Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Opopanax posted:

Probably based on Agent Carter buzz

I think if anything positive reaction might hurt it, because now Sony can point to that and try to get more money and I doubt Marvel will budge

They have a god drat superheroine in Black Cat who could probably hold her own movie. I just can't imagine needing a woman lead and jumping to Aunt May.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

greatn posted:

They have a god drat superheroine in Black Cat who could probably hold her own movie. I just can't imagine needing a woman lead and jumping to Aunt May.

Plus, Agent Carter is a character who is established as an agent. They basically were like "we need an Agent Carter. Who is the only female character with name recognition that we have? Let's just make Spider-Man's kindly old aunt a femme fatale."

Nobody goes to see Aunt May be a spy. Because she's not. It's such a desperate, hacky "me too."

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I would watch an Aunt May movie if she was basically Mary Worth and Peter Parker was newspaper Spider-man. I would watch it so hard.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'd watch an Aunt May movie if they just used an old Murder She Wrote two-parter script and only changed the names

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Just make Aunt May a herald for Galactus

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

One thing that is alarming from those emails is Sony having the temerity to ask for approval power (in addition to seeing the script) over Captain America 3, and wanting to be able to use Marvel characters according to their own discretion. I think the last ten years have shown that no one in Sony should have influence over anything creatively. Their just a pus filled boil waiting to be lanced, at this point.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Those aren't really all that ridiculous as opening questions, which they were, and you've pretty severely distorted some of them.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 14, 2014

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
All these Spider-Man negotiations are really boring to me, though, I'd be more interested in the failed negotiations with Fox.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

All these Spider-Man negotiations are really boring to me, though, I'd be more interested in the failed negotiations with Fox.

Doesn't seem to be much that's interesting with that. Marvel wants Silver Surfer and Galactus in exchange for Daredevil, but Fox decided to let Daredevil go. Probably because they know they have plenty of X-Men characters already.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Dan Didio posted:

Yeah the Spider-Man ones are basically "we're attempting to do anything at all with the franchise to rebuild interest", maybe make him older, maybe younger.

The Fox 70's Daredevil idea, the various X-Men spin off attempts (especially the lead up to First Class failures) or Marvel's attempt to fire everybody at various points would be more interesting. .

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Riven posted:

Plus, Agent Carter is a character who is established as an agent. They basically were like "we need an Agent Carter. Who is the only female character with name recognition that we have? Let's just make Spider-Man's kindly old aunt a femme fatale."

Nobody goes to see Aunt May be a spy. Because she's not. It's such a desperate, hacky "me too."

It's especially jarring since Spider-Man's real parents were actually spies in the comics.

Actually, that reminds me, they could adapt Waid's Spider-Man:Family Business OGN. It has an adult Peter as the protagonist, plus Teresa Parker could be their new Agent Carter. Spies and Superheroics sounds like a winning combination if you ask me.

But I guess you'd need to do a lot of rejigging with the villains. Maybe take a cue from Spectacular Spider-Man and have Tombstone in place of the Kingpin, since he's probably tied up with Daredevil's rights. Might be pretty good.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

greatn posted:

I'm pretty sure they also have Silver Sable, just in case Movie Exec Superstition makes them think "Catwoman Mark II would obviously be a failure."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

reignonyourparade posted:

just in case Movie Exec Superstition makes them think "Catwoman Mark II would obviously be a failure."

Watching studio execs try to figure out what "the kids of today" want is like watching a dog trying to eat a slice of lemon and getting angry and confused that its mouth parts feel weird and hurty.
"God loving drat it, the polls said that kids like 'emo culture' and dancing so we gave them an emo dancing Peter Parker and the loving ingrates snubbed us! Those ungrateful fuckers!"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

More like the symbiote cured him of being emo, hence the dancing.

Spider-Man 3 is also still the highest-grossing movie of the 5 Sony made.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The MSJ posted:

More like the symbiote cured him of being emo, hence the dancing.

Spider-Man 3 is also still the highest-grossing movie of the 5 Sony made.

That was a combination of good will from the previous 2 and Venom being in it, in my view.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Spider man 3 made money because Spider man 2 was good. Amazing Spider Man didn't make money because Spider man 3 was bad. That's kind of how it works with superhero movies.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
How did Iron Man 3 make money then?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Because of the Avengers.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I really just don't think most people care about that poo poo. I think the general movie going audience probably overall liked IM2.

But IM3 was completely riding the Avengers wave. So was Cap 2 to some extent.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Because Iron Man 2 and the Avengers were good.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Sunday's Spider news

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...-in-capt-3.html

http://www.screengonzo.com/2014/12/14/scoop-a-meeting-of-the-minds-to-occur-between-marvel-sony-early-next-year/

quote:

One plan, according to the source, is that Marvel would include an after-credits stinger that would center on Spider-Man. As we can expect, filming for Captain America: Civil War is gearing up for a February/March start, so the timing would certainly fit to get something like this filmed. Our source tells us they are prepping 3 stages at Pinewood in anticipation of the Cap 3 project.

It appears that Feige is very pleased with the direction things are going in regards to a deal with Sony. As we know, Joe and Anthony Russo will be directing the third Captain America film, but they also plan on directing The Gray Man for Sony, before going on to (reportedly) direct Avengers: Infinity War. The plan, according to our insider, is that the Russo Brothers would then tackle a new Spider-Man trilogy, taking on directing and writing tasks. They don’t have anyone cast yet, but they certainly have a list of potentials they are going over once the deal is done.

Kevin Feige is very adamant about one thing: He wants Avi Arad out and Marvel seems to be backing him on this. Should this deal happen, Arad will be nowhere near the Spider-Man movies. However, Pascal and other Sony execs feel he’s a crucial part of the previous Spidey films and feel he needs to stick around.

quote:

“I really feel, in my heart of hearts, that the new spiderman [sic] in cap 3 could just appear in his own film, be it sinister six or a kick rear end spidey film of his own, after that intro in cap 3 and people would be cool with it,” wrote De Luca.

And that’s not all. An email dated September 20, 2014, from De Luca to Pascal discusses plans for not only a “female spidey movie,” but an Avengers-like superhero extravaganza incorporating characters from different upcoming Spider-Man-related projects—in an attempt to emulate what De Luca reveals is a planned Fox crossover of the X-Men and Fantastic Four teams (X-Men: Apocalypse is due in 2016, while The Fantastic Four hits theaters in 2015).

“[Simon] Kinberg told me fox is steering Xmen and Fantastic Four into an eventual team up film,” wrote De Luca. “Seems to me maybe, since the Spider-man universe itself is deep, you guys should look at sinister six, new spidey, female movie and venom as linked pieces leading to eventual mega movie ala Feige and Fox and not stand alone single films. It's early in all these and you can still map out a blueprint for connective tissue.”

An October 21 email from De Luca to Pascal also (potentially) revealed some directors for upcoming superhero films, many of which aren’t even set up at Sony, including Jeff Nichols (Mud) as director of Aquaman, and plans for Phil Lord and Chris Miller (The LEGO Movie) to helm a The Amazing Spider-Man 3 in 2018.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Interesting if true. Also, yay for Arad being given the boot. It's also neat to get some tidbits from other studios, as well.

The Russos on Spidey would be absolutely magnificent.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

Interesting if true. Also, yay for Arad being given the boot. It's also neat to get some tidbits from other studios, as well.

The Russos on Spidey would be absolutely magnificent.

And they worked with Donald Glover on Community quite a bit!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The article also says that Marvel and Sony have a meeting planned in January. I think this is leading to Spidey showing up in Cap 3 after all.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If that New Avengers stinger turns out to be true that's a pretty logical place for Spidey to show up

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Ugh. Just when fox was starting to steer x-men back to palatable territory, hey decide their superhero team isn't team-y enough and shove the f4 down our throats.

News flash: literally no one likes both the x men and the fantastic four. Keep that poo poo out of the x films. You are a dog. These teams don't even fit.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I like them both, but I still think it's really damned stupid to try and mash them together just because. There are more than enough mutants to feed the team need.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I enjoy both, but I also agree that out of any combination of Marvel's four pillar franchises (Avengers, Spider-Man, X-Men, F4) those two are the least compatible with each other.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Just reverse-Pietro them in as a stretchy mutant, fire mutant, invisible mutant, and rock mutant.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Doom is gonna leak some naked pictures of Mystique to bring the two teams together.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Unless they make an super powered Adventures In Babysitting starring X-23 and the Richards kids.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dacap posted:

I enjoy both, but I also agree that out of any combination of Marvel's four pillar franchises (Avengers, Spider-Man, X-Men, F4) those two are the least compatible with each other.

I want to see this happen. :pray:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dacap posted:

If not handled carefully it would come off quite tone-deaf and make the FF look really pompous and pampered. Mutants, the hated and hunted minority group du jour meeting (battling) the gorgeous rich celebrated adventurers? Yeesh.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I usually try to avoid hollywood rumors, but please, please let this happen.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

prefect posted:

I want to see this happen. :pray:

I think Wolverine comments shortly after that that the X-Men are lucky Spidey doesn't kill because he could've killed every single one of them. One of my favorite Spidey fight scenes and shows that while he isn't always the fastest or strongest or most agile out there, his unique combination of abilities, spider sense, and his unorthodox fighting style makes him an unpredictable foe.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

notthegoatseguy posted:

I think Wolverine comments shortly after that that the X-Men are lucky Spidey doesn't kill because he could've killed every single one of them. One of my favorite Spidey fight scenes and shows that while he isn't always the fastest or strongest or most agile out there, his unique combination of abilities, spider sense, and his unorthodox fighting style makes him an unpredictable foe.

I vaguely remember a comic where someone (Wolverine?) is trying to prevent Spiderman from escaping something and his internal monologue is basically how screwed he is because Spiderman has gone up against guys like the Hulk and the Juggernaut and nobody has ever managed to squish the bug.

If they ever do get Spiderman in one of the Avengers movies it'd be great to have a Spidey-fan pandering scene where he basically clowns the entire team.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 15, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Away all Goats posted:

I vaguely remember a comic where someone (Wolverine?) is trying to prevent Spiderman from escaping something and his internal monologue is basically how screwed he is because Spiderman has gone up against guys like the Hulk and the Juggernaut and nobody has ever managed to squish the bug.

It's Marvel Universe vs. Wolverine when Spider-Man is basically Patient Zero of the Rage Virus from 28 Days Later.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Dec 15, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Opopanax posted:

If that New Avengers stinger turns out to be true that's a pretty logical place for Spidey to show up

Wait what?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Rumours are that Avengers 2 ends with a "here's the new team" and introduces a bunch of new characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

All these rumours sound really dumb, I wish they weren't doing Civil War in Cap 3.

• Locked thread