Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the gently caress is this, they had the opportunity to make an official chiesburger and went with teddy instead gently caress this idiot planet

Flint_Paper posted:

I've decided to make this my Christmas RPG. Never played a Persona game before so found it utterly baffling for the first 8 hours or so. I also made the mistake of starting on hard, like an idiot.

All that aside, I think I've finally gotten to grips with the combat and I'm having a whale of a time. I'm also gradually closing in on understanding, you know, the whole god drat idea of Personas and how they work. Cautiously optimistic. I did find myself checking a guide and then fretting about having ~missed some social interaction~ but then I realised I'm going to have more fun just getting on with the game and not panicking over getting every drat thing right first time.

Any beginner tips (I'm at the bath house dungeon at the moment :captainpop: ) would be very welcome!

fuse fuse fuse. always be fusing personas into others. don't worry too much about keeping and levelling a couple until the end game, unless they have some skills coming up you would want to pass on, have a item heart thing or cover an element you don't have/have some choice resistances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Stux posted:

fuse fuse fuse. always be fusing personas into others. don't worry too much about keeping and levelling a couple until the end game, unless they have some skills coming up you would want to pass on, have a item heart thing or cover an element you don't have/have some choice resistances.

Once I fuse they're added to the compendium so I can restore them later, right? Does that also store their current skillset? Sorry for the daft question but it's like my brain just doesn't want to understand the fusing aspect of the game.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Flint_Paper posted:

Once I fuse they're added to the compendium so I can restore them later, right? Does that also store their current skillset? Sorry for the daft question but it's like my brain just doesn't want to understand the fusing aspect of the game.

You have to go and pick "Update Compendium" before fusing if you want your Compendium persona(e) to reflect any level-upping/skill fuckery you've done since obtaining the persona.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Flint_Paper posted:

just get used to automatically going to update the compendium each time you go to fuse etc. it does store their current skill set so you can even fuse something you really like if it has a good fusion, then buy it back again straight away.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Flint_Paper posted:

Personas are registered in the compendium either when you acquire them at the end of a battle, or when you create them for the first time via fusion. Any skills they learn after you acquire them aren't saved unless you have Margaret update them in the compendium for you. Similarly, if you fuse a new version of a Persona with different skills, it won't be saved to the compendium unless you ask Margaret to overwrite the old version.

Also, Personas that are higher level than their base level cost more to pull out of the compendium, so try not to overwrite something unless you're satisfied with the skill set it has.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Smart. So basically it's just a case of keeping the compendium up-to-date and jamming mans together until Cool Dudes appear, right?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Flint_Paper posted:

I've decided to make this my Christmas RPG. Never played a Persona game before so found it utterly baffling for the first 8 hours or so. I also made the mistake of starting on hard, like an idiot.

All that aside, I think I've finally gotten to grips with the combat and I'm having a whale of a time. I'm also gradually closing in on understanding, you know, the whole god drat idea of Personas and how they work. Cautiously optimistic. I did find myself checking a guide and then fretting about having ~missed some social interaction~ but then I realised I'm going to have more fun just getting on with the game and not panicking over getting every drat thing right first time.

Any beginner tips (I'm at the bath house dungeon at the moment :captainpop: ) would be very welcome!

I love reading these first times. Here's two hint, there is going to be situations where you need to think it through. Also max out Marie's social link before December.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Flint_Paper posted:

Smart. So basically it's just a case of keeping the compendium up-to-date and jamming mans together until Cool Dudes appear, right?

Basically, yeah. There is a logic behind what fusion components produce what result, but you'll do pretty well just by checking your current personae every so often to see what you can make, and picking something that's higher-level than the components and has the stats/skills you want.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
You already figured out the most important thing, which is to do Social Links at your own pace you first time through.

The two important ones are the fox, which will aid in gameplay, and Marie, which will get you more story.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Status and buff/debuff spells (especially buff/debuff spells) aren't the worthless trash you see in a lot of other RPGs. It's probably worth carrying a persona around that can throw out the full party buffs, and probably the single target debuffs. It's less important if your party members can cast them, but you have to make sure to actually use them.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
On a similar vein, don't overlook party member skills that buff/debuff. Yosuke's Dekunda skill is awesome throughout the entire game because stripping buffs off of enemies never goes out of style, and Yosuke's huge agility stat means he almost always gets to go first and cancel buffs before enemies get to profit off them.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Flint_Paper posted:

(I'm at the bath house dungeon at the moment :captainpop: )

Hey, me too. I'm playing through for the first time as well.

I haven't actually gone in to make a rescue attempt yet. But man, Kanji's "shadow self" or whatever on the midnight channel was kind of cringe-inducing. On the one hand I want to give the game credit. If you're going to have a story about teenagers literally battling their inner demons then a character struggling with their sexuality sounds like a good premise. But that caricature just felt like a bunch of bad stereotypes. Maybe clumsy anime melodrama isn't the best vehicle for this sort of thing. Meh, this is surely well worn ground. Will keep going but I'm not looking forward to sitting through more of that.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

that was deliberate and you missed the point

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Try to do Margaret's S-Link as well, which is focused entirely around fusing Persona with certain skills. Some of them are really good, and one of them can carry you to the end game if you raise it well.

Try to only enter the TV World on rainy days. Some shadows only appear on rainy days and drop items that you can sell to Daidara to further expand the list of equipment he sells. Most S-Links aren't available on rainy days either, so it's usually worth your time. Try to complete the dungeons early, too. The sooner they're done, the more time you'll have to sit back, relax, and work on your S-Links, especially those of your party members. Party member S-Links are not available while someone is trapped in the TV World.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

that was deliberate and you missed the point

Most likely. I just got there so I'll see how the rest plays out. The first impression just felt REALLY clumsy.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Neurion posted:

Try to only enter the TV World on rainy days. Some shadows only appear on rainy days and drop items that you can sell to Daidara to further expand the list of equipment he sells. Most S-Links aren't available on rainy days either, so it's usually worth your time. Try to complete the dungeons early, too. The sooner they're done, the more time you'll have to sit back, relax, and work on your S-Links, especially those of your party members. Party member S-Links are not available while someone is trapped in the TV World.
To clarify, entering the dungeon on a rainy day is something you should probably do after rescuing someone. The reason being that since you can't work on party S. Links while someone is trapped, you'd waste more time waiting for a rainy day to come than to just do it right away. With the exception of the April and December dungeons it is always in your best interests to complete dungeons literally as soon as you are able to do so. If you need something to do on a rainy day afterwards, then yeah you could hop into the TV world for grinding or whatever. Or eat some beef bowls.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I only ever went into the TV when I was ready to save someone. You are on a time limit and the days you get are important for more than just grinding.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Going once or twice toward the middle during a rainy day can be pretty useful, especially in term of cash, as it an set you up for never caring about cash ever again.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I dunno, I never had any kind of monetary issues. If you only go in once you'll be in there for a long time and you accumulate a lot of money that way.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Persona is not a hard game, you should really prioritise talking to the people you want to talk to, rather than gameplay benefit.

Some thoughts on social links:
1. Don't follow a social linking guide, those are tedious as hell.
2. You should definitely do the ones with Dojima and Nanako, be warned you have a limited time window and you need to max out expression for the final levels in them.
3. Party member social links are definitely worth it. Be warned, the penultimate one for each female PC lets you enter into a romance. Don't choose more than one girl, you will regret this. Also Chie is the Correct Choice.
4. Moon is a good story though it might seem bad initially. Sun is kinda ehn but useful for boosting expression. Strength is pretty cool.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I chose loads of girls and didn't regret it at all.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
My tips:
-use the secret service costumes
-use the power rangers costumes

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Fangz posted:

1. Don't follow a social linking guide, those are tedious as hell.
3. Party member social links are definitely worth it. Be warned, the penultimate one for each female PC lets you enter into a romance. Don't choose more than one girl, you will regret this. Also Chie is the Correct Choice.

These are somewhat related, too. It's worth noting that many (all?) of the max social link guides are written under the assumption that you're a heartbreaking jackass who romances everyone. Instead of, ya know, a more reasonable "if you want to romance X, answer Y here; if you're in a romance with X, pick this, otherwise pick that" to let the reader choose.

Some of them also assume that you want to go with basketball for Strength and drama for Sun. So yeah, I'd second the advice to just ignore them. And even if you want to go for max social links in NG+ or something, probably better to start with their template but then modify it to reflect your own preferences in romance, Strength, and Sun.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Looper posted:

My tips:
-use the secret service costumes
-use the power rangers costumes

And give up the Dojima costume? What is WRONG with you?

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop
first time tips:
-don't sweat he social links, if you want to see them, do them on NG+ (takes much less time because of Fast Forward and Battle difficulty options)
-after a certain party member joins, every dungeon can be done in 1 day (provided you're cool with some grinding); giving you more time for SLs and gardening

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

RadicalR posted:

If the entire team could be Dojima, things'd be different

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

A lot of them have better costumes than the Power Ranger ones, but having your whole team dressed up like that makes up for it.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

RadicalR posted:

woah, how do you get this?! I thought I had all the costumes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

McCracAttack posted:

Most likely. I just got there so I'll see how the rest plays out. The first impression just felt REALLY clumsy.
all of the shadows are ridiculously exaggerated because they're the person's fears

kanji's shadow acts like that because it's how an idiot teenager would imagine a really loving gay dude would act

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Medium Cool posted:

woah, how do you get this?! I thought I had all the costumes

Buy it from Okina, I believe sometime in December onwards.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
A bit more than that. As you may have seen from Yosuke, Chie and Yukiko, a Shadow is that person's insecurities and denial as its core, but wrapped in so much exagerations and half truth they are just real enough to grate: No, Yosuke isn't a psychopath just out to relieve his ennui, Chie isn't a dominatrix, and Yukiko isn't a nympomaniac with a crush on her best friend.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Endorph posted:

all of the shadows are ridiculously exaggerated because they're the person's fears

kanji's shadow acts like that because it's how an idiot teenager would imagine a really loving gay dude would act

Oookay, I was misunderstanding that part of the shadows then. There's been lots of dialog about how the characters needed to stand up and accept these ugly parts of themselves and how everyone has thoughts and feelings they're ashamed of. I thought the game was headed towards "You need to accept that this lisping stereotype is a part of you." But your explanation makes the whole thing fall into place. The game was probably going to spell that out for me anyway (or already did and I wasn't getting it) but it just so happens that scene was the last thing I saw before I quit for the night so I was kinda put off. Thanks for pointing that out so I won't be grimacing through the rest of this dungeon.

Iceclaw posted:

A bit more than that. As you may have seen from Yosuke, Chie and Yukiko, a Shadow is that person's insecurities and denial as its core, but wrapped in so much exagerations and half truth they are just real enough to grate: No, Yosuke isn't a psychopath just out to relieve his ennui, Chie isn't a dominatrix, and Yukiko isn't a nympomaniac with a crush on her best friend.

Yeah, I just thought they were shameful thoughts and feelings turned into monsters. I didn't understand they were like the characters thinking, "Is this the sort of monster I am for having these thoughts?" The whole thing makes much more sense now. I got that one wrong.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 15, 2014

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
There's some supplementary stuff on the tv menu about Jungian psychology 101, if you're curious

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Seconding this for social links: try to max out party members, and you're a monster if you don't max Nanko and Dojima's.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

McCracAttack posted:

Oookay, I was misunderstanding that part of the shadows then. There's been lots of dialog about how the characters needed to stand up and accept these ugly parts of themselves and how everyone has thoughts and feelings they're ashamed of. I thought the game was headed towards "You need to accept that this lisping stereotype is a part of you." But your explanation makes the whole thing fall into place. The game was probably going to spell that out for me anyway (or already did and I wasn't getting it) but it just so happens that scene was the last thing I saw before I quit for the night so I was kinda put off. Thanks for pointing that out so I won't be grimacing through the rest of this dungeon.

Yeah, I just thought they were shameful thoughts and feelings turned into monsters. I didn't understand they were like the characters thinking, "Is this the sort of monster I am for having these thoughts?" The whole thing makes much more sense now. I got that one wrong.

Consider the Shadows to be how the character sees themselves, in a sense --a warped version of the aspects of themselves they repress. For Kanji, his "masculinity" is a major psychological crutch that he's been fronting to hide the shame he feels for his interest in "girly" things. As such, his self-image is that he must be a lisping gay caricature hiding in a tough-guy persona.

All of the characters have sort of layers of self-identity to them, and the Shadow is, like the psychological construct it is based upon, only one part.

If you think Kanji's is weird, wait until you see Rise. Rise actually ends up with the most complicated Shadow/Human/Persona relationship of the cast, for some reason, although I won't say anymore out of spoilers.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's easy to miss, because you only meet these characters like a week before their Shadows pop out and then start getting to actually know them months later.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I like the Shadows a lot because it's a representation of a teenager internalizing the ugliest social stereotypes they know of and wondering and fearing if it applies to them: they're more societal perceptions than individual ones and the reason they're rejected is because they fear being perceived as such. The lesson is that it is a part of them and accepting these bits of themselves doesn't turn them into sociopaths or massive gay stereotypes or whatever.

Believe me, it is disturbingly easy to confront your sexuality and go "oh poo poo, does this make me a human being?:gonk: at your lowest point, and the TV world basically forces your lowest perception of yourself onto you.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Also be sure to hang with Kanji because hes the best.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I've been wondering exactly what percentage of the playerbase ended up sticking with MC/Yosuke/Chie/Yukiko as their party for the entire game. I bet it was surprisingly high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vengarr posted:

I've been wondering exactly what percentage of the playerbase ended up sticking with MC/Yosuke/Chie/Yukiko as their party for the entire game. I bet it was surprisingly high.
Iunno, I'd bet most of them swapped out Yosuke. He has a pretty big dead period in the middle of the game.

• Locked thread