Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Alain Post posted:

There's a freaking skeleton surrounded by needles. This is the greatest storytelling in the history of all gaming. Holy crap, the feels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOPlK10Rcdk

What people don't know is that it's the skeleton of a massive fat man who got stuck in the bath and died because he couldn't reach his insulin.

This is why goons relate to it on an unconscious level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

New Total War game.... hurra.... :smithicide:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

*expression darkens while listening to audiolog* Jesus Christ. That explains the skeletons... I think that's enough gaming for tonight.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Keeshhound posted:

I didn't mean that as an endorsement. I think the latest Assassin's Creed and Far Cry installments are a far bigger indictment of Ubisoft's "strategy" of "poo poo out open world games as fast as possible, quality be damned" than anything I could type.

What's wrong with FC4? I hear Unity has had its problems but Far Cry 4 impressions seem to be "more of the same, but better" and for people who like that kind of game I guess that's okay for them.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

What's wrong with FC4? I hear Unity has had its problems but Far Cry 4 impressions seem to be "more of the same, but better" and for people who like that kind of game I guess that's okay for them.

If you are running anything in SLI or have a dual core processor (which you probably shouldn't if you're buying these games anyhow) the game shits itself horribly. Other than that I've noticed stuttering that got much better for me after the 1.5 patch. However, the same patch introduced a memory leak that ubi has at least recognized and stated that they're working on.

FC4 and AC:U are worlds apart in terms of quality; Ubi has a long way to go with it (1 save slot? dumb.) but comparing the two is kinda eh.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Keeshhound posted:

I didn't mean that as an endorsement. I think the latest Assassin's Creed and Far Cry installments are a far bigger indictment of Ubisoft's "strategy" of "poo poo out open world games as fast as possible, quality be damned" than anything I could type.
I think Far Cry 4 is actually the best job Ubisoft has done with their open world formula. The side activities all make good use of the game's core mechanics and this time they went to the effort of applying some context to the missions. There is still a reuse of mission objectives but there's more variety, and there's no pointless minigames. It's much better handled than something like Watch Dogs which used its world mainly as a hub for random activities that often had zero context or connection to the game's main themes.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm soured to Far Cry 4 because it's a game in TYOOL 2014 that doesn't recognize USB devices to the point where I had to get a PS/2 keyboard off a family member as my USB keyboard would not work with the game at all.

The plot is half-assed to the point where it seems like they didn't recognize any of the issues in Far Cry 3 for what they were and just assumed the only problem with it was that Jason Brody was white, which is at the core of the problem but doesn't excuse all the other poo poo. So they've made Ajay a token native and conveniently manage to cover up most of his arm (the only part you see of him) with a tracksuit and leather gloves, just incase people buy it and accidentally see some brown skin.

That aside, they also seem to completely latch on to the most stupid poo poo imaginable to improve while the real things they should focus on seem to be on the periphery. Stealth is poo poo and broken. People complain that the stealth in Far Cry 2 is broken in one way, the stealth in FC4 is broken in the opposite. You can kill a guy with a gunshot to the skull and people will just look around a bit and decide "Maybe it was the gun-shooting bird of Kyrat" and not do anything. No alarms, no nothing.

The guns could be great, but they've decided the best way to 'balance' them is to make the cool guns all signature and severely limit the options for customization on every other gun. So you can't build a cool silenced rifle unless it's of a certain type, or if you buy the signature version, which may have crap on it you don't want.

Only the plus side they now have more animals! This an amazing thing, for sure, as now instead of shooting the lock off a cage to take over an outpost and having a tiger or a cassowary, you can now have a ton of extra model swaps!

It also has actual loving Cliff Racers, but even more annoying, yet this is somehow a good thing.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Ddraig posted:

I'm soured to Far Cry 4 because it's a game in TYOOL 2014 that doesn't recognize USB devices to the point where I had to get a PS/2 keyboard off a family member as my USB keyboard would not work with the game at all.

The plot is half-assed to the point where it seems like they didn't recognize any of the issues in Far Cry 3 for what they were and just assumed the only problem with it was that Jason Brody was white, which is at the core of the problem but doesn't excuse all the other poo poo. So they've made Ajay a token native and conveniently manage to cover up most of his arm (the only part you see of him) with a tracksuit and leather gloves, just incase people buy it and accidentally see some brown skin.

That aside, they also seem to completely latch on to the most stupid poo poo imaginable to improve while the real things they should focus on seem to be on the periphery. Stealth is poo poo and broken. People complain that the stealth in Far Cry 2 is broken in one way, the stealth in FC4 is broken in the opposite. You can kill a guy with a gunshot to the skull and people will just look around a bit and decide "Maybe it was the gun-shooting bird of Kyrat" and not do anything. No alarms, no nothing.

The guns could be great, but they've decided the best way to 'balance' them is to make the cool guns all signature and severely limit the options for customization on every other gun. So you can't build a cool silenced rifle unless it's of a certain type, or if you buy the signature version, which may have crap on it you don't want.

Only the plus side they now have more animals! This an amazing thing, for sure, as now instead of shooting the lock off a cage to take over an outpost and having a tiger or a cassowary, you can now have a ton of extra model swaps!

It also has actual loving Cliff Racers, but even more annoying, yet this is somehow a good thing.

lol

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
No, seriously, they seem to have absolutely no idea how to make compelling characters. Pagan Min is a joke. The first time you ever see him he stabs a guy repeatedly in the throat because he disobeyed an order, which is pretty much the most try hard way to make an 'evil dictator' imaginable, especially given that virtually all of the most vile and deplorable dictators in actual history have had huge cults of personality and it's usually only after they've been deposed that most of their excesses and genocidal behavior come to light.

Even Idi Amin, a guy who allegedly actually loving ate people, was considered at worst a buffoon by Western media and at best a soft spoken man 'as gentle as a lamb' (actual quote from the British newspapers)

Yet despite him murdering people directly infront of you he apparently really wants to be your surrogate father and will send you messages saying that all is forgiven if you come back. The 'I'm a really nice guy, honest, I just have a very difficult job' aspect would have probably worked a lot better if he didn't stab a guy repeatedly in the loving throat right infront of you.

I get a lot of poo poo for criticizing the plot of Far Cry 4, but I wish they would have either have gone completely into absurdity and focused that energy on making the actual game better or put in more research than watching some films and calling it a day.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
This is why I prefer Blood Dragon.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I think you get a lot of poo poo about criticizing Far Cry 4 because you post like it killed your dog or something.

Ddraig posted:

I mean, if you don't like it that's cool, but poo poo like this makes you sound like a dick.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Ddraig posted:

No, seriously, they seem to have absolutely no idea how to make compelling characters. Pagan Min is a joke. The first time you ever see him he stabs a guy repeatedly in the throat because he disobeyed an order, which is pretty much the most try hard way to make an 'evil dictator' imaginable, especially given that virtually all of the most vile and deplorable dictators in actual history have had huge cults of personality and it's usually only after they've been deposed that most of their excesses and genocidal behavior come to light.

Even Idi Amin, a guy who allegedly actually loving ate people, was considered at worst a buffoon by Western media and at best a soft spoken man 'as gentle as a lamb' (actual quote from the British newspapers)

Yet despite him murdering people directly infront of you he apparently really wants to be your surrogate father and will send you messages saying that all is forgiven if you come back. The 'I'm a really nice guy, honest, I just have a very difficult job' aspect would have probably worked a lot better if he didn't stab a guy repeatedly in the loving throat right infront of you.

I get a lot of poo poo for criticizing the plot of Far Cry 4, but I wish they would have either have gone completely into absurdity and focused that energy on making the actual game better or put in more research than watching some films and calling it a day.

That's way more words of critique than a popcorn game like Far Cry 4 really needs. And your analysis of famous dictators is dumb, it doesn't really matter what dictators seem like to "Western media" given the main character's role in FC4 and that he's meeting the dictator himself, not hearing about him on a cable news channel.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Even Hitler didn't kill people directly infront of the people he was trying to impress. Particularly those outside of the loop. The 1936 Summer Olympics didn't feature a ceremonial flogging of the Jews in the opening ceremony.

I mean, I get that they want to make him seem like a terrible person, but there's ways of doing it that don't completely devolve into farce or just being edgy.

What exactly is there to be gained by having Pagan kill a guy right infront of you rather than you discovering that guy being beaten/tortured on your own? It's laughable because the latter thing is actually something that happens, and would have been a great reveal that 'maybe this guy isn't just slightly quirky', if you hadn't seen Pagan stab a guy in the throat with a pen and in the shoulder with a fork.

Also sorry I'm not impressed by the wildlife. Cliff Racers were annoying as gently caress in Morrowind, they're annoying as gently caress in Far Cry 4. A bad idea doesn't stop being a bad idea if it's made fun of.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
brb just lmaoing a little

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Ddraig posted:

Even Hitler didn't kill people directly infront of the people he was trying to impress. Particularly those outside of the loop. The 1936 Summer Olympics didn't feature a ceremonial flogging of the Jews in the opening ceremony.

I mean, I get that they want to make him seem like a terrible person, but there's ways of doing it that don't completely devolve into farce or just being edgy.

What exactly is there to be gained by having Pagan kill a guy right infront of you rather than you discovering that guy being beaten/tortured on your own? It's laughable because the latter thing is actually something that happens, and would have been a great reveal that 'maybe this guy isn't just slightly quirky', if you hadn't seen Pagan stab a guy in the throat with a pen and in the shoulder with a fork.

Also sorry I'm not impressed by the wildlife. Cliff Racers were annoying as gently caress in Morrowind, they're annoying as gently caress in Far Cry 4. A bad idea doesn't stop being a bad idea if it's made fun of.

its insanely cool to have the bad guy slaughter a dude in front of you, thats why

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Davincie posted:

its insanely cool to have the bad guy slaughter a dude in front of you, thats why

Also Troy Baker.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

exquisite tea posted:

The people I'd spoken to on the subject were less positive, but that's neither here nor there, I suppose. Either way though, you're right that Far Cry isn't a great example of the phenomenon I was referring to, since it's had more than one year in between releases. Assassin's Creed, on the other hand has had at least one release every year since 2007. :psyduck:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I am going to hunt elephants with C4 while reading this post on how the wildlife is not interesting

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i dont give a poo poo about whether or not far cry 3 is realistic or sensitive to racial issues or anything, just that its plot was super boring and stupid.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
god drat is this game chat or game dissertation

gently caress all posts longer than 100 words

here: farcry 4 is fun, its got ubisoft jank and it gets boring eventually. its really easy to platinum if you care about that kind of thing. it runs well on consoles, garbage on pcs.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

troy baker's "shooting an elephant," 2014, featuring c4 in service of the ubisoft empire

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Coolguye posted:

I am going to hunt elephants with C4 while reading this post on how the wildlife is not interesting

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i really like ff tactics, are tactics advance and advance 2 worth playing?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Me irl

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Hog Inspector posted:

I didn't like them as much, but they sate your appetite for more tactics games.

Why can't they make a Tactics Maker like RPG Maker? I'd never need to buy another game again!

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
yea they're good as tactics games but they're no where near as good as the og one

there are other tactical rpgs that you could give a swing that you might enjoy. im hard pressed to think of any recent good ones.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Hog Inspector posted:

Yes and no.

Tactics Advance is an okay game until you realize that it's a completely and utterly broken mess. There's a beautiful Let's Play of it featuring all of the many ways to break the game over your knee if you're interested: http://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-Tactics-Advance/

A2 is a lot better and more complete of a game, but still not as good as the original Tactics. I recommend playing it, there's no need to play the first one beforehand as there's little to no relevant story connection.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Davincie posted:

OK, great, but why exactly is Ubisoft presumably hiring guys to make cool as poo poo stuff and yet not punishing them profusely when they make something that isn't cool as poo poo, i.e. virtually all of the plot and story of Far Cry 4 that isn't "Blow these people up"

They WASTED MONEY making a game that has a civil war thread running through it that reads like a C grade teenager's understanding of civil war (these two people are bad, maybe they're as bad as each other, maybe they're even as bad as the bad bad man?) when they could have paid them less money and had it be Jurassic Park with Honey Badgers or spent a little more money on a guy to read over this stuff and make sure it wasn't a complete pile of poo poo. Maybe if they're that hard up for cash they could get some intern to go over it with a red pen.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

The Shortest Path posted:

Yes and no.

Tactics Advance is an okay game until you realize that it's a completely and utterly broken mess. There's a beautiful Let's Play of it featuring all of the many ways to break the game over your knee if you're interested: http://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-Tactics-Advance/

A2 is a lot better and more complete of a game, but still not as good as the original Tactics. I recommend playing it, there's no need to play the first one beforehand as there's little to no relevant story connection.

I enjoy games that can be broken horribly like that but I can see why some people might not.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Ddraig posted:

OK, great, but why exactly is Ubisoft presumably hiring guys to make cool as poo poo stuff and yet not punishing them profusely when they make something that isn't cool as poo poo, i.e. virtually all of the plot and story of Far Cry 4 that isn't "Blow these people up"

They WASTED MONEY making a game that has a civil war thread running through it that reads like a C grade teenager's understanding of civil war (these two people are bad, maybe they're as bad as each other, maybe they're even as bad as the bad bad man?) when they could have paid them less money and had it be Jurassic Park with Honey Badgers or spent a little more money on a guy to read over this stuff and make sure it wasn't a complete pile of poo poo. Maybe if they're that hard up for cash they could get some intern to go over it with a red pen.

i think because youre in the minority. thats why

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I won't pay full price for far cry 4 but I DID buy marlow briggs for $2 and it also has a cartoonishly evil dictator that kills someone in the first 2 minutes so I figure I'm getting pretty much the same gaming experience. Thumbs up for this dumb low-budget god of war clone - what it lacks in polish it makes up for in silliness.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Hog Inspector posted:

I think they're both better than FFT which is massively overrated in general. They're better mainly because battles aren't nightmarishly slow like in the original, but both games also have storylines that aren't taken as seriously which is a good thing in my opinion.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
They could have even made it so that the reason every animal in the country being bloodthirsty killers hellbent on your destruction (even those traditionally thought of to be quite docile and unaggressive if unprovoked) a result of the evil Pagan Min's genetic experimentation. That way they could even tie it back into the original Far Cry and have people cumming themselves at the passing reference.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

Yes and no.

thanks, i enjoy ridiculous/broken games so i'll check them both out

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The only reason I needed to shoot rhinos with a tank busting rocket launcher or an anti-material rifle was that I needed like 5 hides to make a bigger wallet thanks for your deep analysis of fauna norms though

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

Ddraig posted:

unironically agree. if you cant do semi-serious stuff well then why bother, it just looks dumb. either go for it and make a cool serious story game, or just do what you really want to do and make an over the top ridiculous game. it says a lot that blood dragon is still better than either farcry 3 or 4s base games.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
final fantasy tactics advance is a good game because it puts you into the shoes of an elementary school bully that ruins his best friend's dreams by putting him back into a wheelchair for the rest of his life

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

DolphinCop posted:

final fantasy tactics advance is a good game because it puts you into the shoes of an elementary school bully that ruins his best friend's dreams by putting him back into a wheelchair for the rest of his life
there's a mission where you defend a nu mou being beset by zombies, those zombies all have the exact same names as the bullies from the snowball fight intro

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

DolphinCop posted:

I suppose it was only a matter of time before someone dredged this poo poo up to parade it around again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Ddraig posted:

Far Cry in Jurassic Park would be pretty loving sweet. You could make nests the capture points.

• Locked thread