Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mewse
May 2, 2006

Rasczak posted:

I'm just going to leave this here.

I really don't see why he'd return to Mexico to continue his career when he HAS to be making enough money in the states to stay up there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

mewse posted:

I really don't see why he'd return to Mexico to continue his career when he HAS to be making enough money in the states to stay up there

:golfclap:

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Bored posted:

Goddamnit. Don't we have enough stupid debates in here? Don't start one on how writers write female characters.

That's not what the debate is.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I've found most the female characters in Walking Dead to be a little weird/under developed. They seem to either be completely obnoxious or just always in the background/side kick mode.

I watched all the seasons in the last week up to now having not watch it before now I am going through withdrawal. Thanks netflix.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

spankmeister posted:

I think it's pretty funny that Maggie doesn't seem to care about Beth after she's been abducted and then the moment she sees her alive again she dies right in front of her.

She didn't even get to see her alive. The first she saw of her was Daryl carrying her body out of the hospital.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
When Maggie isn't looking for Glen the writers have no idea what to do with her now that they're married and Herschel is dead :shrug:

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I thought it was kinda hosed up that Daryl carried her right by Maggie where the giant hole in Beth's head was facing her.

In other news, my friend just got to the point where Carol shot Satan Lizzie. New freak-out texts. I'm loving this haha.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Oracle posted:

If they get another Asian cast member, start worrying about Glenn. Otherwise he's in it for the long haul.

I don't know they have been making Daryl squint a lot in the last season or so.

13stitches
Mar 13, 2012

You were born free, you got fucked out of half of it and you wave a flag celebrating it.

Grin and Tonic posted:

When Maggie isn't looking for Glen the writers have no idea what to do with her now that they're married and Herschel is dead :shrug:

Someone has to fill up the empty seats in all those cars and trucks and church benches. Well, that's what she's for. Populating backgrounds and looking good while being covered in dirt.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sand Monster posted:

She didn't even get to see her alive. The first she saw of her was Daryl carrying her body out of the hospital.

Oh yeah that's right, gently caress I'm misremembering this show already.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

She had no skills and had to gently caress her way to safety with the Governor.

that is a skill

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

But Andrea was none of that. She was clueless, gullible, two-faced and personified the word sheeple. She had no skills and had to gently caress her way to safety with the Governor.

I usually don't dislike characters that much, but if I had to make a list, she'd top it.
1. Andrea
2. The entire cast of Scandal
3. Skyler White

Well, I base my call on the fact most of the Beth fans seem to focus on the same things Daryl did when it came to her. she was innocence. That ended the moment she decided it was time to stab dawn and would continue to go that route from then on, most likely. Once the whole innocent angle's gone, there's really nothing that separates her from anyone else and people will likely be upset she's not the vision of innocence any more.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A bunch of stuff around the Governor sucked because he just had 10" thick plot armor. All the times someone's pointed a gun at him and unnghhh just couldn't do ittt. Or how he's abandoned by his last men, wanders off on his own and is taken in by the most well-off family ever (relatively) who barely seem to have an idea what's been going on in the last year+.

It was really interesting when he made the grab to take over the camp. It instantly made you understand why people follow him.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Andrea had skills she was just written terribly, much like a lot of Season 3.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

gently caress that. That actress sucked. The worst part is I don't even know why. She just wasn't right for the show.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I doubt better acting could have salvaged that wreck of a character.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Berke Negri posted:

Andrea had skills she was just written terribly, much like a lot of Season 3.

It's been a problem for the entire show, I think. Much less so the last couple of seasons.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The women of season one were written extremely poorly, which led to some awkward thread drama. There were literally no positive female characters, and they were universally depicted as loving things up or making drama unless they were preparing food or doing laundry.

People would post something to the effect of "the women on this show are terrible," someone would inevitably misread it as "women are terrible" and respond accordingly.

I don't miss season one, Lori, Andrea, or grunt-and-scowl Michone.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

No. No. Lori was written horribly. Michone has grown on me. Andrea had one of the best chances to blow up our TV'S, The writing was part of it but just no.

Reivur
Nov 9, 2013
Meh. Enjoy comic Andrea immensely. Hated show Andrea. Just told myself they happen to have the same name and no other similarities and I got over it. Kind of like Carol; except I actually like show Carol significantly more.

Based on her track record with men I was convinced by season 4 she was going to be french-kissing a Walker had she still been around.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I don't remember the details but I think Andrea had a lot of potential as a character who was sheltered and naive to the point of believing that peace and diplomacy could solve every problem. Unfortunately the writers couldn't find a way to portray that without making her super annoying, and the main diplomacy skill they gave her was loving the Governor.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Michone finding the fiesta cat statute was one of her first real character moments, and about when the writers finally let that woman act. When she was introduced, they were doing this sheltered shell silent character which works fine for supporting comic book or cartoon characters (or Ray Parks) but makes for lackluster television.

I think they're still trying to work in Andrea's pacifist angle through Tyreese, but still frame non-violence as a betrayal of the group at worst or ineffective at best.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There was no reason for them to have kept Andrea on after they left the farm. They easily could have written in a quick scene where she gets devoured by zombies after feeling the burning farm and have been done with it. Instead it was pretty clear that in season 3 they had no idea what to do with her. I mean they spend all of this time with her sneaking around Woodbury trying to figure out what the Governor is up to, but in the end she decides she'd rather sleep with him until the plot demanded otherwise. While I liked that episode where she got Rick and the Guv to sit down, we all knew it was a waste of time since the Governor was already preparing to ambush Rick's group anyway. She did have the most fitting death: being dumb and letting herself get attacked by Zombie Nerd when she had plenty of time to escape.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Andrea was always very jaded after Amy's death and it didn't work to have her pivot to being naive and idealistic.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

fleshweasel posted:

Andrea was always very jaded after Amy's death and it didn't work to have her pivot to being naive and idealistic.
Another problem I had was the big jump in time between season 2 and 3. During that time Michonne brings her back to health and they supposedly have this friendship or whatever, but we see almost none of that trust in season 3. Andrea ignored Michonne's misgivings about Woodbury and the Governor until it was too late.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

FlamingLiberal posted:

Andrea ignored Michonne's misgivings about Woodbury and the Governor until it was too late.

Well considering that Michonne never came out and said "I don't trust the guy", or "I saw him doing some hosed up poo poo", or hell anything at all really, aside from sneering and snorting and making faces for the first half of the season, Andrea had no reason to doubt the governor.

That was the most frustrating set of episodes. The writers wanted so bad for Andrea to ally with the governor that they were doing gymnastics to keep her from having any clue. Honestly it wasn't that Andrea was poorly written as much as it was that everyone and everything around her was poorly written. Given the pinhole perspective the writers allowed her, her motivations weren't that bizarre really. But as viewers with an understanding of the whole picture -- and knowing that just about every other character has that same understanding as us -- we could only sit and scream "what the gently caress is wrong with you you god damned moron" at the screen every week.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

My guess is that they wanted to depict the Governor as a charming master-manipulator, but didn't establish any of that and jumped Andrea right to his Dracula-bride.

His whole 'redemption' arc in the following season was effectively a soft in-show reboot of that whole mess. Because we saw how he could get people to follow him, we saw how duplicitous he was, and we saw how fundamentally damaged he was. You could even argue that we learned why he kept a head aquarium (if you take this as an out-of-sequence origin story).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They really missed out on writing him as the charismatic strongman alternative to Rick. I think they TRIED to do that, but whoever was in charge has no idea what 'subtlety' means.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Reivur posted:

Meh. Enjoy comic Andrea immensely. Hated show Andrea. Just told myself they happen to have the same name and no other similarities and I got over it. Kind of like Carol; except I actually like show Carol significantly more.

Based on her track record with men I was convinced by season 4 she was going to be french-kissing a Walker had she still been around.

My impression is that comic Andrea is basically show Carol and vice versa. The character arcs are similar but swapped.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eh, not quite. That was a kind of sweeping idea early since TV Andrea stopped bearing any resemblance to Comic Andrea after Amy died but over the last few seasons I'd say Comic Andrea has kind of been split between Carol and Sasha. Sasha doesn't exist in the comics and Carol is a vastly different and unimportant character and most of Comic Andrea's major story stuff has been shifted onto one of them. But they also have a lot of original elements to them and are basically their own characters.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah apart from premise and a few characters the comic bears little resemblance to the show at this point. Andrea is one of the most capable characters in the comic, but her arc has very little in common with show Carol's.

I'm sure they're going to bring in more comic characters down the line, but like the show is never going to have a loving bengal tiger in it.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Dec 15, 2014

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

moths posted:

My guess is that they wanted to depict the Governor as a charming master-manipulator, but didn't establish any of that and jumped Andrea right to his Dracula-bride.

His whole 'redemption' arc in the following season was effectively a soft in-show reboot of that whole mess. Because we saw how he could get people to follow him, we saw how duplicitous he was, and we saw how fundamentally damaged he was. You could even argue that we learned why he kept a head aquarium (if you take this as an out-of-sequence origin story).

Given it was almost entirely taken from a comic that was an out of sequence origin story, yeah.

The sad part is they didn't hide that very well. They tried to be clever but at numerous points if his eye wasn't gone, I would have banked money that it was a prequel.

Fragmented posted:

No. No. Lori was written horribly. Michone has grown on me. Andrea had one of the best chances to blow up our TV'S, The writing was part of it but just no.

I think this has far less to do with Michonne growing on you because she's grown on you, and more that for 90% of her initial appearances, she was an awful non-character. Wouldn't answer people, ran around breaking poo poo without any facts to go on, and just generally being obnoxious. She almost came off as a mentally crippled mute until near the end of her first season on the show.

Then they finally actually wrote dialogue for her and made her character something beyond "Glare, glare, slash slash, glare glare."

Jake Armitage posted:

Well considering that Michonne never came out and said "I don't trust the guy", or "I saw him doing some hosed up poo poo", or hell anything at all really, aside from sneering and snorting and making faces for the first half of the season, Andrea had no reason to doubt the governor.

That was the most frustrating set of episodes. The writers wanted so bad for Andrea to ally with the governor that they were doing gymnastics to keep her from having any clue. Honestly it wasn't that Andrea was poorly written as much as it was that everyone and everything around her was poorly written. Given the pinhole perspective the writers allowed her, her motivations weren't that bizarre really. But as viewers with an understanding of the whole picture -- and knowing that just about every other character has that same understanding as us -- we could only sit and scream "what the gently caress is wrong with you you god damned moron" at the screen every week.

The sad part is his motivation boiled down to "He's crazy" or "He's evil" for most of it; even in the prequel arc the second he just randomly murders his loyal 2nd in command that was offering him partial command. That says everything about horribly he was written: If the scene had been Martinez going "You know, I can't really defend these people, and I think we're all doomed but I am never, ever letting you anywhere near in charge of these people, not after what you did," at least I could have SOMEWHAT bought it. But no. He's going "Yeah, things are rough, but I'm totally willing to let you step in again. You seem cool now."

If a character's motivations come down to "crazy/evil" with no internal logic they absolutely suck.

ED: Also yeah, I can see why he was pissed Michonne broke into his house and killed his daughter/pet zombie on the motivation of "I don't like you, and your stupid face." Which is how it came off. She had no reason to realize anything going on in there before that point.

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

3. Skyler White

Really? Really?

I have heard there was a group of people who hated Skyler for nagging her husband about his highly dangerous, family destroying meth business, I suppose. But #3 on your worst TV characters list?

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 15, 2014

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The governor 'redemption' arc goes immediately off the rails when he kills Martinez. It's completely nonsensical.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

The governor 'redemption' arc goes immediately off the rails when he kills Martinez. It's completely nonsensical.

That's kind of the entire point, the Governor couldn't be redeemed.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FlamingLiberal posted:

The point of him killing Martinez is to show that he has a violent side that he will never live down no matter how deep he tries to bury it.

The point of everything after that is him personally realizing that fact.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I get that, but it would have been nice if they had actually done something different with the character.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Blazing Ownager posted:

Really? Really?

I have heard there was a group of people who hated Skyler for nagging her husband about his highly dangerous, family destroying meth business, I suppose. But #3 on your worst TV characters list?

I don't want to turn this into a huge BB derail but there are plenty of reasons to dislike Skyler.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

I get that, but it would have been nice if they had actually done something different with the character.

That doesn't make it nonsensical though.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
I find it hard to hate the Skyler White character when her husband is a literal serial murderer and meth dealer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

But... he was fun to watch and she was just worried about her bills and her son's life and not going to jail and silly stuff like that. Why'd she have to be so mean to Walt?

• Locked thread