Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Chinatown posted:

Yup. Its completely understandable. I have been in that exact situation a couple times. One last week. I braked, slightly altered course to the right, and kept the car steady. I was going ~80mph at the time.

I understand the reaction to jerk the wheel, but sorry, you eat poo poo from it, that's COMPLETELY ON YOU.

You are COMPLETELY RESPONSIBLE for the control of your multi-thousand pound flying missile. Evasive maneuvers included.

Take a cab if you can't accept that very obvious fact.

It comes down once again to driver training. The vast majority of people on the road have no clue how to do anything but go straight. I've had this sort of thing happen multiple times due to driving a grey sub compact, my car is invisible to the average moron on the road. But I know how to move out of the way of danger without losing control of my vehicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wigbot v2.0
Oct 10, 2008

Hales

MiniFoo posted:

That's the reason why I bought mine, because of the form-factor.

Let me know if you have any overheating issues with those added vents, or if your battery decides to poo poo itself randomly every once in a while when you power-off your car (unless you got the capacitor version, in which case, you're lucky).

Not sure which mine is, any way of telling?

I need to get to grips with the settings.. I think I've somehow set it to never turn off, as it seemed to stay on throughout my work shift.. Unless my car's 12v socket is always on.

Which hard-wiring kit would I need for this model? Would a generic eBay kit do the job?

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

wigbot v2.0 posted:

Not sure which mine is, any way of telling?

I need to get to grips with the settings.. I think I've somehow set it to never turn off, as it seemed to stay on throughout my work shift.. Unless my car's 12v socket is always on.

Which hard-wiring kit would I need for this model? Would a generic eBay kit do the job?

Well if you can turn it on without the USB cable being plugged in, you probably don't have the capacitor version. Also, if it's staying turned on even when your car's off, then yeah, your cigarette lighter socket is constantly powered.

Look earlier in the thread for a fuse tap kit.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I'm looking for a dashcam that has good night vision. I've read the thread and the g1w is the go to but I want to know about its night vision and if people are still having them wonk out randomly.

My 40 dollar pyle action cam has served me well, but when it gets power, it doesn't actually record anymore. lovely software I guess.

Looking to get something new with good night vision.

The last video I got with my pyle was this during the last storm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BF0R9qt8Gw

That was with high beams and aux lights. Need it to record audio and when it gets USB power it starts recording. Would prefer it to keep recording for a bit when I stall out after hitting a snow bank.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
G1w has decent night performance, but battery issues.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

tuna posted:

Someone merged into me incredibly slowly just now. No damage at all except the tire ring of shame my Jeep's 37" tires left on their Prius. mini 0801 night quality isnt that great, dirty window doesn't help either.

Very avoidable accident on my end I know, I saw them get close but from where I sit, I can't tell when their wheels go over the line. I should've not been in their blind spot etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJKq9Fvq5eo

The ring of shame is hilarious.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 233 days!)

For anyone who is a poor like me and thinks this is a good idea, this cheapo turd is actually worth the $17 (I paid $15). You can turn off most of the 'cheap stupid poo poo made to impress nobody', change the boot logo images, et al. The battery will charge for at least an hour when I did an override to keep it on after I turned off the ignition. I decided to feed it a class 4 card, instead of a class 10, and it works just fine. In poor light it switches to black and white until there is enough color to saturate, but I don't think it actually has IR.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

nm posted:

G1w has decent night performance, but battery issues.

I've got USB hard wired to keyed ignition. Just need a camera that I can bolt in.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Slow is Fast posted:

I've got USB hard wired to keyed ignition. Just need a camera that I can bolt in.

It still needs some sort of internal power so that it can shut down cleanly.

I'll toss in a "meh" on the G1W-C, mine has been failing to boot reliably for a while now. Takes anywhere from one to several power cycles to get past the Welcome screen.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Slow is Fast posted:

I've got a similar set up and use a Mobius. The only down side is that it doesn't supply all the power I wish it had, and I have to bring it in for a charge once every 2 weeks or so.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Viggen posted:

For anyone who is a poor like me and thinks this is a good idea, this cheapo turd is actually worth the $17 (I paid $15). You can turn off most of the 'cheap stupid poo poo made to impress nobody', change the boot logo images, et al. The battery will charge for at least an hour when I did an override to keep it on after I turned off the ignition. I decided to feed it a class 4 card, instead of a class 10, and it works just fine. In poor light it switches to black and white until there is enough color to saturate, but I don't think it actually has IR.

The light would reflect off of the glass and you wouldn't be able to see anything if you mean an IR LED

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Slow is Fast posted:

As IOC said, it creates shutdown issues. If it doesn't shut down right, your videos get corrupted.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I really wish there was a dashcam that, like a stereo, would take both a ignition-hot and an always-hot line.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I really wish there was a dashcam that, like a stereo, would take both a ignition-hot and an always-hot line.

It really feels like a market ripe for a kickstarter.
Or you know, car manufacturers getting their heads out of their asses and just adding a small recording module to the numerous cameras that already equip newer cars.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

nm posted:

As IOC said, it creates shutdown issues. If it doesn't shut down right, your videos get corrupted.

Great, so I need a camera that will have a battery in it that will also stay full all the time and not deplete itself when on and hooked up to USB.

I found the GT680w which has awesome night vision, but a tiny battery.... I need this to record like 12 hours straight and not throw a fit.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

nm posted:

Finally, a valid use for a turbo timer!

I'm sure there's an easy way to radio shack up a "stay on for a few minutes after I get out" circuit. That or hard wire constant 12v to the internal battery contacts so it uses the car battery as its battery.

Jay-Zeus
Jan 5, 2004
I don't believe it!
Fun Shoe
Anyone have experience with the DOD LS430W or LS330W? I had a couple close calls recently to warrant looking into a dashcam.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/dod-ls430w-2-7in-lcd-1080p-52-94316-1849.htm
http://www.ncix.com/detail/dod-ls330w-2-7in-lcd-1080p-b8-94317-1849.htm

nm
Jan 28, 2008

LloydDobler posted:

I'm sure there's an easy way to radio shack up a "stay on for a few minutes after I get out" circuit. That or hard wire constant 12v to the internal battery contacts so it uses the car battery as its battery.

That only works if you manually shut the camera off. The camera uses the 12v to either turn off or on.
The first would result in corruption as it wouldn't complete the shut down. It would just shut down later.
The second would drain the battery.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 233 days!)

PuTTY riot posted:

The light would reflect off of the glass and you wouldn't be able to see anything if you mean an IR LED

Just like my security cams do (that have it). :haw:

Yes, it claims to have an IR LED, but I think it just has a garbge CCD that goes B&W without a lot of light saturation. You get decent viewing with just the headlights, but it works better with high beams. For <$20, I'm still not going to complain. I'm going to pick up a second one for my folks, who will make good use of 'turn it on and ignore it'. It seems perfectly fine for basic use, but I managed to get mine stuck (trapped) by changing modes when trying to record the aftermath of this last night, and I wasn't going to play with it too much when first in line waiting for the county trooper to let me go. Turns out I accidentally paused it, but you have to do a proper sequence of buttons to get it out of this mode afterwards. :v:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Got an 0803 and haven't messed to much with the settings, just set it to 1980x1080 HDR. Lights have a bit of glare but it seems to be ok.

http://youtu.be/JuTgOT97h4M

One day after getting the cam. There have been others but not quite as messed up as this yet.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Aaaand 1 month in, my 0801 led started blinking erratically/randomly. gently caress. Good thing Amazon has my rear end covered.
Any reputable brand making dashcams ?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I just ordered an 0805, here's hoping it isnt poo poo

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Spatule posted:

Aaaand 1 month in, my 0801 led started blinking erratically/randomly. gently caress. Good thing Amazon has my rear end covered.

All the Mobius users here seem happy.

Including me.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

spog posted:

All the Mobius users here seem happy.

Including me.

Mobius is indeed good! After I did extensive research, I found that although it wasn't G1X level cheap, spending the extra money on it is worth it for dependability, ease of use, and versatility.

Supremely satisfied with mine. Got it from Banggood for like $72.

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.
Has anyone put in a rear facing camera (out the back window), would be curious to see the setup in photos.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hit an Apex posted:

Has anyone put in a rear facing camera (out the back window), would be curious to see the setup in photos.

I might do this with my G1W if/when I replace it with something else up front. My WJ already has a lighter in the hatch area so it shouldn't be too painful to do.

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I might do this with my G1W if/when I replace it with something else up front. My WJ already has a lighter in the hatch area so it shouldn't be too painful to do.

That is basically what I am toying with, minus the lighter and adding the run wires through the car bullshit.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Spatule posted:

I've had my Powerucc Panorama 2 for about a year now and I'm quite happy with it. It was around $200 with the GPS module. There is a newer one out now with the GPS built-in, maybe for a lower price. It's more expensive than most obviously but the quality is good and the firmware gets updated. The only problems I've had turn out to be from using a microSD card in an adapter. Those stop working when it gets hot.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Hit an Apex posted:

I just finished my install of a rear cam last weekend. I'll try and post a photo tomorrow, but I've got an 0803 on the windshield and a Mobius on a plastic cap in the headliner above the backseat.

It could probably look nicer, but honestly I'm not too concerned about it. It doesn't stick out too much.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I've been reading this thread, trying to find a camera for my dad, it has to be "leave it and forget it" kind of operation. He was reading glowing reviews of G1W but mostly wants it because of the large screen that he'll never ever use. Just like mini 0803/1 there are user submitted pictures on amazon showing cameras melting and falling apart. Is G1W good enough for him or is there something better that I'm missing. My price range is under $100 and that's with the memory card. Which Mobius camera is everyone referring to? Thanks

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Christ, there is already the Mini 0806 coming out soon.

how old is the 0803? it seemed relatively new to the market when I got mine about 4 months ago.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Laserface posted:

Christ, there is already the Mini 0806 coming out soon.

how old is the 0803? it seemed relatively new to the market when I got mine about 4 months ago.

It's the 2014 model. They've released the mini 0805 and 0806 (2015 models) at about the same time. From my understanding, there are only minor differences in components and the biggest thing is that there is newer firmware with the 0805/0806. Not worth it to get to rid of your existing equipment unless it's giving you problems, imo.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Wickerman posted:

It's the 2014 model. They've released the mini 0805 and 0806 (2015 models) at about the same time. From my understanding, there are only minor differences in components and the biggest thing is that there is newer firmware with the 0805/0806. Not worth it to get to rid of your existing equipment unless it's giving you problems, imo.

Cool.

I predict after an Australian Summer that I will be in the market for a new camera anyway. Parking outside sucks.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

So far this is the only mildly youtube-worthy dashcam footage I've got, which I suppose is a good thing. I know it's an old Seville land-barge but jesus, don't swerve across the opposing lane like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-2Kl_9yDFQ

The camera is a Mini 0803. Looks better in raw format, iMovie + youtube compression kinda screwed over the resolution.

Thanks, fixed. That's how much I pay attention to youtube.
\/\/\/

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 19, 2014

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Your video is set to private.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Spatule posted:

My wife's cam started crapping out today. Can't send it back since I removed the inscriptions on it, trying some glue between the GPS foot and the camera itself to keep them stable...

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Nuclear Tourist posted:

So far this is the only mildly youtube-worthy dashcam footage I've got, which I suppose is a good thing. I know it's an old Seville land-barge but jesus, don't swerve across the opposing lane like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-2Kl_9yDFQ

The camera is a Mini 0803. Looks better in raw format, iMovie + youtube compression kinda screwed over the resolution.

Thanks, fixed. That's how much I pay attention to youtube.
\/\/\/

"How do I turn this thinggggg"

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Just found out that my dashcam hasn't been "recording" for about three weeks now. The recording light had been blinking to signify that it was, but it wasn't writing anything to the SD card. I updated the firmware today and it seems to have resolved itself, but this thing is stupid.

If anybody wants the same form factor that I got, though, I'd look into this version instead. Seems to have higher quality parts, a custom firmware specific to its hardware revisions, and much better customer support.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Spatule posted:

My wife's cam started crapping out today. Can't send it back since I removed the inscriptions on it, trying some glue between the GPS foot and the camera itself to keep them stable...

The glue seems to work (PVC pipe type).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MiniFoo posted:

Just found out that my dashcam hasn't been "recording" for about three weeks now. The recording light had been blinking to signify that it was, but it wasn't writing anything to the SD card. I updated the firmware today and it seems to have resolved itself, but this thing is stupid.

If anybody wants the same form factor that I got, though, I'd look into this version instead. Seems to have higher quality parts, a custom firmware specific to its hardware revisions, and much better customer support.

Well drat, I'll have to check mine and see if it's dead, too.