Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
"Humans can't fight Servants" has the same weight as any other rule in the Nasuverse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile
Completely contradicting and/or invalid to the main characters?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Variant_Eris posted:

I would describe it as "only there so somebody can break it" but yeah.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

PunkBoy posted:

drat, these fights keep on being awesome.

Is it all ufotable doing animation for this show? This gif looks remarkably like something Trigger would do.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Is that a bad thing?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
No, it's loving awesome actually, I'm just curious.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Variant_Eris posted:

"Rules are made to be broken."

That is literally Nasu's writing style: he won't introduce a rule unless it gets broken later.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

you could even say he's a rule breaker

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

aren't i clever

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

That, and they're also extremely complicated rules; that's part of the charm.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Variant_Eris posted:

To be fair, that's how stories work. I mean, if a character is beyond the rules in some form, that character is probably going to be at least named in the story, and often become an active character. Essentially, the it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

In any case, I only brought it up because I don't remember that happening at all in Fate/Zero, so it should be something new for that crowd.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Twiddy posted:

In any case, I only brought it up because I don't remember that happening at all in Fate/Zero, so it should be something new for that crowd.

If anything Fate/Zero was pretty much a whole show about rule breaking and how nothing was right, much less the Grail itself even though the premise to new viewers was, "Here's a bunch of people and heroic spirits duking it out battle royale style to get a wish." Straight forward enough and then it all spiraled down from there. :v:

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014
You'd think Saber would have the reaction time or instinct to see what Kuzuki was trying to do before he even moved his arm, but w/e. This is a universe with mages and vampires and all that schiesse so I guess a superpowered shaolin monk isn't out of the question. It just didn't feel right in the context of the story.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Compendium posted:

If anything Fate/Zero was pretty much a whole show about rule breaking and how nothing was right, much less the Grail itself even though the premise to new viewers was, "Here's a bunch of people and heroic spirits duking it out battle royale style to get a wish." Straight forward enough and then it all spiraled down from there. :v:
Oh obviously, it's still a Fate story. Just no humans fought servants.

Kubla Khan posted:

You'd think Saber would have the reaction time or instinct to see what Kuzuki was trying to do before he even moved his arm, but w/e. This is a universe with mages and vampires and all that schiesse so I guess a superpowered shaolin monk isn't out of the question. It just didn't feel right in the context of the story.
I'm pretty sure that had to do with taking a blow to the back of her neck hard enough that it bled. Ow, the spine.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kubla Khan posted:

Iunno why people keep acting like it's a matter of Kuzuki > Saber in some sort of powerlevel ranking. In a fair fight, with both of them knowing the other's abilities and knowing where and when the fight was going to happen, Saber would eat Kuzuki alive and spit him back out, no matter how many scrolls of Power Word: Fortitude Caster had laying around.

It's a combination of surprise and Saber underestimating him, not a matter of her being overpowered or outclassed by him. I don't usually do the power level debate thing but people seem to be doing it themselves, so.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

Endorph posted:

Iunno why people keep acting like it's a matter of Kuzuki > Saber in some sort of powerlevel ranking. In a fair fight, with both of them knowing the other's abilities and knowing where and when the fight was going to happen, Saber would eat Kuzuki alive and spit him back out, no matter how many scrolls of Power Word: Fortitude Caster had laying around.

It's a combination of surprise and Saber underestimating him, not a matter of her being overpowered or outclassed by him. I don't usually do the power level debate thing but people seem to be doing it themselves, so.

I dunno but you'd think inhuman reflexes and instinct mean exactly what you'd think they mean. Anyhow, it felt lame to me, and it is (disclaimer!) a subjective opinion. Or is loving everything Fate a prerequisite to posting?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Magic

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Endorph posted:

I've read threads on about three different forums now in which people are arguing about whether a kung-fu teacher should be able to beat up a knight ghost as if it were a reasonable question with an obvious answer. What is it about this series that brings these tendencies out in people?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Kubla Khan posted:

I dunno but you'd think inhuman reflexes and instinct mean exactly what you'd think they mean. Anyhow, it felt lame to me, and it is (disclaimer!) a subjective opinion. Or is loving everything Fate a prerequisite to posting?

lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kubla Khan posted:

lol

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Kubla Khan posted:

lol

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Kubla Khan posted:

I'll just say that maybe they're only "activated" if Saber herself treats you as an actual threat? This is a running theme throughout the franchise I think.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Given how martial arts assassins work in other anime/manga settings, it wouldn't surprise me if there were some "intent/presence concealment" aspect to Kuzuki's martial arts that messes with Saber's intuition.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I think it's a lot clearer in the VN, but most of Kuzuki's attacks are aimed at disabling Saber. She can sense them, which is why she's able to survive in the first place, but she's just physically unable to react to them. As for why she didn't dodge them early on? Well, she didn't expect Diarmuid to do basically the same thing in Fate/Zero. Even Saber makes mistakes. :colbert:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kubla Khan posted:

Being an incredible bitch seems to be one, as you've proven.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Someone please stitch together a gif or webm of Kuzuki sending all 3 of them flying on Fist International.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'll just say that maybe they're only "activated" if Saber herself treats you as an actual threat? This is a running theme throughout the franchise I think.

Her battle instincts were working, that's how she dodged most of the blows from Kuzuki, for a given value of dodged, turning them into damaging rather than disabling hits. Only problem is that his martial arts style is able to exploit near misses to redirect them, hitting at a different angle. Kuzuki even mentions that Saber's instincts saved her from his really damaging attacks before he brought his fist down on her shoulder. She also underestimated him by a large amount, which didn't help.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

Beef Waifu posted:

Being an incredible bitch seems to be one, as you've proven.

Having an opinion = 'being a bitch'. You have issues. Though I'd rather you dealt with them yourself, I'm afraid.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

jellycat posted:

I think it's a lot clearer in the VN, but most of Kuzuki's attacks are aimed at disabling Saber. She can sense them, which is why she's able to survive in the first place, but she's just physically unable to react to them. As for why she didn't dodge them early on? Well, she didn't expect Diarmuid to do basically the same thing in Fate/Zero. Even Saber makes mistakes. :colbert:

True, tho I guess my point was that it didn't feel like it fit within the story and the overarching idea of servants being unbeatable by humans, not that it didn't make sense logically.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Kubla Khan posted:

Having an opinion = 'being a bitch'. You have issues. Though I'd rather you dealt with them yourself, I'm afraid.

lol

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Kubla Khan posted:

lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kubla Khan posted:

True, tho I guess my point was that it didn't feel like it fit within the story and the overarching idea of servants being unbeatable by humans, not that it didn't make sense logically.
if you think that is the overarching idea then you're going to have Problems

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Kubla Khan posted:

lmao you're such a ビッチ

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
I've always felt it's bizarre that Saber's instincts and luck are sufficient for her to survive Gae Bolg but she still gets knocked around by Kuzuki. The whole 'she underestimated him' thing doesn't really work given her instinct is more like precognition than anything else; I've never seen anything that suggests she has any conscious influence over it. With all that said, the fight ends with Saber regenerating through the damage and forcing Caster and Kuzuki to bail out with her full frontal charge, so I think the notion that humans can't beat servants mostly holds.

Lestaki fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 16, 2014

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
This thread is going to be saturated in power level talk bullcrap by the time second cour rolls around, I know it.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Compendium posted:

This thread is going to be saturated in power level talk bullcrap by the time second cour rolls around, I know it.

Please just lock the thread some days after the last episode of this half airs.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lestaki posted:

I've always felt it's bizarre that Saber's instincts and luck are sufficient for her to survive Gae Bolg but she still gets knocked around by Kuzuki. The whole 'she underestimated him' thing doesn't really work given her instinct is more like precognition than anything else; I've never seen anything that suggests she has any conscious influence over it. With all that said, the fight ends with Saber regenerating through the damage and forcing Caster and Kuzuki to bail out with her full frontal charge, so I think the notion that humans can't beat servants mostly holds.

Gae Bolg was worse but it was one thing, whereas Kuzuki just kept relentless attacking, so it seems fine to me.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Genocyber posted:

Gae Bolg was worse but it was one thing, whereas Kuzuki just kept relentless attacking, so it seems fine to me.

Lancer spent like five minutes hyping up how Gae Bolg was going to kill her. Of course Saber saw it coming.

"You want to have a draw? Because I can you kill you you know. With this huge glowing spear. Man is it glowing hard. It will take your head straight off. Since you're not willing to have a draw. Just saying."

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
It doesn't matter if you see Gae Bolg coming, if you're in range it just kills you. I guess being really lucky works better on Irish death curses than on weird martial arts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Dzhay posted:

I've read threads on about three different forums now in which people are arguing about whether a kung-fu teacher should be able to beat up a knight ghost as if it were a reasonable question with an obvious answer. What is it about this series that brings these tendencies out in people?

Lestaki posted:

GhostStalker posted:

Her battle instincts were working, that's how she dodged most of the blows from Kuzuki, for a given value of dodged, turning them into damaging rather than disabling hits. Only problem is that his martial arts style is able to exploit near misses to redirect them, hitting at a different angle. Kuzuki even mentions that Saber's instincts saved her from his really damaging attacks before he brought his fist down on her shoulder. She also underestimated him by a large amount, which didn't help.

jellycat posted:

Raenir Salazar posted:

• Locked thread