Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

When I ended up in a fight with one, both Yosuke and Naoto went before it, and they both ended up whiffing Tentarafoo, and they both have Impure Reach... I was not amused.

On an unrelated note, what does the Luck stat actually affect? Is it just crit chance, or does it affect hit rate as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Vengarr posted:

Persona Q: Impure Reach Out To The Truth
This needs to be the thread title

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I hope if they do a sequel they fix offensive magic so it's not so rubbish anymore. :sigh:

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
That'll happen when they let spells crit and give us magic that can hit several times.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Strangely enough, I always found physical attack abilities were lackluster in the main games, and offensive magic was king. Then again, I often used element amped -dyne spells with a max Magic persona an awful lot. Removing the slash/pierce/bash split for physical damage made it even worse so I'm glad that's at least made a return in Persona Q.
Persona Q is getting me to care more about other avenues for dealing the hurt on bosses.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Offensive spells in Persona Q also feel like they're stupidly expensive for how little damage they do comparatively to something like Myriad Arrows. Considering the -dynes are 46 SP and the Ma-dynes are 64 SP for a single hit of rather pathetic damage, they just aren't really worth it. Although Zen and Rei's wind spell is kind of a mini wind Myriad Arrows, which is kind of nice on something weak to wind.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

So I finally cleared the first Labyrinth, got access to the P4 dudes, and have been working on Labyrinth 2. While you were all right about Naoto being hilariously overpowered (I just got Impure Reach on her and it's nice to be able to simply point at someone every turn and remove them from the game no questions asked), I'd like to talk about Kanji and his stats. Specifically his Strength. It's at 46, nobody else is above 24. That's a little ridiculous. I know he's "the strong guy" but as strong as Shinji and Akihiko put together?

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Yeah, Kanji's the guy you go to when you want something punched in the face for massive damage. He's perfect against bosses because the bosses all tend to go after your entire party has acted. Or you can put an En-Ag Reverse on him, once you've unlocked them, and have him murder everything at lightning speed.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

ZeButler posted:

Yeah, Kanji's the guy you go to when you want something punched in the face for massive damage. He's perfect against bosses because the bosses all tend to go after your entire party has acted. Or you can put an En-Ag Reverse on him, once you've unlocked them, and have him murder everything at lightning speed.

I put an EN/AG switch on him, gave him Infinite Link, Golden Link, and all four Link skills. Round 1 Dragon Cry, round 2 Link with everybody else doing their thing, and just watch the damage fly. 250 damage initial hit, followed by a 300+ damage hit that hits harder the more it triggers. And if the enemy is panicked and hits themselves, he'll link off THAT, too. He's basically the boss/FOE counterpart to Naoto's mook murder.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

NinjaDebugger posted:

I put an EN/AG switch on him, gave him Infinite Link, Golden Link, and all four Link skills. Round 1 Dragon Cry, round 2 Link with everybody else doing their thing, and just watch the damage fly. 250 damage initial hit, followed by a 300+ damage hit that hits harder the more it triggers. And if the enemy is panicked and hits themselves, he'll link off THAT, too. He's basically the boss/FOE counterpart to Naoto's mook murder.

all right, now give him power charge.

ZeButler posted:

When I ended up in a fight with one, both Yosuke and Naoto went before it, and they both ended up whiffing Tentarafoo, and they both have Impure Reach... I was not amused.

On an unrelated note, what does the Luck stat actually affect? Is it just crit chance, or does it affect hit rate as well?

luck affects ailment/bind success rate, which is why you probably don't want yosuke using tentarafoo in the late-game.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Yeah links are amazing. I have Junpei, Kanji, and P3MC up front with all of them having a Link skill (MC also having Golden Link thanks to Orpheus Telos) and its pretty hilarious to get like 7 hits off those three attacks. When do you start getting the passive Link boosts (Double Link, etc.)?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

projecthalaxy posted:

Yeah links are amazing. I have Junpei, Kanji, and P3MC up front with all of them having a Link skill (MC also having Golden Link thanks to Orpheus Telos) and its pretty hilarious to get like 7 hits off those three attacks. When do you start getting the passive Link boosts (Double Link, etc.)?

looking at the skill card list, turdak (level 27 death, first persona you get from an elizabeth fight) has double link.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

projecthalaxy posted:

The important thing is that once you have infinite link and golden link on somebody, you want to have them specialize and take the links away from everybody else, because the newest Link skill is the only one that applies.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Is it just me, or is the FOE in A4 of the fourth labyrinth ridiculously hard to get past? I've been beating my head against him for an hour and I'm not making any progress.

I'm loving this game, but geez, some of these puzzles are making me feel like a complete fool.

EDIT: Got it. What an annoying puzzle.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 14, 2014

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

A fun thing about links is that Death Chaser will trigger it as well, along with just about everything else in the game. About the only thing that doesn't trigger links are poison/curse and Magatsu-Izanagi's Calamity Seed, and Probably Thanatos' Door to Hades.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Man, having Fang Breaker and Kidney Smash is so much better than keeping Tarunda around on a persona. I get to smack shadows with Kanji AND lower their damage at the same time. It's win-win!

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

How bad is fighting The Reaper? Should I avoid brute-forcing those floors?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

ZeButler posted:

It always opens with Mamudoon and gets 2 actions per turn, but if you can bind its magic it's unlikely to kill you with them. Really it's just a matter of surviving that first turn and recovering fast enough to bind its magic.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Does it always get advantage?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

ZeButler posted:

Does it always get advantage?

Every time I've fought him I've gotten the advantage on it, so I'm going to go with no it doesn't.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ZeButler posted:

The most dangerous part of fighting him is that if he gets off casting double Megidolaons (I think it's every 10 turns) it will almost certainly nearly wipe out your party.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Double Megidolaons? Sounds fun.

How hard is it to panic him?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZeButler posted:

As with literally everything else in the game not hard at all.

I have no idea why they didn't give more enemies ailment immunity. I can't even tell you what moves half the later-game enemies have because between binding and panic I never saw them.

What moves does the final boss have? I have no idea.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

ZeButler posted:

I've only bothered fighting it twice but my Naoto with 80ish luck and impure reach generally has it stick within the duration of a panic circle, usually the first two turns.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Also by the time you get to the reaper you should have access to homunculus' and mountains of money so instant death bullshit shouldn't be an issue.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Also by the time you get to the reaper you should have access to agility binds and power charges and myriad arrows so literally the entire rest of the game shouldn't be an issue

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

As with literally everything else in the game not hard at all.

I have no idea why they didn't give more enemies ailment immunity. I can't even tell you what moves half the later-game enemies have because between binding and panic I never saw them.

What moves does the final boss have? I have no idea.

That's basically what happened to me with the fourth boss, stuck a panic turn one, then it never went away.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

ZeButler posted:

That's basically what happened to me with the fourth boss, stuck a panic turn one, then it never went away.

Isn't the fourth boss that horrible thing with a billion HP? What difficulty are you on to where panic sticks around for over a dozen turns?

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

A dozen turns? My fight with the fourth boss didn't last nearly that long, even through his silly mid-fight gimmick. Death Chaser is a hell of a thing.

Edit: So is Stagnant Air.

ZeButler fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 15, 2014

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
ok cool so not only can you break this game you can also just completely incinerate it in hellfire apparently

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Yeah, just turned The Reaper in to a chump through a mixture of Lunar Blessing, Myriad Arrows, Death Chaser, a link, and panic.

He got one damaging spell off. One. And it was a Megidolaon that bounced off of Lunar Blessing.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
I didn't manage to panic the 4th boss at all, but I did stick an Agility Bind on it for 12 turns after Stagnant Air. I don't think any of its hits ever landed on me... Oh, that reminds me, do you actually have to fight the Festival Dudes in the manner prescribed by Elizabeth? I mean, I did it, but it seemed like she may have been trolling.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I wish I had the same luck as you guys. This just happened to me. "Golden beetle is panicked" then he hits Naota two times in a row.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

KingEffingFrost posted:

I didn't manage to panic the 4th boss at all, but I did stick an Agility Bind on it for 12 turns after Stagnant Air. I don't think any of its hits ever landed on me... Oh, that reminds me, do you actually have to fight the Festival Dudes in the manner prescribed by Elizabeth? I mean, I did it, but it seemed like she may have been trolling.

Doing what Elizabeth tells you to removes their ability to use crazed slash, diarahan and they only get one attack per turn. It might also do something else but I always just panic killed them so I'm not completely sure.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

So, Colossal Swing + Heroic Gemini + a link is an amazing thing, especially when Colossal Swing triggers on both the first hit and the Gemini trigger.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

How are you supposed to hit the limit on infinite link, the most I can reach without lucky heroic gemini triggers is the 4 party members + a self hit from panic.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Death Chaser can give you up to another two link triggers, so multiple people with Death Chaser can get you there.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Einwand posted:

How are you supposed to hit the limit on infinite link, the most I can reach without lucky heroic gemini triggers is the 4 party members + a self hit from panic.

Infinite Links has a limit?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

One would assume not, given the name. It's probably more a case of 'how to get more than 4/5 links out of it'.
I wonder, would a full party of Link abilities work? I can see that chewing the hell out of bosses :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Zurai posted:

Infinite Links has a limit?

Far as I've read it caps out at 8 links.

• Locked thread