Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Anidav posted:

Do we know if the person is middle eastern or is there still the possibility its some fuckhead who bought an Arabic flag to get attention?

Only people seen so far have been hostages, so it is possible (but probably unlikely)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
poo poo's going to be hosed in the aftermath if this isn't it? :ohdear:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Anidav posted:

Do we know if the person is middle eastern or is there still the possibility its some fuckhead who bought an Arabic flag to get attention?

One of the news channels said a witness said it was a middle eastern appearance in a long sleeve shirt and a black vest.

There's also a video of one of the hostages putting her hand to her throat and making a throat cut.

News is now reporting the terrorists have bombs throughout Sydney and want to talk to the PM.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 15, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ColtMcAsskick posted:

Even more so than they are now? Signs point to yes.

quote:

Ray Hadley, a presenter at 2GB radio station, is saying the hostage takers want to talk to the prime minister, Tony Abbott, live on air.

Okay, even more doubly extra hosed.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Comstar posted:

One of the news channels said a witness said it was a middle eastern appearance in a long sleeve shirt and a black vest.

Wasn't there a time a decade ago where every every suspect mentioned on the TV was reported to have a middle eastern appearance?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Tokamak posted:

Wasn't there a time a decade ago where every every suspect mentioned on the TV was reported to have a middle eastern appearance?

Yeah, I don't trust eye-witness accounts of 'he looked middle eastern' personally.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Comstar posted:

Yeah, the interview with the witness seemed pretty sketchy though. He saw "one guy walking around" and everyone else was sitting down. He couldn't tell if the guy was armed, and it's not easy to see someone's skin tone if you can't see whether they're armed or not.

stream is here: http://www.abc.net.au/news/abcnews24/

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

ColtMcAsskick posted:

Normal people worry about whats going on NOW.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010
One of the workers in the cafe who was due to start at 10am was interviewed. He gave his name as Bruno. He showed up at 9:45 and the door was locked; it's never locked. Everyone inside was sitting down, with one guy walking around. He didn't see a gun. Then cops showed up and he had to go. He thinks he saw his manager in there, but wasn't sure about other co-workers. He called a few co-workers and some didn't answer. He's afraid to call his manager.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Which feed is the best to watch? Channel 7 has an obnoxiously large and annoying logo scrolling over the screen.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

T-1000 posted:

One of the workers in the cafe who was due to start at 10am was interviewed. He gave his name as Bruno. He showed up at 9:45 and the door was locked; it's never locked. Everyone inside was sitting down, with one guy walking around. He didn't see a gun. Then cops showed up and he had to go. He thinks he saw his manager in there, but wasn't sure about other co-workers. He called a few co-workers and some didn't answer. He's afraid to call his manager.

This seems to be the only real witness so far, so anything else you hear is likely to be bs

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Comstar posted:

Which feed is the best to watch? Channel 7 has an obnoxiously large and annoying logo scrolling over the screen.

This one: http://www.abc.net.au/news/abcnews24/

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Even more so than they are now? Signs point to yes.

Okay, even more doubly extra hosed.

Noted broadcaster of great repute, Ray Hadley.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

It'll be good to hear Tony talk the terrorists down by referencing his removal of the Carbon and Mining taxes, and reducing Labor waste

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I realllllly hope they take them alive.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Just The Facts posted:

Normal people worry about whats going on NOW.

The widespread violence against anyone who looks even faintly middle eastern as a result of this is going to be very, very bad.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Comstar posted:

News is now reporting the terrorists have bombs throughout Sydney and want to talk to the PM.
What?!

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Splode posted:

The widespread violence against anyone who looks even faintly middle eastern as a result of this is going to be very, very bad.

Sorry, I'm more concerned about the people being held hostage by maniacs.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Gridlocked posted:

I realllllly hope they take them alive.

This has two endings:

Them dead.

Them in prison for the rest of their life.

This is the end of that gunmans life one way or the other.

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

Now if you were a terrorist and you had a choice of 2 targets to send your particular radical message from would you target -

a.) A cafe belonging to a large confectionery chain.

b.) A national media station.

I'm going to guess these guys are in way over their heads.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
From Guardian live feed. I have no idea what his source is.
Ray Hadley, a presenter at 2GB radio station, is saying a hostage taker wants to talk to the prime minister, Tony Abbott, live on air.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Lid posted:

This has two endings:

Them dead.

Them in prison for the rest of their life.

This is the end of that gunmans life one way or the other.

Yes but alive the least we can do is politely ask them some questions. Sure they most likely don't know poo poo, but it would make me feel better.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

There's some American "expert" on the abc stream adding to the hysteria with raw speculation.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Ewan posted:

From Guardian live feed. I have no idea what his source is.
Ray Hadley, a presenter at 2GB radio station, is saying a hostage taker wants to talk to the prime minister, Tony Abbott, live on air.

Struggling to understand where Hadley got this. He has friends, including a very odious son, in the NSW Policebut he still seems to be sticking his next WAY out on this call.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Neif posted:

Now if you were a terrorist and you had a choice of 2 targets to send your particular radical message would you target -

a.) A cafe belonging to a large confectionary chain.

This is basically what the dude on 24 is saying right now, that he was spotted and ducked into the shop for cover and is making it up as he goes. I guess that also fits into the narrative of desperation if the raids in western Sydney this morning were actually connected.

Alternatively it's not a really big coincidence that they're putting flags up in windows directly over the road from a broadcaster and they do indeed have bombs all over Sydney.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Neif posted:

Now if you were a terrorist and you had a choice of 2 targets to send your particular radical message from would you target -

If you look at the area surrounding the Lindt cafe there are literally roughly EVERY BUILDING apart from the Lindt cafe that would make a bigger point. Except the co-op bookshop I guess.

Channel 7 News

Reserve Bank of Australia

Supreme Court of NSW

Many many many many others.

Hell two blocks from the state parlimanent.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Neif posted:

The guy on ABC News 24 is saying that they got spotted by cops, panicked and ducked in to the Lindt cafe. But he is making up a LOT of poo poo so I dunno.

There's the argument to be made that these guys have chosen a place with a lot of media, where they're targeting random people and have shut down the city centre.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Lid posted:

If you look at the area surrounding the Lindt cafe there are literally roughly EVERY BUILDING apart from the Lindt cafe that would make a bigger point. Except the co-op bookshop I guess.

Channel 7 News

Supreme Court of NSW

There's an American consulate very close to Martin place.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

All of those Important targets have guards. This guy on abc suggested THE AMERICAN CONSULATE. Unless you had access to a tank, this strikes me as a very dumb target.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Lid posted:

Channel 7 News

Supreme Court of NSW

Hell two blocks from the state parlimanent.

all of them have better security than the lindt cafe

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Jesus Christ Hadley. True or not do you think that's even remotely responsible to broadcast?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
ABC News Radio had 'terrorism expert' Clive Williams on, who confirmed that it was in fact an Islamic State flag, despite it not being an Islamic State flag. Top work guys

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If this is just one guy they are really freaking out.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

cpaf posted:

and they do indeed have bombs all over Sydney.

Do they really, though? That assertion seemed to come out of nowhere, especially given the rest of their show hasn't exactly been the most cunningly planned ordeal.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Gough Suppressant posted:

ABC News Radio had 'terrorism expert' Clive Williams on, who confirmed that it was in fact an Islamic State flag, despite it not being an Islamic State flag. Top work guys

Does it really matter if its an "Islamic State" flag v.s. just a flag with Arabic writing if the whole point of them brandishing the flag is to link it to Islamic extremism?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

adamantium|wang posted:

Jesus Christ Hadley. True or not do you think that's even remotely responsible to broadcast?

Excuse me, but The People must be shown The Truth!

*checks ratings*

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Just saw a shot of one of the Police. Holy crap, I didn't realise our police force was that militarised already.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Ragingsheep posted:

Does it really matter if its an "Islamic State" flag v.s. just a flag with Arabic writing if the whole point of them brandishing the flag is to link it to Islamic extremism?

Yes, because there are many radical islamic extremist groups, with many different goals.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Splode posted:

Just saw a shot of one of the Police. Holy crap, I didn't realise our police force was that militarised already.

there's a difference between 'the police' vs 'the police that get called out when there is a hostage situation'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Splode posted:

Considering this is a siege with hostages, I'd sort of hope they have the SWAT guys. I also hope they aren't needed.

ABC News 24 is interviewing a guy from the Lowy Institute for International Policy. He's admitted to knowing as much about the flag as the newsreader, but has basically been a sensible adult giving honest, cautious appraisals of how little is known about the situation. An amazing change from the gungh-hu US guy they had a few minutes ago.

• Locked thread