Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tonetta posted:

Need an elaboration on this one if you would please

The people who like to travel to opens, PTQs, and other big events to try and make it big. Very results oriented, have a chip on their shoulder until they've proven themselves. Insufferable. Might stink due to "need to play test overriding rules of common decency." The gaming version of the trading card shark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Chill la Chill posted:

The people who like to travel to opens, PTQs, and other big events to try and make it big. Very results oriented, have a chip on their shoulder until they've proven themselves. Insufferable. Might stink due to "need to play test overriding rules of common decency." The gaming version of the trading card shark.

Also, usually good enough to spike your LGS's tournaments, which gives them a false sense of their own skill level, but not good enough to actually cash GPs or win PTQs.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
So essentially the argument is that because the players are good, they win all the time? If it's not them winning all the time it'll be someone else so I don't really meet eye to eye on that complaint.

Also I have a hard time believing that same someone really wants to crush some soft fnm with an extremely serious attitude, since you're not going to learn the matchup right if your opponent is gonna make as many misplays as they have turns.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Tonetta posted:

Also I have a hard time believing that same someone really wants to crush some soft fnm with an extremely serious attitude, since you're not going to learn the matchup right if your opponent is gonna make as many misplays as they have turns.

These people are more serious about stroking their ego than actually trying to improve (let alone admitting they aren't perfection incarnate that only loses to lucksacks).

e: Not that every grinder is like this, but it seems there's at least one of "that guy" at every store you go to.

Starving Autist fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 15, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Chill la Chill posted:

I treat Magic the same way I treat golf; I recognize I'm not pro material and just try to have fun rather than harbor delusions of grandeur. I like to win, but I'm just as much of a Johnny as as Spike. I'll happily play a deck that wins less than 50% if the time, if when I win I get to Stain the Mind someone's wincon entirely.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Angry Grimace posted:

I treat Magic the same way I treat golf; I recognize I'm not pro material and just try to have fun rather than harbor delusions of grandeur. I like to win, but I'm just as much of a Johnny as as Spike. I'll happily play a deck that wins less than 50% if the time, if when I win I get to Stain the Mind someone's wincon entirely.

Magic the gathering: A good sit spoiled.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
The worst part of the new PPTQ system is that it didn't actually dissuade any grinders from going to every single PTQ, they just go to every PPTQ instead. So the local PPTQ at a store that could only hold 40 people filled up days in advance by people who drove in from hours away.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

FordCQC posted:

I don't get the joke. What's it from?

The Matrix.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I like to have fun more than try to be the best. Really being good requires hours of play testing (which means modo), analyzing meta changes, traveling to various poo poo hole cities each weekend, scrounging up expensive cards etc. It's why I focus on limited mostly.

When the big events come to you though make sure to check them out. Speaking of which SCG was in town and I have a tonne of stories.

It was the first weekend of their new gp style setup. We'll see how it goes but it kind of relies on having higher attendance than there was. The standard open favoured good players because of the surplus of rounds smoothing out variance a bit. Also lots of odd pairings at the top tables. My buddy sneaked in to the top 8 with x-3-1 which is way better than 2 losses and you're dead which is how it used to be.

The Sunday alternate format tourneys were very odd. I guess all the best players made day two of standard. Everyone else who was hot poo poo wanted to prove it in legacy which meant modern which started an hour later was super soft. They needed 167*30 in entrance fees just to cover prizes and nothing else and they had 130 entrants. I think they were embarrassed by that.

Two of my friends top foured legacy which was awesome too. One got demolished in the semis by some goblin welder deck that had to be the most expensive in the room. Judge forces, alpha duals etc. The pilot was in a ratty t shirt and I'll fitting jeans I just don't get that.

For myself I played scapeshift. This about sums up my day...
horns.aiff

Also in more completely unsubstantiated rumours, apparently at the very second pro tour ever a dead body was found in one of the competitor's hotel rooms, potentially a prostitute. All judges and event staff were sworn to secrecy as this getting out would have completely sunk the nascent organized play initiative. hosed up if true. I kind of want to spring a question on someone involved back then and see their expression as they immediately think what to say.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

The worst part is when you get marginally better and then you realize how far you are from actually being good... :(

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

It's not the getting good that's difficult, it's the getting good and learning how to stay good under several hours of pressure and high level thinking that always goes on at tournaments. That's really the reason I can't find myself able to get into competitive Magic, I have other things to stress out about.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Also, usually good enough to spike your LGS's tournaments, which gives them a false sense of their own skill level, but not good enough to actually cash GPs or win PTQs.

My favorite is when people who aren't even this good go to a GP to cash. It is insane. I love reading facebook when a group of seriously delusional people make a trip to an SCG open or GP. Even weirder, there are plenty of events with good prizes and not crazy attendance that are much more realistic in terms of winning. I'd much rather go to a SUPER IQ or whatever with $500 in prizes for top 8 than an SCG open, my chances just on attendance alone are way way better.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

jassi007 posted:

My favorite is when people who aren't even this good go to a GP to cash. It is insane. I love reading facebook when a group of seriously delusional people make a trip to an SCG open or GP.

What about when goons go to las vegas for a GP?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Zoness posted:

Are they going to crack MM15 packs, get a sweet playmat and live the vegas lifestyle or do they think they can day 2 a 5000-10000 person GP? Group 1 is me, group 2 is insane.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Zoness posted:

Depends on why, I plan to go to every GP I can but that's because a GP is basically a magic convention and there's a ton of poo poo to do after we all scrub out miserably!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

jassi007 posted:

My favorite is when people who aren't even this good go to a GP to cash. It is insane. I love reading facebook when a group of seriously delusional people make a trip to an SCG open or GP. Even weirder, there are plenty of events with good prizes and not crazy attendance that are much more realistic in terms of winning. I'd much rather go to a SUPER IQ or whatever with $500 in prizes for top 8 than an SCG open, my chances just on attendance alone are way way better.

I know a few terrible players who are qualified for SCG Invitationals... Like guys I beat 75% of the time across formats...

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

I know a few terrible players who are qualified for SCG Invitationals... Like guys I beat 75% of the time across formats...

I know someone who I feel I am at parity with who top 8'd a SCG open this year. I think he lost in the semi's. I don't think he is consistently good enough to repeat, not that he is bad, he just got lucky. It is hard to talk about luck in magic, because it exists, and has a real effect, but people use it as an excuse. Skill > luck but luck can lift you up or sink you. You just have to play like it doesn't exist.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

These people are more serious about stroking their ego than actually trying to improve (let alone admitting they aren't perfection incarnate that only loses to lucksacks).

e: Not that every grinder is like this, but it seems there's at least one of "that guy" at every store you go to.

Right. A lot of it stems from a misplaced, inflated ego. There are some people who are more humble and recognize their faults but unfortunately my experience is that this is in the minority. I play at stores where you can expect FNM a to be treated as PTQ practice. Gearheart, the guy who made solidarity, plays in one - until he switched over to LCGs only. The difference is that there are people who might travel to a few and generally do well and there are the dreamers who have that chip. I have gotten to cash in at GPs, gotten to top 2-4 PTQs, gotten IQs, but I don't brag about it in real life - I only mention it in semi-anonymous forums apparently. I go when it's convenient and it's more of a trip with friends. I still don't understand going with strangers to try and win some money. I don't have delusions of what I want from a PTQ. I'm just looking for a free trip to a cool place. But it's funny when these types of grinders feel bad to losing to me because I'm just the typical FNM player there who doesn't have anything to prove. The real difference really is humility. I learned it at the gym and in the ring - seems like plenty of these guys could learn that lesson there too. How many times do people even ask if they could've done something differently earlier in the game?

Doesn't help that I sometimes encourage saltiness by shuffling my cards and making it seem like I just drew the game-winning card on the last turn when they had lethal on board. I consider it my own little skill test to see if the opponent knows how long I've been sand bagging a card. :3: But hey, it's a choice to be salty. You can keep thinking I was lucky instead of realizing I might've been holding that cryptic command for 5 turns.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

What about if this insufferable grinder is good enough to win the worlds, do they still fit the profile then?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Wadjamaloo posted:

What about if this insufferable grinder is good enough to win the worlds, do they still fit the profile then?

Which worlds winner is an insufferable grinder?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

jassi007 posted:

I know someone who I feel I am at parity with who top 8'd a SCG open this year. I think he lost in the semi's. I don't think he is consistently good enough to repeat, not that he is bad, he just got lucky. It is hard to talk about luck in magic, because it exists, and has a real effect, but people use it as an excuse. Skill > luck but luck can lift you up or sink you. You just have to play like it doesn't exist.

I had a guy at my store who won a Sunday open on a double standard weekend (so like 1/3 of the attendance for Saturday where he went 2-4 rage quit), and from then on he became insufferable. He was playing Naya Blitz (this was almost two years ago now), and basically rode god hands the whole way. I'm sure he had some good plays in there somewhere, but he hasn't been consistently good since. Not even enough to make top 8 at the local Saturday night tournament more than once a month at best.

It gets obnoxious because any tiny bit of success turns into a god-given right to succeed over their opponents. "I've already won a big tournament and you haven't, therefore I should win." He sits in the corner with the other two guys at the store who take themselves way too seriously and openly mock the new players and bitch loudly about how they lost to people who didn't deserve to win.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yes of course. A grognard will be a grognard. Ari Lax seems like a douche. I know from my experience that Todd Anderson also fits the profile. Brad Nelson is alright but his story is more of a really sad one.

This does remind me: friends and I are gonna try to get a bunch of people together to take pics with us doing physical stuff with magic stuff involved. We're gonna call it #MuscleWizardry and it'll probably have stuff like flexing a bicep curl on one hand while holding a deck box with the other. Wearing a playmat on top of a lifting belt and doing squats. Using a playmat as a towel while running. Holding a couple cards with a pair of boxing gloves slung over the other shoulder. Stuff you'd expect to see as a gym ad. I hope this hasn't been done yet. :ohdear:

Get that image out there that we're not all insufferable basement autists. We're also gym rat autists.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

Yes of course. A grognard will be a grognard. Ari Lax seems like a douche. I know from my experience that Todd Anderson also fits the profile. Brad Nelson is alright but his story is more of a really sad one.

This does remind me: friends and I are gonna try to get a bunch of people together to take pics with us doing physical stuff with magic stuff involved. We're gonna call it #MuscleWizardry and it'll probably have stuff like flexing a bicep curl on one hand while holding a deck box with the other. Wearing a playmat on top of a lifting belt and doing squats. Using a playmat as a towel while running. Holding a couple cards with a pair of boxing gloves slung over the other shoulder. Stuff you'd expect to see as a gym ad. I hope this hasn't been done yet. :ohdear:

Get that image out there that we're not all insufferable basement autists. We're also gym rat autists.

Why is Nelson sad? Just that he was a "grinder" for so long?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

You should do a calendar. Men of Magic.

Let that thought percolate for a bit. You're welcome.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
yeah gently caress those guys for playing magic differently than me. don't those dicks know my definition of fun is the right one?

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

mcmagic posted:

I don't know the details but if I remember right he's the one who effectively threw his life away (girlfriend, education, etc) to play competitively.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I don't know the details but if I remember right he's the one who effectively threw his life away (girlfriend, education, etc) to play competitively.

He does have a "job" playing magic though... Right?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

odiv posted:

You should do a calendar. Men of Magic.

Let that thought percolate for a bit. You're welcome.

Yeah I'd be up for it but right now I'm cutting as well as a bunch of people so it wouldn't look as impressive. We could try it during ab summer. Just have a bunch of is coming out of the shower or beach holding a couple cards over our naughty bits. Maybe covering nips too.

mcmagic posted:

I have a friend who is dangerously close to doing the same stupid poo poo he did. He just did Baltimore this past weekend even though he had a final this morning. I was done already. He? Said he was so close to day 2'ing GPs before (Richmond and DC). He's turning into a grinder and I'm trying to keep him out of it.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

born on a buy you posted:

yeah gently caress those guys for playing magic differently than me. don't those dicks know my definition of fun is the right one?
I haven't come across any in Magic because I go to a super casual LGS when I do get a chance to play, but I used to run into the same kind of guy in poker and holy gently caress you get tired of it quickly. And besides, they're complaining about us lucking into beating them, so it evens out.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
You can always tell if someone is not in it to have fun if they insult you when you tell them you P1P1 Meandering Towershell because you wanted to win with the Durdle Turtle.

Well....yeah, basically. If your definition of fun involves being insufferable you're doing it wrong.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah I'd be up for it but right now I'm cutting as well as a bunch of people so it wouldn't look as impressive. We could try it during ab summer. Just have a bunch of is coming out of the shower or beach holding a couple cards over our naughty bits. Maybe covering nips too.

Theros Island to cover dongs, of course?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

I don't think anyone is complaining about anyone's play style, just personalities that are unpleasant to be around or play a game with.

E: not to mention self-defeating if your goal is to improve.

Starving Autist fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 15, 2014

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Angry Grimace posted:

You can always tell if someone is not in it to have fun if they insult you when you tell them you P1P1 Meandering Towershell because you wanted to win with the Durdle Turtle.

Durdle Turtle is my P1P1 in my cube, excluding a few sweet cards like Lili and Smokestack, never mind in Khans draft where it's a reasonable pick.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Yup, that's the one. Left college, lost jobs/relationships, the whole nine yards, all because he literally couldn't stop playing MTGO. http://killingagoldfish.blogspot.ca/2011/07/book-grinder-brad-nelson-story-by-rich.html

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

just personalities that are unpleasant to be around or play a game with.

I'm sure there isn't anyone like that posting ITT

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Grinder trap sprung.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Serperoth posted:

Theros Island to cover dongs, of course?

Holy poo poo I forgot. I have them in multiple languages so we can use appropriate ones. ;)

But yeah look for this in the next few months.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Being the best player at an FNM is like being the best athlete on your beer league softball team. You're way better than most people who play the game for fun, but there's also a huge gap between you and the people who can play the game for a living.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Temple of Malady: 20.76 Tix on MTGO.

Temple of Malady officially costs more than Dark Confidant.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

Temple of Malady: 20.76 Tix on MTGO.

Temple of Malady officially costs more than Dark Confidant.

That's insane. It's actually down in paper under 9 bucks...

• Locked thread