Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sampatrick posted:

Somehow it manages to be worse than Revelation mirrors. This is the worst standard I've ever seen.

This UW control deck isn't really played a lot. I'll agree with you if it is though. It's awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
133 minute match with potentially 2 more games to go.

I think we're just completely skipping the Standard Open Top 8.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

I can't be the only one who's really enjoying this am I? Jim Davis is playing REALLY tight and it's interesting to watch.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

mcmagic posted:

This UW control deck isn't really played a lot. I'll agree with you if it is though. It's awful.

This deck plays almost the same as the UB control deck, which is played a decent amount. Between the two of them and the Whip mirror matches, ridiculously long matches are becoming quite common in this standard. I blame WotC for not printing cards to make decks actually powerful.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

This is one of those matches I'm tuning into every fifteen to twenty minutes, really.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Mods please change my name to this image:

Joopjan
Nov 5, 2009
Chapin is so good at doing these casts. Wish his contract would have been extended

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Has that control match ended yet?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Joopjan posted:

Chapin is so good at doing these casts. Wish his contract would have been extended

He brings a certain sense of humor and fun that the others don't really have. No one else asks questions like "what would it be like if everyone just had to shuffle their standard and legacy decks together and play?" a propos of nothing.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Joopjan posted:

Yeah, his quips are the best. When Davis mulligan-ed to 4 and then actually managed to stabilize for a turn or two, Chapin's deadpan "Do you see that Cedric? He moves like they do!" got a good laugh out of both Cedric and myself.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Got this in the mail in a toploader today.

Whoops...

Signed up a while ago and was trying to see if I could get a bunch of Temur islands from KTK in foil. Unfortunately no foil with a free account so I lost interest. Accidentally left a trade up, I guess.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

He brings a certain sense of humor and fun that the others don't really have. No one else asks questions like "what would it be like if everyone just had to shuffle their standard and legacy decks together and play?" a propos of nothing.

He'd fit in byob or the funny magic/nerd GBS threads that's for sure. If only we had more humor like that here.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Joopjan posted:

So much this. He manages to fill the gaps in the game with funny/interesting bits, but it doesn't overshadow the game, and I don't think I've ever heard him talk over anything important. And, as one of the world's best players period, he's able to see more lines of play than the rest of the team. Maybe I just find him very likeable overall as a person, I dunno, but I think he really is the best at coverage, and his combo (:v) with Cedric Phillips is just great, I love their banter. :allears:

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Just ventured into Modern today. I made a Mono-U Ninja/Fairy deck and it's the most fun I've had with MTG in a long time

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Serperoth posted:

So much this. He manages to fill the gaps in the game with funny/interesting bits, but it doesn't overshadow the game, and I don't think I've ever heard him talk over anything important. And, as one of the world's best players period, he's able to see more lines of play than the rest of the team. Maybe I just find him very likeable overall as a person, I dunno, but I think he really is the best at coverage, and his combo (:v) with Cedric Phillips is just great, I love their banter. :allears:

Don't forget Sullivan. He's extremely good too.

Gotta root for Dan Jessup here. 1. Dylan is already in the Players champ and Jessup isn't and 2. He would knock Stephen Mann out.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 15, 2014

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

odiv posted:

Got this in the mail in a toploader today.

Whoops...

Signed up a while ago and was trying to see if I could get a bunch of Temur islands from KTK in foil. Unfortunately no foil with a free account so I lost interest. Accidentally left a trade up, I guess.

Joke's on them: they probably spent more on the toploader and postage than the card is worth in points.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

SierraNovember posted:

Oh I completely agree, it was incredibly harsh but as far as I was aware, that's how the rules worked. I wouldn't have thought people would rage quit over it though.

A good rule of thumb if you've only been playing for 2 months is to assume everything you think about Magic rules is probably wrong.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Just ventured into Modern today. I made a Mono-U Ninja/Fairy deck and it's the most fun I've had with MTG in a long time

Swing with Spellstutter Sprite, Ninjujitsu in Ninja of the Deep Hours, flash back Spellstutter Sprite to counter the incoming Path to Exile?

Sounds pretty rad, actually.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Count Bleck posted:

Swing with Spellstutter Sprite, Ninjujitsu in Ninja of the Deep Hours, flash back Spellstutter Sprite to counter the incoming Path to Exile?

Sounds pretty rad, actually.

this....or flash in quickling and remove whatever target damage/removal spell is cast.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

What are the chances the Jeskai Tokens player's 3 cards in hand are Negate, Stroke, Stroke?

Awesome.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Triple Jeskai Ascendancy on stream. Incredible.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Jeskai Ascendancy is doing a great job of ruining every format.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Jessup topdecked like poo poo. He was 1 card away from winning for like 5 turns and drew nothing but lands and manadorks.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Ramos posted:

Triple Jeskai Ascendancy on stream. Incredible.

drat that was a lot of damage on the last turn.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I love you, Jeskai Ascendancy

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Angry Grimace posted:

Jeskai Ascendancy is doing a great job of ruining every format.

I play Abzan Midrange and I honestly can't hate on the Ascendancy deck. It's slick as hell, and it's really consistent without being a Jund-esque level of "pile of good stuff."

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Jessup topdecked like poo poo. He was 1 card away from winning for like 5 turns and drew nothing but lands and manadorks.

Makes up for all of those double and triple mulligan's his white blue control opponent got in the quarter finals.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Boxman posted:

I play Abzan Midrange and I honestly can't hate on the Ascendancy deck. It's slick as hell, and it's really consistent without being a Jund-esque level of "pile of good stuff."

Now it's the Abzan decks that are piles of good stuff. :v:

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Wonder how that Invitational trophy feels in person. It looks kind of cheap as poo poo - unsure what I'm basing that off of.

It's sweet that Watanabe's deck seems to have solved Standard.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

The 10k in cash probably makes up for a lovely trophy

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Wonder how that Invitational trophy feels in person. It looks kind of cheap as poo poo - unsure what I'm basing that off of.

It's sweet that Watanabe's deck seems to have solved Standard.

What trophies aren't made of lovely plastic nowadays? You practically have to win the Olympics to get a medallion made of some sort of cheap metal.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

You could spend the extra ten bucks on casting it out of decent plastic, though? There are plastics that feel nice to the touch.

I bet SCG trophies feel like dollar store knock off toys. All sharp and crusty.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

cheetah7071 posted:

To everyone complaining about layers, the way layers work is that 99% of the time everything does exactly what you expect. The remaining 1% of the time, it's impossible to deviate from expectations because the complications are so complex you don't know what to expect.

Yeah, honestly the way gaining and losing evasion mid-combat works is FAR worse than layers. I lost a game to flipping up that guy with morph and unblockable thinking it'd let him through and it didn't... grr.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Keiya posted:

Yeah, honestly the way gaining and losing evasion mid-combat works is FAR worse than layers. I lost a game to flipping up that guy with morph and unblockable thinking it'd let him through and it didn't... grr.

That's actually a really simple rule. If they've already blocked him, then that's it, he's blocked. You can unmorph him before they block so they can't block it, but once he's blocked, that's it.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Dr. Stab posted:

That's actually a really simple rule. If they've already blocked him, then that's it, he's blocked. You can unmorph him before they block so they can't block it, but once he's blocked, that's it.

To be fair, it's simple because it's an easy to understand rule once it's been explained to you the first time it comes up after you messed up an attack due to it. Intuitively, to a new player, it's perfectly reasonable to expect giving a guy flying after he's been blocked would allow him to "jump" over the blocker and still deal damage.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Jeskai Ascendancy is just an ugly mess of triggers. Regardless of power level, I'm not sure how that thing got printed.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Equilibrium posted:

Jeskai Ascendancy is just an ugly mess of triggers. Regardless of power level, I'm not sure how that thing got printed.

It's the coolest card printed in the last 5-6 years is how.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

I Love You! posted:

It's the coolest card printed in the last 5-6 years is how.

This, that card loving rules and we need 20 more like it.

E: playable engine cards own own own

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
Its too bad ive yet to see somebody loot into a stoke before untapping trigger goes off, then use the stoke in response to the untap trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheKingofSprings posted:

This, that card loving rules and we need 20 more like it.

E: playable engine cards own own own

I wish Jeskai Ascendancy could be my Commander.

• Locked thread