Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shifty Pony posted:

as a patent examiner let me tell you that this is very much not limited to kickstarter.

how do you stay even a little bit sober?

phone apps are a great way to kick UI and complex logic out to a more forgiving development environment, plus you don't have to fit a display or buttons. I think it's a great trend. sometimes the apps are lovely, but are people building lovely apps really going to do a great job on a custom UI on the thing itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

yeah but idk maybe i don't want whoever the gently caress made my skillet to be reading my text messages, knowing my location at all times, and knowing who is in my contacts book. maybe that's just me though

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Subjunctive posted:

how do you stay even a little bit sober?

by completely crushing their dreams.

or at least making it clear that "on a portable electronic device" or "wherein the input device is a touchscreen" ain't gonna cut it.

which pretty much crushes their dreams.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

i showed this to someone at work, and they're seriously considering backing it

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
he likes to tell us the story of how he burned rice and almost burned down his apartment, and how he no longer has a working stove

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Migishu posted:

he likes to tell us the story of how he burned rice and almost burned down his apartment, and how he no longer has a working stove

how adults get through life without knowing how to cook will always confuse me

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Shifty Pony posted:

by completely crushing their dreams.

or at least making it clear that "on a portable electronic device" or "wherein the input device is a touchscreen" ain't gonna cut it.

which pretty much crushes their dreams.

Thank you for your service. :patriot:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Nelson MandEULA posted:

of course you're going to cook better if you use a thermometer and closely follow a recipe. that's what people should be doing in the first goddamned place.

for $199 that money you could buy a $30 t-fal skillet, a $96 super-fast thermapen, and a $70 subscription to america's test kitchen's whole web empire.
to the extent that this is how you learn to cook in the first place, sure. the goal should be to gain independence from recipes, though, except for special occasions when you want to cook something fancy, and even then you need to be independent enough to deal with substitutions and so forth. a recipe should be inspiration, not dogma.

lol at the $100 thermometer, though, a cheap one with a probe will do just fine.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

pls pay me 2 post

https://life.indiegogo.com/

namaste

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
igg trying to get a slice of that patreon action I see

Kihota
Aug 7, 2014
https://life.indiegogo.com/fundraisers/the-best-sandwich-ever-created
*mouth waters*

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

quote:

Really, I can make a sandwich. I just want to see how this platform works and what the fees are. I'm a nonprofit consultant and really wanted to kick the tires on this.

yeah, deffo not another potato salad coattailser, it's ~*market research*~

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

well i'm talking about physical inventions that are tied to apps

why bother spending money on processing power onboard when everyone who can afford oyur product has reasonably powerful computing hardware in they pocket dude

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Nelson MandEULA posted:

of course you're going to cook better if you use a thermometer and closely follow a recipe. that's what people should be doing in the first goddamned place.

for $199 that money you could buy a $30 t-fal skillet, a $96 super-fast thermapen, and a $70 subscription to america's test kitchen's whole web empire. and you'll actually learn things along the way like how to properly chop an onion, how to tell when a pan is hot, and how to make a roux.

but oh no, i'm not going to use a recipe! that's for idiots! cooking is something that either comes naturally or doesnt and there's no way to improve expect by spending money on gimmicky gadgets.

the kinds of cooking i generally do, i look for recipes mostly as sources for inspiration, like the last one i found i liked i subbed black beans for chickpeas, halved the tomatoes, dropped the chorizo, used 2x as much garlic, tossed in a shallot, and it turned out really good, and it's morally the same thing as the original

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

like, i dont cook meat or candy or anything else that requires a thermometer, i wanna know something's done i stick a fork it in and see what sticks

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Nintendo Kid posted:

why bother spending money on processing power onboard when everyone who can afford oyur product has reasonably powerful computing hardware in they pocket dude

it's an appcessory

nifty gadget that extends your phone, completely and utterly worthless without one

if you're managing a BTLE stack, you can blink a LED. don't start poo poo about "processing power" when you've got a cortex M0 aboard

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Suspicious Dish posted:

Thank you for your service. :patriot:

they moved me to a new area where the companies actually come up with new poo poo and I have to actually issue patents now instead of grinding stupid ideas under the weight of nearly 200 years of prior publications.

its the worst :mad:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I'm the box labeled POS https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/973736766/the-cybermatrix-100-concept-a02?ref=category_newest

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

this guy has submitted loads of these and i think he's probably actually severely mentally challenged (as opposed to the mildly mentally challenged of most kickstarter "entrepreneurs"), so it's not as funny imo

e: just saw the video :smith:

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Dec 16, 2014

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Risks and challenges

rude remarks and threats.

Learn about accountability on Kickstarter

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

e: just saw the video :smith:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

welcome to the future of gaming, called the cybermatrix 100. this console has had so many failures but my console eats these failures and turns them into succussors, how?

simple! i learn from these fails and try to work through them. however, when they get too high, when things get too tough, that's when i have to back off and do again tomorrow or the day after.

anyway, for those who are dying for my console's diagrams and want to help, please donate 1000 dollars usd and i'll send them to you through drop box.

best, schaun

i dont want to watch the video

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

to the extent that this is how you learn to cook in the first place, sure. the goal should be to gain independence from recipes, though, except for special occasions when you want to cook something fancy, and even then you need to be independent enough to deal with substitutions and so forth. a recipe should be inspiration, not dogma.

this is the horseshit fantasy of every suburban housewife

the best restaurant meals are produced by precise adherence to a recipe, with all tasks performed by experienced craftsmen. those flavors and experiences are possible specifically because there are no substitutions and no fuckups

every idiot dreams of being such a good cook that it's effortless and any given ingredient just magically shines. but that's not how real life works. if you want to do something more complicated than meat and potatoes and have it come off reliably, you're gonna have to suppress your urge to improvise

unsurprisingly i sometimes enjoy cooks illustrated, the epitome of "gently caress you" to improvisation

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
lol no one cares about anyone's opinions on ~*the right way to cook*~

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the best restaurant meals are produced by precise adherence to a recipe, with all tasks performed by experienced craftsmen. those flavors and experiences are possible specifically because there are no substitutions and no fuckups

every idiot dreams of being such a good cook that it's effortless and any given ingredient just magically shines. but that's not how real life works. if you want to do something more complicated than meat and potatoes and have it come off reliably, you're gonna have to suppress your urge to improvise

unsurprisingly i sometimes enjoy cooks illustrated, the epitome of "gently caress you" to improvisation

i'm pretty sure a restaurant wants to be consistent so people will know what they're going to get every time

if i'm cooking a pork shoulder i just throw stuff into the pot and cook that poo poo without once using a measuring device

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

are the cooks really expert craftsmen?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

BONGHITZ posted:

are the cooks really expert craftsmen?

when you've got chefs and sauciers and all those other specialized guys, they're probably pretty expert

edit: drat, they even have dedicated people for washing the pots and pans https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigade_de_cuisine

Plongeur (dishwasher or kitchen porter)
cleans dishes and utensils, and may be entrusted with basic preparatory jobs.[1]

Marmiton (pot and pan washer, also known as kitchen porter)
in larger restaurants, takes care of all the pots and pans instead of the plongeur.[2]

edit edit: i'm pretty sure bourdain talks about this kind of thing in "kitchen confidential", where the guy who makes the fries is an important dude

prefect fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 16, 2014

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yes, and? every meal doesn't have to be a perfectly tuned ~gastronomic experience~. the horseshit fantasy here is your ridiculous idea that home cooking has to try to match the experience of dining at the best restaurants.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

notorious b.s.d. is correct, actually.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Soricidus posted:

yes, and? every meal doesn't have to be a perfectly tuned ~gastronomic experience~. the horseshit fantasy here is your ridiculous idea that home cooking has to try to match the experience of dining at the best restaurants.

boy golly what are you so angry about

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i agree with notorious bsd. it's really frustrating when my wife sends me a recipe and says make this for dinner, and then it turns out we're missing like half the ingredients, and she's all, oh just leave them out, it'll be fine.

no it won't be, it never is. :negative:

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Elder Postsman posted:

i agree with notorious bsd. it's really frustrating when my wife sends me a recipe and says make this for dinner, and then it turns out we're missing like half the ingredients, and she's all, oh just leave them out, it'll be fine.

no it won't be, it never is. :negative:

there's a big difference between adjusting the amount or substituting ingredients to fit your taste and completely omitting them because you forgot to go to the store

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I tried to make brownies without egg once

hoo baby

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

someone post the yosmeal that looked like dogshit on vomit photographed with a cellphone

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Bloody posted:

someone post the yosmeal that looked like dogshit on vomit photographed with a cellphone

which one???

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

whats the fun in that

i mean ok obviously don't do stuff like tfe's no-egg brownies or substitute whole wheat flour for rice flour or stuff like that, but if you cant look at your pantry and come up with a recipe from scratch based on what you have on hand and have it turn out at least 'pretty good' then you're just some kind of lab tech

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

like tonight is 'spinach calzones', i don't have a recipe and it's going to be pretty ad hoc, but i have the big picture stuff mapped out (fry spinach + mushrooms + onions until soft, put in bowl w/ shredded mozzarella and maybe some goat cheese crumbles, mix with sauce, also roll out the defrosted dough and wrap stuff up, bake 15 minutes @ 400 until done) and its gonna be good

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

fritz posted:

like tonight is 'spinach calzones', i don't have a recipe and it's going to be pretty ad hoc, but i have the big picture stuff mapped out (fry spinach + mushrooms + onions until soft, put in bowl w/ shredded mozzarella and maybe some goat cheese crumbles, mix with sauce, also roll out the defrosted dough and wrap stuff up, bake 15 minutes @ 400 until done) and its gonna be good

no i need a pan and a special phone app and a trip to the asian grocer to make my meal every night

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

i used to share a house with a 'cooks illustrated' guy, we were both excited about moving in b/c huge kitchen, i think he made fewer than ten dishes the whole year we were there, all out of cooks illustrated recipes, he had all sorts of gadgets and knives and hardware, meanwhile I'm cooking for myself 5 mights a week, never using recipes, eating all sorts of tasty stews and curries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

the garbage plate

• Locked thread