Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
2 lane highway, exit coming up and there's semis and cars in front of me. Guy behind me decides we're going too slow so he pulled back in the left lane, gunned it, and then had to slow down and forced people to let him merge back over so he could take the exit, slowing EVERYone down behind him. Total butt.

He's probably the type of person that will creep up at red lights even when there's a car in front of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Driving on the highway today and I've noticed more and more people completely forget that their car has a cruise control.

I'm in the middle lane with my cruise set to 65 so that I can continue to pass semis that are using the right lane. Behind me is a guy in a van. I notice his following distance keeps changing. After about 10 ish miles, he accelerates, passes me on the left, then gets in front of me where he continues his inability to maintain a set speed. After he settles in to around 55-60, I make my attempt to pass him, which of course leads to the guy accelerating again and start going faster than me.

I just wanted to reach through his window and shove his face on the cruise control buttons like a dog that pissed the carpet.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Driving on the highway today and I've noticed more and more people completely forget that their car has a cruise control.

I'm in the middle lane with my cruise set to 65 so that I can continue to pass semis that are using the right lane. Behind me is a guy in a van. I notice his following distance keeps changing. After about 10 ish miles, he accelerates, passes me on the left, then gets in front of me where he continues his inability to maintain a set speed. After he settles in to around 55-60, I make my attempt to pass him, which of course leads to the guy accelerating again and start going faster than me.

I just wanted to reach through his window and shove his face on the cruise control buttons like a dog that pissed the carpet.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Depending on what sort of van it was, it's possible he didn't even have cruise control.

Making cruise control convoys with other random drivers is fun. I'm always kinda sad when one of my highway buddies finally takes an exit... :shobon:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

My car doesn't have cruise control because Mazda's vacuum cruise unit doesn't play nice with turbo boost. :saddowns:

(Yes, the Protege had vacuum cruise, and I realized a while back was one of the last cars sold with a mechanical throttle, unless I'm missing something really obvious)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

My car doesn't have cruise control because - cheap car. That said, people who can't maintain speed decently annoy the hell out of me, even without having cruise control myself. I can hold a pretty steady speed without really working at it. It's not really that hard (in most cars).

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

I miss how my Road Runner did cruise control. PO had put in some sort of device where you pull on a choke handle that was linked to the throttle.

Had even the faux wood grain and groovy lettering.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
An A-Class I drove had a speed limiter instead of cruise control, which was nice in that I could set it to 70ish and guarantee I wouldn't get a speeding ticket in the company car but resulted in a few panic moments when I went to nip past somebody and immediately bumped into the limit. :doh:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

jammyozzy posted:

An A-Class I drove had a speed limiter instead of cruise control, which was nice in that I could set it to 70ish and guarantee I wouldn't get a speeding ticket in the company car but resulted in a few panic moments when I went to nip past somebody and immediately bumped into the limit. :doh:
My car has that as well as cruise control, and full throttle will let you override it if you need to without turning it off.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Is that the zoe? How is it as an appliance?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

Is that the zoe? How is it as an appliance?
Absolutely excellent, especially given how most of my normal driving is in my own city, never mind the county. Very happy with it.

Loving the pre-heating system. Come out to leave for work, it's below freezing, but the car's timer has already got the inside at a nice comfortable temperature for me and the windows cleared. Mm, cosy.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

InitialDave posted:

My car has that as well as cruise control, and full throttle will let you override it if you need to without turning it off.

Unfortunately the Merc wasn't that smart, you'd have to flail at the stalk to either turn it off or just bump the speed up a few ticks. Oddly it almost felt like it was riding the brakes rather than limiting the throttle input to keep the speed in check.

*E* Holy poo poo speaking of, the Zoe is pretty crazy cheap. I'd jump on that in a heartbeat if I could afford a 2nd car for long trips.

jammyozzy fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 13, 2014

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

jammyozzy posted:

I'd jump on that in a heartbeat if I could afford a 2nd car for long trips.

Most people just rent an ICE car when they need to drive on a long trip. With the gas savings, you still come out ahead. Car rental is kinda cheap.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

jammyozzy posted:

*E* Holy poo poo speaking of, the Zoe is pretty crazy cheap. I'd jump on that in a heartbeat if I could afford a 2nd car for long trips.
Yeah, it's a little annoying for me, as they've cut the price a lot since I bought mine, but you pays your money and takes your choice, and I neither had a crystal ball to see that they were going to do that, nor did I have a functional DD at the time!

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I'm betting that I'd be the one found at fault but as it almost happened, I have to ask about this scenario: it's 4:45pm and well past sunset, I'm waiting in a left turn lane against moderate oncoming traffic doing 45-50. What I thought was a gap in traffic turned out to be an idiot in a black GMC with no headlights, I got about a quarter through my turn before I saw him and he had to swerve like crazy.

I've heard OBD2 cars save telemetry data after an airbag deployment, do you suppose headlight switch position would be recorded? Would it even matter, since technically I would have infringed on his right of way?

Either way regardless of who is right and wrong, I'm glad I noticed him in time to prevent a totaled car and a stay in the hospital.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

NoWake posted:

I'm betting that I'd be the one found at fault but as it almost happened, I have to ask about this scenario: it's 4:45pm and well past sunset, I'm waiting in a left turn lane against moderate oncoming traffic doing 45-50. What I thought was a gap in traffic turned out to be an idiot in a black GMC with no headlights, I got about a quarter through my turn before I saw him and he had to swerve like crazy.

I've heard OBD2 cars save telemetry data after an airbag deployment, do you suppose headlight switch position would be recorded? Would it even matter, since technically I would have infringed on his right of way?

Either way regardless of who is right and wrong, I'm glad I noticed him in time to prevent a totaled car and a stay in the hospital.

That happened to me once, years ago. Making a left turn at a really dark intersection, and I never even saw the guy with no lights at all; I was about halfway through my turn when suddenly the side of a speeding car flashed through my headlight beams less than a few feet in front of me. Scared the poo poo out of me; that was the closest I've ever been to being in a major accident.

I don't think there's a clear-cut answer for who would be at fault, though if there was evidence that his headlights were not on, like a dashcam recording, OBDII data, a witness, or some sort of physical crash investigation evidence (apparently broken incandescent headlight bulb filament damage looks different depending on whether the bulb was lit or not at the time it broke), it would probably make your hypothetical insurance case stronger. Assuming the fact of his headlights being off was established, he would probably share at least some of the liability for the accident. Most likely it would end up being a long drawn-out fight between your insurance companies over liability. You would probably end up with a citation for failure to yield at the scene; it's unlikely the cop would cite the guy with no lights unless he admitted it or there was video evidence or witnesses, since it would be your word against his otherwise.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I stopped following the dashcam thread a few months ago, but I think it's high time to dip back into it. My family has been bugging me for gift ideas and I can never think of a thing I desperately want or need.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

NoWake posted:

I stopped following the dashcam thread a few months ago, but I think it's high time to dip back into it. My family has been bugging me for gift ideas and I can never think of a thing I desperately want or need.

Seriously, there's no reason not to have a dashcam these days when you can get a perfectly serviceable one like a G1W for about fifty bucks. It's basically a really cheap insurance policy; you may never actually need it, but if you ever do, you'll be drat glad you had it. (Not to mention the entertainment value of capturing morons on video... :v: )

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

dennyk posted:

That happened to me once, years ago. Making a left turn at a really dark intersection, and I never even saw the guy with no lights at all; I was about halfway through my turn when suddenly the side of a speeding car flashed through my headlight beams less than a few feet in front of me. Scared the poo poo out of me; that was the closest I've ever been to being in a major accident.

This is why I think DRLs are a pretty good idea. Are they headlights? No, but it makes sure that you're at least somewhat visible to other vehicles if/when you gently caress up and forget to turn your lights on. Or just in general. There's been a few times I've nearly started to overtake onto incoming traffic, only to notice that there is indeed a tiny grey car with no lights on flitting in and out of shadows on the other side.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
This misty Sunday morning, I come up towards a grey car with no lights on. I flash my brights and he turns them on :unsmith:

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Incident 1) I had the joy of watching an Audi SUV cause a three car accident. Audi was in the left lane of a two lane highway and had to switch to the crowded right lane right loving now to take their exit, instead of doing the sensible thing and exiting at the next street a mile down and making a u-turn or taking surface streets, the Audi decided to just park in the left lane with their signal on. A Civic managed to stop before hitting the Audi, but another SUV decided to play bumper cars and launched the Civic completely off the highway into a wire divider in the ditch. Naturally, the Audi survived all this with no damage, and the right lane came to a full stop allowing the Audi to proceed on as if nothing happened.

Incident 2) I came extremely close to almost hitting a car full head on, I was driving down my street at dusk, and the area was lined with parked cars. Turns out one of these parked cars decided to leave every single light off on their vehicle and pull into the main road right as I was about to pass. I had no indication the drat vehicle was moving until the suicidal driver honked at me.

Incident 3) I learned that remote start at a mall parking lot around Christmas is magical. I came back to my car to see a pickup waiting for my spot since he saw the car light up and running, the driver had his window rolled down and yelled as I got in my car. Maybe I should feel bad, but I don't.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

dennyk posted:

Seriously, there's no reason not to have a dashcam these days when you can get a perfectly serviceable one like a G1W for about fifty bucks. It's basically a really cheap insurance policy; you may never actually need it, but if you ever do, you'll be drat glad you had it. (Not to mention the entertainment value of capturing morons on video... :v: )

Agree 100%.

Once I got over the novelty of playing with it for a first few months, it just sits there, behind my mirror. I only am aware of it when the cable falls down (because I am too lazy to properly install it).

But one day, if I am unlucky and have an incident, I will be extremely grateful that I spent the money - a friend of mine, an excellent driver, was clobbered by someone who admitted they were obviously at fault. Come the time for the insurance claim and they had magically found half a dozen witnesses who swore blind that they weren't at fault.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Crotch Fruit posted:

Incident 3) I learned that remote start at a mall parking lot around Christmas is magical. I came back to my car to see a pickup waiting for my spot since he saw the car light up and running, the driver had his window rolled down and yelled as I got in my car. Maybe I should feel bad, but I don't.
If people can't figure out they're wasting more time by waiting for empty spots instead of parking farther out, it's their own damned fault. Doubly so if they're one of those people who circles around until they get a close spot. :colbert:

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Haifisch posted:

If people can't figure out they're wasting more time by waiting for empty spots instead of parking farther out, it's their own damned fault. Doubly so if they're one of those people who circles around until they get a close spot. :colbert:

This happened to me a couple of days ago. The second I got into my car, I had 4 cars in 3 directions competing for the parking space that I was about to vacate. I had to wait for one of them to move so I could, you know, actually leave the parking space.

Funny thing was that there were a ton of open spaces just a little bit further from mine.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
The look of rage I got the other day when I (quite honestly) walked up the wrong row of the car park, thus denying the idiot that was creeping along behind me my space is seared into my brain. People get loving scary around Christmas. :stare:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

jammyozzy posted:

The look of rage I got the other day when I (quite honestly) walked up the wrong row of the car park, thus denying the idiot that was creeping along behind me my space is seared into my brain. People get loving scary around Christmas. :stare:

Some people just get really pissy over parking spots, because if they don't get that spot close to the door, they would have to actually *walk*!

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

Some people just get really pissy over parking spots, because if they don't get that spot close to the door, they would have to actually *walk*!

To be fair, if you go to a mall around here on the weekends this time of the year, stalking people is often the only way to get a space. It's not that all the close spaces are taken, ALL the spaces are taken. Dozens of cars are stooping over every outward bound pedestrian like swarms of buzzards.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

jammyozzy posted:

When I commuted my last year in college I would always try to avoid people driving around the lot when going to my car so I wouldn't be followed by them. Most of the time I was just going to get a book or a bottle of water. Parking at my school was awful because they accepted people faster than they could properly deal with them and added new buildings where parking lots used to be.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I need to park within 3 spots of the entrance or the demons will get me maaaaaa!

This is the situation at my nearest grocery store:

White lines and arrows were added because people are stupid, the four nearest spots marked in black are handicapped spots, not that you'd ever see something with a handicapped person pull in, much less a handicap sign, the black stretch along the building is a little pedestrian passage that many bicyclists here just have to roll around on.

The red spots are where not even the post vans are allowed to park to do their business, but normal people park there and make it a single lane disaster with all the people who just have to get one of the closest spots available. Normal self-important assholes who can't help but walk a few meters extra like my limping backpained self and my equally crippled mother, or my miraculously still alive after everything father do, we walk extra on purpose, we know it's good for us.

If I had to dump a car I'd do it right there during christmas rush hour locking some rear end in a top hat in.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 15, 2014

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

To be fair, if you go to a mall around here on the weekends this time of the year, stalking people is often the only way to get a space. It's not that all the close spaces are taken, ALL the spaces are taken. Dozens of cars are stooping over every outward bound pedestrian like swarms of buzzards.

If I'm feeling bored I know what I can do to enhance that christmas spirit - I'll go to the mall (by bus), buy one thing and walk around the parking lot, carrying my shopping bag, looking like I'm headed to my car. Just endlessly trolling vehicular stalkers.

Also fun is to put your stuff in your car then walk back towards the mall. Hey, I was just dropping off these things, they're heavy man, I'm going back in for more!

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

If I'm feeling bored I know what I can do to enhance that christmas spirit - I'll go to the mall (by bus), buy one thing and walk around the parking lot, carrying my shopping bag, looking like I'm headed to my car. Just endlessly trolling vehicular stalkers.

Also fun is to put your stuff in your car then walk back towards the mall. Hey, I was just dropping off these things, they're heavy man, I'm going back in for more!

Wear body armor and film people's reaction.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

Years ago my wife and I made a game of this. Despite Arizona's rather lax gun control laws, neither of us were filled with lead. However, it only really worked well when dealing with malls that had massively insufficient parking; ever since the recession the lots at the malls we go to these days rarely get over 50% full, even during the holidays.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

IOwnCalculus posted:

Years ago my wife and I made a game of this. Despite Arizona's rather lax gun control laws, neither of us were filled with lead. However, it only really worked well when dealing with malls that had massively insufficient parking; ever since the recession the lots at the malls we go to these days rarely get over 50% full, even during the holidays.

I feel like some of the malls around me rarely get over 50% leased out on the inside.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

davebo posted:

I feel like some of the malls around me rarely get over 50% leased out on the inside.

Seems like you live in a fairly sprawled place. Around any major metro area these days malls are pretty full, both on the inside and in terms of shoppers.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Last year I almost ran over a kid who was sitting in a parking spot during the Christmas shopping madness. You could not see the kid until you started to pull in. Turns out this is a new thing to do: drop kids off at a parking lot, have them walk around and find a close spot that's open and hold it for mom or dad as they drive around for it.

So goddamn dangerous and I wouldn't be surprised if it catches on even more.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Finally an honest reason to own a lifted truck :v:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Ringo Star Get posted:

So goddamn dangerous and I wouldn't be surprised if it catches on even more.
Ah poo poo I can see the entire sequence playing out. First this spreads, and next year every mall parking lot is full of kids squatting in spots while mom & dad push bumpers against some other mom & dad.
Then, a bunch of kids get squished and the media has a field day. "But where were the parents?!" calls get drowned out by "My precious traffic cone!".
Mandatory child-safety equipment for new vehicles is mandated, including ridiculous non-functional devices designed (by clowns) to prevent these kinds of deaths. Unintended consequences include a rise in child-on-child violence as children fight each other for precious, precious parking spaces.

I'm never having kids, and I'm going to avoid malls as much as I can.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

And then you can just open some cheap place that teaches kids how to defend the parking space without having to leave it and make all the money!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Just saw someone come to a complete stop on a 40 mph road during lunch hour traffic because they wanted to be in the other lane. But they couldn't get into the other lane because it's lunch time and there were too many cars driving past at 40 mph. They're lucky the school bus directly behind them didn't just plow them off the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Last night:
idiot comes up the entrance ramp at the speed of slow, slamming on the brakes for every corner. I realized this early on and was at a healthy distance so I would have room to accelerate, assuming they will also forget that merging involves a throttle. I was right, but not right enough, it turns out they also thought the single set of headlights coming toward them (in the middle lane, and a few hundred feet back) was reason to COME TO A COMPLETE loving HALT at the end of the ramp. Horns were used, no collision (not even close), managed to get get up to speed and not get pancaked by an oncoming truck anyways.

Second idiot: prius in the left lane with a dead headlamp and a lot of whiskey dents, doing 50 in a 65 where everyone does 75. Ignores bro-truck tailgating the poo poo out of it and flashing high beams, ignores me passing on the right and honking, ignores bro truck flying by on the right while honking. Was still in the left lane doing 50 with another few people stuck behind them when last spotted.

This morning: I come off an entrance ramp, merge cleanly into the right lane, the person directly in front of me wanders over to the right like they're about to get off at the exit ramp, slows down till they are next to me, then without warning comes flying back over and nearly sideswipes me. No mirror usage, no looking out the side window, no directional, just... HERE I COME! :supaburn:

How do these people not get killed?