Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Maybe you're just bad at watching TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Hey all. I woke up today and realized that there's a bunch of superhero stuff on TV and figured I would get started on it. I've counted The Flash, Arrow, Gotham, and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (though there aren't any superheroes in it? Is that right?) Is that all of them?

I'm pretty oblivious when it comes to superhero stuff and was wondering if any of these shows are set in the same universe and if I should watch any of them before any other. I'm aware that Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. takes place after The Avengers but other than that I'm fairly clueless. Thanks for the help.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Flash and Arrow have a connected universe, but you don't need to watch one in order to understand the other.

Gotham is its own thing. Honestly, I'd wait on this one given the alternatives.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 15, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
There's Constantine as well, although he's not so much a superhero as just a supernatural detective.

Flash and Arrow are set in the same universe and are in bordering major cities basically. Timeline-wise, Flash's first season and Arrow's third season are happening simultaneously, so watch the first two seasons of Arrow before starting Flash if you want. Gotham is its own thing (and not very good, although some people think its campiness is pretty fun) and AoS ties into the recent Marvel movies (specifically, The Winter Soldier). You can watch that however you want, although be aware that most goons typically agree that the first 12-14 episodes of AoS were really slow and at times just downright boring. It really picks up though about 16 episodes in and has maintained its momentum into the second season.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Flash's backstory happens in Arrow so watch the first two seasons of Arrow before Flash. Then you can watch Flash S1 and Arrow S3 concurrently but it doesn't really matter until they crossover in the 8th episode of each (and even those don't really directly connect but you should watch them in close proximity).

Agents of SHIELD is part of the whole massive Marvel Cinematic Universe. I still haven't watched it yet because I haven't begun Phase 2 which it seems to be part of but as I understand it the events of the movies directly shake up the status quo of the show mid way through its first season.

So basically as I understand it it goes
Phase 1: Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America, Avengers
Phase 2: Iron Man 3, AOS S01E01-7, Thor 2, AOS S01E08-16, Cap 2, AOS S01E17-22, Guardians of the Galaxy, AOS S02E01-Present

And then theres Avengers 2, the Defenders shows on Netflix, the Peggy Carter show on TV, and a bunch more. So I've just decided to not watch AOS and just pick it up on DVD with the Phase 2 movies and watch them in the order they work in in one long marathon. Then I'll start tracking Phase 3. It seems like my options to watch it in order are that or stay up on the show every week and see the movies opening Weekend. And I'm terrible at that.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Thanks! I wasn't aware of how extensive Marvel's crossover continuity has gotten. I've got enough poo poo to last me a few months at the very least.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Shield has a little Thor crossover, there's one episode that takes place directly after the movie and they've had a couple Asgardian guest stars. Other than that the biggest crossover was Cap 2 where events from that completely changed the show. Also they are doing a thing where they have begun to set up future movies with multiple characters (one main and one side) becoming Inhumans.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Fun Times! posted:

Hey all. I woke up today and realized that there's a bunch of superhero stuff on TV and figured I would get started on it. I've counted The Flash, Arrow, Gotham, and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (though there aren't any superheroes in it? Is that right?) Is that all of them?

I'm pretty oblivious when it comes to superhero stuff and was wondering if any of these shows are set in the same universe and if I should watch any of them before any other. I'm aware that Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. takes place after The Avengers but other than that I'm fairly clueless. Thanks for the help.

Good ones: Flash, Arrow, Constantine.

Bad ones: All the rest.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

raditts posted:

Good ones: Flash, Arrow, SHIELD.

Bad ones: All the rest, especially Constantine.

Agreed!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

People will claim that SHIELD is not boring trash.
Those people are called "liars."

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

They are, but in all fairness, when the superhero genre consists of such luminaries like Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, The Cape and Arrow, Agents of SHIELD is a straight up masterpiece.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CelestialScribe posted:

Maybe you're just bad at watching TV.

Just to be clear, you're talking to the dude who said more shows should be like The Flash, right?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

raditts posted:

SHIELD is very entertaining, and incidentally the best comic book show on TV.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Wandle Cax posted:

SHIELD is very entertaining, and incidentally the best comic book show on TV.
That's depressing. Remember when we used to have the DCAU?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I'm halfway through season 1 of SHIELD right now and I'm not hating it, I really like the team dynamics and the ongoing plots they're setting up, but drat if sometimes I just wish I was watching Nikita.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The first half of season 1 is the worst part of the show. If you didn't quit, it only gets better. Much better.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's the first serialised "prestige" drama in the contemporary sense? I often hear The West Wing, The Sopranos and Oz, but I'd assume it has a longer lineage than that; I reckon it could go back to the David E. Kelley stuff, stuff like Hill Street Blues or LA Law or one of the big-name nineties police/crime/medical dramas that won all the television awards, like Homicide: Life on the Street or NYPD Blue or Chicago Hope. Obviously very different series, but they must be antecedents at least.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Metal Loaf posted:

What's the first serialised "prestige" drama in the contemporary sense? I often hear The West Wing, The Sopranos and Oz, but I'd assume it has a longer lineage than that; I reckon it could go back to the David E. Kelley stuff, stuff like Hill Street Blues or LA Law or one of the big-name nineties police/crime/medical dramas that won all the television awards, like Homicide: Life on the Street or NYPD Blue or Chicago Hope. Obviously very different series, but they must be antecedents at least.

The Fugitive is probably one of the earliest ones that could fit that billing on US networks.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Metal Loaf posted:

Depends what you mean by that but probably ER in the modern sense. You could make the case for stuff like Dallas, but wasn't that more soap than prestige drama? Like I said, depends what you mean.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Metal Loaf posted:

What's the first serialised "prestige" drama in the contemporary sense?

That's a hard question to answer because prestige serialization as we know it today was popularized by The Sopranos, but television show have been serialized or had serialized aspects to them since the beginning of television. Look at shows like The X-Files, Twin Peaks, Roots or Dallas, which all were serialized to some degree (and Roots, like The Sopranos, was a limited run prestige drama).

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What's the comedic equivalent of his question? Larry Sanders Show?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Metal Loaf posted:

What's the first serialised "prestige" drama in the contemporary sense?

The Sopranos, period, end of story

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Toxxupation posted:

The Sopranos, period, end of story

The Sopranos and The West Wing both came out the same year, didn't they?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

thrawn527 posted:

The West Wing doesn't really count as a serialized TV show, especially in the early seasons.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah NBC showed West Wing re runs all the time out of order and it was easy to follow.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
West Wing always had sort of serial through-lines but yeah it was basically episodic.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

thrawn527 posted:

The Sopranos is the blueprint of modern contemporary serialized television

Nobody has or, really, can copy TWW because so much of it was built on the back of Sorkin's singular ability to write dialog incredibly well, there's nothing unique about TWW beyond its dialog which can't be copied because it's very specific to Sorkin

It's also a qualitative difference; Sopranos is inarguably one of if not the greatest tv show ever made, even now, and it invented the modern day antihero protagonist in serialized television, as opposed to TWW which was sometimes great but almost as often a very very bad television show about life in the White House

The Sopranos was a revolutionary show, TWW was just a very very good one- and a lot of the time it wasn't even that

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

feedmyleg posted:

What's the comedic equivalent of his question? Larry Sanders Show?

Isn't it SNL just by default at this point?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

If you want to know the answer and why it's sopranos you should read sepinwalls "revolution was televised" book, which is all about the history of the modern day prestige drama and a fascinating read in its own right

Also he's writing a sitcom equivalent so the answer to what the comedic equivalent is will be answered soon

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I don't care for Sepinwall.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Toxxupation posted:

The Sopranos is the blueprint of modern contemporary serialized television

Except, perhaps, for the really tedious period between 2004 and 2007 when TV writers seemed to think the blueprint was actually Lost. :v: (It's pretty weird going on to the Wikipedia page for the series that won the Emmy for Best Drama, and there's Lost and 24 smack dab in the middle of the last decade tucked between The Sopranos and Mad Men).

But more seriously, I don't think I could argue with any of that. I'm just curious about what led to it, and I suppose that's what my original question was trying to ask. Say you put The Sopranos in the middle of a continuum of "prestige" type television dramas, what would go on either side as landmarks in the format's development?

(Obviously, I realise one probably couldn't formulate an exact sequential list of that type, but such things appeal to me because I'm a giant wanker, basically.)

Toxxupation posted:

If you want to know the answer and why it's sopranos you should read sepinwalls "revolution was televised" book, which is all about the history of the modern day prestige drama and a fascinating read in its own right

Also he's writing a sitcom equivalent so the answer to what the comedic equivalent is will be answered soon

I haven't heard of that but it sounds like it might be interesting.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I'm not sure that there was a dramatic change with how sitcoms were done the way there was with prestige dramas after Oz/The Sopranos. I'm curious how he'll approach that book.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I guess one could argue that it followed shows like nypd blue or homicide in the sense of a morally or ethically grey protagonist or it followed oz both sequentially or Tonally as a "realistic, gritty" drama but that ignores the point

Like dude the thing about the sopranos is that it was a true game changer, it's why it's considered a revolutionary show that ushered in the modern era of serialized television, it was like nothing that came before

Sure David chase worked on northern exposure and Rockford files, two shows that were excellent and had a couple of stylistic similarities to the sopranos but really, the sopranos was like nothing before it

Like chase approached the sopranos for a completely unique perspective, he didn't even want to make a tv show- the sopranos was originally a script treatment for a movie, chase didn't even want it made into a tv series because he had originally planned on it being rejected from fox et al for being too dark and violent and have that script turned into a motion picture

So yeah it was like nothing before it. It's why it's considered a revolutionary hugely influential show; it had a creator who explicitly didn't give a poo poo about the conventions of television up to that point making whatever he wanted made, gently caress the critics or the fans or even his other writers

Trying to chart the sopranos in the middle of a timeline of television is inherently disingenuous and discounts how utterly different from everything before it it was

A more accurate way to chart television is "the era before the sopranos debuted" and "the era after the sopranos debuted", it's that huge of a tone change in the way television had been executed up until that point

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Haha, okay. :D

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

hcreight posted:

I'm not sure that there was a dramatic change with how sitcoms were done the way there was with prestige dramas after Oz/The Sopranos. I'm curious how he'll approach that book.

Eh, arrested development was pretty loving revolutionary and unlike any sitcom that came before it, it was also a critical proof positive for how the modern sitcom could be done; it was also the first truly serialized television show in the sense of the plot being essential to the show as opposed to just a situation for jokes to happen

The office uk also led to the office us which was a huge stylistic departure from the shows that came before it and pioneered awkward humor as a sitcom device

Then you have community which is the first show that truly interfaces and responds to its audience in a way that hasn't been seen before, the first Web 2.0 show as it were

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Babylon 5 was the first web 2.0 show by that logic.

e: or X-Files.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 15, 2014

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Babylon 5's a big pile of poo poo!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Seacrest said they're only doing one night of Idol this year and X-Factor's finale got historically low ratings in Britain last night so is this the death of singing contest shows :pray:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

IRQ posted:

I don't care for Sepinwall.

I used to. He's pretty poo poo these days though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

zoux posted:

Seacrest said they're only doing one night of Idol this year and X-Factor's finale got historically low ratings in Britain last night so is this the death of singing contest shows :pray:

Not as long as The Voice does fantastic numbers for NBC (by NBC standards).

• Locked thread