Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
China scoot speedometers are way more optimistic than that. Dude at work had a 4 stroke TaoTao 50 that he said would constantly peg 50 MPH. The old 2 stroke 50s could *maybe* reach 45 unrestricted. There is no way it's going that fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I dig the trailtech unit but I want something that replaces all my gauges, which means I need something that can read from my fuel gauge sender.

My last scoot was a 50cc 2t and that thing was slowwwwww and loudddddddd. Fun though, it had offroad-ish tires and I would take it to abandoned factories and railyards to explore.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
2 strokes make way more power than 4 stroke equivalent, you can get 20HP on a 70cc minarelli block while I'd be impressed if you could get half that with a 4t

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Gonna repost this. I'm using dual Koso DL gauges.

http://instagram.com/p/kub-9xS6B_/

You'd probably only need the one I'm using on the left which has the speedometer, odometer and fuel level.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Gonna repost this. I'm using dual Koso DL gauges.

http://instagram.com/p/kub-9xS6B_/

You'd probably only need the one I'm using on the left which has the speedometer, odometer and fuel level.

Ok yeah I need that.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
So which variator weights should I toss in, 5.5 or 7? Stock is 12 I believe. Also how do I do the sharpie trick, do I just draw a line up the variator face?

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

12 gram rollers sounds way high. You're going to lose in top speed what you gain in acceleration. Also I recommend you do the marker thing first (as you described accurately) to see how far your belt travels upward currently.

These guys have been rather helpful with my China scoot questions in the past.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
So Just priced out a build with:
80cc BBK
performance carb with #91 jet
performance exhaust
intake
HOCA Cam
Performance CDI
...and ten main jets to play around with

$264

I think I know what I'm doing with my christmas money.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

revmoo posted:

So Just priced out a build with:
80cc BBK
performance carb with #91 jet
performance exhaust
intake
HOCA Cam
Performance CDI
...and ten main jets to play around with

$264

I think I know what I'm doing with my christmas money.

No transmission stuff? I'd start with that if you haven't ordered any already, you'll end up needing it to get the most out of that other stuff anyway.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

No transmission stuff? I'd start with that if you haven't ordered any already, you'll end up needing it to get the most out of that other stuff anyway.

Seriously.

You'll want to get a variator kit and maybe a taller final drive.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I already bought a variator kit it was supposed to arrive a couple days ago actually.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Is an 85 honda elite 250 a bad idea? I'm a hefty guy in a hilly area so I need a bigger engine. I worked in a vintage shop rebuilding honda cb's for a year so I think I'd be ok mechanically. How are they as far as parts availability? I found one nearby in decent shape, I think I can get a decent price on it.

E: It's this guy: http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/mcy/4763908326.html

I think he might be asking too much considering it's winter. I've worked on metros before so it should be easy enough. Famous last words.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 15, 2014

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

red19fire posted:

Is an 85 honda elite 250 a bad idea? I'm a hefty guy in a hilly area so I need a bigger engine. I worked in a vintage shop rebuilding honda cb's for a year so I think I'd be ok mechanically. How are they as far as parts availability? I found one nearby in decent shape, I think I can get a decent price on it.

Engine/drivetrain parts carry over with the Helix, which was made forever, so they're easy to find. I think Elite-specific parts, at least body panels, are scarce, however.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
And god help you if you want your pop-up headlight to function as intended, if yours is from those model years.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

The Orange Mage posted:

And god help you if you want your pop-up headlight to function as intended, if yours is from those model years.

I don't think the 250 ever had a pop up headlamp.

It's a great bike but that's a bit pricy. We got ours for $600 from the original owner in great shape with topcase and windshield - if you're patient a deal will come up eventually.

This site has a lot of useful info including what unique parts you should stock up on http://www.ch250.net

cheesebot fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 15, 2014

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

cheesebot posted:

I don't think the 250 ever had a pop up headlamp.

You're right, it was the 125 and 150, not sure how that slipped my mind.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I hope you guys don't mind. I just bought what is going to be my DD for the next 9 months, and figured I'd share it in a relevant thread since I like bullshitting about things with engines.

It's a 1999 Kymco Jockey 125. Picked it up from a dealer for NT$11,000. I've already run it up a mountainside this past weekend (love the loss of power at higher altitudes, makes passing tour buses all that more "fun"). Anyways, what are some things you guys do to get just a bit more fun out of your scooters? Seeing as I bought this in the domestic market, parts aplenty here.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

A variator kit will give you a few km/h in top speed and slightly better acceleration and won't cost much.

If you want to get serious then the sky's the limit, Taiwan has a huge scooter tuning scene.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Just got my variator kit installed. A little fiddly and intimidating at first but not too bad. The bike drives a LOT faster now. I also discovered:

- I have a 1P39QMB not a 139QMB. The powerlink belt I bought won't work
- I removed the little fan thing in order to fit the brass kick starter thingy that came with the kit. Not sure how had that is
- This bike doesn't appear to have any factory restrictions, evidenced by how fast it seems out of the box. There was no washer in the variator, no pin thinggy in the carb either, no pink wire to the CDI

Also I weighed the rollers. The bike supposedly came with 12 gram rollers and they actually weighed 3 gram, and the 7 gram rollers I bought weighed 4gram. I ended up using the 5 gram rollers that came with the kit. Not sure why the weights were all so off.

Great first upgrade though!

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
What are some things you guys would check on a new scooter that's going slower than it should?

Some backstory: in february I bought a barely used 2013 metropolitan. It had 300 miles or something on it. Everything was perfect on it as far as I could save for one thing, it was slow. Really, really slow. It topped out at a whopping 32 mph.

Now I know these aren't fast scooters, and I think the newer mets are slower than the old ones out of the box (new fuel injected air-cooled engine), but still, 32 is just not right. The first thing I did was order an aftermarket variator kit. When I opened the cvt case to install it, it looked like a war zone in there. Something had chewed up the stock variator. It took me a while to figure out what happened - somehow a bushing from the kickstart assembly broke and sent shards flying around inside there. Luckily the only real damage was to the variator, all the other pulley faces were fine. I guess it's just a softer metal on the variator.

Anyway, I put in the new variator and also replaced the belt since the chewed up variator wore the stock belt prematurely. I was SURE i had fixed the problem. I start it up and take it for a ride... a whopping 36 mph. You've got to be making GBS threads me. Since then I've tried:

Lots of different variator weights
Checked and changed the oil (it had way too much in there)
verified proper tire pressure
checked air filter and air box, looked fine.. replaced the filter anyways

I only weigh 145 and feel like this thing should do 40 no problem on flat ground. But no matter what I try, 35-36 is about all I can squeeze out of it on flat roads. I'm getting full belt travel up the new variator so I don't think that's the issue.

Any ideas? Are my expectations unrealistic?

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot
Sorry, 36mph is pretty drat fast for a Met, it's only a 49cc 4-stroke after all.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah 30s sounds normal for a stock Metro to me. Those things are slow as balls. I weigh around 145 and I don't think I've ever had more than 35 on one, or a Ruckus. There are mods you can do but I've never done them.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

It's doubtful that the brains of those things have gotten any less complex since the older carbureted model, so there very well could be an electronic rev limiter. But nobody buys a FI 4 stroke 49cc scooter for the speed.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
I started on an '04 Met and it topped at 37 indicated, so your 36 is not alarming. They are slow.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"
Just bought my girlfriend a Kymco Bug Pronto for Christmas. To what pressures ought I pump the tyres?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Really starting to think my ruck clone is a ringer. It's hitting an indicated 45 on flat ground now after the transmission kit. Also rumor has it that some of these Bashan bikes come with 64cc instead of 49.5.

Have to tape a GPS to it and find out.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
That's what I was afraid of. I guess these guys on the other forums I was reading claiming to bury the needle with nothing more than a variator kit were either full of poo poo or going down a hill.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
So I stopped riding my scooter for a couple weeks in cold weather (like 10-20*C) and now it takes forever to start up. Normal? What can I do to prevent this?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

hitension posted:

So I stopped riding my scooter for a couple weeks in cold weather (like 10-20*C) and now it takes forever to start up. Normal? What can I do to prevent this?

Fresh gas and charge your battery?

When you say takes forever, do you mean it cranks forever or cranks slowly?

There is a chance it's just a warm-blooded bike, some just don't take kindly to starting in cold weather.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

revmoo posted:

Really starting to think my ruck clone is a ringer. It's hitting an indicated 45 on flat ground now after the transmission kit. Also rumor has it that some of these Bashan bikes come with 64cc instead of 49.5.

Have to tape a GPS to it and find out.

You should dyno it to tune it right, you can't eyeball roller weights, also changing roller weights means you will have to adjust clutch springs and torque converter, I've been racing scooters for a few years and I've seen 0.5grs difference on roller weights make an huge difference like you won't believe it was the same engine so your scooter really need a good tune, if you can't dyno, just buy tuneable rollers or buy the whole weights range in 1gr intervals to pinpoint what you'll need.

Keep in mind this is a 4 stroke and even with a grand of go fast parts you will not go over 60, I'd suggest to swap to a 2 stroke engine if you want to get some power out of the engine, best scooter engine for racing is the horizontal liquid cooled minarelli, it's full aluminium, well designed and most of the racing top ends are designed with it as the leading platform and even if sometimes kits are availlable for other engines they are less optimized and makes less power than the minarelli version. You can have it with drum brakes or disk brakes.

Well tuned they are unbelievably fast from a standing start (on par with a 600cc sports bike for like 50-100m) and with a speed tune you can do 100 mph

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
TBH I'm pretty satisfied with the performance as it stands now and I'm pretty sure a carb/intake/exhaust will get me to right where I want. I think if I needed any more speed past that I'd either do a 150 swap or get a Grom or something.

I've thought about buying those tunable weight sets and then once I get it dialed in grab a set of sliders. There's not much of a scene here so I doubt I could find a combination bike dyno + scooter tuning pro in this city. I'm kinda just stuck trying various things and seeing what works.

Right now the takeoff and top speed is really good, the only thing I can see a need for improvement now is mid-range, but even then it doesn't need a whole lot. It would be hilarious to embarrass sport bikes at green lights though :)

red19fire
May 26, 2010

red19fire posted:

E: It's this guy: http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/mcy/4763908326.html

I think he might be asking too much considering it's winter. I've worked on metros before so it should be easy enough. Famous last words.

So I got this guy down to $1000, is that a decent deal? It seems on the high side when the BB trade in is $850 or so, but referencing BB for a 30 year old scooter is a bad idea to begin with.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

red19fire posted:

So I got this guy down to $1000, is that a decent deal? It seems on the high side when the BB trade in is $850 or so, but referencing BB for a 30 year old scooter is a bad idea to begin with.

I think it still seems steep but if it does have all that new poo poo it's passable, if there aren't a lot of cool scooters in your market. Hopefully it doesn't have a billion miles on it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

What's up scooter goons. I've been looking to get a scooter for a bit now and have been eyeballing the yamaha C3. Looked at one today, an '08 with just over 3k on it in excellent condition. Tires are a bit worn and probably needs a battery, but it includes a helmet, fairing and cover and he wants $950 for it. I'm thinking it's a pretty drat good deal and I should probably jump on it. I haven't read anything bad about C3's and the main reason I like them is they are fuel injected and liquid cooled. They look kind of cool too in a weird way. Any reason I shouldn't jump on this deal?

[edit] Got it :v:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 24, 2014

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
^^ That thing is really nice!

I'm trying to find bracket templates for a ruckus clone 150 swap/stretch. Anybody know where to find such a thing?

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

You can see a few different angles on the slide show at the top of this page.

That setup looks like it would handle like total rear end though even if it didn't have a go kart tire on the back.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

leica posted:

What's up scooter goons. I've been looking to get a scooter for a bit now and have been eyeballing the yamaha C3. Looked at one today, an '08 with just over 3k on it in excellent condition. Tires are a bit worn and probably needs a battery, but it includes a helmet, fairing and cover and he wants $950 for it. I'm thinking it's a pretty drat good deal and I should probably jump on it. I haven't read anything bad about C3's and the main reason I like them is they are fuel injected and liquid cooled. They look kind of cool too in a weird way. Any reason I shouldn't jump on this deal?

Have you read this? http://scootercanada.weebly.com/

They are a great scoot.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

You can see a few different angles on the slide show at the top of this page.

That setup looks like it would handle like total rear end though even if it didn't have a go kart tire on the back.

Hmm. That does indeed look like it would handle like rear end

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

leica posted:

Jump on that. I got a c3 a while neck, and it was the most reliable grocery scoot ever (12 bottles of wine inside that trunk!), until I turned it into a jetski. It's still reliable, just not great for groceries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha how did you turn it into a jet ski?

Gonna need a good helmet, any recommendations?