Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Excelzior posted:

You need to be a neighbor of, or your capital needs to be situated in De Jure lands of, the lord whom you wish to swear fealty to.

These conditions were added to curb the infamous "Norse Tengri" world conquest in 25 years.

Found the answer on the wiki. Apparently Counts and Dukes can swear fealty to any neighbor, but Kings can only swear fealty to their de jure emperor. So, I think for my Sicily game I'll just swear fealty to the HRE on day one and then form Sicily from within the HRE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Both _elizabeth and _elisabeth are used for linked names in the culture files. Is that intentional? Does that matter at all? Because now that I've noticed, it's driving me nuts.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Ofaloaf posted:

Both _elizabeth and _elisabeth are used for linked names in the culture files. Is that intentional? Does that matter at all? Because now that I've noticed, it's driving me nuts.

I would say replace the ones with z, i don't think the few which are linked to _z will get proper regnal numbers except with themselves.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Weavered posted:

Off the top of my head both Shropshire and Cheshire switched hands a few times. (Admittedly it didn't make much difference as later on both were ruled by the English Monarch) It wasn't until the Tudor period that Cheshire permanently became part of England and not Wales.

Yup. If you have an interest in mediaeval Shropshire you could do far worse than read the Brother Cadfael novels by Ellis Peters. Cadfael is a former Crusader who retired to the monastery at Shrewsbury late in life to work as an apothecary, and has a sideline in solving murders. Although they are primarily murder mysteries, there's a good deal of the politics of the time described - mostly the Anarchy as it related to the area - and they're very well researched.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Bold Robot posted:

Found the answer on the wiki. Apparently Counts and Dukes can swear fealty to any neighbor, but Kings can only swear fealty to their de jure emperor. So, I think for my Sicily game I'll just swear fealty to the HRE on day one and then form Sicily from within the HRE.

Why would you want to be a vassal to the HRE as the King of Sicily? Or a vassal of the HRE, period?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Well, that's what you get for playing primitive barbarians* in a game called "Crusader Kings." :colbert:

*Not including primitive barbarians with sufficient event troops to roll over all their holy sites and/or declare themselves civilized. Those guys are okay.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Well, that's what you get for playing primitive barbarians* in a game called "Crusader Kings." :colbert:

*Not including primitive barbarians with sufficient event troops to roll over all their holy sites and/or declare themselves civilized. Those guys are okay.

Come ~900 we'll see who is civilized when his longboats blot out the British sun.

LolitaSama
Dec 27, 2011
I'm getting angry at this game now. My duke rebelled, it cost me all my gold to take him out, and I still cant banish him even though on the ck2 wikia page for banishment it says there will be no tyranny or piety penalty for banishing a duke that was the leader of the rebellion.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Did you imprison him? He has to be imprisoned so you can banish him.

LolitaSama
Dec 27, 2011

Martello posted:

Did you imprison him? He has to be imprisoned so you can banish him.
Yes he is imprisoned.Edit: He was at the time. I dont know what happened to him. He was definitely imprisoned. Could it be because of crown authority?

LolitaSama fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 15, 2014

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

LolitaSama posted:

I'm getting angry at this game now. My duke rebelled, it cost me all my gold to take him out, and I still cant banish him even though on the ck2 wikia page for banishment it says there will be no tyranny or piety penalty for banishing a duke that was the leader of the rebellion.

With the change in CM, you want to revoke his title before you banish him, so you can get his gold.

LolitaSama
Dec 27, 2011

SeaTard posted:

With the change in CM, you want to revoke his title before you banish him, so you can get his gold.

Anyway to check what his name was so I can check what happened to him? Okay he died in my dungeons so he was imprisoned. Everytime I went to banish him to gain his lands the tyranny penalty screen showed up.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

LolitaSama posted:

Yes he is imprisoned.Edit: He was at the time. I dont know what happened to him. He was definitely imprisoned. Could it be because of crown authority?

I think so, yeah. Pretty sure you need at least Low or maybe Medium to revoke and/or banish. Not sure though.

LolitaSama posted:

Anyway to check what his name was so I can check what happened to him?

Do you have Charlemagne? If so check your chronicle, it will tell what rebellion you just put down.

LolitaSama
Dec 27, 2011

Martello posted:

I think so, yeah. Pretty sure you need at least Low or maybe Medium to revoke and/or banish. Not sure though.

Do you have Charlemagne? If so check your chronicle, it will tell what rebellion you just put down.

I don't but I'm going after another Duke now. Banishment is an option, but it always has a penalty when its the leader of a rebellion.

Edit: So I think you can't banish without a tyranny penalty for vassals who rebel due to you trying to righteously imprison them.

LolitaSama fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 15, 2014

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Martello posted:

Why would you want to be a vassal to the HRE as the King of Sicily? Or a vassal of the HRE, period?

Cause otherwise it's like impossible to break into northern Italy once you form Sicily (if you don't console over to the HRE and release some dudes like you did in your Sicilia game :cheeky:). It's fun to play within a blob. Bonus: it will keep the Byzantines off your nuts.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Bold Robot posted:

Cause otherwise it's like impossible to break into northern Italy once you form Sicily (if you don't console over to the HRE and release some dudes like you did in your Sicilia game :cheeky:). It's fun to play within a blob. Bonus: it will keep the Byzantines off your nuts.

Haha, true enough! Y'know, I think I would have been able to pull it off eventually anyway, I would have just had to keep the Pope as a friend instead of a vassal until he called enough crusades for northern Italy. The HRE going Fraticelli was awesome and not my doing.

LolitaSama
Dec 27, 2011
Is there a penalty if I keep vassals in prison and let them rule their vassals from prison?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

LolitaSama posted:

Is there a penalty if I keep vassals in prison and let them rule their vassals from prison?

Nope, though if they're imprisoned technically their lands will be ruled by a regent.

Why would you do that, though? Even if they're out of money you can get a bonus with *all* vassals by releasing them.

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011
I always try to keep one or two imprisoned for unexpected ruler death, or to keep the released vassal bonus going once it fades. The bonus relations don't stack once you've gotten it once. Is it better for releasing kings? The highest I've gotten it is +15 for dukes, though that was pre-Charlemagne. It's also pretty nice to have several vassals in prison and unable to form coalitions against you.

mornhaven fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 15, 2014

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Bold Robot posted:

Wait, you can create titles when you're a vassal? Do you just have to create the title the very same day you get over 51% of the counties, because it seems like otherwise you're just handing the emperor the kingdom of sicily on a silver platter.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

I haven't been following CK2 much, so does anyone mind telling me what the thread title is referring to?

super fart shooter posted:

Wait, you can create titles when you're a vassal? Do you just have to create the title the very same day you get over 51% of the counties, because it seems like otherwise you're just handing the emperor the kingdom of sicily on a silver platter.
Yes, as long as the titles are not equal or greater than that of your liege - i.e. if you are a direct vassal of the HREmperor, creating a King-level title is fine but you cannot start your own empire until you are independent.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

nutranurse posted:

Come ~900 we'll see who is civilized when his longboats blot out the British sun.

"Well poo poo, the Vikings have flying longboats now, I guess we're truly hosed" -- British monk, c.a. 935 AD.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Is there a way to customize the various realm colors on the map? The dozens of shades of yellow-green and purplish are irritating me and this fractured muslim empire has like 14 separate dudes split off of it. I figured out how to see their forces finally, but I just want to glance across the levant and make a quick estimate of whats happening in the east when I'm babysitting my stuff in the west (which is just weird shades of purple as well).

kissekatt posted:

I haven't been following CK2 much, so does anyone mind telling me what the thread title is referring to?

I'll find it in a moment.

e;

Synnr posted:

And currently, despite being a gay, violent, possessed glutton who speaks in babbling tongues and is busy listening to jesus for war advice (and a satanic fish for spy advice??) while having an affair with my monk brother, my wife won't stop getting pregnant with daughters and I knocked up 2/3rds of my witch counselors. I know the MTTH is 500 years but i desperately want to be cucked by satan. I think my personal martial skill is like 50 and state martial 70 with a staggering 3 in diplomacy.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

"Well poo poo, the Vikings have flying longboats now, I guess we're truly hosed" -- British monk, c.a. 935 AD.

One of Paradox's unused CK2 DLC ideas is the Polar Invasion wherein the Norsemen make contact with their gods/aliens.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I'm curious how people are managing inheritance now that Elective (from what I hear) sucks. I guess the idea is go Ultimogeniture? Is there any reliable way to kill off unwanted kids now that the assassinate button is gone?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Mostly I just get used to the idea of waging war against my brothers.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Just did a viking raid with 17,500 retinue soldiers on 308 boats. :getin:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Volkerball posted:

Just did a viking raid with 17,500 retinue soldiers on 308 boats. :getin:

nutranurse posted:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Mongols can raid, can't they? It must be hilarious to conquer some seagoing area, perhaps the Byzantine Empire, and be able to load up like 500,00 horse archers onto boats for a "raiding party".

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Now that I think about it, if I'm already incurring an opinion penalty for having vassal levies raised when I use boats, I might as well use their soldiers too. 26k soldiers on 308 boats in the year 1027. I'll save that for tomorrow.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Bold Robot posted:

I'm curious how people are managing inheritance now that Elective (from what I hear) sucks. I guess the idea is go Ultimogeniture? Is there any reliable way to kill off unwanted kids now that the assassinate button is gone?

How exactly is Elective supposed to suck? I've used it for two full-length games and never once not been able to elect my chosen heir. That's with all patched, DLC, etc.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Man, expanding within the Byzantines is a bitch and a half with the new viceroyalty mechanics. Usually the Emperor isn't an rear end in a top hat and gives your theme to your heir, but if you manage to take another one he's sure to split them up when you die and unlike gavelkind, you only get a weak claim on the one you lost.

To make things worse, all of my counties are gavelkind and I can't switch to primogeniture until the Empire itself has high crown authority. Which I don't want because then us vassals can't fight each other.

On the other hand, the new Greek portraits are pretty slick, even if I like the old clothes/crowns better.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Martello posted:

How exactly is Elective supposed to suck? I've used it for two full-length games and never once not been able to elect my chosen heir. That's with all patched, DLC, etc.

:shrug: When Charlemagne came out, it seemed like the consensus was that it would pick some random relative a lot of the time, even if your vassals loved you. I haven't played shortly before CM so I don't know the specifics.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Bold Robot posted:

The Ai is so woefully poo poo, it would be a small feat for a player controlled Sicily to defeat the HRE at an opportune time.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

nutranurse posted:

One of Paradox's unused CK2 DLC ideas is the Polar Invasion wherein the Norsemen make contact with their gods/aliens.

Unused? Just reserved :cawg:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

nutranurse posted:

You're fighting in Britain. Shade is guaranteed.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone here play with the Historical Immersion Project mod?

There's an option in the installer to go with vanilla crusades or some scripted stuff that HIP does, but it's never explained what the difference is. What changes exactly? Also, I notice that troop numbers tend to be lower across the board in HIP...does this hold true for the hordes and aztecs that show up later? If so, are they generally weaker or tougher than in vanilla?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Anyone here play with the Historical Immersion Project mod?

There's an option in the installer to go with vanilla crusades or some scripted stuff that HIP does, but it's never explained what the difference is. What changes exactly? Also, I notice that troop numbers tend to be lower across the board in HIP...does this hold true for the hordes and aztecs that show up later? If so, are they generally weaker or tougher than in vanilla?

I dunno about the vanilla crusades, I don't think I've even seen a vanilla crusade in-game since CK2 was first released. Troop numbers for the hordes and aztecs have been rebalanced, yeah. They're tougher than vanilla not because of troop strength, though, but because HIP in general makes it harder to blob up in preparation for the mongols/aztecs.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Is it usual for every crusade to faceslam into the Fatimid wall? I don't think I've seen a single muslim rebellion all game, and both the Fatimids and the Seljuks have blobbed up like crazy while Western Europe at least sometimes get serious revolts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Modders, any idea what would cause CKII to CtD as soon as you start it? I think the latest update killed my mod and I can't figure out what's doing it.

• Locked thread