Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Galaxy S5 owner checking in. I just switched off Windows Phone and the only thing driving me nutters :spergin: is that I can't actually delete the pre-installed bullshit piled into this phone on Verizon.

Is rooting the only option to free up my disk space and is there an active root that works on the current version of the S5's OS from VZ?

More importantly is there a reason android platforms don't let me delete this poo poo other than "gently caress You, Thats Why."? In all seriousness do they think forcing me to leave this bloatware installed is going to make me not perma-disable it at every opportunity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Digital_Jesus posted:

Galaxy S5 owner checking in. I just switched off Windows Phone and the only thing driving me nutters :spergin: is that I can't actually delete the pre-installed bullshit piled into this phone on Verizon.

Is rooting the only option to free up my disk space and is there an active root that works on the current version of the S5's OS from VZ?
If you go into Settings > Apps you should be able to disable most of it, no root required.

Digital_Jesus posted:

More importantly is there a reason android platforms don't let me delete this poo poo other than "gently caress You, Thats Why."? In all seriousness do they think forcing me to leave this bloatware installed is going to make me not perma-disable it at every opportunity?
To answer your ninja-edit, they're in the system partition. Even if you could delete them that space is unavailable to you. (That doesn't stop everyone from calling the devices the size of all partitions combined but that's for another day.)

Figure it this way, the carrier and the OEM are filling your phone with garbage anyway. They're going to be doing that for a number of reasons and for various motivations but the end result is they're going to be doing it. The reason Android is popular is because they allow for this and it never would've amounted to anything if it couldn't do this by design.

To be fair, I'd be a lot more annoyed with Samsung putting over 4GB of useless trash and broken gimmicks on my phone than whatever Verizon puts there. Samsung's system image takes almost three times more than the equivalent stock Google image. That's ridiculous, but then Samsung makes ridiculous poo poo so it fits.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 15, 2014

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Sorry yeah I already disabled the junk but I'd like to reclaim whatever possible disk space I can for storing other poo poo. Not an option?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

LastInLine posted:

Excellent! Now we're getting somewhere.

-113dBm is crazy low, that's why you're not connected. If you're anywhere under -100dBm, you should consider yourself borderline but at under -110dBm you are disconnected. So it's not provisioning, it's just a bad signal. Okay you're on stock 4.3. Does Rogers Wind have EDGE fallback? I know many Canadian carriers run a 3G-only network (now they have 4G too but that doesn't apply).

You're going to say that your other phone gets a signal where you are, why won't this one and that's a good question to ask. I'm tempted to say the phone could be damaged in some way internally such that it can't receive a signal. How is the wifi signal? If you go outside, how much better does the signal show? What is the signal strength in the same location on your old device (if it works)?

I'm really leaning toward a damaged antenna.

I'll bring the phone with me tomorrow and see if I can get a signal during the day. The wifi reception is excellent, but am I right to assume that's separate hardware? The old phone (the same model with the same radio but a different ROM) gets good reception everywhere I've tested.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

LastInLine posted:

Figure it this way, the carrier and the OEM are filling your phone with garbage anyway. They're going to be doing that for a number of reasons and for various motivations but the end result is they're going to be doing it. The reason Android is popular is because they allow for this and it never would've amounted to anything if it couldn't do this by design.

To be fair, I'd be a lot more annoyed with Samsung putting over 4GB of useless trash and broken gimmicks on my phone than whatever Verizon puts there. Samsung's system image takes almost three times more than the equivalent stock Google image. That's ridiculous, but then Samsung makes ridiculous poo poo so it fits.

Quote is not edit.....

Gotcha. Thanks for the fast reply!

I'm assuming theres options for loading the stock version of android on the phone? (I have zero issues with my Nexus 7 Tablet)
Will look into it a bit but phones are not something I dabble in frequently. Don't really want to brick the thing or break functionality. The device is pretty ok.

Fuckers.
vvv

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 15, 2014

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Unrooted phones cannot write to /system.

Carrier pack-in BS starts in /system. Updates to carrier pack-in go in /data but disabling rolls it back.

You can't save space by removing the disabled stuff.

Odds are you will never be able to so much as root a Verizon S5, because Samsung does draconian and futile things to sell their phones as Blackberry levels of secure and Verizon is openly disdainful of its userbase.

Edit: oh yeah, Samsung does more than anyone to make Android look not-AOSP - this goes deeper than UI and Samsung doesn't care if their changes are breaking changes, which routinely causes headaches for Android developers - and uses Tizen both as an ejection seat and a bully pulpit to keep Google and carriers sort of in line with Samsung's wishes.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 15, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Digital_Jesus posted:

Sorry yeah I already disabled the junk but I'd like to reclaim whatever possible disk space I can for storing other poo poo. Not an option?
The system partition is not for you and nothing you take out of there will give you space in the user partition.

xtal posted:

I'll bring the phone with me tomorrow and see if I can get a signal during the day. The wifi reception is excellent, but am I right to assume that's separate hardware? The old phone (the same model with the same radio but a different ROM) gets good reception everywhere I've tested.
I honestly don't know if the wifi is separate hardware but it's certainly a different frequency. There is one other weird thing about the Galaxy Nexus I just remembered: RIL-matching. Try this app and do what it says. I can't imagine it will work but at this point if your other device works fine in the same location then I think it's safe to say it's broken. ROMs shouldn't affect the radio anyway.

I'd hesitate to put too much work into a Galaxy Nexus at this point just due to its age but really even in the best of times the reception on it wasn't great. One with bad reception would probably burn through the battery in under an hour. You might be better off getting a Moto G or something unless you're just using this to gently caress around with. Is this a situation where this is the best you can afford?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Edit: oh yeah, Samsung does more than anyone to make Android look not-AOSP - this goes deeper than UI and Samsung doesn't care if their changes are breaking changes, which routinely causes headaches for Android developers - and uses Tizen both as an ejection seat and a bully pulpit to keep Google and carriers sort of in line with Samsung's wishes.

Yeah well.. at least I've got this sick nasty chrome bezel on this beast.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

LastInLine posted:

The system partition is not for you and nothing you take out of there will give you space in the user partition.
I honestly don't know if the wifi is separate hardware but it's certainly a different frequency. There is one other weird thing about the Galaxy Nexus I just remembered: RIL-matching. Try this app and do what it says. I can't imagine it will work but at this point if your other device works fine in the same location then I think it's safe to say it's broken. ROMs shouldn't affect the radio anyway.

I'd hesitate to put too much work into a Galaxy Nexus at this point just due to its age but really even in the best of times the reception on it wasn't great. One with bad reception would probably burn through the battery in under an hour. You might be better off getting a Moto G or something unless you're just using this to gently caress around with. Is this a situation where this is the best you can afford?

No, the Galaxy Nexus has the best hardware support for the ROM I wanted to install. But I do think it's broken. I'll try to get my money back and get something else.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

xtal posted:

No, the Galaxy Nexus has the best hardware support for the ROM I wanted to install. But I do think it's broken. I'll try to get my money back and get something else.
Genuinely curious what special purpose a Galaxy Nexus could have that other phones can't work do. I had one and I don't exactly miss it. I never had any problems with it--I mean it was no LG G2x or Nexus/Galaxy S but compared to the Nexus 4 and 5 it was really, really lovely. Worse in every way.

What crazy use does it have? Is that OMAP useful for something after all?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Mooktastical posted:

Click the little question mark. He's probably the most prolific and helpful poster in the thread. Nice.

Yeah well, he is an unhelpful dick to me, so gently caress him.

As for the Tizen comment, I have used it on Samsungs new camera and it is not only fast but seems nice. But nevermind that, SPERGLORD AUTSTITC GOON LOL

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

redeyes posted:

As for the Tizen comment, I have used it on Samsungs new camera and it is not only fast but seems nice. But nevermind that, SPERGLORD AUTSTITC GOON LOL

You've talked about using custom roms with lots of modifications and community support, yet don't want to get another Samsung phone because they've started making them more locked down (though IIRC this is often Verizon's doing, too). Do you think Samsung's own OS, Tizen, which has no users, will be more customizable and more supported and more open than their Android phones? Might as well get a Palm Pre, there would probably be more modding available for it and not any worse prospects for future support either.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 15, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

redeyes posted:

You didn't ask for help, you just said this:

redeyes posted:

I signed up for Verizon unlimited data back when they did that and will never change my plan. So I am totally stuck using rooted whatever so I can tether and use my loving data.

Using a pre-rooted used Note II right now which is a really great phone. My problem is that it seems that new Samsung devices are so locked down that they are unrootable. Even my new Galaxy Tab S 10.5 tablet has this garbage called KNOX and voids my warranty if I root.

Honestly this is the end of my android if this continues. These are not computers anymore they are appliances. Very disappointing.
You'll note the lack of a question. That's because you were just bitching but let's look at it more closely. The first sentence is complaining that you're having more trouble breaking Verizon's TOS. Hey, Verizon is evil so I'll give that a pass because they'd rape your mother if they could find a way to charge you for doing it.

Second, rooting voids your warranty on all devices except developer devices, i.e. Nexuses and Moto Developer Devices (now called Pure). It's always been that way. Even the officially sanctioned bootloader unlocks from HTC and Motorola void the warranty. That's just how it works and how it should work.

Also phones were always appliances. You can treat them as though they're a computer but they aren't, they're a telecommunications medium that is subsidized through data collection and an advertising and retail platform. I'm sorry their nature troubles you, but that's what they are and it's why they exist.

But even taking into account all of this, you were offered good advice: Buy a Nexus 6. Remarkably, it ticks every box: OLED display, rootable, available unlocked for Verizon. Still though that wasn't enough and apparently it might not have the sound quality your golden ear requires in a telephone.

You're upset with me because I pointed out that all the problems you perceive exist only because you create them. The things you're choosing to value actually have none and the detriments you decry aren't detriments at all (in some cases, like KNOX, they're actually good things!) and you don't like anyone pointing out that you aren't king nerd of Sperg Mountain, you're just a telephone user with a weird obsession about corner-cases that don't exist.

I'm sorry it hurts, but I'm sure consumerism will win out in the end and you'll find something to ease the pain of existence for a little bit. :)

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

redeyes posted:

have you noticed lately that you're a oval office?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 31 minutes!

redeyes posted:

Haha, I bet you're a blast at parties

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

redeyes posted:

Either: (a) everyone in this thread is being a dick to you for no good reason or (b) you're being a dick. Take your pick.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
OK I get it, wrong thread. This is not for rooting android.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 15, 2014

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

LastInLine posted:

Genuinely curious what special purpose a Galaxy Nexus could have that other phones can't work do. I had one and I don't exactly miss it. I never had any problems with it--I mean it was no LG G2x or Nexus/Galaxy S but compared to the Nexus 4 and 5 it was really, really lovely. Worse in every way.

What crazy use does it have? Is that OMAP useful for something after all?

I have no idea, I fully cargo culted the notion. I took it back and got a refund. Now the question is just if I get a Moto G or Nexus 5!

Thanks again for your insight.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
So now that I can actually root my VZW HTC One m8, is it worth the hassle to flash a lollipop rom?

I'm looking for a stock rom with the HTC camera and apps while avoiding all the "costumization" crap that rom makers love. Any recommendations? I'm not usually one to root but I really like. Lollipop and Verizon will probably take years to port it.

Also every rom user in XDA reports GPS and WiFi issues.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

mulligan posted:

So now that I can actually root my VZW HTC One m8, is it worth the hassle to flash a lollipop rom?

I'm looking for a stock rom with the HTC camera and apps while avoiding all the "costumization" crap that rom makers love. Any recommendations? I'm not usually one to root but I really like. Lollipop and Verizon will probably take years to port it.

Also every rom user in XDA reports GPS and WiFi issues.

If you can find a way to get the latest SkyDragon running on your VZW phone, I highly recommend it. You can customize it during the install process if you want to add/remove stuff, and the way I have mine set up it's pretty much just stock Lollipop + HTC Sense Camera and Gallery. I think there's one by someone called DigitalHigh that is supposed to be totally stock and work with VZW. No idea if it supports the Sense camera though.

As for whether it's worth the hassle: I haven't really noticed any major changes since upgrading to Lollipop but I like Material Design a lot. Mostly just been aesthetic changes so far but I haven't found any downsides yet other than a minor features of a few apps not working like they used to under KitKat.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

LastInLine posted:

But even taking into account all of this, you were offered good advice: Buy a Nexus 6. Remarkably, it ticks every box: OLED display, rootable, available unlocked for Verizon. Still though that wasn't enough and apparently it might not have the sound quality your golden ear requires in a telephone.

:science: Everything using a Qualcomm SoC has the same DAC, so they're all the same, with the exception of the software used to control the process. The setup he has for his Note 2 is about as good as it gets without buying something like this, but the substitute I recommended is also about as good as it gets without going external. Bottom line is, I don't know what his problem with the N6 was, but it certainly shouldn't have been that.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Thanks for the replies about the carrier issues in the US. I feel bad for most of the issues goon suffer because their carriers are filthy bastards or because the European Union are awesome dictators.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Guillermus posted:

Thanks for the replies about the carrier issues in the US. I feel bad for most of the issues goon suffer because their carriers are filthy bastards or because the European Union are awesome dictators.
Well get ready for some US-style hijinks because the EU did not standardize on LTE frequencies in advance so there's a chance for balkanization ( :v: ) there. Software radios have improved quite a bit in the last few years which is why the effects haven't been so pronounced but it's definitely a problem if you want to build a global phone. This is why devices like the Nexus 6 have a US and Global model, because they just can't account for all of Europe's oddball LTE frequencies while the US actually has fewer and better-structured LTE bands.

I should note that this isn't necessarily a bad thing all in the interest of destroying competition (well within Europe, it might be) because now that smartphones are a thing there's a large market in smartphone theft and resales. Because of cooperation between carriers in blacklisting models now that region-wide cross compatibility is increasingly common, the best way is to sell the devices cheaply to other regions. Asia generally isn't an issue (because they have crazy networks but mostly because they produce cheaper new devices than EU/NA stolen devices can get) so having EU/NA devices being incompatible further suppresses the incentive for cellphone theft.

Really if you're going to feel bad for people dealing with carriers, feel bad for Canadians. Verizon looks at Canadian carriers the way General Buck Turgidson looked at the Russian ambassador in Dr. Strangelove ("Man I wish we had one of those doomsday machines..."). Canadians get hosed in ways you wouldn't believe.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Can someone with a stock nexus 5 running 5.0.1 post the kernel version from settings > about phone? I have looked everywhere for this little tid bit of info and can't find it. I want to check if my update from 5 to 5.01 is correct and that chainfire auto root didn't downgrade the kernel. thanks.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

r0ck0 posted:

Can someone with a stock nexus 5 running 5.0.1 post the kernel version from settings > about phone? I have looked everywhere for this little tid bit of info and can't find it. I want to check if my update from 5 to 5.01 is correct and that chainfire auto root didn't downgrade the kernel. thanks.
3.4.0-g88fbc66
android-build@vpbs1.mtv.corp.google.com #1
Mon Oct 20 22:18:31 UTC 2014

That's from the factory image. Modern SuperSU doesn't need to modify the kernel anymore but if you're unsure just go to fastboot and fastboot flash boot boot.img from the factory image (the file will in the zip file in the tgz file).

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Thanks, that's what I did and that's the kernel I got.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
My N7 2013 was rooted on Kit Kat, but I uninstalled SuperSU and Xposed and sideloaded 5.0 (everything in the zip file but data and cache). Now when I try to take the 5.0.1 OTA, I get an error in the stock recovery when it tries to flash. I guess I'll just sideload this one too unless someone knows how to make it stop throwing an error.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

My N7 2013 was rooted on Kit Kat, but I uninstalled SuperSU and Xposed and sideloaded 5.0 (everything in the zip file but data and cache). Now when I try to take the 5.0.1 OTA, I get an error in the stock recovery when it tries to flash. I guess I'll just sideload this one too unless someone knows how to make it stop throwing an error.
It generally gives a reason for the failure in the Terminal window.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

LastInLine posted:

It generally gives a reason for the failure in the Terminal window.

Where's that at? All I get is a dead bugdroid with an exclamation mark and the word ERROR.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Where's that at? All I get is a dead bugdroid with an exclamation mark and the word ERROR.
That's the screen on your phone. Look on the screen on your computer.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

LastInLine posted:

That's the screen on your phone. Look on the screen on your computer.

I don't install OTA updates with my computer :confused:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I don't install OTA updates with my computer :confused:
Well that's why you don't know what's wrong. I want to say that if you flash the OTA with a custom recovery, sideload or not, it displays exactly what's causing the error. I know it did in Clockwork Recovery on my N5 moving from 4.4.4 > 5.0 which was a build.prop error. In fact now I'm not sure if the error is displayed in Terminal at all, but I know it displays in CWR. It occurs to me now that I've never actually done an OTA the way it's supposed to be done and I've only sideloaded an OTA a handful of times.

Obviously none of that is going to help you with the stock recovery applying the OTA from, um, over the air. Anyway, you know how to fix it and I guess there's no way to diagnose without a custom recovery. :shrug:

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
The error is also displayed in stock recovery when sideloading the OTA with ADB. I got some error and ended up just flashing the files manually.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I'm assuming flashing the OTA file is going to break root and my custom kernel?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Lblitzer posted:

I'm assuming flashing the OTA file is going to break root and my custom kernel?

If you're rooted, the OTA is probably just going to fail.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If you're rooted, the OTA is probably just going to fail.

Yep, gave me an error when I tried to flash it via TWRP. I'm guessing too that the Toolkit would have the same issue?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
If flashing the OTA.zip fails, do the following: Download the 5.0.1 factory image and flash this via fastboot:

fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-hammerhead-hhz12d.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot flash radio radio-hammerhead-m8974a-2.0.50.2.22.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot format cache
fastboot reboot

Then re-root with CF-Autoroot.

this does not wipe your data!

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 17, 2014

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

r0ck0 posted:

If flashing the OTA.zip fails, do the following: Download the 5.0.1 factory image and flash this via fastboot:

fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-hammerhead-hhz12d.img
fastboot flash radio radio-hammerhead-m8974a-2.0.50.2.22.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot format cache
fastboot reboot

Then re-root with CF-Autoroot.

this does not wipe your data!
I assume everything above is why I got an error that had to do with the "test keys" (something to do with authentication signature?) on my phone being for KTU48P (4.4.4) instead of LRX210?

So I have to redo the bootloader, radio, etc etc and return fully to stock?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
You know what happens when you assume...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kafka Esq. posted:

I assume everything above is why I got an error that had to do with the "test keys" (something to do with authentication signature?) on my phone being for KTU48P (4.4.4) instead of LRX210?

So I have to redo the bootloader, radio, etc etc and return fully to stock?
Well you don't have to flash the recovery if you don't want to although if you're using the stock recovery you may as well.

You could also flash those things (minus the recovery) and adb sideload the supersu zip prior to boot, either one works.