Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Everyone there for the review argument was wrong and was being dumb. There are two kinds of things that get called "reviews", critical reviews, or critiques, which is what Woolie and Liam want, and consumer reviews which are what Pat want. Both are two different things that are both important, but since they're both assessing the worth of a thing, they both fall under the umbrella of reviews. They just measure that worth differently.

Please pass this on, so Mommy and Daddy will stop yelling at each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
drat, Evil Within is a long game.

Matt, not sure if you and the guys will bother with this, but have you checked out Telltale's Game of Thrones, er, game yet? From what I saw from someone else's LP, it's not all that great in terms of look and what they're trying to do story wise, but it could just be me.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.
Already played it with Woolie. Will be uploading in the next week or two.

I thought it was great story wise, but what they are doing visually falls a little flat for me. Still, this first episode is better than the entirety of WDS2.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Matt, are you prepared for the inevitable gaggle of chucklefucks ready to scream "When's next episode??" when Telltale delay their episode like they always do?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Have the loading times improved at all? :xd:

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Mr. Matt, as much as I love you guys, the site player is kind of garbage given how it will randomly crash in the middle of a video, constantly buffer, and lag to poo poo. Sorry if you chose it well, it just sucks when the PSX video is something I have to wrestle just to watch.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

hoobajoo posted:

Everyone there for the review argument was wrong and was being dumb. There are two kinds of things that get called "reviews", critical reviews, or critiques, which is what Woolie and Liam want, and consumer reviews which are what Pat want. Both are two different things that are both important, but since they're both assessing the worth of a thing, they both fall under the umbrella of reviews. They just measure that worth differently.

Please pass this on, so Mommy and Daddy will stop yelling at each other.

The weirdest thing was the use of the phrase "objective review", a thing that will never exist until someone builds Review Bot 9000.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
What Internet browser are you using to watch the video? Works perfectly fine with Chrome for me.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Solaris Knight posted:

Mr. Matt, as much as I love you guys, the site player is kind of garbage given how it will randomly crash in the middle of a video, constantly buffer, and lag to poo poo. Sorry if you chose it well, it just sucks when the PSX video is something I have to wrestle just to watch.

I've had issues with it buffering a lot. It seems to mostly be a problem during times of day that (I assume) are higher traffic for the site. So I watch what I can on the site and switch the to Youtube channel when I can't anymore.

I've never had it crash, which I figure would have more to do with Flash being a pile of poo poo in general than the individual site.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Solaris Knight posted:

The Keighleys video was super rough for me and crashed the video player a few times, but the PSX video was butter. 'S weird.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

hoobajoo posted:

Maybe I'm just having a brain fart today, but I'm not sure what the difference is between the two. Aren't consumer reviews critical in nature? I can see the difference between a first impressions/preview type "review" and a full fledged went-over-this-with-a-fine-tooth-comb type review, but I think that's different that what you're talking about.

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

Kimmalah posted:

No love for the weird Fallout reference in Evil Within I see. :v:

There were so many throwaway sight gags in Ch. 11 too; I think Pat was just in super "finish this game mode," where textures fade away and all that matters is spotting booby traps and shooting the gun at the soft parts.

I would listen to Box Punk.

Alright, so I've been playing through on Steam on lower graphics settings, bug-free, never crashed. Then on New Game+, Ch. 6, while I'm protecting Joseph as he opens the bomb door, this happens:

I can't recall everything that happened leading up to it, I think I was on my last sliver of health and I got grabbed by the vicar zombie there, but then another zombie came in and batted me down? Whcih knocks me down, but I don't stand to get up. Health bar is gone. I am also permanently affixed to the vicar's position, so as he walks around, I glide across the floor, and am treated to some lovely views of the underground.

After awhile the vicar stops searching for wherever player character may be, and stops. Zombies mill around. Game hasn't crashed yet, I get bored and restart from checkpoint. Everything goes smoothly after that.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Charles Martel posted:

Maybe I'm just having a brain fart today, but I'm not sure what the difference is between the two. Aren't consumer reviews critical in nature? I can see the difference between a first impressions/preview type "review" and a full fledged went-over-this-with-a-fine-tooth-comb type review, but I think that's different that what you're talking about.

He meant Critical Analysis instead of review, since analysis goes into minutia while a review is supposed to inform you as to whether or not you should buy it.

Although a lot of video game fans seem to want reviews that don't actually tell them anything for some reason

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

cmykjester posted:

What Internet browser are you using to watch the video? Works perfectly fine with Chrome for me.

I'm using Chrome OS.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Matt, do you guys have plans to play more older games? Particularly PS1 era games such as Brave Fencer Musashi and Tiny Tank?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Improbable Lobster posted:

He meant Critical Analysis instead of review, since analysis goes into minutia while a review is supposed to inform you as to whether or not you should buy it.

Although a lot of video game fans seem to want reviews that don't actually tell them anything for some reason

Ah, OK. I actually like "reviews" (which seems to be a blanket term for most videos/articles/blogs/whatever that talk about a thing) that combine those two aspects and I have been messing around with making videos that do just that. I can't take those reviews where the game is seriously flawed but hey it's Halo everyone loves Halo 9/10.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.
Sorry, the PSX and Game Awards videos are kinda site things, as Pat and Liam did not upload them to YT, as it might give us a copyright strike.

Game of Thrones (on the Xbox One at least) ran really well, except for like, a 15 second delay when loading in a scene towards the end of the LP. No weird stuttering or hangups the rest of the episode. Surprisingly solid.

As for the site player, there's simply nothing we can do. The company that hosts the website only have so many servers, and they also provide for AVGN, Team Four Star, and Normal Boots. We have hundreds more videos than any of those groups, and our content is way longer than anyone else, 30 min videos is the minimum, and every so often, we upload something that's an hour long, or in the case of PSX and Game Awards, close to 3 hours long.I know it's been rough, but until more servers are implemented to handle the traffic, site performance is unfortunately still going to be spotty.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Next-Jin Engine posted:

Yea I don't know, I think it's over now.

Nope, he's still at it. Best to just ignore him and his sad attention plea.

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013
An hour 42 minutes into PSX Pat mentions a site that scores by "Full Price, Matinee, Rental;" that was Spill.com, which was taken down; even the archives were lost. The major two reviewers have since started up Double Toasted.

The site player works fine for what it is; not keeping the video playing however eventually resets the player, but that's about the only problem I have with it.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I dunno about you guys but I mostly use the site and it works fine on Explorer 99% of the time.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Do not even ask posted:

Nope, he's still at it. Best to just ignore him and his sad attention plea.

Circumsoldier stopped being funny so he has to drum up drama to stay popular.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
My laptop has issues with that player but it's kind of an old trash heap and has a lot of issues regardless. Works better on other computers I've watched on but still hiccups here and there.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Watching the new Evil Within video and laughing my rear end off

Sebs shadow glitch is literally a :buddy: emoticon and it's great. If it happens again Matt please edit it in over the shadow.

Edit:

Saw this floating around.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

So, I keep ehairng about how good Yakuza is from a certain ginger bald man, and looking up how it plays sounds really good, as a huge sandbox for punching people and collecting poo poo.

Which Yakuza game is good for a first time player? Can I start with 5, or should I play 4, or the earlier ones first?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Solaris Knight posted:

So, I keep ehairng about how good Yakuza is from a certain ginger bald man, and looking up how it plays sounds really good, as a huge sandbox for punching people and collecting poo poo.

Which Yakuza game is good for a first time player? Can I start with 5, or should I play 4, or the earlier ones first?

you can download 4 right now on PS3, I didn't give a poo poo about Yakuza but seeing part 4 immediately got me interested.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 15, 2014

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Watching the new Evil Within video and laughing my rear end off

Sebs shadow glitch is literally a :buddy: emoticon and it's great. If it happens again Matt please edit it in over the shadow.

Edit:

Saw this floating around.

Sebs shadow is the true evil within

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Next-Jin Engine posted:

An hour 42 minutes into PSX Pat mentions a site that scores by "Full Price, Matinee, Rental;" that was Spill.com, which was taken down; even the archives were lost. The major two reviewers have since started up Double Toasted.

Huh. The review conversation that started around the 1:38:00 mark about reviews that was mentioned before was an interesting conversation. After thinking about it for a few minutes...on one hand, I know that the core game experience is not going to change regardless of someone buying a game for $60 or $20, BUT the cheaper a game gets the lower the barrier of entry is and the “softer the blow” its criticisms can take (e.g. "It's good, but not $60 good. Wait for a sale." and “Well, what do you expect from a game that’s <insert low price point here>?”)

In the end, I think the MSRP should be mentioned in the review, but not exactly affect it. A typical review should be thoroughly presented by someone whom understands how basic video game mechanics work and the viewer, now armed with that knowledge, should decide for themselves if any game is worth their time and money.

So basically, the opposite of how most "game reviews" are done. And I think I sorta agree with Liam. :v:

Also, n'thing the "Pat's reaction to Yakuza 5 was great" opinion.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
This evil within playthrough is my favourite since...the re4 playthrough.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hey, Matt I found a Christmas gift you can give Pat.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 15, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't even play Dark Souls and I'd still want that thing for my desk

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't even play Dark Souls and I'd still want that thing for my desk

I had it link to the website you could buy it from at first and then I took it down because I was paranoid I might get probated for advertising like that. Am I right or is that just paranoia?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

I had it link to the website you could buy it from at first and then I took it down because I was paranoid I might get probated for advertising like that. Am I right or is that just paranoia?

Paranoia.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

RareAcumen posted:

Hey, Matt I found a Christmas gift you can give Pat.

Drop your pen

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Andrast posted:

Paranoia.

Thanks, picture is now a link. You may be turned off by the price now though. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Charles Martel posted:

What I mean by a critique is an article looking at something from a purely aesthetic viewpoint, and analyzing it as a work of art. Critiques often can not have scores, and are generally more subjective in nature, though they can be pretty analytical and academic as well. Critiques are also an aesthetic object as well, and the best critics are amazing writers in their own right. Price is a footnote to a critique, which is really concerned with the artistic merit of the subject. Sometimes critiques don't even have any kind of scoring metric, which is almost never true of consumer reports.

A consumer report is an article that looks at the subject through the lens of value. The ultimate goal of it is to inform buying decisions and looks at a product in a much more functional way. Aesthetics can come into play, but as a part of determining whether or not something is worth buying, especially compared to similar products. Consumer reports are, frankly, often less interesting to read, since they are generally a detailing of pros and cons, and it's very important that the writing be as clear and as objective as possible. Hyperbole gets used a lot in critiques (Ebert was a master of this), but is totally inappropriate in this kind of review.

Since Pat used a car analogy to explain, and this is SA after all, let me continue on. Car and Driver makes consumer reports: they look at a car's statistics, test drive it, look at other offerings in the same price range/class, and give it a score. The show Top Gear does critiques. The focus there isn't on numbers, mileage, or price, but on the feel of the car and the joy driving a cool car fast. Those things are all in there, but they've reviewed cars before and said things like, "At this price, you can get an BMW M3, which has more horsepower, more comfortable seats, more features, and the same mileage. But this car is WAY MORE FUN so we love it."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just got around to watching the Samurai Cop riff video and man what a ride.

"WHY DIDN'T YOU HIT MY PENIS WITH THE SANDWICH?!" - Pat, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hey guys, guess what's coming to PS4

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I'm sure they'll be very happy once Sony unmelts that PS4. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Cross
Dec 10, 2014

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Watching the trailer was worth it just for him. Still, I gotta give credit where credit is due. Those changes for DmC Definitive Edition sound great.