Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I'm going to spend all day reading these really good links because they own and I unironically love that other people sperg out hard about this game so I don't have to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Ok I read that study that says that Determination has zero impact on development and while it seems to check out, the guy also reaches a conclusion that Acceleration has a negative impact on development and that sounds like a whole lot of bunk to me. Would love to see his stats analysed by player position as well because his hypothesis that accel and heading factor into it due to defenders reaching higher PAs (I guess because they have a later peak) seems to check out.

I love these analyses though because you're going in entirely blind trying to make conclusions on stats based on assumptions about all the other stats in the game and it owns

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bogan Krkic posted:

Ok I read that study that says that Determination has zero impact on development and while it seems to check out, the guy also reaches a conclusion that Acceleration has a negative impact on development and that sounds like a whole lot of bunk to me. Would love to see his stats analysed by player position as well because his hypothesis that accel and heading factor into it due to defenders reaching higher PAs (I guess because they have a later peak) seems to check out.

I love these analyses though because you're going in entirely blind trying to make conclusions on stats based on assumptions about all the other stats in the game and it owns

If you read a bit more of the thread on that one, they come to the conclusion that the acceleration thing is because the game weights acceleration very highly for CA/PA purposes, so youth players with high acceleration have less PA points to spend increasing other skills. Once you control for that, apparently acceleration's effect diminishes greatly.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

vyelkin posted:

If you read a bit more of the thread on that one, they come to the conclusion that the acceleration thing is because the game weights acceleration very highly for CA/PA purposes, so youth players with high acceleration have less PA points to spend increasing other skills. Once you control for that, apparently acceleration's effect diminishes greatly.

Oh whoops I actually did read that after making my post. Makes sense, and also explains why I've got so many slow as poo poo technical wizards and alternatively, walcotts, in my youth squads. I couldn't read all of that Ajax thread though, that guy must really fucken love Ajax

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bogan Krkic posted:

Oh whoops I actually did read that after making my post. Makes sense, and also explains why I've got so many slow as poo poo technical wizards and alternatively, walcotts, in my youth squads. I couldn't read all of that Ajax thread though, that guy must really fucken love Ajax

lol yeah I didn't even bother trying to read any of that Ajax thread for real, that is way too in-depth for my nerdy spreadsheet game.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Attribute weighting is really confusing. Having played with the editor a bunch for my mod, I've found that training a centreback to be a competent DM usually lowers the amount of CA used for the same stats. Conversely if I train Gylfi to be any better at Striker (like one point better), it immediately eats up all his remaining PA and he starts dropping attributes like crazy.

very annoying for my cool new system.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

sassassin posted:

Attribute weighting is really confusing. Having played with the editor a bunch for my mod, I've found that training a centreback to be a competent DM usually lowers the amount of CA used for the same stats. Conversely if I train Gylfi to be any better at Striker (like one point better), it immediately eats up all his remaining PA and he starts dropping attributes like crazy.

very annoying for my cool new system.

It's better than it used to be, before like '09 I think, you could train a DC to to be a ST and all their attributes would boost off the charts. It was the only way to get a player with all 20's iirc

Shroud
May 11, 2009
That was only the tip of the Ajax :spergin:. I give you the master:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/380395-Ajax-When-Real-Life-Meets-Football-Manager-FM14

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I can't believe he's written what is essentially the same sperg thread twice ffs

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bogan Krkic posted:

It's better than it used to be, before like '09 I think, you could train a DC to to be a ST and all their attributes would boost off the charts. It was the only way to get a player with all 20's iirc

Yeah it was 09 or 10 or sometime in there. Then they freaked out and overcompensated and in the next version if you tried to do this trick again then all the player's attributes would drop like a rock.

JorahTheExplorer
Oct 23, 2013

You aren't my Alves, Afonso Alves,
you make me sa-aad when sky's are blue,
and Georgie Best, cost fucking less,
so please take my Alves away.
Playing in the Capital One Cup managed to easily beat Walsall , Sunderland , Stoke and Man U and then lost to Newcastle in the semi final. All because one of my players said gently caress it and got a red card a minute into the game.
I didn't even care about winning it but now I'm mad I didn't

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I just had my rear end man tell me that my 19yo centerback was looking tired from playing loads of games and should be rested, so I told the player that I'd rest him for a week, and he was stoked about the idea. Two days later, without there even being a u21s game scheduled let alone a competitive fixture, he's mad at me for breaking my promise and playing him when I said I'd rest him. What the hell

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

My second time through post injury crisis bullshit...

So I won the MLS cup my first year as NYCFC and it was great for everyone ,but the whiny baby David Villa who threw a shitfit his first day in so he got sold to some crappy La Liga team that was relegated the next season (gently caress YOU DAVID VILLA) ,but it was okay because I drafted some hilariously awesome Brazilian striker nicknamed Hulk (dumb so I re-nicknamed him Barbarossa why I dunno), in the super draft who has the potential to be an EPL starter one day. Instead I replaced Villa as a DP with Mix Diskerud and it resulted in a hilariously badass midfield that destroyed the MLS. I also signed some youth L/WB from Bayern Munich as a young DP and a few U21 Man City kids to round things out. Oh I also somehow got Lee Ngyuen from New England for 300K and a pair of draft picks (awesome), anyway here was my lineup, if you know anything about the MLS it is hilariously stacked, the expansion draft is to easy to pickup literally star MLS players.

F: Patrick Mullins, Barbarossa (Awesome Regen), Cam Weaver, (Other lovely regen),Kelechi Iheanacho (Loan from Man city, paid as a reserve player lol)
MF: Frank Lampard, Mix Diskerud, Diego Chara, Lee Ngyuen, Marco Pappa, Dax MCarty, Kyle Bekker, Lamar Neagle, Martin Rivero
D: Yill Sahill( Bayern Munich), Simen Wangberg (Norway Tromso), Bobby Boswell, Ike Opara, Sheanon Williams, Manuel De La Torre, Steve Birnbaum, James Riley, Ashley Smith Brown (Loan man city, always ends up in MLS in FM2014 as a star Wingback around 2018 or so)
GK: Zac McMath, Josh Saunders, (Random Regen Scrub)

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 13, 2014

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
You have a player called Wangberg?

"What? This bad boy? I call it Wangberg. ' cause it could sink you tit anics"

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Masonity posted:

You have a player called Wangberg?

"What? This bad boy? I call it Wangberg. ' cause it could sink you tit anics"

Lmao

My best player names so far are Evariste Ngolobove Kouoh Jean-Black (a longer shirt name than Vennegoor of Hesselink) and a pair of Brazilians called Zidane and Diego Maradona.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Finishing is godawful since the latest patch.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bogan Krkic posted:

Lmao

My best player names so far are Evariste Ngolobove Kouoh Jean-Black (a longer shirt name than Vennegoor of Hesselink) and a pair of Brazilians called Zidane and Diego Maradona.

I always liked the regen defender I saw come through Chelsea's academy who was named Terry John.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
'Off the Ball' is now 'Movement' in the editor after the last patch.

Weird that they changed it considering Leadership is still there and they only just moved Vision from where Creativity was.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Yeah honestly my scouts saw him, he looked decent albiet a little slow and then his name sold me... also the fact he only asked for 90k a year and 1/2 later now he is my best centerback...

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 13, 2014

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I sold a couple of squad players in January to thin out the squad in order to stop everyone complaining about playing time, and now I've got myself an injury crisis and 3 of my back 4 are under 20, and had to hand debuts to a New Zealander CB and a 20yo striker away to Liverpool. Still managed a 4-2 win :getin:

Not looking forward to playing Liverpool 3 times, Chelsea and Man Utd over the next month with 8 first teamers out injured though ffs

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!

Bogan Krkic posted:

hand debuts to a New Zealander

Still managed a 4-2 win :getin:

Yeah and?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

That was meant to mention he was also a shite teenager, like a poor man's Winston Reid. He's already probably New Zealand's second best player due to his ability to not fall down constantly :twisted:

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
All the regens in my game have been rubbish for the first few years, this is the best I can find and I'm not sure he will even be that great

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

angry armadillo posted:

All the regens in my game have been rubbish for the first few years, this is the best I can find and I'm not sure he will even be that great

I'd trade you any 10 of mine for him. 18 Decisions at 18 phwoar.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Yeah that's amazing.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Yeah that's what drew me to him. I think he could be some kind of deep lying playmaker but with low anticipation, positioning and it's touch I think he might lose the ball a lot

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

He's got years to develop those, I'd do positioning first. He's gonna have 20 Decisions at such a young age. 11 Positioning and I'd let him play in the premiership.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
For another alternative, train him to be an Enganche. Then you don't even have to worry about Positioning, Pace, or Dribbling, and can focus on other attributes. Or use him in the middle as an AP.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Won the Supporters Shield & MLS Cup for the second year as NYCFC :getin:

to bad I lost Lampard and three of my good players at the end of the season... but I replaced them with some great Man City U21's on loan for two years. Apparently there is another Dominic Oduro who is 10x better than the original MLS one, Bruno Zuculini, and Ante Couric (Croatian Wonderkid). Then a pair of other decent 2.5 star guys as backups.

I am sad I lost Barbosa motherfucker got 30 goals in his second MLS season, after I switched to a weird demented 2CD-2WB-1DM-2M-1AM-2F my other forward was a midget named Joao Plata who I traded like 150k for and played as a poacher and he managed to net another 15-18 goals (yay)!

At least Barbosa has replaced Jozy Altidore in the USMNT and is now going to La Liga ... I also lost Lee Ngyeun to France, Lampard to fuckoff oldsville (and apparently Vancouver) , Chara to crippling injury and a release, Ylli Sahill to Serie A and probably a few others I dont remember.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

angry armadillo posted:

Hmm I totally never submitted this post hopefully its still relevant. Train up his positioning and maybe dribbling and this guy will be a gun. 18 decisions at 18yo? Brilliant

These are my best regens so far:

I broke my club transfer record to bring in Vitor Romeiro for £22.5 million when he was 18, and imo he's been totally worth it

Bogan Krkic fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 15, 2014

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bogan Krkic posted:

Hmm I totally never submitted this post hopefully its still relevant. Train up his positioning and maybe dribbling and this guy will be a gun. 18 decisions at 18yo? Brilliant

These are my best regens so far:

I broke my club transfer record to bring in Vitor Romeiro for £22.5 million when he was 18, and imo he's been totally worth it

Vitor Romeiro looks like he has a PA around 200, those are insane stats for a 19 year old.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

vyelkin posted:

Vitor Romeiro looks like he has a PA around 200, those are insane stats for a 19 year old.

This made me curious, so I had a peek. He's actually got a PA of 175, while Charlie Perry has a PA of 198. No idea what their CAs are though and I don't really want to find out but I'm sure I'll end up accidentally looking, I knew Perry's because I accidentally found the hidden stats filter in the player search when I was messing around with the official RTE lol

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
What a Dong-Ki

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Noob question: Is there any way to cancel scouting reports that are still "in progress". I selected a poo poo ton of players to scout and I am tired of my inbox blowing up every day. Didn't think of that side effect.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CancerStick posted:

Noob question: Is there any way to cancel scouting reports that are still "in progress". I selected a poo poo ton of players to scout and I am tired of my inbox blowing up every day. Didn't think of that side effect.

Player Search -> Scout Assignments

They should all be there in a big list for you to cancel.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

sassassin posted:

Player Search -> Scout Assignments

They should all be there in a big list for you to cancel.

I don't see this. Maybe not an option in FMC?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CancerStick posted:

I don't see this. Maybe not an option in FMC?

Ah, right. Literally no idea, then.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

I just picked up FM15, and I'm having a problem with the interface. Every time the game starts, it seems to think that the buttons aren't where they're shown to be on the screen. At 1440x900, you have to click above the actual button; at lower resolutions the buttons are below what's shown. Going to settings and changing the resolution, then changing it back seems to work, or switching from windowed to fullscreen and back, but it happens every time the game starts up. I haven't found any reports of this happening elsewhere, so I was wondering if anyone knew what this was about.

Gonna have to go reinstall now (for the second time) because I tried starting the game in a lower resolution to see if it would work, and I'm just unable to use any of the buttons on the opening screen.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Guitar_Hero posted:

I just picked up FM15, and I'm having a problem with the interface. Every time the game starts, it seems to think that the buttons aren't where they're shown to be on the screen. At 1440x900, you have to click above the actual button; at lower resolutions the buttons are below what's shown. Going to settings and changing the resolution, then changing it back seems to work, or switching from windowed to fullscreen and back, but it happens every time the game starts up. I haven't found any reports of this happening elsewhere, so I was wondering if anyone knew what this was about.

Gonna have to go reinstall now (for the second time) because I tried starting the game in a lower resolution to see if it would work, and I'm just unable to use any of the buttons on the opening screen.

That may or may not have something to do with the game-destroying patch they just issued last week. You might check the SI Den of Hopeless Agony and Technical Support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

XBenedict posted:

That may or may not have something to do with the game-destroying patch they just issued last week. You might check the SI Den of Hopeless Agony and Technical Support.

I've stopped playing cause 3d kits don't work any more.

• Locked thread