Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

quote:

Radio guy Hadley called hostage inside the cafe

HADLEY confirms he is speaking to a hostage inside the cafe. He says the gunman is listening to multiple radio stations inside the cafe.

HADLEY says the gunman wanted the hostage to talk LIVE on the air. Hadley says he will not do that because he is not a trained negotiator.

HADLEY has been asked to call the mans phone again at 1:30pm. He says he could hear the gunman yelling orders to the hostage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Fred Nile taking Islam terror selfies apparently

MaxwellsEquations
Oct 21, 2010

He achieved greatness unequalled
-Max Planck
Jesus Christ, Ray Hadley is actually semi doing the right thing:
https://twitter.com/PMOnAir

Apparently a hostage called 2GB and asked for the hostage taker to be put on live. Christ

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

*turns radio on*
"-orking their way up to radical jihad, or another option is to scare the population."
*turns radio off*

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
It doesn't really surprise me that an Islamic extremist is a listener of Ray Hadley

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

MYEFO: Debt set to hit $499b, income tax receipts down $8.6b, company tax down $14.4b

e; Growth forecast: Bullish growth forecast across forward estimates: 2.5%, 3%, 3.5%, 3.5%.

(optimistic as gently caress)

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
So it's confirmed Islamic at this point according to some radio show phone call?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Anidav posted:

So it's confirmed Islamic at this point according to some radio show phone call?

Well if the flag in Arabic wasn't already a bit of a give away....

No no could be the IRA.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Gridlocked posted:

I feel really bad for wanting to go now because of that sign.

Don't, I'm pretty much adding it to my to do list while I'm in Sydney over xmas.

Squibidyflop
Jul 30, 2013

Anidav posted:

Isn't it confirmed Islamic by the Islamic flag in the window?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Gridlocked posted:

Well if the flag in Arabic wasn't already a bit of a give away....

No no could be the IRA.

just because they fly an arabic flag does not mean that they are arabic or even muslim

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
You can't bury MYFEO, it's too big and will be a part of public debate for months to come regardless of what happens in Martin Place. It'd be like trying to bury the budget.

Pyramid Scheme
May 21, 2007

bell jar posted:

just because they fly an arabic flag does not mean that they are arabic or even muslim

Can we call it an Islamic flavoured event, then?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

bell jar posted:

It's the New IRA man.

They're back.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010
Press conference now with the Premier and police commissioner.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You can't bury MYFEO, it's too big and will be a part of public debate for months to come regardless of what happens in Martin Place. It'd be like trying to bury the budget.

Irrespective of whether it gets buried or not, the second budget comes out in less than 6 months. The news in it will likely be even worse.

EDIT: My ex basically lives in that Lindt cafe and apparently was on her way for when things started to go down. Timing!

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010
Stay out of Martin Place. Stay vigilant. Stay patient.
"At least" one offender, armed, some undisclosed number of hostages.
Still determining motivation and origin of suspect(s).
Not tagging it as terrorism but have moved to a footing consistent with a terrorism event and they're not ruling it out.
Haven't got contact with the offender.
Can't confirm any hostages are communicating with media (i.e. Hadley).

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

This is terrible news and I hope the hostages all make it out okay :ohdear:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Murodese posted:

MYEFO: Debt set to hit $499b, income tax receipts down $8.6b, company tax down $14.4b

e; Growth forecast: Bullish growth forecast across forward estimates: 2.5%, 3%, 3.5%, 3.5%.

(optimistic as gently caress)

According to wikipedia:

"As of 28 February 2014, the gross Australian government debt was A$300,628 million"

So we're jumping from $300billion to $500billion in the space of two years.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Rapner posted:

A second Abbott term is more of a threat to Australia than this hostage situation, honestly.

what the gently caress is this

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Yeah, this forum isn't helping me right now, I'll log back in when this is over.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They're a lovely loving bunch of assholes all round.

quote:

On Monday, Buzzfeed broke a story suggesting that Uber’s senior vice president of business, Emil Michael, had mentioned at a very fancy dinner that Uber’s plans to counter any bad press against the company was to spend a “million dollars” to hire researchers to look into the personal lives of journalists and their families and give the media a taste of their own medicine.
In other words, he’d blackmail the press into providing only favorable coverage for the taxi service app, which is apparently worth $25 billion.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Leo Showers posted:

what the gently caress is this

Blunt truth.

This situation is horrible and tragic but will do less damage to society over time than Tories being Tories.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Cant wait to hear the spin come out of Joe's mouth.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Joe Hockey, known fat bastard, apparently very familiar with Lindt cafe / eating chocolates

Rapner
May 7, 2013

"Let's please answer any technical questions offline thanks."

Haha, running before he even delivers anything.

cpaf posted:

Joe Hockey, known fat bastard, apparently very familiar with Lindt cafe / eating chocolates

Also holding people's future hostage and terrifying the Australian public.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
News Limited(?) reporter who was sitting outside the cafe yapping away on his phone and missed the story of the year that was going on inside and didn't notice it till the Police arrived.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

cpaf posted:

Did he just make a fat joke at his own expense?

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Let's not forget the true victim of today: Hockey's suit.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Rapner posted:

Blunt truth.

This situation is horrible and tragic but will do less damage to society over time than Tories being Tories.

it's pretty hosed up that you would rather a hostage situation, tbh

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

ShoeFly posted:

Did he just make a fat joke at his own expense?

He seemed solemn I think he was referring to being familiar with the area.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Comstar posted:

News Limited(?) reporter who was sitting outside the cafe yapping away on his phone and missed the story of the year that was going on inside and didn't notice it till the Police arrived.

It was the dogfucker :lol:

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

RIP MYEFO on ABC24. Line just went down.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Leo Showers posted:

is it

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

bell jar posted:

Yes, the flag with a declaration of faith about Islam and the prophet Mohammed might just be being used ironically by a millennial hostage taker.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

No negative impact on the Australian economy. *long pause, glances up at camera through eyebrows*

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Spin, Hockey, spin!

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

dusty posted:

Yes, the flag with a declaration of faith about Islam and the prophet Mohammed might just be being used ironically by a millennial hostage taker.

Hipster beard or islamic fundamentalist beard - the fun new facebook game of 2015

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Leo Showers posted:

I'd rather have neither of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Murodese posted:

RIP MYEFO on ABC24. Line just went down.

Still working for me, you're really missing out on Joe blaming external forces / Senate / previous Labor government.

Also still blissfully ignorant of the tremendous irony of the claim that the unexpected excess defence expenditure is offset by cutting foreign aid and that being a thing is perfectly fine and desirable

• Locked thread