Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I met the actor Neil Roberts at a convention once and he told me that all the stories you've ever heard about the Hoff are true. All of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Testekill posted:

Walker also did his Disneycember for Kiki’s Delivery Service today. If he loves the flying scenes in that then I can't wait to see his reaction to Porko Rosso which does them beautifully.
http://channelawesome.com/disneycember-porco-rosso/
He can't beyond why he's a pig, its just one of those weird things Doug does with stuff. Like how he hates swamps

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Doug can't into magical realism, I guess.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

It's really weird, he's cool with witches just existing and nobody noticing but a guy being cursed to look like a pig and nobody caring is just too out there? This sounds snobby as poo poo but I have a feeling that Doug really just didn't get it. Porco Rosso is just like an old adventure novel and it's not there for you to just think out everything.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Considering he thought Bee Movie was decent, I can't say I'm completely surprised, but still...

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Not having seen the film, I can understand what he's saying. The curse lacks weight in the story. Beyond the "when pigs fly" thing, there is no obvious symbolism to being a pig. No real drawbacks. It's not much of a curse when it doesn't ruin your life. Still looks like a good movie. I should really watch all of Miyazaki's works sometime.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Doug is Doug about movies, new at 11. Beep boop Doug doesn't understand things that everyone else gets, news at 12.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Dec 12, 2014

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Tracula posted:

Doug is Doug about movies, new at 11. Beep boop Doug doesn't understand things that everyone else gets, news at 12.

Liar Lyre posted:

Not having seen the film, I can understand what he's saying. The curse lacks weight in the story. Beyond the "when pigs fly" thing, there is no obvious symbolism to being a pig. No real drawbacks. It's not much of a curse when it doesn't ruin your life. Still looks like a good movie. I should really watch all of Miyazaki's works sometime.

In fairness, the movie is magical realism that also largely relies on an understanding of Miyazaki's life and interests. Porco is him. It's the closest thing to an autobiographical movie he made until The Wind Rises happened.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Jay O posted:

In fairness, the movie is magical realism that also largely relies on an understanding of Miyazaki's life and interests. Porco is him. It's the closest thing to an autobiographical movie he made until The Wind Rises happened.

Are you sure? I just saw Porco Rosso as one of my first Miyazaki films and just enjoyed it as a really good, fun movie. I'm not saying you're wrong but I thing the layman can appreciate it as a good movie rather than any sort of autobiography.

If I had to rank my favorite Miyazaki films I'd have to say Castle in the Sky. I know there's a general environmental message to it all but overall I just love it as such a fun adventure film with really amazing characters. It felt like there was no real pretense there just a great story with great characters.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

It's a shame that he didn't do Castle of Cagliostro. Because that's a cool movie also.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Testekill posted:

It's a shame that he didn't do Castle of Cagliostro. Because that's a cool movie also.

I thought Cagliostro wasn't considered a "real" Miyazaki film ? Somebody, I wanna say J-O but I'm not sure, talked about that movie once in a video.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

Tracula posted:

Are you sure? I just saw Porco Rosso as one of my first Miyazaki films and just enjoyed it as a really good, fun movie. I'm not saying you're wrong but I thing the layman can appreciate it as a good movie rather than any sort of autobiography.

Oh, I agree! The autobiographical stuff just gives the magical realism stuff more context. That said, if you can't handle the (largely metaphorical) unexplained existence of pig-head-man in the movie to begin with, there's nothing to be done.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Bad Wolf posted:

I thought Cagliostro wasn't considered a "real" Miyazaki film ? Somebody, I wanna say J-O but I'm not sure, talked about that movie once in a video.

No, it's "real"--one of Miyazaki and Takahata's first gigs was the original Lupin III TV series--but it's not a Ghibli movie, and it's never been released by Disney. Manga Video used to have the US rights; now it's Discotek.

David "Solid Snake" Hayter plays Lupin in the dub!

E: And when I double-checked Hayter's role on IMDB, JO's review was the second result.

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 12, 2014

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Castle of Cagliostro is just a great all-around-fun adventure movie, even if you're not into anime at all. Like, I wouldn't even recommend it as a "gateway drug to anime", since it's so broadly appealing that enjoying it wouldn't acclimatize you to anime at all.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Keromaru5 posted:

No, it's "real"--one of Miyazaki and Takahata's first gigs was the original Lupin III TV series--but it's not a Ghibli movie, and it's never been released by Disney. Manga Video used to have the US rights; now it's Discotek.

David "Solid Snake" Hayter plays Lupin in the dub!

E: And when I double-checked Hayter's role on IMDB, JO's review was the second result.

Ah, right, I got it mixed up a bit, because of the Ghibli thing. By the way, I own that movie. It has both an English and Japanese audio track, but the subtitles are in Dutch. (Because I got it in Belgium) The subtitles are for the Japanese track, but they're used for the English track as well. It's quite the mindfuck when your subtitles are saying something completely different from the audio.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
And the season finale of Baywatching!
http://olpresents.blogspot.com/2014/12/baywatching-end.html

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

The music you use when someone's rambling on about nothing is delightful.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
That would be the classic A&W Rootbear theme.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Man watching old Best of Worst and its so weird seeing Jack with hair

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

JonTron celebrates the holidays by taking on whatever the hell this is.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

And Goat Simulator thinks it's edgy

Put this on Steam and it would dwarf Bad Rats in a week

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I’ve got a new Cheapskate episode, in which I watch a film cobbled together out of episodes of the Gerry and Sylvia Anderson submarine show Stingray, and it’s super-ridiculous.

My show is now on Channel Zero, which has a combination of well-established hosts (Sursum Ursa, Sofie Liv, Mr. Mendo) and some insurgents that are worth your while (Oddity Archive, the only show that can get me interested in the test pattern; the Cine-Masochist, who gushes over splatter films like Sursum Ursa gushes over nerdgirl stuff; the Absent Commentator, who has a Doug Walker-style show and who talks exactly like Mr. Garrison from South Park).

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

I heard about this on SA a few years ago. I don't remember how. So I downloaded the demo, and it really is as nuts as it seems. You can still get it here: http://download.cnet.com/The-Zoo-Race/3000-7513_4-10742141.html

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Doug did Whisper of the Heart today. I've never seen it before but apparently it looks like it ties into the Cat Returns which is pretty neat.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Ema Nymton posted:

I heard about this on SA a few years ago. I don't remember how. So I downloaded the demo, and it really is as nuts as it seems. You can still get it here: http://download.cnet.com/The-Zoo-Race/3000-7513_4-10742141.html

I think I saw the game run during AGDQ one year? I have some memory of it from some live stream.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Testekill posted:

Doug did Whisper of the Heart today. I've never seen it before but apparently it looks like it ties into the Cat Returns which is pretty neat.
It does, sort of. The Cat Returns is based on a story the main character of Whisper of the Heart writes over the course of that movie, inspired by a cat statue she saw at an antique shop.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Are we allowed to laugh at JonTron videos again? Or do I need to watch this with a foul taste in my mouth and a lingering sense that I'm enjoying the works of a man that thinks some people aren't people?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

OK, time to start taking bets for Todd's year end lists for a month from now when they come out, if last year repeats itself.

Tentatively, I'm pegging Shake it Off for Todd's #1 worst of 2014, because it exactly fits his profile for #1 worsts in past years: powerfully bland and totally inoffensive pop song your mom loves, that there's zero reason to hate except for the total lack of reasons to love. I have no ideas at all for #1 best of the year, maybe Turn Down for What? What songs did Todd even like this year?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

DStecks posted:

OK, time to start taking bets for Todd's year end lists for a month from now when they come out, if last year repeats itself.

Tentatively, I'm pegging Shake it Off for Todd's #1 worst of 2014, because it exactly fits his profile for #1 worsts in past years: powerfully bland and totally inoffensive pop song your mom loves, that there's zero reason to hate except for the total lack of reasons to love. I have no ideas at all for #1 best of the year, maybe Turn Down for What? What songs did Todd even like this year?

He liked Pompeii right? Hopefully he has George Ezra high on his best of the year list although apparently he hasn't really cracked the charts in America.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

Testekill posted:

He liked Pompeii right? Hopefully he has George Ezra high on his best of the year list although apparently he hasn't really cracked the charts in America.

Yeah George Ezra is a big name in the UK only. He didn't make even the tiniest dent here (yet.)

I too am unsure of what would be on his list because this year suuuuuuuuuucked.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Automatic Man song of the year all years. :colbert:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Testekill posted:

I think he was down on the chorus enough that it's not necessarily a sure thing for the list. Part of the problem is that Todd only released 12 pop song reviews this year, and not a single one of them was uniformly positive, so it's hard to make Best Of list predictions based on his reviews.

I'd expect Happy to make a showing on the list, and maybe All About That Bass? Maybe? Sing by Ed Sheeran was unexpectedly decent. Personally, I'd probably put Anaconda at #1 if only because it was the only song this year that felt like it was trying. Everything else was very "imma just do my thing and not put in any effort more than the bare minimum", Anaconda at least had some ambition.

FAKE EDIT: Actually Todd has a long-standing hardon for Pharrell, so yeah Happy has a very good chance of being #1 despite being thoroughly "imma just do my thing and not put in any effort more than the bare minimum".

REAL EDIT: I have no idea who George Ezra is but if he isn't on the Billboard Year-End 100 list, then he can't be on Todd's list. That's how it works.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

DStecks posted:

Tentatively, I'm pegging Shake it Off for Todd's #1 worst of 2014

I dunno, I liked that song
(when properly filtered)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNgZ2VRd964

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Huh, apparently Riptide by Vance Joy did decently over in America. That would be top ten for sure in my eyes. I mean, it was number 1 on the Triple J hottest 100 last year and that's a good indicator of quality.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

He's mentioned Rather Be by Clean Bandit a few times on Twitter, so that's my bet for #1 best. It's my personal #1, anyway.

DStecks posted:

I'd probably put Anaconda at #1 if only because it was the only song this year that felt like it was trying. Everything else was very "imma just do my thing and not put in any effort more than the bare minimum", Anaconda at least had some ambition.

Also, Anaconda is loving terrible and the only reason it's not my #1 worst of the year is because Animals by Maroon 5 exists. I'd make an effortpost why, but I'd pretty much be repeating the Rap Critic word-for-word so I might as well just let him say it. Like, I'm seriously wondering why you (or anyone, really) not only like this song, but think it's literally the best hit song of the year. How the hell can you possibly say that a song that's basically a worse remix of Baby Got Back (which isn't really that good to begin with) as a song that tried to hardest out of 100 different options?

No offense to you personally, but your argument makes absolutely no sense to me and it's only because of your past history of pretty decent posting that I'm not brushing you off as a troll. I'm honestly interested in hearing a defense of this song.

quote:

REAL EDIT: I have no idea who George Ezra is but if he isn't on the Billboard Year-End 100 list, then he can't be on Todd's list. That's how it works.

I think it's also eligible if it made it into the top 20 at any point in the year.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 15, 2014

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
I don't think 'Shake It Off' will be at #1 on the Worst Songs list. It'll most likely make the list one way or another (whether properly or in an honourable mention), but I doubt it'll top the list. The only part of the song he really hated was the bridge breakdown ('THIS. SICK. BEAT', etc.)

I wouldn't be surprised to see Maroon 5 on the list, either through 'Maps' or 'Animals'. I hope he talks about the latter song at some point - it may be Maroon 5's worst song ever, even worse than 'One More Night'.

I think he said via Twitter that he really liked that Clean Bandit song, so that's a possibility for the Best Songs list.

E: Beaten on both M5 and Clean Bandit.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

No offense to you personally, but your argument makes absolutely no sense to me and it's only because of your past history of pretty decent posting that I'm not brushing you off as a troll. I'm honestly interested in hearing a defense of this song.

Music is absurdly subjective, so I don't feel the need to defend my liking it. As for its semi-objective quality, 2014 was a boring as gently caress year in music, and Anaconda drips with personality (whether you like that personality or not). Nicki Minaj is a talented rapper and Anaconda is more-or-less her Rap God: musically questionable but an undeniable showcase of her talent as an artist. Make no mistake, I don't love Anaconda, I'm just talking in the context of a Todd list, and his taste and mine often don't overlap.

A song I really really liked this year was Love Runs out by OneRepublic, a band I've never been that sold on before. Say Something by A Great Big World was good, Love Never Felt So Good is about as good as a posthumous Michael Jackson song is going to get, and Come With Me Now and Me And My Broken Heart were decent I guess.

ZakAce posted:

I don't think 'Shake It Off' will be at #1 on the Worst Songs list.

I am :toxx:ing myself that Shake it Off will be #1 on Todd's poo poo list. It completely fits his past #1 picks, in a specific way that no other song on the list does. Remember that Todd's #1 is never the actual worst song of the year, just the one that most closely fits his bizarre concept of ungood, or lets him make a point about how he feels about the artist. Shake It Off hits both options.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
That's pretty bold. I'd have to listen to that review again. Had he hated it that much?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

He's soured on Taylor Swift enough to want to make a point of one of her songs being #1, and that's actually his MO more than "ungood" is, looking back on his picks.

Of course, he could come from left field and pick something truly rancid as #1, but I don't see that happening (unless one of the ChannelAwesomers itt decides they'd like me banned).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

DStecks posted:

Music is absurdly subjective, so I don't feel the need to defend my liking it. As for its semi-objective quality, 2014 was a boring as gently caress year in music, and Anaconda drips with personality (whether you like that personality or not). Nicki Minaj is a talented rapper and Anaconda is more-or-less her Rap God: musically questionable but an undeniable showcase of her talent as an artist. Make no mistake, I don't love Anaconda, I'm just talking in the context of a Todd list, and his taste and mine often don't overlap.

Fair enough. I still disagree with some of the points you're making, but there's no sense arguing if you don't want to.

quote:

I am :toxx:ing myself that Shake it Off will be #1 on Todd's poo poo list. It completely fits his past #1 picks, in a specific way that no other song on the list does. Remember that Todd's #1 is never the actual worst song of the year, just the one that most closely fits his bizarre concept of ungood, or lets him make a point about how he feels about the artist. Shake It Off hits both options.

This is 100% on point though.

• Locked thread