases are the most stressful poo poo on earth.

I don't always find pleas pleasant though. Advising someone who might be innocent to plea to a charge to avoid lifetime sex offender registration, for example, sucks. But yeah, less stressful than an innocent person trial.

Sex assault cases are just the worst for everyone involved. Will take a murder case over a rape case any day of the week.

It's a high bar here too on IAC (and also, bar don't care) but we had the brilliant idea to give extremely expansive habeas rights, including a right to multiple habeas petitions, an extremely narrow interpretation of "abuse of the writ" and "successive petitions" and the right to a full evidentiary hearing on each petition...so you, defense counsel, will have to be dragged away from whatever more important poo poo you were working on, to drive to the rear end end of nowhere to the one court we run all our habeas trials out of, to get monday morning quarterbacked by a member of the young lawyers section of the bar who's been out of law school five minutes and now works at one of our few approved habeas puppy mill firms, only to have I or one of my colleagues for the state get up on cross and ask "NM, you've been an attorney for how many years? And in those years you've had to develop litigation strategies, correct? And did you have a strategic reason for not doing X in this case? And what was that reason? Thank you no more questions." And if that fails, there's always "lack of prejudice. But still...it's a huge waste of your time, (not my time, because it's my job to be there...but your job is to be doing something else.) Then your client can bring another claim against his habeas attorney claiming that HE was ineffective for not making better arguments about why YOU were ineffective, and you'll get dragged up to testify again.

We are so broken. We are broken to the point where we have started raising the special defense of laches...and winning.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

mastershakeman posted:

And it will probably be about as easy to get PSLF as it was to get HAMP.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

Pro Tip: If you want advice from people, don't refer to previous advice as a bitter rant.

But it worked!

P.S. Where do you practice

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Smerdyakov posted:

But it worked!

:what:

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Smerdyakov posted:

with your mom.

nm posted:

Don't go to law school.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 15, 2014

Folly
May 26, 2010

Based on his rap sheet, not reading is kinda his thing.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Folly posted:

Based on his rap sheet, not reading is kinda his thing.

*clicks on rap sheet tab*

"Approved by Vilerat"

:( everytime the name pops up it makes me sad...which reminds me that I'm human. Which I hate.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I want to be a lawyer because I love to argue! :smuggo:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I feed my self-esteem monster with little white lies that people I perceive as higher-esteemed than myself are only a declaration of intent away from being my peers!

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

blarzgh posted:

I want to be a lawyer because I love to argue! :smuggo:

Recently had someone tell me that she could have been just as good a lawyer as I am if she had gone to law school because everyone (her dad) tells her how good she is at arguing.

About a week after this conversation, she was involuntarily committed to an insane asylum.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I'm probably smarter than most lawyers, I just didn't go to school for it, or pass the bar, or do any of the tens of thousands of hours of hard work and sacrifice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
How I feel about myself is directly tied to what I think about what other people think of me, so I'm going to be totally passive-aggressive to some successful people and, in my head, convince myself that they are probably really surprised at how smart and valuable I am. They think I'm such a diamond in the rough! I AM! :Alladin: