Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Stux posted:

does it have simulated surround sound? if so: pure trash

Stux is an expert on headsets I mean look at his avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Real hurthling! posted:

id say they should rerelease like the ds with more buttons but lol. no way

we'll just have to wait for sony cell phones and tablets to go bankrupt so they enable remote play via ds4 on hardware someone might actually want to own

Aren't you able to use a DS4 to play games on an iPad?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Stux posted:

does it have simulated surround sound? if so: pure trash

It also has a stereo option :monocle:

It sounds pretty drat good. Situational awareness works great in multiplayer games. Don't knock it till you try it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BisterdDave posted:

Aren't you able to use a DS4 to play games on an iPad?

can you? i thought remote play was just with their stuff

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 15, 2014

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Real hurthling! posted:

can you? i thought it was just their stuff

Looking it up, this is definitely a feature in recent versions of iOS. I remember seeing a video of someone playing San Andreas on their iPad using a DS4.

edit: My mistake, seems like it's a feature for devices that have Cydia installed (jailbreak).

BisterdDave fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 15, 2014

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BisterdDave posted:

Looking it up, this is definitely a feature in recent versions of iOS. I remember seeing a video of someone playing San Andreas on their iPad using a DS4.

ipad might have controller support for games but streaming games from your ps4 is something that you need an experia model for or so i've been told.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

It also has a stereo option :monocle:

It sounds pretty drat good. Situational awareness works great in multiplayer games. Don't knock it till you try it.

a set of good headphones with solid stereo imaging will give you better sound placement than some stupid fake surround sound implementation

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
Your sound is not real enough to beat the game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Well I guess I'll just throw these things in the garbage where they belong then.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Real hurthling! posted:

ipad might have controller support for games but streaming games from your ps4 is something that you need an experia model for or so i've been told.

Isn't Sony canning their TV and phone divisions, though? I feel like in a year or two we'll be able to remote play from iPads and maybe even computers.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Stux posted:

please get a decent set of stereo headphones and not simulated surround sound ones. also headphones not stupid "gamer" headsets

haha eat poo poo, rube

the pulse elite is the best bunch of bucks i've spent in years

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Bass Bottles posted:

Isn't Sony canning their TV and phone divisions, though? I feel like in a year or two we'll be able to remote play from iPads and maybe even computers.

Not canning, just scaling back models. I'd be happy if they just did a single Z flagship phone line and Bravia TVs.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Reverse Centaur posted:

Not canning, just scaling back models. I'd be happy if they just did a single Z flagship phone line and Bravia TVs.

They're selling off their TV and computer divisions though. They have said that they're going to a yearly release cycle on their phones instead of the 6 months they've been doing.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Not sure if I'm digging The Evil Within or not. On chapter 4 and apparently I have been missing a poo poo load of stuff because the game is so loving dark and the camera is parked up your rear end. I'm mostly mad that I missed a health kit that upgrades your health.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 15, 2014

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Stux posted:

a set of good headphones with solid stereo imaging will give you better sound placement than some stupid fake surround sound implementation

While this is true, Sony Gold manage the wireless thing with a genuinely decent sound quality, no static, and the virtual surround can be turned off. All at the unbeatable sale price of 50-60 depending. They're not the best headphones ever but they're one of the best at that price point.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
The pair I had must have been defective or something cause they sounded horrible and the mic was poo poo. I returned them even though they were only $50. They sounded way worse than my $15 set of KSC-75s.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Still waiting for a bluetooth mic patch that'll never come so I can dust off my Turtle Beach PX5s

The Sony Gold ones work well enough but they're not as good as everyone says imo. PX5s were much better

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BGrifter posted:

The pair I had must have been defective or something cause they sounded horrible and the mic was poo poo. I returned them even though they were only $50. They sounded way worse than my $15 set of KSC-75s.

Fwiw my buddy said the same thing and swapped them out for a new pair and he loves them now. There must be some bad ones floating around.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Christoff posted:

Still waiting for a bluetooth mic patch that'll never come so I can dust off my Turtle Beach PX5s

The Sony Gold ones work well enough but they're not as good as everyone says imo. PX5s were much better

Im in the same boat, sure I could just buy a 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable and run it through the contoller but the cable being positioned in the bottom make it wierd to hold.

Thats the one thing I think they should have done differently on the ds4, have the headphone jack at the top.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
How do you price match something. Just print the webpage and bring it into the store? Also can someone give me a zipcode where sears actually has the controllers in stock.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

NESguerilla posted:

Fwiw my buddy said the same thing and swapped them out for a new pair and he loves them now. There must be some bad ones floating around.

If they didn't monopolize a USB port I'd give another pair a try next time they went on sale for $50.

I was pretty blown away by how terrible they sounded while the thread was raving about them. I'm not some sort of hardcore audiophile sperg but plugging my iPhone earbuds into the controller yielded better sound quality. Makes sense they were probably just defective.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.

Athenry posted:

They're selling off their TV and computer divisions though. They have said that they're going to a yearly release cycle on their phones instead of the 6 months they've been doing.

This is a pity. My current TV is a Sony from 2013 and the previous was a Sony from 2008, both have been excellent for games. When I was doing a bit of research about which TV to buy for primarily console gaming, the input lag differences between different makes and models were absolutely insane.

I ended up buying a Bravia because in addition to it being pretty good in all relevant aspects, it's got measured input lag of around 7ms, which is pretty impressive for a 55" LCD. Comparable models from Samsung and LG in the same price range had both more than 40ms even in best case scenarios, game modes enabled and all. I can't play even FIFA properly with that much input lag, let alone shooters. I'm betting quite a few people playing first person shooters online are unknowingly gimping themselves with their slow rear end screens.

Not trying to start a huge derail, but what TV manufacturers are popular in North America, and are they equally bad with input lag? I would guess more than 90 percent of TVs sold in Scandinavia are either Samsung, LG, Sony or Philips, and out of those only Sony seems to get input lag constantly right.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Just beat Lara Croft. The story is hokey as poo poo but the gameplay is great. Truth be told, this 4 player game plays totally fine alone. (I played one level with someone and the rest alone.) Depending on what is on offer, I may even opt for the season pass.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Follow That Fish! posted:

This is a pity. My current TV is a Sony from 2013 and the previous was a Sony from 2008, both have been excellent for games. When I was doing a bit of research about which TV to buy for primarily console gaming, the input lag differences between different makes and models were absolutely insane.

I ended up buying a Bravia because in addition to it being pretty good in all relevant aspects, it's got measured input lag of around 7ms, which is pretty impressive for a 55" LCD. Comparable models from Samsung and LG in the same price range had both more than 40ms even in best case scenarios, game modes enabled and all. I can't play even FIFA properly with that much input lag, let alone shooters. I'm betting quite a few people playing first person shooters online are unknowingly gimping themselves with their slow rear end screens.

Not trying to start a huge derail, but what TV manufacturers are popular in North America, and are they equally bad with input lag? I would guess more than 90 percent of TVs sold in Scandinavia are either Samsung, LG, Sony or Philips, and out of those only Sony seems to get input lag constantly right.

I did research when buying a new tv (and ended up going with a new model of Phillips that wasn't on the site I was using, but it works great), and it really just depends on the model more than the make. Manufacturers seemed to have different input lag across their brand, it didn't seem like a problem by the brands.

I've had good luck with Vizio's and my Phillips. A buddy was one of the people you were describing, but after I walked him through how to turn it to Game mode and "fixed" his controller, he commented on how he was dying more in Black Ops since he had gotten used to the lag. I dunno if he ever went back to the lag or not, though.

Another friend has a massive 60" Vizio that I feel lag on no matter what options I select in the menus, but neither my 32" or 42" models from Vizio have that problem. It really just depends.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

Not sure if I'm digging The Evil Within or not. On chapter 4 and apparently I have been missing a poo poo load of stuff because the game is so loving dark and the camera is parked up your rear end. I'm mostly mad that I missed a health kit that upgrades your health.

I'm on chapter 7 and I'm still not sure if I like it either. I do want to continue playing so at least it has captured my interest, now even more so because chapter 6 was a bit of a scenery change. It's janky and yeah, that FOV is ridiculous. Sometimes you can't pick up something that would be in full frame in other games because it's out of the tiny rear end FOV and the icon doesn't appear.

I don't know if they have done anything but I am also not seeing a lot of those horrible framerates people warned about. It dips in spots and it really shouldn't with that rendering area and it's not like it's some sort of a graphical powerhouse. It does have some pretty nice lighting, though - the way they blend shadows with the normal maps so the shadows follow the bumps and dips is pretty cool (I think STALKER does it too?) and I can't remember the last time a console game had light shafts that didn't disappear when the light source was out of view and you can see yourself cast a nice volumetric shadow (obviously these could be in any game).

gently caress megatextures.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just tried out Secret Ponchos and I don't think I've ever deleted a game so fast.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I've gotten a ton of indies for ps4 and vita over the past like 5 months or so and I'm not even sure which ones are worth playing. Yeah ok Spenlunky ans Binding of Isaac. I get it

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

NESguerilla posted:

Just tried out Secret Ponchos and I don't think I've ever deleted a game so fast.

Yeah, it's awful. I don't even know what it's supposed to be. A competitive shooter? A MOBA?

It just degenerates into everyone running around like morons and shooting ineffectually at each other.

Also, Evil Within is hot garbage.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Christoff posted:

I've gotten a ton of indies for ps4 and vita over the past like 5 months or so and I'm not even sure which ones are worth playing. Yeah ok Spenlunky ans Binding of Isaac. I get it

pix the cat is 100% worth playing as well

I'd have completely missed out on it if i didn't get it for free, and that's sad.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Think I got that on my vita I'll check it out

Also

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (PS4 or Xbox One) $20 Amazon - http://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/139894

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.
If you're in the UK and want the opportunity to buy one of those Anniversary Edition PS4s, you better be ready to jump through some hoops:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ign=socialoomph

quote:

First off, you have to follow @PlayStationUK or @GAMEDigital on Twitter.

Then, from 11am today, you have to visit the PlayStation website and study an image that contains over 300 characters from PlayStation history. "Study the image well and make sure you know your PlayStation characters," Sony says.

Then, at an allocated time each day, both those Twitter accounts will tweet a clue using the hashtag #20YearsOfCharacters. You have to solve the clue, find the character it corresponds to and click it. If you're right, you get a link that takes you to a "secret" GAME website.

There you fill out a form. If you're one of the first 100 people to submit, you get an email from GAME within 24 hours of the link going live telling you how to buy the console.

New stock will be allocated every day from Monday to Friday this week, so there are five chances to be in with a chance to buy the console.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Catman Begins posted:

If you're in the UK and want the opportunity to buy one of those Anniversary Edition PS4s, you better be ready to jump through some hoops:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ign=socialoomph

Just 300? A biggish EC2 instance and 300*x phantomJS processes polling the poo poo out of said image is all you would need to continuously monitor said image and check the page behind each character.

edit: oh, nevermind i guess this won't really work. The makeup of said page to click on the "correct" character is unknown.

crazysim fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Dec 15, 2014

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Real hurthling! posted:

It would be great if you could just use your PS4 controller and play the vita, cause seriously, that back panel is ruining nearly every game I want to play because most games default to the back triggers. The stupid Vita itself should let you swap the triggers around, not leave it up to the games to provide.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

Well I guess I'll just throw these things in the garbage where they belong then.

glad i could help

second-hand smegma posted:

haha eat poo poo, rube

the pulse elite is the best bunch of bucks i've spent in years

I'm the rube when you're buying Elite Gamer Headsets despite headphones being a well developed technology for years and years now

BGrifter posted:

gamer orientated headsets sound like poo poo as you discovered when compared to even a semi-competent set of headphones let alone something from the same price range.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Your probably just mad they don't fit over your hot dog shaped head. I guess earbuds are your only option.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Harton posted:

Your probably just mad they don't fit over your hot dog shaped head. I guess earbuds are your only option.

lol earbuds what am i a peasant? big old pair of decent headphones forever.

gaming headsets are the beats of the gaming world.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I agree with you but I need a mic for that hot steamy chat action. Unless I can hook up my Shure 58 somehow and go full dick in hand I'm at the mercy of the golds.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Harton posted:

I agree with you but I need a mic for that hot steamy chat action. Unless I can hook up my Shure 58 somehow and go full dick in hand I'm at the mercy of the golds.

use a splitter to separate out the mic and headphone inputs, plug headphones into headphone input, grab xlr to 3.5mm cable and plug in sm58. job done.

might want to put a 3.5mm extension in-between the ds4 and splitter so you don't have too much stuff hanging directly off it obviously

Stux fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Dec 15, 2014

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
See that just seems like a bunch of convoluted nonsense so I can have "higher quality sound" like some kinda audiophile douchebag though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

FishBulb posted:

See that just seems like a bunch of convoluted nonsense so I can have "higher quality sound" like some kinda audiophile douchebag though...

well to use proper headphones and a normal mic all you need is a splitter, which is like a couple of dollars. then you just plug in headphones and mic separately like you would on a pc. harton asked about using a proper microphone as well and so i just laid out how you could do it if you could be bothered. also a shure sm58 isn't an "audiophile" thing, its just a good and cheap recording mic.

there is a difference between audiophile (which would involve all sorts of dumb poo poo like valve amps and $100 cables) and just wanting good sound quality.

• Locked thread