Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
That Smaug interview was incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm actually a bit surprised Colbert chose to sympathetically portray the people saying they're boycotting Exodus. I guess it really did help that Ridley Scott actually did say things that exacerbated whatever controversy the movie had. I'm against whitewashing in Hollywood, but usually I avoid making an example of Biblical period pieces because of the complicated politics of people claiming a racial identity on near-mythical characters; I usually would only pursue arguing that a film is whitewashing if a more obvious case could be made (and there are plenty of examples). Good for Colbert to take a shot at Ridley Scott.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm actually a bit surprised Colbert chose to sympathetically portray the people saying they're boycotting Exodus. I guess it really did help that Ridley Scott actually did say things that exacerbated whatever controversy the movie had. I'm against whitewashing in Hollywood, but usually I avoid making an example of Biblical period pieces because of the complicated politics of people claiming a racial identity on near-mythical characters; I usually would only pursue arguing that a film is whitewashing if a more obvious case could be made (and there are plenty of examples). Good for Colbert to take a shot at Ridley Scott.

Well, this case is pretty bad. I mean, they even changed the Sphinx.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Echo Chamber posted:

I mean both Ridley Scott and Rupert Murdoch have said incredibly ridiculous things about it. I mean Noah had a lot of weirdness about it, but Exodus is just offensive.

Also I rewatched the Smaug interview and I'm 100% positive that Colbert is going to masturbate to that clip every night for a long, long time.

ultramiraculous fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 13, 2014

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That bit should have ended with the technical difficulties screen rather than just a fade to black.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

STAC Goat posted:

There's a weird thing I've noticed lately where if you tune into Fox News during the day you'll hear a lot of the same vile stuff repeated by everyone and none of the actual story of the day or elements that hurt their case mentioned, which is usual. But then if you turn on Smith he'll take a deep breath and say "here's what happened." Then for an hour it almost seems like he's desperately trying to tell the dedicated Fox News viewer what the news is before the assholes at The Five or whatever get back on track.

It's like he's some kind of pow just trying to do what he can. It's odd.

I don't normally watch FOX because, well, I live on the wrong side of the pond and it doesn't normally have the entertainment draw of the Daily Show and such, but I decided to look up what Shep has said because of this post. Its... strange, to see quotes of him talking about how ridiculous that people are actually trying to defend torture, and the lack of willingness to own up and come to terms with it, because then he's with the same company that produced "America is awesome and this report is trying to say we're not awesome!".

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Astro Nut posted:

I don't normally watch FOX because, well, I live on the wrong side of the pond and it doesn't normally have the entertainment draw of the Daily Show and such, but I decided to look up what Shep has said because of this post. Its... strange, to see quotes of him talking about how ridiculous that people are actually trying to defend torture, and the lack of willingness to own up and come to terms with it, because then he's with the same company that produced "America is awesome and this report is trying to say we're not awesome!".

That's always been Shep. Years ago in the thick of the torture debate he screamed out "WE DO NOT loving TORTURE" (in a moral sense, he wasn't in denial) during a live FOX News webcast.

http://youtu.be/IG2VF4a0LWs

The whole thing is a great watch; after his outburst he sulks back, listens to these two idiots debating over something that shouldn't even be an issue, and every time he mutters something his voice drips with contempt. He's always been five minutes away from shooting up out of his news desk and screaming "gently caress YOU, gently caress YOU, gently caress YOU...YOU'RE COOL, AND gently caress YOU, I'M OUT."

Have another classic from the Shepard Smith hit parade:

http://youtu.be/1LmBMIOVMPo

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

DivisionPost posted:

That's always been Shep. Years ago in the thick of the torture debate he screamed out "WE DO NOT loving TORTURE" (in a moral sense, he wasn't in denial) during a live FOX News webcast.

This man is a hero.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DivisionPost posted:

The whole thing is a great watch; after his outburst he sulks back, listens to these two idiots debating over something that shouldn't even be an issue, and every time he mutters something his voice drips with contempt. He's always been five minutes away from shooting up out of his news desk and screaming "gently caress YOU, gently caress YOU, gently caress YOU...YOU'RE COOL, AND gently caress YOU, I'M OUT."

Have another classic from the Shepard Smith hit parade:

http://youtu.be/1LmBMIOVMPo

The only thing that maintains his last shred of sanity at Fox is his undying love for The True Blood.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
This will be Shep on Fox News one of these days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGIY5Vyj4YM

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I have this feeling Shep has some major blackmail and/or some iron clad contract, that states he can say whatever he drat well pleases on his show and to get paid for it.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Despite his occasional glimpses of sanity, Shep still is mostly a mouthpiece, isn't he? It's just when we see the humanity, we make a big deal out of it because it's nonexistent there. But for the most part, doesn't he tend to toe the party line?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I feel like both Daily Show and Colbert have showed clips of Shep saying dumb poo poo. At the very least they made fun of his stupid set.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Steve Vader posted:

Despite his occasional glimpses of sanity, Shep still is mostly a mouthpiece, isn't he? It's just when we see the humanity, we make a big deal out of it because it's nonexistent there. But for the most part, doesn't he tend to toe the party line?

I don't watch him regularly or pretend to have a great familiarity but my take is that he's Republican and I don't like his policies or agree with his politics, but he's human and he doesn't ignore the poo poo or twist it the way the others on Fox News do. It doesn't mean I like his views or agree with him, it just means he doesn't make my skin crawl and he's got some integrity.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

bobkatt013 posted:

This will be Shep on Fox News one of these days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGIY5Vyj4YM

Or maybe this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYcSqIuqkz4

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
That was a great ending to a field piece. "Well, it turns out the Swedish government is failing."

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Dick Cheney is what happens when you combine the Dunning-Kruger effect with a complete psychopath.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Formidable opponent!

:drat: that shot at Papa Bear

Acquilae fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 16, 2014

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Ahahaha gently caress you Bill

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Red tie Colbert's face looks really weird when he faces the camera.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
This final season of Colbert is tying up all the loose plot threads.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
That formidable opponent was one of the best segments he ever did. "The Idea of America" vs "the reality of America" was amazingly stated. That was one for the history books.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
That was oddly poignant. This last week is going to make me laugh and cry. Damnit.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
"C'mon man, no one likes a thirsty rectum."

I don't care if we won't have Colbert after this week; that needs to be the 2015 thread title. :colbert:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

This whole Sony hack situation is so great especially the news about Marvel and Sony with regards towards Spider-man

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

katium posted:

"C'mon man, no one likes a thirsty rectum."

I don't care if we won't have Colbert after this week; that needs to be the 2015 thread title. :colbert:

Maybe "We are perfect as much"

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Seth is so baked

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

achillesforever6 posted:

Seth is so baked

Seth has the greatest life. Like how you and your friends just get high as poo poo and come up with crazy ideas? He gets those ideas turned into movies and makes millions.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Sardonik posted:

That formidable opponent was one of the best segments he ever did. "The Idea of America" vs "the reality of America" was amazingly stated. That was one for the history books.

Yeah. It's like the thesis statement for the entire concept of the show. It's all going to boil back down to truthiness.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Listening to Dick Cheney justify torture makes me want to pull my own skin off.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Listening to Dick Cheney justify torture makes me want to pull my own skin off.

Don't worry, he won't class that as torture!

Good god though, you can see the shadows of the red scare hung over that man like a protective blanket.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

berserker posted:

That was oddly poignant. This last week is going to make me laugh and cry. Damnit.

Between this and both the CBS late shows ending this week, it feels like Late Night Apocalypse. I hope Colbert does well on CBS.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Considering how Sony's executives was briefly in damage control mode for like a news cycle or two, I didn't mind North Korea hacking their emails. I want to see even more. The public should be reminded of the ugly underbelly of show business.

Also, Colbert's O'Reilly burn was amazing.

Also, I'm surprised that Sweden bit made no mention of The Pirate Bay getting shut down.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Echo Chamber posted:

Considering how Sony's executives was briefly in damage control mode for like a news cycle or two, I didn't mind North Korea hacking their emails. I want to see even more. The public should be reminded of the ugly underbelly of show business.

I was happy to find out how many people at Sony hate Adam Sandler as much as I do.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

raditts posted:

Between this and both the CBS late shows ending this week, it feels like Late Night Apocalypse. I hope Colbert does well on CBS.

Letterman isn't ending until May 20. It's just Craig leaving now, and it's amazing the difference between the sentimentality we're seeing from Colbert and the zero fucks given by Craig.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Seth has the most annoying laugh.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Steve Vader posted:

Yeah. It's like the thesis statement for the entire concept of the show. It's all going to boil back down to truthiness.

My interpretation of the bit is that the truthiness Colbert just got debated out of existence by the real Colbert. He destroyed his right-wing caricature.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Typical Pubbie posted:

My interpretation of the bit is that the truthiness Colbert just got debated out of existence by the real Colbert. He destroyed his right-wing caricature.

That might be an interesting way to end the show - a weeklong revelation that "feeling the news at you" is awful and the ability to actually change one's mind as opposed to denying facts with obfuscation to maintain the illusion of your own comfortable opinion is the way to go.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Typical Pubbie posted:

Yea thats what I thought happened too. The colbert that faded out was the character one right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

KoRMaK posted:

Yea thats what I thought happened too. The colbert that faded out was the character one right?

He was the one that only lived in the idea of America yeah, and the other one was the one that laid the sick burn on not getting paid to watch O'Reilly anymore.

• Locked thread