Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Maarek posted:

After 9/11 we should have rebuilt the World Trade Center to look exactly like it did on 9/10, we should have tried the 'enemy combatants' in Federal court, and we should have taken Bin Laden alive and dragged his rear end into court clean shaven and in an orange jumpsuit just like a common criminal. If we had done those things we could have pretended we are still a nation that believes in the rule of law and one that isn't afraid of terrorists.

It would have been a nice step toward reestablishing ourselves as a great nation instead of just a strong one.

FlamingLiberal posted:

No, you see, Clinton is at fault because he treated terrorism like a criminal issue, and therefore FAAARRTTTT

The next Clinton, if she gets in office, will certainly right that wrong. I wonder which terrorist bitch she'll kill first. Monica Lewinsky or Gennifer Flowers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

patentmagus posted:

The next Clinton, if she gets in office, will certainly right that wrong. I wonder which terrorist bitch she'll kill first. Monica Lewinsky or Gennifer Flowers.

Deb Fischer.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

patentmagus posted:

Sarah Palin.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Maarek posted:

After 9/11 we should have rebuilt the World Trade Center to look exactly like it did on 9/10, we should have tried the 'enemy combatants' in Federal court, and we should have taken Bin Laden alive and dragged his rear end into court clean shaven and in an orange jumpsuit just like a common criminal. If we had done those things we could have pretended we are still a nation that believes in the rule of law and one that isn't afraid of terrorists.

And we execute Osama by Destination Defenstration from the top of the towers.

And 24 is a Seinfeldian comedy about bumbling terrorists who aren't taken seriously and never get anything done.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Is there actually a Supreme Court case pending related to this, or is it just Scalia harming the authority of the Court again?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

Is there actually a Supreme Court case pending related to this, or is it just Scalia harming the authority of the Court again?

Who would even have standing to bring such a case?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Trabisnikof posted:

Who would even have standing to bring such a case?

If it were unconstitutional, a tortured detainee could theoretically bring a bivens claim.

But that's like having lupus.

it's never lupus.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

ActusRhesus posted:

If it were unconstitutional, a tortured detainee could theoretically bring a bivens claim.

But that's like having lupus.

it's never lupus.

It was that one time.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Discendo Vox posted:

It was that one time.

yeah...that one time just to give everyone hope that it could happen again.

Seems that since Bivens the court's done everything in its power to make bivens an anomaly...which sucks.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I had personally hoped for one last season in which every case turned out to involve lupus.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

I had personally hoped for one last season in which every case turned out to involve lupus.

A good friend of mine has lupus, I was out with her and her husband, and she mentioned having lupus (prior to that I was unaware of her lupus)

Me: HOLY poo poo IT IS LUPUS!!!!!

Her husband laughed. She had never seen House and was just confused.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Heien v. North Carolina: Objectively reasonable mistakes about what the law criminalizes does not render unconstitutional what is an otherwise reasonable seizure under that nonexistent law (but which the LEO reasonably believed to exist).

In other words, a LEO's objectively reasonable mistake of law doesn't violate the Fourth Amendment.

Roberts writes for 8; Kagan joins but concurs separately, with Ginsburg joining her concurrence; Sotomayor dissents alone.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

So what is objectively reasonable?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Green Crayons posted:

Heien v. North Carolina: Objectively reasonable mistakes about what the law criminalizes does not render unconstitutional what is an otherwise reasonable seizure under that nonexistent law (but which the LEO reasonably believed to exist).

In other words, a LEO's objectively reasonable mistake of law doesn't violate the Fourth Amendment.

Roberts writes for 8; Kagan joins but concurs separately, with Ginsburg joining her concurrence; Sotomayor dissents alone.

Sotomayowns.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Agreed, Warszawa. Definitely my favorite Justice.

Rygar201 posted:

So what is objectively reasonable?

Who knows! Whatever a court says is objectively reasonable.

In this case, SCOTUS said that the LEO's mistaken belief that the law required both taillights to work, when the law only required one taillight to work, was objectively reasonable because no controlling state appellate court decision had addressed the issue, and the language of the statute at least supported the LEO's mistaken belief. Also, SCOTUS mentions that the lower state appellate courts in this case held that such a mistaken belief was reasonable - and while I think this was basically SCOTUS just trying to say "hey look these other courts agreed with our conclusion, so we're not wrong!", and not really a factor in the analysis, I'm sure litigants will argue it to be part of the analysis.

So, from this brief rumination, courts will probably determine whether such a mistake was reasonable by looking at: (1) whether there was controlling law on point; (2) whether there was a legal basis that at least supported the LEO's mistaken belief; and (3) whether a lower tribunal already opined on whether the mistake was reasonable or not.

All in all, it sounds like a pretty low standard - almost as if it's indistinguishable from the very forgiving qualified immunity standard which protects LEOs from liability for having violated a constitutional right! - but SCOTUS assures us that this is a stringent standard indeed, and totally not the same thing as the QI standard.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

The Warszawa posted:

Sotomayowns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIFJLMyUwrg

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

The Warszawa posted:

Sotomayowns.

Wise Latina Justice still Best Justice, Justice of mi corazon.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So question, the ruling itself says:

quote:

Held: Because Darisse’s mistake of law was reasonable, there was rea- sonable suspicion justifying the stop under the Fourth Amendment. Pp. 4–13.

Would this be limited to "reasonable suspicion" type stuff which is already bullshit (traffic stops)? According to the ruling the guy consented to a search of his vehicle.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The Warszawa posted:

Sotomayowns.

I'm convinced Warszawa actually is Ginsberg at this point. That makes Ginsberg, Huntsman, and Rahm all posting in this forum.

Anybody else want to come out of the closet? :v:

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

So question, the ruling itself says:

Would this be limited to "reasonable suspicion" type stuff which is already bullshit (traffic stops)? According to the ruling the guy consented to a search of his vehicle.

I think the facts of this case: (1) that the reasonable mistake was "I thought both your taillights had to work"; and (2) the guy consented to the vehicle search means this case will have little to no precedent value.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

ActusRhesus posted:

I think the facts of this case: (1) that the reasonable mistake was "I thought both your taillights had to work"; and (2) the guy consented to the vehicle search means this case will have little to no precedent value.

We know that most people consent to searches, even when they are guilty as hell and shouldn't. The precedent is, cops can pull people over for anything now and have an above average chance of having the driver consent to a search.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pohl posted:

The precedent is, cops can pull people over for anything now

This was already true though?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Pohl posted:

We know that most people consent to searches, even when they are guilty as hell and shouldn't. The precedent is, cops can pull people over for anything now and have an above average chance of having the driver consent to a search.

That isn't so much a precedent of this case as a precedent of police interaction in the U.S. - I do disagree with AR about the precedential value of this case being tied to the consent search, insofar as we consider the search to be an extension of the seizure (which was predicated on a mistake of law). I haven't gone through the case, but I wonder if it's a Catch-22 where if the the search is close enough to the seizure (the stop) to make the evidence obtained from the search improperly gained, then it's close enough for the consent to cleanse the impropriety.

On the whole, I'm very skeptical of the influence of Supreme Court jurisprudence on on-the-ground officer conduct, though, and I'm not sure our consent jurisprudence regarding interaction with law enforcement approximates anything close to reality.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Pohl posted:

I don't think the holding goes that far.

A cop interpreting a statute requiring "a working stoplight" to mean "your brake lights both have to work" isn't unreasonable. I would think both brake lights have to work too. Really, I don't see this case as being expanded very much past the facts of this particular case.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
consent searches should be per se unconstitutional

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

ActusRhesus posted:

I don't think the holding goes that far.

A cop interpreting a statute requiring "a working stoplight" to mean "your brake lights both have to work" isn't unreasonable. I would think both brake lights have to work too. Really, I don't see this case as being expanded very much past the facts of this particular case.

It is funny that Sotomayor, who I believe to be the only sitting Justice with prosecutor experience, seems to be much less credulous about the reasonableness of police conduct.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

consent searches should be per se unconstitutional

I don't necessarily disagree. It's not all that hard to get a warrant (if there is actually probable cause). Most areas have on-call judges 24/7.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
I think warrantless searches have been made obsolete by technology.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
"searches should be both subjectively and objectively reasonable" and unlawful searches are objectively unreasonable and boom, one sentence disposition of this dumb case and another reason why I'll never be a justice

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
The framing of the decision sounds way worse than the actual case. When I saw the headline I was imagining being in court and hearing: "Your honor, I did not know that having a rear window Calvin-Peeing-On-Things sticker was not illegal".

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

unlawful searches are objectively unreasonable

I never gone to none of them high falutin' law schools but this sounds like a pretty good policy to me.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

The Warszawa posted:

It is funny that Sotomayor, who I believe to be the only sitting Justice with prosecutor experience, seems to be much less credulous about the reasonableness of police conduct.

oh it had pretext stop written all over it...but the law as it exists allows you to pull people over for "other reasons." If both tail lights had been out, there'd be no question it was a fair stop...so I don't think it's unreasonable to assume one light out is also a moving violation.

Which gets us into Whisky Juvenile's point about whether, given the prevalence of pretext stops, consent searches should be valid at all.

My vote is for "Detain and get a warrant...if there is actually probable cause, and if there is no probable cause, then move along."

The Warszawa posted:

I think warrantless searches have been made obsolete by technology.

Pretty much. I see no reason to not get warrants. If for no other reason than my selfish desire not to have to waste time and energy defending poo poo after the fact. Have probable cause? Get warrant.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Green Crayons posted:

Who knows! Whatever a court says is objectively reasonable.
While this isn't wrong, the difference between objectively reasonable and subjectively, is that subjectively reasonable is talking about actor's beliefs "I believed it was reasonable to believe that the law required two tail lights", and objectively is talking about the person doing the analysis "We believe your belief that the law required two tail lights was reasonable".

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

ActusRhesus posted:

oh it had pretext stop written all over it...but the law as it exists allows you to pull people over for "other reasons." If both tail lights had been out, there'd be no question it was a fair stop...so I don't think it's unreasonable to assume one light out is also a moving violation.

Which gets us into Whisky Juvenile's point about whether, given the prevalence of pretext stops, consent searches should be valid at all.

My vote is for "Detain and get a warrant...if there is actually probable cause, and if there is no probable cause, then move along."

Yeah, see I actually believe this on its face was not a pretext stop (though the grammarian in me thinks that the law is perfectly clear about the sufficiency of one light), but I think Sotomayor's jurisprudence is willing to bar reasonable mistakes to guard as much as possible against pretext stops, and that's a fascinating voice on the Court that we haven't really seen since Marshall.

Everyone should also read Justice Marshall's dissent in Los Angeles v. Lyons.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

twodot posted:

While this isn't wrong, the difference between objectively reasonable and subjectively, is that subjectively reasonable is talking about actor's beliefs "I believed it was reasonable to believe that the law required two tail lights", and objectively is talking about the person doing the analysis "We believe your belief that the law required two tail lights was reasonable".

This. Generally the standard in mistake of fact reviews is subjectively held and objectively reasonable. As in "you actually believed that to be true, and a reasonable person could have made the same mistake."

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

The Warszawa posted:

Yeah, see I actually believe this on its face was not a pretext stop (though the grammarian in me thinks that the law is perfectly clear about the sufficiency of one light), but I think Sotomayor's jurisprudence is willing to bar reasonable mistakes to guard as much as possible against pretext stops, and that's a fascinating voice on the Court that we haven't really seen since Marshall.

Everyone should also read Justice Marshall's dissent in Los Angeles v. Lyons.

Hmm...I'd have to read the actual briefs...but the court's describing it as a "suspicious vehicle" left me with the impression they had a hunch shenanigans were afoot and were just waiting for them to do something wrong so they could pull them over. Could be wrong on that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hobbesmaster posted:

This was already true though?

The difference is that they'd at least have to provide a legally defensible reason (a comically easy bar to clear) for a stop, whereas this one wasn't even that.

I'm surprised at how few cops take the opportunity to stop someone because they switched lanes while turning, people do that poo poo all the time like being a fat gently caress extends to driving habits and they need to take a wide turn for their wide rear end. Nowadays where I live they just throw up a "NO RIGHT TURN" sign to flash while the opposing traffic has a left turn arrow. gently caress correcting the behavior, just enable these lardasses to waste everyone's time.

AndNowMax
Sep 25, 2009

Fighting the fight for *mumble* *mumble*
Reading Kagan's concurrence it looks like the Court goes pretty far out of its way to say that this case applies only to the objective standard, and the officer's personal belief is more or less irrelevant (so you couldn't say the officer was poorly trained, for example). So this case really only applies to statutes that are "genuinely ambiguous," which in the context of traffic laws is probably going to be a very slim number.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

AndNowMax posted:

Reading Kagan's concurrence it looks like the Court goes pretty far out of its way to say that this case applies only to the objective standard, and the officer's personal belief is more or less irrelevant (so you couldn't say the officer was poorly trained, for example). So this case really only applies to statutes that are "genuinely ambiguous," which in the context of traffic laws is probably going to be a very slim number.

My interpretation is that this is the big takeaway, and is why the opinion presents the standard as stringent.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

AndNowMax posted:

Kagan's concurrence isn't law of the land. It's just what she (and Ginsburg) think, and she couldn't get three more folks to join her.

Roberts' opinion doesn't say anything about a statute having to be "genuinely ambiguous," at least as far as what I see. So that isn't a requirement, it's just what Kagan thinks is a requirement based off of her understanding of the majority opinion. But then again, Roberts didn't feel the need to amend his majority to include that phrase "genuinely ambiguous," so there's probably a reason for that.

At any rate, Roberts writes that an incorrect understanding of the law needs only to be "reasonable." So there doesn't need to be any ambiguity in an existing statute, an attorney just needs to come up with an after the fact, "reasonable" - but ultimately incorrect - justification of how the law could be understood to justify the LEO's actions.

Once again, what is an objectively "reasonable" misunderstanding of the law? As far as the SCOTUS tells us in this case, I return to:

quote:

So, from this brief rumination, courts will probably determine whether such a mistake was reasonable by looking at: (1) whether there was controlling law on point; (2) whether there was a legal basis that at least supported the LEO's mistaken belief; and (3) whether a lower tribunal already opined on whether the mistake was reasonable or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Wow, that reads like "throw everything against the wall and see what sticks when the defense moves to suppress."