Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I bought Armillo since it was on sale and I noticed it was recommended in the OP. The game is fantastic and I kind of wish that I had bought it sooner. It reminds me of a game that would have come out on the PS1, but obviously with better graphics. It's ahrd to explain but it gives me weird nostalgia for that time period. Anyway, great game, everyone should buy it for $4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
You get the same points you would for any other game. 599 total if you buy both games.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Awesome! posted:

you guys lied to me. the mario world bundle i just bought came with the games pre-installed, not disks.

Dunno what to tell you, mine came with a shrinkwrapped copy of the game inside the box.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

FPzero posted:

Quick question, if you buy Bayonetta 1/2 digitally, do you get digital deluxe promotion points for both games and if so, how many for each?

I'm wondering if buying one and getting the other causes a situation like how the free game from Mario Kart 8 gave you points worth the full purchase price of the game.

You should get 599-600 or so for both, considering you're only able to pay $60 for them.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Well I needed 170 more points to get a DDP code so I bought Captain Toad. I'll probably pick up Bayonetta 1/2 sometime early next year.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I'm 2 points shy of another DDP code

So I'm gonna pick up whatever game is free on Club Nintendo tomorrow or whenever they update it, and then I will get it for free :getin:

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Awesome! posted:

started up wii u, entered date and time and was greeted with a system memory error. error code lookup gave me

so I guess it's DOA. I'll probably just exchange it at the store rather than going through nintendo

e: i just restarted it and it went through the set up ok. but now I'm worried. I'll play with it and see if anything else weird happens

If you got the 160-0103 code that error will probably happen again and your wiiu will most likely be hosed

It seems to be different for everyone, in my case it just would never play smash again and then my wiiu went to poo poo, for some other people it's happened, seemed ok, then everything went to poo poo too

Wish you the best

kater
Nov 16, 2010

So I've read the reviews and don't want to spend $40 on such a short game but wow the friggin Captain Toad music in the shop is making me want to buy it.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

FPzero posted:

Quick question, if you buy Bayonetta 1/2 digitally, do you get digital deluxe promotion points for both games and if so, how many for each?

I'm wondering if buying one and getting the other causes a situation like how the free game from Mario Kart 8 gave you points worth the full purchase price of the game.

The reason the MK8 game gave you full DDP points was that it was a download code for the full game indistinguishable from, say, one bought at a retailer (just like how you get the full 79 points for taking an $8 SNES game as a Club Nintendo bonus).

In the case of buying games on the eshop, your DDP points will be based on whatever you actually paid for the game.

Chewie23
Mar 17, 2013

Damn. It feels good to be a gangster
I've been debating about getting a Wii U ever since Smash 4 came out, but unfortunately the Nintendo Refurbs are sold out for who knows how long. Is there any other place having sales/good deals right now in the NA region?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Chewie23 posted:

I've been debating about getting a Wii U ever since Smash 4 came out, but unfortunately the Nintendo Refurbs are sold out for who knows how long. Is there any other place having sales/good deals right now in the NA region?

Target has them on sale for $250 with 3D World and NintendoLand

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

kater posted:

So I've read the reviews and don't want to spend $40 on such a short game but wow the friggin Captain Toad music in the shop is making me want to buy it.

15-20 hours plus future replays seems like a decent deal for $40, but that's just me.

Chewie23
Mar 17, 2013

Damn. It feels good to be a gangster

Ometeotl posted:

Target has them on sale for $250 with 3D World and NintendoLand

Sweet! How long does the sale last, if you know? I may pick this up along with some games/controllers along the way

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

PneumonicBook posted:

I bought Armillo since it was on sale and I noticed it was recommended in the OP. The game is fantastic and I kind of wish that I had bought it sooner. It reminds me of a game that would have come out on the PS1, but obviously with better graphics. It's ahrd to explain but it gives me weird nostalgia for that time period. Anyway, great game, everyone should buy it for $4.
Yeah, I remember seeing a Wii U hype reel ages ago that informed me of a number of games that I might not have heard of otherwise - Oliver & Spike, Teslagrad, and Armillo, to name a few. In retrospect, I think the only real reason I suddenly became so intent on following Armillo (to the point that I bought it for a 25% discount at launch) was because I desperately hungry for a fast-moving 3D game. I mentioned it a few pages ago, but it's really kind of stunning how polished Armillo is in some regards. The game just good to play, and the level design is all fairly unique, functioning with confidence. It's not the game on the eShop, but it's so different that I can't really compare it that way. I think the game deserves to do well.

kater posted:

I'm still patiently waiting for the Christmas music. Hopefully next Thursday!

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 15, 2014

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Was waffling on getting the Wii U, but I sold myself on it for a variety of reasons. I got a 10% off coupon at the mall for Target sale with the $249 price, plus 5% for using a redcard, so about $210 or so overall.

Having fun with it so far, though transferring from the Wii was a pain.

What's the resale market for my old Wii?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Glass of Milk posted:

Was waffling on getting the Wii U, but I sold myself on it for a variety of reasons. I got a 10% off coupon at the mall for Target sale with the $249 price, plus 5% for using a redcard, so about $210 or so overall.

Having fun with it so far, though transferring from the Wii was a pain.

Like a buck fifty. Wiis are super-common and sell for dirt cheap.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Glass of Milk posted:

I'd say you won't get much resale for a Wii, maybe around $50 for it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Reoxygenation posted:

If you got the 160-0103 code that error will probably happen again and your wiiu will most likely be hosed

It seems to be different for everyone, in my case it just would never play smash again and then my wiiu went to poo poo, for some other people it's happened, seemed ok, then everything went to poo poo too

Wish you the best

it was 160-0104

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Awesome! posted:

it was 160-0104

Oh God, not 160-0104

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

dont take that tone with me noirstronaut

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

According to my play log, Captain Toad actually took me longer to 100% than Mario 3D World, a game no one complained about for how long it was. Admittedly my numbers for Toad were inflated by a few hours by how particularly bad I was at the final level, but still. This hand wringing about how short it is for the (reduced!) price is getting pretty tiresome.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Captain Toad is padded, if anything.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Captain Toad is padded, if anything.
Very much so. The 15 hours it took me to complete everything in the game had me playing each level a minimum of 3 times*, barring the final one, which really only requires one (victorious) playthrough unless you handle it really poorly. The content that's there is very dense and tight, and is generally strong enough to withstand 3 playthroughs (each one bringing a different mindset to the player due to the variety in goals), but the decision to not reveal the challenges until a level was beaten, stacked upon the fact that par times aren't revealed until after all challenges in a given chapter are completed, indicates to me that they wanted to extract as many separate playthroughs out of a level as possible (though these decisions are defensible from a gameplay standpoint). None of the main game, from intro to final boss, is really very "padded," but almost everything beyond that is takes these levels to their replayability limits (successfully, for most of us).

*I think there were one or two levels that I was able to beat in two runs thanks to some extensive exploring.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 15, 2014

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Oh, guys, how many levels have you blowing into the controller? I kinda hate that poo poo.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Chewie23 posted:

Sweet! How long does the sale last, if you know? I may pick this up along with some games/controllers along the way

It's supposed to last all week, but I wouldn't count on them having any in stock that long.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Chewie23 posted:

Started today, ends Saturday.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

noirstronaut posted:

Oh, guys, how many levels have you blowing into the controller? I kinda hate that poo poo.
brb counting

Should be 8 main levels (less than a fifth of the main level count), and for most of them, it's used just once. There may be one or two I missed since the use of it is just sorta' sprinkled about.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
I just tapped the mic with my finger for those levels in 3D world, should work fine for Captain Toad.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

wonderful 101 is epic

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Awesome! posted:

wonderful 101 is epic

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

jivjov posted:

You get the same points you would for any other game. 599 total if you buy both games.

I read on their actual site that you get more actually. Bayo 1 "counts" as a $30 purchase with a discount applied. Maybe it works differently in practice who knows.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Awesome! posted:

wonderful 101 is epic

Excuse me it's wonderful.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Por que no los dos? Is W101 ever not on sale? It's 37 over on Amazon down from a 60 I never think it sold for.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They officially cut the price to $30 ages ago.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

W101 was also on clearance from K-mart a few weeks ago for $6-7.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is it just selling poorly? This is a contender for one of my favorite Wii U games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yes, it was a huge flop for a whole bunch of reasons.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

New IP, early title for a console absolutely no one had at the time, no marketing from Nintendo... yeah, there is no way it wasn't going to flop.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

It's also a Platinum game, which are cursed to sell poorly. I think the only exception is Metal Gear Rising and that's cuz that did get a good amount of marketing and also it's a Metal Gear game and those sell like hotcakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ChaosArgate posted:

It's also a Platinum game, which are cursed to sell poorly. I think the only exception is Metal Gear Rising and that's cuz that did get a good amount of marketing and also it's a Metal Gear game and those sell like hotcakes.

I am one of the 10 people who bought a Wii U partially because of Platinum's games going there. It helps that Nintendo actually released games this year also

• Locked thread