Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

baquerd posted:

I've never heard of a grad school pulling a credit report, but then again I've never heard of a shop as presumably small as a tattoo artist bothering to properly register with credit agencies to report debts either. I mean, graduate schools are pretty much in the business of taking money from people with no credit, I don't see why they would have a problem with bad credit.

But then again, admissions officers are well known for calling around to all the tattoo shops in the nation, asking about prospective students who may owe a tattoo artist money, which is of course, an immediate disqualification for admission.
I know when I applied to grad school they definitely called both my tattooist and my dealer to see if I was a chill dude or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I know when I applied to grad school they definitely called both my tattooist and my dealer to see if I was a chill dude or not.

I'm pretty sure they also require a full strip-search to check for any unfinished tattoos because that's a big red warning light right there, like why else wouldn't you finish it unless you owed someone big time.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Quit being such a grumpy pants, nigga

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Smoking Crow posted:

Fwiw, I didn't expect it to be on an installment plan
Out of morbid curiosity... If the tattoo was $640, and you didn't have $640, why didn't you expect to be on an installment plan?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Thanatosian posted:

Out of morbid curiosity... If the tattoo was $640, and you didn't have $640, why didn't you expect to be on an installment plan?

He went longer than was expected

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
What are you hoping to do in grad school, anyway? Also you definitely need to post pictures of your tattoo.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

El_Elegante posted:

What are you hoping to do in grad school, anyway? Also you definitely need to post pictures of your tattoo.

I want to get my Ph.D. in history studying Late Antiquity/Christian Church history. My dream is to then go to seminary and get ordained to be a Greek Orthodox priest, and being a parish priest while and do odd academic things if I am able. Or teach at a seminary, be an assistant priest/college professor, wherever I'm needed.

Or maybe I'll abandon all my U.S. debts and become a farmer in Romania, who knows these days ;)

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Dec 13, 2014

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Really doesn't sound like you're cut out for life outside the ivory tower. Do grad students get meal plans too? Just live out the remainder of your days never leaving campus.

Also post the tattoo.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

El_Elegante posted:

Really doesn't sound like you're cut out for life outside the ivory tower. Do grad students get meal plans too? Just live out the remainder of your days never leaving campus.

Also post the tattoo.

I take that back, here's the lining

http://instagram.com/p/wHTrrXvYL1/

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Dec 13, 2014

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Definitely worth giving up your pills.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

El_Elegante posted:

Definitely worth giving up your pills.

You're right, I shouldn't have asked or done it at all. I apologize to everyone here.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Don't be sorry, it's an illuminating example of how your parents and our education system have failed you.

Also the legal Qs thread is at its best when it's about incredibly petty non-criminal stuff between two irresponsible parties.

Protip: if you don't have an emergency fund that can absorb a couple hundred bucks, you can't afford a tattoo.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Smoking Crow posted:

The Orthodox Church is fine with tattoos on it's priests?

They're fine with priests with tattoos of saints?

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

Smoking Crow posted:

I want to get my Ph.D. in history studying Late Antiquity/Christian Church history. My dream is to then go to seminary and get ordained to be a Greek Orthodox priest, and being a parish priest while and do odd academic things if I am able. Or teach at a seminary, be an assistant priest/college professor, wherever I'm needed.

Or maybe I'll abandon all my U.S. debts and become a farmer in Romania, who knows these days ;)

If you want to be a priest shouldn't you go to seminary? Not graduate school? Anyways I know this is the legal advice thread but I think I remember you from the grad school academia thread. Don't go into debt to get a phd. You will be poor stressed and overworked for 4-8 years. There are no jobs. If you are OK with that then go. I know a few colleagues who are in your field so pm or email me if you have any questions.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

The Orthodox Church is fine with tattoos on it's priests?

They're fine with priests with tattoos of saints?

Haven't you seen Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade? He gets in a scrap with some tattooed Orthodox priests.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

Smoking Crow posted:

The worst part is how boring and trite the tattoo is. Get better taste in art, please.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Wait so don't we know now which crazy loving tattoo artist to NEVER GO TO?

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

That's the thing, I didn't know that he meant last Sunday for the interest rates to show up, I thought he meant this coming Sunday. I had to give him all of my money because of that. I had to skip getting prescriptions I take today in order to pay him back, so I cannot pay him the remaining $100, which I should not have to pay him anyway since we had already agreed is taken off the final session

Uh, why are you spending hundreds of dollars on a tattoo when you're so close to broke that you had to skip getting prescriptions over paying for it?

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Uh, why are you spending hundreds of dollars on a tattoo when you're so close to broke that you had to skip getting prescriptions over paying for it?

Pretty much everyone I know with tattoos is a broke hipster. If only financially responsible people got tattoos, there would be no tattoo artists. Obviously some of them have expanded into usury as well, which only makes sense since they prey on the poor.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
So this is no $640 tattoo, but our generally disappointing shithole of an apartment complex in Chicago (city of, not a suburb), has bedbugs... AGAIN.
We had them this summer because the girl two floors up from us came home from a week at her boyfriend's infested NYC apartment, dropped her poo poo on the floor and left for a month on a business trip, meaning all of the apartments below her got infested. After fighting the land management company for weeks, getting bitten and them putting it off, we got treated for it and re-signed the lease with a higher rent (because we are stupid lazy morons, in hindsight), on the written condition that the place was bed-bug free. That was September, after discovering the bugs in June.
Well, they skipped on paying the exterminator to come and do preventative treatments, so last night I turned on the faucet and with the water, a a loving bedbug came out. Which means they are probably coming down, again, from upstairs.
In addition to bed bugs every 4 months or so, there is also a hole in our bathroom, our tub was never correctly reglazed and there is a constant recognizable odor of sewage that emanates from the basement.

So I want out NOW. There's not a security deposit, but we are looking at places and I don't want it to look bad that we are breaking a lease, but this has become unsafe and untenable. If I write them another letter saying we are leaving because of bed bugs and failure to maintain a healthy living environment and give them the 10 days to shape the gently caress up, can I still leave? I hate this place and people are vacating quickly: we have like 4 completely empty apartments that haven't been full for months now.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Smoking Crow posted:

Yes, I know this, I paid him that much. I just got really worried when he started talking about ruining my chances of getting into grad school.

He's an idiot. Also, the cops would tell him he has a contract dispute and that is a civil matter.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Smoking Crow posted:

No, the lining and shading was $640, I just paid half and half.

edit: He made it sound like he was going to hit me with a felony.

Just so you know for next time, the cops wouldn't have jurisdiction if you got tattooed on a boat.

Also, 20% interest per day? Loan sharks don't call the police, except in Chicago.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Eponine posted:

So this is no $640 tattoo, but our generally disappointing shithole of an apartment complex in Chicago (city of, not a suburb), has bedbugs... AGAIN.
We had them this summer because the girl two floors up from us came home from a week at her boyfriend's infested NYC apartment, dropped her poo poo on the floor and left for a month on a business trip, meaning all of the apartments below her got infested. After fighting the land management company for weeks, getting bitten and them putting it off, we got treated for it and re-signed the lease with a higher rent (because we are stupid lazy morons, in hindsight), on the written condition that the place was bed-bug free. That was September, after discovering the bugs in June.
Well, they skipped on paying the exterminator to come and do preventative treatments, so last night I turned on the faucet and with the water, a a loving bedbug came out. Which means they are probably coming down, again, from upstairs.
In addition to bed bugs every 4 months or so, there is also a hole in our bathroom, our tub was never correctly reglazed and there is a constant recognizable odor of sewage that emanates from the basement.

So I want out NOW. There's not a security deposit, but we are looking at places and I don't want it to look bad that we are breaking a lease, but this has become unsafe and untenable. If I write them another letter saying we are leaving because of bed bugs and failure to maintain a healthy living environment and give them the 10 days to shape the gently caress up, can I still leave? I hate this place and people are vacating quickly: we have like 4 completely empty apartments that haven't been full for months now.

Caveat: I am not a lawyer.

How does your new lease address "written condition that the place was bed-bug free"? Does it say what happens if it's not?

See this FAQ about rental rights for Chicago:

http://www.cityofchicago.org/content/dam/city/depts/dcd/general/housing/RLTOEnglish.pdf

Unless the lease otherwise addresses this bedbug issue, it seems like you could write a letter treating it as a Major Defect per the FAQ, and then leave after the 14 days if it's not addressed. The other things you mentioned seem more like Minor Defects.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Devor posted:

Caveat: I am not a lawyer.

How does your new lease address "written condition that the place was bed-bug free"? Does it say what happens if it's not?

See this FAQ about rental rights for Chicago:

http://www.cityofchicago.org/content/dam/city/depts/dcd/general/housing/RLTOEnglish.pdf

Unless the lease otherwise addresses this bedbug issue, it seems like you could write a letter treating it as a Major Defect per the FAQ, and then leave after the 14 days if it's not addressed. The other things you mentioned seem more like Minor Defects.

Before we signed the lease, I wrote a letter following probably the same guidelines that we were re signing the lease on a bed bug free place (we'd had someone come in three times and check it and say there was nothing there).

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Eponine posted:

Before we signed the lease, I wrote a letter following probably the same guidelines that we were re signing the lease on a bed bug free place (we'd had someone come in three times and check it and say there was nothing there).

As a layperson, I don't see how the letter gives you any additional rights. Is it an addendum to the lease? Does it explicitly give you an option to break the lease if there's an infestation? The landlord may have taken the letter and given you assurances that don't mean anything because they're not in the contract you signed to lease the apartment.

The reasonable response from your landlord to a bedbug infestation is to hire an exterminator. Apparently your landlord isn't doing that? And that's a problem. But the solution that Chicago tells you to use is to give the landlord the 14-day ultimatum to fix it.

You may look at the lease to see what your other options are to end the lease prematurely - sometimes you can pay a month's rent to break it early, if it's worth it to you.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Dorkopotamis posted:

I recently purchased an extended service contract on my Dell laptop for three years. Cut to a month later, me on the phone with Dell tech support and them telling me that they never had the parts to service my computer, that the warranty was sold in error. My only recourse, to be refunded my warranty.

This seems fishy to me on the premise that most warranties are never called in. How many other people have purchased warranties like this and how many will never find out? How much is Dell making from this? Is this poo poo legal?

Update: After making a fuss they've decided to replace the laptop with a laptop they can service. Never give up, Goons!

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

Dorkopotamis posted:

Update: After making a fuss they've decided to replace the laptop with a laptop they can service. Never give up, Goons!

Making a fuss is always the right answer. At a certain point, dealing with your complaints becomes more expensive than giving you want you want.

Nine Five Four
Aug 26, 2014

I want numbers. Lots and lots of numbers.
Hi, I'm hoping for some (general) help here.

My ex got out of the Navy and all our stuff was put into military storage, as we thought we were going to take our time with picking where to live and stuff. Anyways, after he got out he left me, and now we're divorcing which has taken a turn for the worse.

He signed a specific power of attorney so I could get the car into my name only which I already did. But it's not one that JAG did. We did it on LegalZoom. There was a provision about the car, and also this other provision:

quote:

TANGIBLE PERSONAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS:

Buy or otherwise acquire ownership or possession of, sell or otherwise dispose of, mortgage, pledge, assign, lease, insure, maintain, improve, pay taxes, otherwise manage personal property that I now own or later acquire.

This leads me to believe I could use the POA I have to get our household goods shipped because it says "otherwise manage personal property." It's in our divorce agreement we both signed that the goods would be shipped to me, but now I have reason to believe he won't comply, and this could be my way around it to make sure it's enforced. But when I googled there were very specific JAG forms for this kind of thing and I feel like it won't be accepted. I'm going to call tomorrow and ask, but maybe by chance other Goons have some insight here?

Nine Five Four fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 15, 2014

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Nine Five Four posted:

Hi, I'm hoping for some (general) help here.

My ex got out of the Navy and all our stuff was put into military storage, as we thought we were going to take our time with picking where to live and stuff. Anyways, after he got out he left me, and now we're divorcing which has taken a turn for the worse.

He signed a specific power of attorney so I could get the car into my name only which I already did. But it's not one that JAG did. We did it on LegalZoom. There was a provision about the car, and also this other provision:

This leads me to believe I could use the POA I have to get our household goods shipped because it says "otherwise manage personal property." It's in our divorce agreement we both signed that the goods would be shipped to me, but now I have reason to believe he won't comply, and this could be my way around it to make sure it's enforced. But when I googled there were very specific JAG forms for this kind of thing and I feel like it won't be accepted. I'm going to call tomorrow and ask, but maybe by chance other Goons have some insight here?

Legalzoom is poo poo and some of my work involves cleaning up their mess.

Enforceability is based only upon the decree.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Are you asking whether you can convince a bunch of movers to ship you some stuff with the POA that you have?

Nine Five Four
Aug 26, 2014

I want numbers. Lots and lots of numbers.

blarzgh posted:

Are you asking whether you can convince a bunch of movers to ship you some stuff with the POA that you have?

Yes, but the POA would have to be looked and accepted by the military transportation office for it to be shipped. I don't need POA to receive it, just to get the shipment initiated.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Nine Five Four posted:

Yes, but the POA would have to be looked and accepted by the military transportation office for it to be shipped. I don't need POA to receive it, just to get the shipment initiated.

That's not a legal question, that's a military question.

Edit: I don't say that to be flippant, I say it to mean, "the legal enforceability of the document doesn't matter; only the practical requirements of the third party." You won't be able to convince them of the "legality" of your piece of paper. They don't care.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 15, 2014

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Nine Five Four posted:

Problem with POAs is that they are really discretionary. You can get one, show up somewhere and say "Hi, here's my power of attorney" and they can say "gently caress off."

For military moves, they have their own paperwork. But you're his spouse still...so you should be able to just go to household goods and fill out the forms yourself as a dependent. Also, as a dependent, you are entitled to legal assistance via the NLSO (you said navy, right?) until you are actually divorced.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Is it in the realm of possibility to charge someone for murder for their own death? I'm thinking along the lines of a person getting killed while committing a felony.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

SkunkDuster posted:

Is it in the realm of possibility to charge someone for murder for their own death? I'm thinking along the lines of a person getting killed while committing a felony.

The case would be immediately dismissed as moot. (Although we had a prosecutor here a few years ago who nearly filed charges against the perpetrator of a murder/suicide until media ridicule convinced him not to do it.)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Are there any circumstances where charging a dead person with a crime would be anything but a huge waste of time and money?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

docbeard posted:

Are there any circumstances where charging a dead person with a crime would be anything but a huge waste of time and money?

There might be a circumstance where it would be in the public interest to prosecute someone if the outcome would have an effect on a large number of civil cases against that person's estate (ie. using the outcome of the criminal case as evidence of fault in all the other cases), but it's a pretty big bar to get over the 'the defendant can't defend himself, also moot' problem.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Alchenar posted:

There might be a circumstance where it would be in the public interest to prosecute someone if the outcome would have an effect on a large number of civil cases against that person's estate (ie. using the outcome of the criminal case as evidence of fault in all the other cases), but it's a pretty big bar to get over the 'the defendant can't defend himself, also moot' problem.

you don't need a criminal conviction to proceed in civil.

There is no way to prosecute a dead person. At least not in the US with the mootness doctrine.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
I doubt the defendant would be able to understand the nature and consequences of the proceedings against him or to assist properly in his defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

SkunkDuster posted:

Hey guys... lets gut high and then go to the Legal Questions Thread.