Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I wish Jeskai Ascendancy could be my Commander.

There's a format called Noble, where you play a 60-card deck of commons and uncommons and choose a rare to be your pseudo-commander. Fluctuator is banned in that format thanks to a deck I built.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Can timetwister be my commander?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Dr. Stab posted:

Can timetwister be my commander?

That card's banned, but Time Spiral is allowed. Here is the explanation of the rules, It's actually a 60-card deck including the noble, and you can only play up to 4 uncommons total. You start with the Noble in your command zone, may activate abilities of your Noble from the command zone as if it were in your hand, and if it goes to the graveyard or gets exiled you cannot return it to the command zone.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Chamale posted:

There's a format called Noble, where you play a 60-card deck of commons and uncommons and choose a rare to be your pseudo-commander. Fluctuator is banned in that format thanks to a deck I built.

Do you still have that decklist with a Lab Maniac win condition? I remember you posted it a year-or-so ago and it looked awesome.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Equilibrium posted:

Jeskai Ascendancy is just an ugly mess of triggers. Regardless of power level, I'm not sure how that thing got printed.

TheKingofSprings posted:

This, that card loving rules and we need 20 more like it.

E: playable engine cards own own own

I agree with both of these things.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

So, I can make Inkmoth Nexus my noble, and have 4 berserks as my uncommons?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

One time I cast a Crater's Claws with X=5 and used the Jeskai Ascendancy/Prowess triggers to get ferocious up. And then my opponent tapped out to Mindswipe me for 1 because I was a greedy rear end in a top hat and tapped out to cast it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

"My commander is the platonic ideal of my objective superiority to you."

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

My commander is force of will.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

It can get in line behind Maelstrom Nexus.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

GoutPatrol posted:

Do you still have that decklist with a Lab Maniac win condition? I remember you posted it a year-or-so ago and it looked awesome.

I dug it up, and decided to give the list a hasty update. This is the cheapest deck I've ever used to win a match in a Legacy tournament. I wonder if I could update it with a bunch of Treasure Cruise and make a real deck.

code:
4 Fluctuator
4 Blasted Landscape
4 Drifting Meadow
4 Polluted Mire
4 Remote Isle
4 Slippery Karst
4 Smoldering Crater
1 City of Brass
2 Gitaxian Probe
1 Laboratory Maniac
4 Angelsong
4 Expunge
4 Gilded Light
4 Lull
4 Miscalculation
4 Repopulate
4 Unearth

Sideboard:
1 Hush
2 Radiant's Judgment
4 Rebuild
1 Treasure Cruise
1 Cavern of Souls
2 Disciple of Law
2 Disciple of Malice
2 Disciple of Grace

Dr. Stab posted:

So, I can make Inkmoth Nexus my noble, and have 4 berserks as my uncommons?

Yup. Infect is a force to be reckoned with in that format. Also, you can play Infect with Blazing Shoal as your Noble.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Dr. Stab posted:

My commander is force of will.

That's only an uncommon.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Pussy Snorkel posted:

That's only an uncommon.

The judge promo has a gold star.

Speaking of different formats, has anyone heard of Tiny Leaders? It's commander except with a 50 card deck, 10 card sideboard, the max CMC allowed is 3 and it's meant to be played 1 on 1. It sounds kinda cool, at least. I threw together a Xira Arien list while I was bored at work the other night.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

suicidesteve posted:

That doesn't change its rarity.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Speaking of different formats, has anyone heard of Tiny Leaders? It's commander except with a 50 card deck, 10 card sideboard, the max CMC allowed is 3 and it's meant to be played 1 on 1. It sounds kinda cool, at least. I threw together a Xira Arien list while I was bored at work the other night.

Keep in mind, all cards in your deck are max CMC 3. I run Anafenza in it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Chamale posted:

I heard some dudes talking about a Commander variant where everything in your deck has to cost 3 mana or less, including your commander. There might have been other rules but I was still playing and not really paying attention to them, does this exist by any of you all? I guess goons have heard of it :downs:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 15, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I predict your answer lies inches above your head.

Here's a link to Tiny Leaders with all the rules. No Jeskai, Mardu, or Sultai commanders available yet though, but the rules have (lovely) proxy creatures.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 15, 2014

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
About that Invitational match that took 165 minutes - both Jessup and Davis are regulars at my store. They've been playtesting together for weeks. I can't imagine how long that match would have taken if it were two people who weren't familiar with how their opponent played.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I was playing a Standard 2 man against a dude on MTGO playing U/B straight control with Pearl Lake as the wincon. Game 3 I Thoughtseize him, remove his only Dissolve and then Stain the Mind naming Pearl Lake, and remove both copies from his deck. I figured he'd get that he just lost, but he just keeps playing for like three turns until I message him "Do you have any other win conditions in your deck?" (I already knew the answer since I had to search the deck for the Ancients). Silence for about 2 or 3 minutes and then he concedes without a word.

For the record, it is loving satisfying landing a full value Stain the Mind.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Angry Grimace posted:

I was playing a Standard 2 man against a dude on MTGO playing U/B straight control with Pearl Lake as the wincon. Game 3 I Thoughtseize him, remove his only Dissolve and then Stain the Mind naming Pearl Lake, and remove both copies from his deck. I figured he'd get that he just lost, but he just keeps playing for like three turns until I message him "Do you have any other win conditions in your deck?" (I already knew the answer since I had to search the deck for the Ancients). Silence for about 2 or 3 minutes and then he concedes without a word.

For the record, it is loving satisfying landing a full value Stain the Mind.

I was playing a Legacy match with my Thought Lash/Laboratory Maniac deck, and my opponent hit me with turn 1 Thoughtseize/Surgical Extraction for my Laboratory Maniacs, so my only win condition was Jace, the Mind Sculptor. Over the course of the game I cast 4 Counterspell, 4 Force of Will, and 4 Jace, got off an ultimate, and eventually my opponent conceded with 1 card in his library to my 2.

Booklegger
Aug 2, 2008

AgentSythe posted:

Mods please change my name to this image:

He goes (went?) to our store here, Game Theory. He's good, but a touch insufferable.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

So I went to a PPTQ on Thursday, probably my most competitive event (I went to a GP and played around but not very seriously), went 5-2 in a 7 round standard event and went 13th, playing Jeskai Tokens. I could have top 8ed but I was very nervous for the first few rounds and made some bad sideboarding decisions.

Round 1- Mardu Midrange. 0-2.

Not the best start, Game 1 I kept a hand with two stoke the flames and hordeling outburst with one red mana out and he hordeling outbursted, butcher of the horde t4 and generally removed all my threats.

Game 2 I boarded in glare of heresy (saw butcher) and erase (saw chained) but didn't board in strokes because I am an idiot. I was pretty optimistic with a t2 seeker and t3 rabblemaster, but he then untapped after that and anger of the gods my board. He then played one stormbreath one after the other (stroke where are you D: ) and killed me pretty fast.

Round 2- Mardu Midrange (again!) 2-1

Don't remember this one too well. Let's say I boarded in strokes after losing game 1 and won 2 and 3. I do remember clearly game 3 hordeling outburst one turn with double ascendancy out and then double stoke the flamesing him and attacking him for 15, doing 23 damage in one turn when we was on 22. Felt good.

Round 3- Naya Midrange 1-2

Again, hosed over by my sideboard decisions. I easily beat him game 1, seeing only fleecemane lions, caryatids and such, so I think he's more a aggro deck. I board in glare and keranos and then game 2 he t2 caryatid and t3 polukranos and I had no answer. Jeskai Tokens cannot beat a resolved Polukranos if the opponent is clever, it just can't, unless you want to 2-1 for yourself and destroy your hand on one card. Game 3 I sideboard in 4 strokes and did not see one as he did the exact same thing as in game 3 and easily dispatches me. It felt pretty bad, wanted to drop, but all my friends kept going, so I thought I might as well keep playtesting with the deck.

Round 4- UB Control 2-1

This guy is pretty casual and nice, but as he played t1 temple of deceit I knew I was playing one of my worst matchups in testing- UB control. Game 1 was a horrible long affair of him ashioking +2ing me to death as I fail to resolve a threat. He jokingly told me in between sideboarding that he mainboards 4 bile blights and 4 drowns and I thought it was impossible (bad move, when I was sideboarding, I guess) so I sideboard out all of my token generators and board in 4 strokes, elspeth, keranos and 2 gryffs.

Game 2 and 3 was a bit bad for him, as he couldn't draw into his removal spells and a resolved rabblemaster destroys him and game 3 a resolved Keranos kills him as my multiple disdainful stoke I had couldn't make resolve a perilous vault to dispatch it. Also, in that game I realise how amazing Chandra, Pyromaster is. When left unchecked, she really is great in this deck. Went 2-1 and I felt overjoyed I triumphed over one of my worse matchups.

Round 5- Abzan Aggro (my teammate!) 2-0
My best friend and teammate had some terrible luck this PPTQ. In a round of 70+ people, he managed to face all 3 of us who was with him in the car and playtested with each other for this tournament and LOST to all of us. I was the last one. His fleecemane lions and deathdealers got destroyed and chump blocked by my vast amount of tokens and lightning strikes, then game 2 he mulled to 5 and got stuck on one land while I kept a super reactive hand after sideboarding (2 end hostilities, 2 strokes etc etc) and I couldn't find a threat at all, so it turned into a game of draw go for about 5 turns until I resolved rabblemasters and dispatched him mercifully. Poor guy, he had a 100% record to his non-friends but went 4-3 on the day.

Round 6- Mardu Midrange (AGAIN) 2-1
This match-up was really fuzzy as I was really loving tired, but it was the same way with this Jeskai Tokens, Game 1 I got killed by butcher and his friends, then sideboarding into a more control deck after knowing they have anger in the SB and grinding them out game 2 and 3 for the win.

Round 7- Temur Midrange 2-1

A strange deck with Yisan and Soul of Zendikar, he easily dispatches me game 1 with a resolved Polukranos, then game 2 I sideboarded into the control package and he kept a one lander with two mystics and I killed them both with lightning strikes and didn't draw land fast enough. Game 3 I stroked all of his big creatures and ascendancy provided enough value for the win.

Got 6 packs, got home after 12 hours of playing magic, collapsed and now a bit salty at how nervous I was in the first games, oh well I'll do better next time. :) As I repeated many times over the rounds, I sideboarded almost into a Jeskai Control deck with Ascendancies for consistency and I lost most of my game 1s. Honestly think that the match-up game 1 against the most common decks is really bad and boarding in disdainful strokes really helps against the powerful threats. I really think they should be MB after this tournament.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Chamale posted:

I was playing a Legacy match with my Thought Lash/Laboratory Maniac deck, and my opponent hit me with turn 1 Thoughtseize/Surgical Extraction for my Laboratory Maniacs, so my only win condition was Jace, the Mind Sculptor. Over the course of the game I cast 4 Counterspell, 4 Force of Will, and 4 Jace, got off an ultimate, and eventually my opponent conceded with 1 card in his library to my 2.

I asked in the Eternal thread but can I see the list you are running? I've been trying the version I posted a while ago that dicks around with Skill Borrowers and Tops and stuff and it just ain't getting there.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Chamale posted:

The only format where Battle of Wits is good.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Entropic posted:

The only format where Battle of Wits is good.

Care you walk me through the logic in this? Because I think I'm missing how Battle of Wits is good in a format with enforced 60 card decks.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Jenx posted:

Care you walk me through the logic in this? Because I think I'm missing how Battle of Wits is good in a format with enforced 60 card decks.

Noble is a "sixty card" format in the way Standard is, i.e. minimum sixty card but it's almost always correct to play exactly 60.

You so you can play Battle of Wits as your noble and run a 240 card U/G deck consisting of every cheap common/uncommon ramp or counter spell ever printed. No need for tutors like a traditional BoW deck.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Entropic posted:

Noble is a "sixty card" format in the way Standard is, i.e. minimum sixty card but it's almost always correct to play exactly 60.

You so you can play Battle of Wits as your noble and run a 240 card U/G deck consisting of every cheap common/uncommon ramp or counter spell ever printed. No need for tutors like a traditional BoW deck.

Oh, I thought the 60 card deck thing was enforced, a la EDH. Then yeah, Battle of Wits just sounds drat broken.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Jenx posted:

Oh, I thought the 60 card deck thing was enforced, a la EDH. Then yeah, Battle of Wits just sounds drat broken.

I dunno, seems like it's not that good if anyone bothers to play naturalize, erase, etc.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

I dunno, seems like it's not that good if anyone bothers to play naturalize, erase, etc.
That's why your whole deck is ramp and ways to protect your BoW. Get to like 7 mana on turn 4 or 5, cast BoW leaving up some sort of counterspell.

I've never actually played the format so I have no idea how fast it is, but if you're not already dead on turn 5 that seems pretty strong.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Booklegger posted:

He goes (went?) to our store here, Game Theory. He's good, but a touch insufferable.

So basically just like every grinder at everyone's local game store.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

Except he's 17 and actually good so I'm sure he's worse than most.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Dr. Stab posted:

That's actually a really simple rule. If they've already blocked him, then that's it, he's blocked. You can unmorph him before they block so they can't block it, but once he's blocked, that's it.

But it's bullshit unintuitive. "Here, have a card you can flip up to surprise your opponent... except surprising them doesn't actually work and we're not going to mention that on the card."

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Keiya posted:

But it's bullshit unintuitive. "Here, have a card you can flip up to surprise your opponent... except surprising them doesn't actually work and we're not going to mention that on the card."

You can still surprise them, just flip it before blockers.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Equilibrium posted:

Jeskai Ascendancy is just an ugly mess of triggers. Regardless of power level, I'm not sure how that thing got printed.

I've been having lots of fun watching people who don't know how to actually play that deck try to run it at FNM and end up fizzling when their opponent doesn't just scoop to the Ascendancy.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Keiya posted:

It's consistent. Intuitiveness is subjective at best - just remember that once something is blocked you can't change that it's been blocked, just like you can't tap down a creature during declare attackers to keep it from attacking (you do this during start of combat at latest), therefore, if you want to give something evasion, do it at the end of the declare attackers step before passing priority at the latest.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Keiya posted:

Unblockable just means that no creature can be assigned to block it. Once blockers have already been assigned, the "unblockable" ability is irrelevant.

e: In other words, the "can't be blocked" text only has any relevance to gameplay when blockers are being declared, so you need to flip your mystic during the declare attackers step at the latest, if you want it to be unblockable.

Starving Autist fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 15, 2014

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

AgentSythe posted:

I asked in the Eternal thread but can I see the list you are running? I've been trying the version I posted a while ago that dicks around with Skill Borrowers and Tops and stuff and it just ain't getting there.

I'm still playing the unrefined version I posted about 3 weeks ago, I'm not sure exactly how to go about testing a better one. Once I go on break I should have a bit of time for playtesting stuff and buying new cards. Thanks to Treasure Cruise, it's much better than the version I posted in May.

Chamale posted:

code:
12 Island
4 Flooded Strand
4 Ancient Tomb
1 Sensei's Divining Top (I only have one)
1 Conjurer's Bauble (replacement for Top)
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Opt
4 Brainstorm
4 Thought Scour
4 Counterspell
4 Laboratory Maniac
4 Thought Lash
2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
4 Force of Will
4 Treasure Cruise

Sideboard
4 Flusterstorm
4 Relic of Progenitus
2 Hurkyl's Recall
2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
2 Conjurer's Bauble
1 Hibernation
I'm thinking a good design of the deck would have 4 Intuition, 4 Top, and more fetchlands for shuffling. I'm honestly not sure what makes it run so well, other than the fact that it draws more cards than the opponent and has 4 of a spell that effectively gains 30 life. Also, it might be better to win with Thought Lash + Future Sight, but that requires running some extra cards to be a win condition like Lotus Petals, Mox Opal, and something like Brain Freeze.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

qbert posted:

Yeah, his quips are the best. When Davis mulligan-ed to 4 and then actually managed to stabilize for a turn or two, Chapin's deadpan "Do you see that Cedric? He moves like they do!" got a good laugh out of both Cedric and myself.

I don't get the joke. What's it from?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

The Matrix? Trinity says, "You moved like they do."

lovely YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LMGF8-8dFY&t=75s

Or it's some meme?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Angry Grimace posted:

Need an elaboration on this one if you would please

• Locked thread