Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I've been past Chicago a few times, but only actually checked it out once. Naturally it was overcast. The guy at the door of the Sears Tower (gently caress you, Willis) warned me that visibility was zero above about the 20th floor so I didn't go in. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
We went into town on the way through once but the line to go up was 45min long so I didn't get to do it.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

torpedan posted:

Ugh, the thought of being I a skyscraper during an earthquake does not sit well. Having been in an 8.0 earthquake on the second story of a two story building was bad enough to make we want to stay on the ground floor anywhere I go. Granted being in a skyscraper is likely a much safer place to be as long as your furniture stays put (and you).

The Northridge quake?

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Godholio posted:

I've been past Chicago a few times, but only actually checked it out once. Naturally it was overcast. The guy at the door of the Sears Tower (gently caress you, Willis) warned me that visibility was zero above about the 20th floor so I didn't go in. :(

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Soon to be horrible failure.

"So you installed a new motor in the car you say?"

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Yeah a 1 story building rumbling when trains go by is not even comparable to a 90 story one where the water in the toilets sloshes around at the top. That's loving disturbing.

Um it was two stories thank you very much.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud

RandomPauI posted:

The Northridge quake?

Nope. Happened to pick a bad week to be in Peru. (2007 8.0 earthquake that lasted about 3 minutes)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah a 1 story building rumbling when trains go by is not even comparable to a 90 story one where the water in the toilets sloshes around at the top. That's loving disturbing.

Way better than the alternative where it doesn't flex at all and snaps in two in the first major windstorm.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

A church around here had an old house on the property they put all the bored teenagers in during social events and what have you. It was a two story thing that was on the land when they bought it so they just left it up. Except they had no budget to do maintenance so it was getting increasingly worn out. While i was there unning and stopping suddenly on the second floor would make the entire house lean a bit. They finally closed it for good after someone nearly fell out a window by leaning on the frame and discovering that section of the wall was mostly rotted out.

And I would still rather be on its second floor than at the top of sears tower. Moving that much that high terrifies me for some illogical reason.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Powershift posted:

and never look down the aisle of an airplane while it's taking off or landing.

I'm a big fan of videos like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHlEXn37dVg

IOwnCalculus posted:

You mean, kids today? :v:

Post Pictures of Horrible Corporate Mechanical Failures

Should have bought a Bahco

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

(with humans for scale)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

About that...

puts the bending in that vid in a whole new light

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Is that the one from the comedy sketch about the front falling off?

e: Whoops nvm. That one was an oil tanker.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What the gently caress.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

About that...

puts the bending in that vid in a whole new light

From memory that happened because of misloading, the container weights were way the gently caress out from where they should have been - the container companies were pulling a dodgy and trying to ship more freight per container than they were declaring, and the ship was loaded according to the 'official' weights - so the stresses on the hull were outside the allowable limits. Bit of rough sea came up and BOOM.
The bending is normal.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

I went up the CN Tower in Toronto, one of the guys who worked there said they used to have fun when people would jump on the glass to impress / frighten their friends. The trick, he said, was to stand behind them and drop your big bunch of building keys so they hit the glass exactly as the cocksure visitor landed. He said management banned it in fear of people literally making GBS threads themselves.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

What IS that thing?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's a crane from a carrier ship.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Beach Bum posted:

What IS that thing?

It used to be a crane on the bulk carrier Seapace.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

ReelBigLizard posted:

I went up the CN Tower in Toronto, one of the guys who worked there said they used to have fun when people would jump on the glass to impress / frighten their friends. The trick, he said, was to stand behind them and drop your big bunch of building keys so they hit the glass exactly as the cocksure visitor landed. He said management banned it in fear of people literally making GBS threads themselves.

I did that to my wife when we went there a couple of years ago, a couple of other people on it jumped in fear too. :getin:

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

Platystemon posted:

It used to be a crane on the bulk carrier Seapace.

the gallery (https://www.flickr.com/photos/tsbcanada/sets/72157646075618448/) is a bit of a worry, with what apparently seems to be 'use any bolt you've got lying around' rather than the right ones ...

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

spiny posted:

the gallery (https://www.flickr.com/photos/tsbcanada/sets/72157646075618448/) is a bit of a worry, with what apparently seems to be 'use any bolt you've got lying around' rather than the right ones ...

More like "create bolt from sheet of steel and any almost-appropriately-diametere'd rod and tap." Seriously, some of them have welded-on heads :stonk:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

ReelBigLizard posted:

You joke, and then something like this happens.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/chicago-willis-tower-sky-deck-ledge-crack-261079001.html
It was the protective coating on the top layer. Each layer is 1/2" thick, and there are three layers.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Didn't a guy doing a safety demonstration hurl himself off a building a few years back when the safety glass he was demonstrating the solidity of failed?

[edit] Also, my personal "building moving" story was how when you filled the bathtub in the house my brother used to rent with some friends you could feel the entire back of the building settling with the weight and the could see the exact angle of the floor from the water in the bath.

vv Yeah, that's the one.

Munin fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 15, 2014

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Munin posted:

Didn't a guy doing a safety demonstration hurl himself off a building a few years back when the safety glass he was demonstrating the solidity of failed?

You’re probably thinking of Gary Hoy, a Toronto lawyer.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

spiny posted:

Haha. I'm reminded of when a hydraulic fitting failed and I found my machinist making a new one out of mild steel.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Two Finger posted:

Haha. I'm reminded of when a hydraulic fitting failed and I found my machinist making a new one out of mild steel.

On my current project, the customer needed a kind of complex 90 degree elbow, but didn't want to cast it. One criteria was that one of the ends have external threads for a hose to screw onto. My coworker came up with piece machined out of a solid block of metal with two holes drilled into it meeting at 90 degrees, like you'd see in a valve body.

The customer wanted a smoother transition instead of the sharp turn this would create. Their idea was the split the piece down the middle, machine out a fluid passage with a smooth transition, weld the two halves together, and then, somehow, machine external threads into and around this welded joint.

We talked them out of that one...

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Geirskogul posted:

More like "create bolt from sheet of steel and any almost-appropriately-diametere'd rod and tap." Seriously, some of them have welded-on heads :stonk:

that would be some fuckin large diameter threaded rod.

also : I want see the socket that fits these

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You can see bolts this size on pretty much any city lamppost.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

buttcrackmenace posted:

that would be some fuckin large diameter threaded rod.

also : I want see the socket that fits these

They're really not very rare. Also, when you get much above one inch tool size, you generally also move to one inch or even inch-and-a-half drive. Doubly so for impact sockets. (Which are generally black, and are pictured above.)

The inside of tool rooms at large industrial sites is always good fun for the uninitiated. COMICALLY HUGE WRENCHES EVERYWHERE.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The space needle is anchored to the earth with 72 of these bad boys:

Big Nuts and Bolts by IronRodArt - Royce Bair ("Star Shooter"), on Flickr

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Power steering pump bearing after kastein HAMMERED THE poo poo OUT OF IT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExESoJ4DIOY

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

torpedan posted:

Ugh, the thought of being I a skyscraper during an earthquake does not sit well. Having been in an 8.0 earthquake on the second story of a two story building was bad enough to make we want to stay on the ground floor anywhere I go. Granted being in a skyscraper is likely a much safer place to be as long as your furniture stays put (and you).

I was in Japan for the big one in 2011 and that happened to me in my 2nd story apartment was a few bowls fell into a cardboard box (so I didn't even have to clean up the broken pieces).

But the aftershocks were so frequent (felt like a 5-6 every 20-40 minutes for the next few days) that, very soon, you just sort of tune it out.

It did lead to some fun games, though, my favorite of which was "Drunk or Quake?" When things felt wobbly, look at something hanging on the wall to determine whether the earth is moving or you're just a wee tipsy. Another one I liked was the book seismograph. Take a bunch of books, stack them up, and if it falls over, then the earthquake qualifies as "Big"

Earthquakes ain't no thing if your building is designed to withstand them, as all modern buildings in Japan are. However, I can't say the same thing for a country like Peru where, and I'm purely speculating, the standards and practices are not quite as high. That's what would really scare me. I'd rather experience a massive earthquake in Japan than a much smaller one in Peru.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud

totalnewbie posted:

I was in Japan for the big one in 2011 and that happened to me in my 2nd story apartment was a few bowls fell into a cardboard box (so I didn't even have to clean up the broken pieces).

But the aftershocks were so frequent (felt like a 5-6 every 20-40 minutes for the next few days) that, very soon, you just sort of tune it out.

It did lead to some fun games, though, my favorite of which was "Drunk or Quake?" When things felt wobbly, look at something hanging on the wall to determine whether the earth is moving or you're just a wee tipsy. Another one I liked was the book seismograph. Take a bunch of books, stack them up, and if it falls over, then the earthquake qualifies as "Big"

Earthquakes ain't no thing if your building is designed to withstand them, as all modern buildings in Japan are. However, I can't say the same thing for a country like Peru where, and I'm purely speculating, the standards and practices are not quite as high. That's what would really scare me. I'd rather experience a massive earthquake in Japan than a much smaller one in Peru.

The building I was in at the time was fairly new and had a significant amount of noteworthy cracks afterwards. In Peru there is a fairly large discrepancy wealth wise and many of the fatalities from the earthquake from collapsed roofs or due to structures which made extensive use of materials like adobe which were not up to the task. I had planned on staying in a cheaper hotel in a city that sustained much more damage than where I was. I likely got exposed to local wager and was not feeling well and ended up going elsewhere and staying in a nicer hotel. I basically got lucky.

I was surprised by the number of aftershocks though. Usually you hear about them, but I did my expect them to happen so frequently. Swimming pools also make for a good way to tell as well.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Earthquakes are difficult as the ground movement experienced doesn't always have a lot to do with the magnitude.

The February 2011 earthquake in Christchurch NZ clobbered a bunch of buildings that were considered safe after a larger magnitude quake happened the previous year.

e. Some pretty freaking lucky escapes too including this 20-something story hotel that somehow stayed standing with the main structure damaged

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I love the titles on the objects. "Specified bolt" "Incongruous bolt" A sort of Victorian way of saying RIGHT and WRONG.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

I love the titles on the objects. "Specified bolt" "Incongruous bolt" A sort of Victorian way of saying RIGHT and WRONG.

Was that Canada? Mike Holmes is gonna have a field day with this code violation...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wasabi the J posted:

Was that Canada? Mike Holmes is gonna have a field day with this code violation...

As a matter of fact it was.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The more polite the language in the report is, the bigger the fuckup committed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Word. Jocular references, nicknames, slang? We're all laughing. Strict grammar, impersonal references, all correct technical terms? Firing squad job.