Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Agrinja posted:

Huh, little coincidence there, I saw one of these today in a shop. I think I might be a horrible person, I kind of wanted it. How are Deans? The only I've ever played is a buddy's overly pointy Dimebag affair and it was very badly setup.

I have a Dean and it is indeed overly pointy. It is beat up around the edges because it's impossible for me to play it without smacking it into things.

I don't play it because I have other guitars I like better, but it is a good guitar if you like a very flat fretboard for shredding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Xenocidebot posted:

Would you be using it on fretboard or to do a body? I figured your builds used off-the-shelf necks and fretboards for some reason.

Fretboards, I love making necks but it's pretty time consuming compared to making a body and I'm a bit too busy doing repairs to start anything like that without someone putting down a deposit. To be honest I've not actually had any proper commissions for a while now, it's more profitable to do repairs atm. I've got 2 that need finishing though, one guy has disappeared and might have gone to jail and I'm waiting for an email from the other-guy (I feel really bad about that last one because he's been waiting forever and so much has gone wrong with his build, including the half-built guitar getting stolen and returned trashed). It's not like I'm swamped, but it's more cost and time efficient for me to use pre-made necks.

E: I'd totally use richlite on a body though.

That strange guy posted:

Been reading this since page one. Joined because of this thread.
My modded Hondo Storm for content.
http://imgur.com/DXVdwAr

Hahaha, I like this, it looks like a malformed organ.

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 14, 2014

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

White Dog Eggs posted:

To be honest I've not actually had any proper commissions for a while now, it's more profitable to do repairs atm.

Shropshire's best string changer :iceburn:

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Sockington posted:

Shropshire's best string changer :iceburn:

Hah!!! Pretty much. I change strings and give you coffee and let you rant about how much you hate your drummer because he's a dick then I let you paw-over whatever half built things I've got lying around. That's probably good customer service right? I did offer one guy some stew once and he looked at me like my dick was hanging out.

I haven't even done any fretwork on that red Yamaha thing I was given and I've had that for months now. I'm half tempted to sell the DiMarzio out of it and put something stupid in there like a p-90 or over-sized toaster pickup.

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 14, 2014

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Sure, let's have a regular bass, then put an extra D & G string on it and make the bit under those two fretless. This makes sense.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Allen Wren posted:

Sure, let's have a regular bass, then put an extra D & G string on it and make the bit under those two fretless. This makes sense.

I'm the single half sized jazz bass pickup being used instead of two 6-string sized ones.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

I actually don't mind the hybrid fretboard thing though, it's an interesting gimmick.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Oh god, Chapman Guitars made a Supertele. Double bucker, wide fretboard, thin neck, reverse headstock.
http://youtu.be/TRPUoqGTLpg

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Gaudy chinese twin neck update.

Tracking number still not working, twenty days post order. Several messages have gone unanswered and no sign of attempted delivery. Went to check again this morning and the seller is online. Open up a chat window and ask if maybe the tracking number is wrong. Seller offers to extend guarantee period so dispute window has now been rest to 25 days and counting. Seller assures me I'll have an answer within twenty four hours as to location of goods. Either the goods were never sent out in the first place (he was very quick to extend the dispute period given all I'd asked was, "Can you check the tracking number for me and make sure its correct?") or its genuinely held up in transit limbo. The seller came across as very apologetic and given the immediate notice of, "Yo where the gently caress my hooky guitar mate?" they were quite understanding of the situation and seemed genuine in trying to sort it out. I'm a little uneasy given how the messages I'd sent prior went ignored so hopefully in a few hours I should have an update, otherwise I may have to look into opening a dispute.

In other news, why is it so hard to find small quantities of brass? I want just enough to make a new nut and so far all I've managed is a guy on ebay who kindly sent me six blocks (even though I ordered just the one, but it came with a lovely Christmas card too!) which were all far too small for what I need.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I just changed the strings on my acoustic for the first time in like two years. Strings were ready to go I guess. The coating (elixir's) where I pick was totally gone on them.

But now it sounds all bright and I don't like it. Ugh.

I should start selling pre worn in tone strings. That would be a big seller maybe. Although some people are weird and change strings all the time I guess.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Dirt posted:

I should start selling pre worn in tone strings. That would be a big seller maybe. Although some people are weird and change strings all the time I guess.

I know when I used to post on places like Harmony in the past people would often be selling fancy or old/obscure strings they had cleaned and boiled because some people were really into the less bright/more smooth sound. Generally the strat for reviving strings on a budget was to boil them in water or diluted vinegar (or run them through a decent dishwasher with a sanitize setting) then soak them in either 90% Alcohol/Mineral Spirits or Fairy Power Spray/Dettol/Superclean Degreaser (depending on your nationality) over a few days and finally dry them off with a cloth or by heating them in a dehydrator or in front of a heater.

It does work, soaking your strings in spirits/Fairy Power/Dettol/Superclean will get you more use out of them and revitalize them for a while on its own. It's not an infinitely repeatable process obviously but if your poor or trying to avoid that really bright tone (I did this a lot when I played bass in a black metal band) it's a worthwhile thing to do if you already own the stuff to do it. There is some debate over what vinegar to use while boiling but its just your usual guitarist mumbo jumbo magical string voodoo bullshit, white and apple cider work basically the same in my experience.

I knew a guy who swore by acetone as well, but it seems like getting that much nail polish remover would be cost inefficient unless your day job is doing Youtube beauty vids.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I know when I used to post on places like Harmony in the past people would often be selling fancy or old/obscure strings they had cleaned and boiled because some people were really into the less bright/more smooth sound. Generally the strat for reviving strings on a budget was to boil them in water or diluted vinegar (or run them through a decent dishwasher with a sanitize setting) then soak them in either 90% Alcohol/Mineral Spirits or Fairy Power Spray/Dettol/Superclean Degreaser (depending on your nationality) over a few days and finally dry them off with a cloth or by heating them in a dehydrator or in front of a heater.

It does work, soaking your strings in spirits/Fairy Power/Dettol/Superclean will get you more use out of them and revitalize them for a while on its own. It's not an infinitely repeatable process obviously but if your poor or trying to avoid that really bright tone (I did this a lot when I played bass in a black metal band) it's a worthwhile thing to do if you already own the stuff to do it. There is some debate over what vinegar to use while boiling but its just your usual guitarist mumbo jumbo magical string voodoo bullshit, white and apple cider work basically the same in my experience.

I knew a guy who swore by acetone as well, but it seems like getting that much nail polish remover would be cost inefficient unless your day job is doing Youtube beauty vids.

For bass at least, just letting them soak in metho is supposed to beat all of that. I definitely wouldn't steam them, and I'm not sure about vinegar either.

That strange guy
Dec 14, 2014

It's not strange if we never mention it again.

Chrpno posted:

ewwww...... all I can think of is Metallica's "One"

"It's the armless, legless wonder of the century"
Also this scrap TONE wood guitar that plays surprisingly well.

http://imgur.com/TE2fHTv

That strange guy fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Dec 16, 2014

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Nostalgic Pushead posted:

For bass at least, just letting them soak in metho is supposed to beat all of that. I definitely wouldn't steam them, and I'm not sure about vinegar either.

Steaming or boiling them is actually good as long as you make sure to dry them fully after its done to avoid rusting. When you heat them up it temporarily causes the cables to expand which can help them both sound new and clean stuff that's deep inside them. Also you can have limited better results than with just spirits alone depending on how old and well played they are. I think honestly soaking them in a good degreaser like Zep or Superclean is the most important step since that will rid you of 90% of your built up skin/oil/dirt once you wipe them down with a rag after a good long bath.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

thats why i like having an onboard eq on a bass, when/if i ever change strings i just roll the highs off a bit until they darken up.

on guitar i like new strings though and change them often to keep that bright sound.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
Santa, I want this*

* and dem skillz

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass

Oh god, Chapman Guitars made a Supertele. Double bucker, wide fretboard, thin neck, reverse headstock.

having one dumb inlay is worse than having a full board of big fat inlays

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Fax Sender posted:

I agree. The whole Chapman guitars thing have me kind of split. I respect that they take feedback from fans and try to make the guitars well apportioned for the money. Yet, aesthetically they are all so blah. The finishes have that boring flatness to them, lack of good inlays, and the hybrid designs feel like PRS kind of awkwardly mated with a Fender guitar.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Outside of that goofy inlay, I kinda liked the look of it. It wasn't overly gaudy, it had a nice finish that actually showed the body wood grain... However, I play bass, so my opinion on these things are known to be less than credible. I'd still happily take it and play if someone gave it to me.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Fax Sender posted:

Gotta counteract some goon hate and say that the carved top is pretty nice. I also like that they shed the pickup rings and the metal control panel on the knobs to give the guitar a more elegant look. Satin finish was a good decision too.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

pointlessone posted:

Outside of that goofy inlay, I kinda liked the look of it. It wasn't overly gaudy, it had a nice finish that actually showed the body wood grain... However, I play bass, so my opinion on these things are known to be less than credible. I'd still happily take it and play if someone gave it to me.
being a bass player makes your opinion less asinine than most of the ones posted in this thread

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

ChocNitty posted:

Gotta counteract some goon hate and say that the carved top is pretty nice. I also like that they shed the pickup rings and the metal control panel on the knobs to give the guitar a more elegant look. Satin finish was a good decision too.

I don't hate them or anything, just not really my cup of tea with the current choices.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Dirt posted:

I just changed the strings on my acoustic for the first time in like two years. Strings were ready to go I guess. The coating (elixir's) where I pick was totally gone on them.

But now it sounds all bright and I don't like it. Ugh.

There's a guitar club at the local university and all of their strings were at least a year old. Most everyone had probably never changed them Everything was just flat and lovely sounding so I brought in a case of strings for everyone as a Christmas present and we changed strings and everyone looked sad at how loud, bright and responsive their guitars sounded. lol. They were looking at me like I had broken their loving guitars.

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
yeah the body is nice i think and i dont hate reverse headstocks but as a whole i dont think its something i would buy

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat
Never done it myself, but boiling strings in vinegar seems to work as older players tell me this all the time. Any de-greasing agent would do it, so maybe sugarsoap would be best, that stuff is brutal.

I want it, that's boss as hell.

I actually tried to make a hurdy-gurdy out of a crappy acoustic guitar years back. Didn't end well because I had no idea what I was doing, it kind of worked but the plywood I used for the wheel started de-laminating so I left it.

That strange guy posted:

"It's the armless, legless wonder of the century"
Also this scrap TONE wood guitar that plays surprisingly well.

http://imgur.com/TE2fHTv

I love 'rustic' (I hate that term, but not as much as I hate 'folk art') looking stuff like that. Do you own it?

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Gaudy chinese twin neck update.

Tracking number still not working, twenty days post order. Several messages have gone unanswered and no sign of attempted delivery. Went to check again this morning and the seller is online. Open up a chat window and ask if maybe the tracking number is wrong. Seller offers to extend guarantee period so dispute window has now been rest to 25 days and counting. Seller assures me I'll have an answer within twenty four hours as to location of goods. Either the goods were never sent out in the first place (he was very quick to extend the dispute period given all I'd asked was, "Can you check the tracking number for me and make sure its correct?") or its genuinely held up in transit limbo. The seller came across as very apologetic and given the immediate notice of, "Yo where the gently caress my hooky guitar mate?" they were quite understanding of the situation and seemed genuine in trying to sort it out. I'm a little uneasy given how the messages I'd sent prior went ignored so hopefully in a few hours I should have an update, otherwise I may have to look into opening a dispute.

In other news, why is it so hard to find small quantities of brass? I want just enough to make a new nut and so far all I've managed is a guy on ebay who kindly sent me six blocks (even though I ordered just the one, but it came with a lovely Christmas card too!) which were all far too small for what I need.

Sucks about the doubleneck, I hope that gets sorted for you soon!

I brought a big chunk of square brass ages ago, I can't remember where it was from but it was a company that supplied metal for engineering firms. I had to order a massive length of it to meet the minimum order though, it was something like 5mmx5mmx3 meters. I used some of it for nuts but I traded the rest for a set of really nice forstner bits, otherwise I'd send you some :(.

It might be worth asking a local engravers, they use a lot of brass for plaques so they could hopefully point you in the right direction.

Eh. It's ok, looks pretty much like anything else though. It's all CNC made so it'd be cool if they got a bit whacky, or even just used different woods, like purpleheart instead of ebony.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

ChocNitty posted:

Satin finish was a good decision too.
IDK if all satin finishes are like the worn cherry on my epi lp studio but that thing gets buckle rash and other light scratches like there's no tomorrow. I'll stick to gloss.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nostalgic Pushead posted:

IDK if all satin finishes are like the worn cherry on my epi lp studio but that thing gets buckle rash and other light scratches like there's no tomorrow. I'll stick to gloss.

With Epiphone stuff, the finish quality seems to vary a lot (it always looks good though). Gloss finishes are generally tougher, but a good Satin finish is usually pretty hard.

That strange guy
Dec 14, 2014

Still have them both and too many others.
http://i.imgur.com/0bh1keA.jpg
Would have liked some history on the tone scrap guitar a friend got it for me through a third party.
http://i.imgur.com/To7ATfC.jpg
Can be switched to lefty.
http://i.imgur.com/HyPVioA.jpg
Authentic TONE recovered wood. (perhaps a pirate ship or the one true cross)
http://i.imgur.com/QupVHuJ.jpg
TONE TRIANGLE SOUND HOLE!!!! (might have been made by aliens?)

edit (spelling)

That strange guy fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 18, 2014

That strange guy
Dec 14, 2014

Stumpy was from a local pawn shop, the horns had been removed so it would fit a lefty case.
http://i.imgur.com/BvKb2bA.jpg
I took a rasp file and made it the freak it is today.
http://i.imgur.com/L14knVA.jpg
Ibanez Roadstar 2 series. Was not able to find anything with that pickup configuration online. Had the neck off and apparently it was seafoam originally. Thing weighs a ton, I'm sure I get shorter every time I play it.
http://imgur.com/CrbSAmK
Bronze series hunk of junk. I had to lower the bridge pins to lower the action so it was remotely playable.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

That strange guy posted:

Stumpy was from a local pawn shop, the horns had been removed so it would fit a lefty case.
Stumpy bravely finds the strength to go on. :unsmith:

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

ZombieParts posted:

There's a guitar club at the local university and all of their strings were at least a year old. Most everyone had probably never changed them Everything was just flat and lovely sounding so I brought in a case of strings for everyone as a Christmas present and we changed strings and everyone looked sad at how loud, bright and responsive their guitars sounded. lol. They were looking at me like I had broken their loving guitars.

hah. ill admit that i hadn't changed my bass strings in nearly 4 years until recently (over the space of 3 bands where i played shows at least a couple times a month, usually more), and when i finally did-mostly because of the fear of popping a string at a show-i was a bit turned off at how different the sound was. dead guitar strings are the pits though.

Reer
Sep 27, 2007

by Ralp

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/taringa/guitars-amps/signed-guitar-by-all-acdc-band/1065198859

hahaha they want loving 7500 dollarydoos for a squire strat signed by AC/DC. have any of them even played strats? Angus Young strutting round with his Gibson SG and gay school boy outfit is one of the most iconic and recognizable figures in rock history, you would think they would at least use a lovely SG knockoff

Reer fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Dec 18, 2014

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Reer posted:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/taringa/guitars-amps/signed-guitar-by-all-acdc-band/1065198859

hahaha they want loving 7500 dollarydoos for a squire strat signed by AC/DC. have any of them even played strats? Angus Young strutting round with his Gibson SG and gay school boy outfit is one of the most iconic and recognizable figures in rock history, you would think they would at least use a lovely SG knockoff

If I remember rightly the company/companies that's responsible for these just sends out pick-guards for famous people to sign en masse as some sort of contractual obligation thing then put them on cheap-rear end squires, apparently the pickguard holes don't line up properly on most of them.

Also I'm 90% sure the the majority of these are sold on cruise ships to drunk-rear end doctors/lawyers/whatever.

That strange guy posted:

Still have them both and too many others.
http://i.imgur.com/0bh1keA.jpg
Would have liked some history on the tone scrap guitar a friend got it for me through a third party.
http://i.imgur.com/To7ATfC.jpg
Can be switched to lefty.
http://i.imgur.com/HyPVioA.jpg
Authentic TONE recovered wood. (perhaps a pirate ship or the one true cross)
http://i.imgur.com/QupVHuJ.jpg
TONE TRIANGLE SOUND HOLE!!!! (might have been made by aliens?)

edit (spelling)

That looks like it was made by a kid in shop-class or something, it's awesome.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

shiksa posted:

hah. ill admit that i hadn't changed my bass strings in nearly 4 years until recently (over the space of 3 bands where i played shows at least a couple times a month, usually more), and when i finally did-mostly because of the fear of popping a string at a show-i was a bit turned off at how different the sound was. dead guitar strings are the pits though.

Grossest strings I've ever seen were on a bass that was for sale in a charity shop. They were slimy.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

White Dog Eggs posted:

Grossest strings I've ever seen were on a bass that was for sale in a charity shop. They were slimy.

i wouldnt be surprised if the worst offenders of old gross strings were bass players (much like dumbass looking instruments, fedora wearing, etc) cause new strings on a bass dont really sound good unless you're trying for a pop-punk tone. plus bass strings dont feel as aggressively terrible when really old as guitar strings. i feel like im gonna get tetanus playing on old guitar strings.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

shiksa posted:

i wouldnt be surprised if the worst offenders of old gross strings were bass players (much like dumbass looking instruments, fedora wearing, etc) cause new strings on a bass dont really sound good unless you're trying for a pop-punk tone. plus bass strings dont feel as aggressively terrible when really old as guitar strings. i feel like im gonna get tetanus playing on old guitar strings.

Bass strings can take a lot more crud buildup before they start to die. Giant ridges between windings means they're also going to end up being waaaaay grosser when they finally succumb to crud death. One of the most famous bassists no one knows once stated "The junk keeps the funk", so there's that, too.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
It's true tho, you're not gonna get a smooth funky tone with new strings. There is definitely is a sweet spot for bass strings in between "fresh" and "gross". Depends on the strings you use too. I'm a big DR stainless steel fan and those are better at sounding and staying smooth than a lot of brands.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

That strange guy posted:

as that was easier and more convenient than getting a righthanded case? Holy lolballs. Still it's a unique instrument now and I dig that.

White Dog Eggs posted:

in my teens I did some bedroom jammin' with a schoolfriend who was using his Dad's p.bass. His dad being the bassist/vocalist for a long-running Irish showband, playing smoky clubs for decades. It was the only *genuine* "heavy-relic" instrument I think I've ever touched... and I'm not sure the stings had EVER been changed, in my lifetime anyway. Your fingers stuck to them, you had to use a nailbrush & soap on your fingertips afterwards. WTF

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
I poked a hole in my finger at that guitar club for the string-change impaired and when i saw the blood I instinctively stuck my finger in my mouth and tasted the coppery death funk of about 6 dozen students

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I once bought a Kurweill K2000 for cheap that belonged to a chainsmoker or had been in a house fire or something.
The white keys were yellow and everything was coated in tar and sticky, I cleaned it up and found hay,hair,dirt and rust inside it.
It worked but ended up selling it because it was loving vile.

• Locked thread