Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

CJacobs posted:

"Wait a minute.... Awwwwww gently caress." *realises I have to record, edit, upload, and post 6 La Mulana episodes by tomorrow instead of playing video games for fun or else I won't get to eat this month* "Darn. Maybe I'll play video games for fun on my own time and not somebody else's next month when I have a clear schedule or something."

Then someone decides you're not worthy of it, sets a clickbot on you, you get kicked out of AdSense and now you're not allowed to make money on Let's Play.

(see: VoidBurger)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

CJacobs posted:

*yaaaawwwwnnnn* *smacks lips* "Well time to greet the morning!" *literally springs out of bed and makes a pleased, heroic pose while smiling and nodding to myself*

"Wait a minute.... Awwwwww gently caress." *realises I have to record, edit, upload, and post 6 La Mulana episodes by tomorrow instead of playing video games for fun or else I won't get to eat this month* "Darn. Maybe I'll play video games for fun on my own time and not somebody else's next month when I have a clear schedule or something."

CJacobs posted:

-excerpt from A Day in the life of DarksydePhil, 2014

Well, you were close.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I just want to say I'm glad my second post of that joke didn't end up at the top of this page because then it would not have worked and I would have made the blunder of the century.

I guess what I am trying to say is, I think that video games are for fun and if you take the fun out of it by making it into a business, then you're only taking enjoyment of it away from yourself. I'm sure there are ways to have fun doing it but also do it for a permanent living but who can say whether it's worth that hassle or not?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

slowbeef posted:

Then someone decides you're not worthy of it, sets a clickbot on you, you get kicked out of AdSense and now you're not allowed to make money on Let's Play.

Holy poo poo seriously? Did someone do that?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Danaru posted:

Holy poo poo seriously? Did someone do that?

Yeah, it happened a month or so ago, it sucked.

https://twitter.com/voidburger/status/530247418236121088
https://twitter.com/voidburger/status/530248376227753984

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CJacobs posted:

I just want to say I'm glad my second post of that joke didn't end up at the top of this page because then it would not have worked and I would have made the blunder of the century.

I guess what I am trying to say is, I think that video games are for fun and if you take the fun out of it by making it into a business, then you're only taking enjoyment of it away from yourself. I'm sure there are ways to have fun doing it but also do it for a permanent living but who can say whether it's worth that hassle or not?

Some people don't like sitting at a desk for 8 hours of the day with a racist baby boomer looking over their shoulder and drawling about how "I'M THE CEO" whenever they think that someone isn't kowtowing to their demands. Or they'd rather make their minimum wage paycheck doing something more engaging and entertaining than being yelled at by middle aged women with the "Can I speak to a manager?" haircut and being treated as a disposable resource.

I just find it distasteful to ever suggest that someone shouldn't be able to make money doing what they want to do. If they can find a market for it and they're not breaking any laws, who are we to criticize them? What even determines what a "real" job is anyway?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

chitoryu12 posted:

Some people don't like sitting at a desk for 8 hours of the day with a racist baby boomer looking over their shoulder and drawling about how "I'M THE CEO" whenever they think that someone isn't kowtowing to their demands.

Isn't this what a professional LPer is except the racist baby boomer is a racist 13 year old in the comments section?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I mean it's not like I'm saying you shouldn't do it or that people shouldn't be able to do it, it's a free world people can do whatever the hell they want, I'm just trying to justify my reasons for not wanting to do it because it seems like I'm in the minority in this discussion.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
I would argue that recording videos of playing games just for people to watch you play a game, followed by scraping together money from ads for the people who watched your video, is not a job.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

slowbeef posted:

I don't know a whole lot about monitizing videos but why is getting cut off from AdSense the death knell it is? I know they have lovely, nonexistent customer service so reinstating your account is a fool's errand but couldn't you sign on to a different service? Or are they like literally the only racket in town? Please Slowteach me about the ad revenue game.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

CJacobs posted:

I mean it's not like I'm saying you shouldn't do it or that people shouldn't be able to do it, it's a free world people can do whatever the hell they want, I'm just trying to justify my reasons for not wanting to do it because it seems like I'm in the minority in this discussion.

You're not, but I just don't where the conversation can go from here.

Maybe it's a job. Maybe it isn't. I don't know. This kinda thing just tends to reduce to "this is what I think a fulfilling life is" and it's different for everyone so...

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Cheez posted:

I would argue that recording videos of playing games just for people to watch you play a game, followed by scraping together money from ads for the people who watched your video, is not a job.

Okay.
Except it is a means by which people can make money and in some cases live comfortably off, so that doesn't really matter.
edit: don't want to start poo poo, may or may not be a job, but functions in the same way essentially

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

slowbeef posted:

Maybe it's a job. Maybe it isn't. I don't know. This kinda thing just tends to reduce to "this is what I think a fulfilling life is" and it's different for everyone so...

That is true.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

dijon du jour posted:

I don't know a whole lot about monitizing videos but why is getting cut off from AdSense the death knell it is? I know they have lovely, nonexistent customer service so reinstating your account is a fool's errand but couldn't you sign on to a different service? Or are they like literally the only racket in town? Please Slowteach me about the ad revenue game.

I'm really not an ad revenue expert but yeah, if you want to run ads on YouTube, it's AdSense or you don't get ads. And if your AdSense isn't enabled, you can't get an MCN to partner you. It's also really hard to get people to watch non-YouTube videos even though the ad payout is actually among the lowest, so I've read.

Also as VB can tell you, good loving luck getting it reinstated.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
If people didn't want to get paid/sustain themselves with a decent wage for a talent they possess that entertains others, then we wouldn't have as many comedians, actors, writers, artists, sports players, etc. as we do today.

Like it or not, but commentated videos of games being played BY the commentators has become a way for people to make money. I like playing video games but I don't see myself making money off it, but I'm not going to stop watching videos of OTHERS playing games. It doesn't hurt me that they are profiting off it. Arguing against it just seems to me like questioning and hating those who make certain harmless life decisions that you wouldn't for one reason or the other. Making it revolve around video games also doesn't do anything since, well, you can simply also say "well, I like writing, but those PUBLISHED AUTHORS who release novels shouldn't be paid for their writings because I don't like seeing a hobby I enjoy being used to get someone money!"

Entertainment is always going to be an industry, and there will always be something for everyone. I don't like that pewdiepie, a man who has somehow nearly perfected the formula for earning as much as possible as he can from that medium, is making as much as he is, but that is just my opinion towards someone who I have witnessed screaming "RAPE" at really inappropriate times. I also don't like Adam Sandler, an actor who has done the same thing with movies recently, but that is just my opinion towards someone who decided to make a comedy based on statutory rape. But I do like other Let's Players and other actors, and so I try to support them as much as I can when I can.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Well yeah, there are professional comedians and people who like to make jokes. This just seems like another version of that really. I get the angle that because you are essentially recording somebody else's content that people may not consider it fulfilling, I personally do not want to go into LP, but there are some people who do and can make that work for them.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

aerion111 posted:

Why not?
Mostly because it'd probably be more work (forget 9-to-5, you're competing with people who spend most of their day on this stuff) for less pay (Sure, some people make tons of money, but for the most part you'll have just barely enough to rent a basement somewhere and live on dried noddles like some poor college student)

There are a lot of hobbies you can live off of - heck, unless you've got Dysgraphia (which may or may not be a thing that is real. That argument's not very relevant) I've been told that you can eventually learn to draw.
So, you don't want to do an office-job?
Learn to draw, ideally the high-definition computerized stuff, and start doing 'commissions'.
I rarely see (fulltime 'this is my job') commission-based artists with hourly wages under 10$, which seems to be a good margin over minimum wage, and the good ones can earn twice that if they push themselves.
With a backlog and a predictable procedure for drawing, that's essentially 'reliable income' - even if you go through a 'dry spell', you can just work on catching up on the backlog.
But that means 10-to-14-hour days for the pay worthy of a retail-clerk, and you don't get to choose what you draw (or at least, you don't get to choose everything about it)

Some people are simply too greedy or lazy to settle for 'earning a living with their hobby'

I mean, those are all valid points, but you're missing the basic idea behind what I said. I'm not asking for career advice. I'm not giving anyone career advice. I also know most people working freelance (which is what fits most "paid-hobby" jobs) work their rear end off for not-amazing pay. Hell, I'm fresh out of college and that's basically my reality right now. My point is, most people doing LPs for a living - not as a complimentary means of income, which, by the way, is also legit in my eyes - dropped their "real" jobs after making enough money out of their videos to sustain their lifestyles, or at least I'd hope so. Same thing with webcomic artists, "content creators", etc. So if you can do that and you already got some idea of how much work it would entail, why not?

Cheez posted:

If you get paid for it, it's a job. I mean, people get paid to tell jokes in front of a crowd, or do basic Windows troubleshooting, so...

CJacobs posted:

Nah, I can see why you wouldn't. Aerion111 also gave tons of reasons why you wouldn't (or perhaps shouldn't). Hell, regarding videogames, I don't think I would either. But it's not a dumb statement if you do have that mindset.

slowbeef posted:

Yeah, basically that. I didn't really wanna get into that specific argument, just demonstrate that it all depends on your mindset - "this is what I think a fulfilling life is" hits the nail right on the head. So I'll drop this conversation right now.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
I'm going to give all of you the greatest professional advice in the history of mankind: don't count other people's money.

Also, don't go making phoney calls.

judge reinhold fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 15, 2014

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

judge reinhold posted:

I'm going to give all of you the greatest professional advice in the history of mankind: don't count other people's money.

Hey, if someone wants to go into accounting, let them.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Dias posted:

If you get paid for it, it's a job.

Professional hobos, bumming change and singing songs.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

Isn't this what a professional LPer is except the racist baby boomer is a racist 13 year old in the comments section?

Not really? You can't just put your hand on your boss's face when he starts talking and start shoving him toward the door.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!

aerion111 posted:

Why not?
Mostly because it'd probably be more work (forget 9-to-5, you're competing with people who spend most of their day on this stuff) for less pay (Sure, some people make tons of money, but for the most part you'll have just barely enough to rent a basement somewhere and live on dried noddles like some poor college student)

There are a lot of hobbies you can live off of - heck, unless you've got Dysgraphia (which may or may not be a thing that is real. That argument's not very relevant) I've been told that you can eventually learn to draw.
So, you don't want to do an office-job?
Learn to draw, ideally the high-definition computerized stuff, and start doing 'commissions'.
I rarely see (fulltime 'this is my job') commission-based artists with hourly wages under 10$, which seems to be a good margin over minimum wage, and the good ones can earn twice that if they push themselves.
With a backlog and a predictable procedure for drawing, that's essentially 'reliable income' - even if you go through a 'dry spell', you can just work on catching up on the backlog.
But that means 10-to-14-hour days for the pay worthy of a retail-clerk, and you don't get to choose what you draw (or at least, you don't get to choose everything about it)

Some people are simply too greedy or lazy to settle for 'earning a living with their hobby'

doing drawing or music or whatever else for a living is not more reliable or easier to break into or anything else than LPing in any form. at least LPs are ad based revenue so you don't get people constantly advertising "jobs" expecting you to work for "exposure"

steinrokkan posted:

"If you don't want to spend your life playing video games, you hate yourself." - Iggy Igsen, tyool 2014

Anyway, my problem isn't in it being / not being fun, but in parasiting on somebody else's work. But this isn't the blasting zone and I don't want to get banned, so I guess just read the BZ archived thread for exhaustive converage of this incisive social issue.

yeah but so is djing yet people enjoy what DJs add to the experience of music listening and so their work is justified

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Hey is someone playing metal wolf chaos in here?

e: False alarm, the eagle landing on my windowsill carrying an american flag must have been about something else, like 9/11 2.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!

Cheez posted:

well you would be wrong, it's completing an activity for monetary gain. it's a job.

it takes effort and entertains people, and if they are good enough it entertains enough people that it makes them money. welcome to the entertainment industry.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Cheez posted:

Professional hobos, bumming change and singing songs.

Not all jobs result in a living wage. If the system worked and you could live off of the many, many shithole jobs out there then you might have a point.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Not all jobs result in a living wage. If the system worked and you could live off of the many, many shithole jobs out there then you might have a point.

You missed the point entirely. If everything that pays is a job, then so is that.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!

Cheez posted:

You missed the point entirely. If everything that pays is a job, then so is that.

where do you put mashup/remix artists, DJs, MST3K, people who sample music to make other music etc on your imaginary "is this a job or not" line?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Stux posted:

doing drawing or music or whatever else for a living is not more reliable or easier to break into or anything else than LPing in any form. at least LPs are ad based revenue so you don't get people constantly advertising "jobs" expecting you to work for "exposure"

That's actually the best argument for monetized LP I've seen so far.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Cheez posted:

So then busking is not a job and people cannot make a living wage by entertaining people on the street?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

So then busking is not a job and people cannot make a living wage by entertaining people on the street?

In many jurisdictions (dunno about the USA, speaking from the EU point of view) it would be considered panhandling and illegal or at least a misdemeanor, so quite likely the answer is "No, it's not."

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Can't we all just agree that if you can make money off of LP, there's nothing wrong with it, and if that sum of money is enough to actually live off of, then more power to you? Who gives a gently caress if it's a hobby or a job or a pastime, or whatever you want to call it. On the same note, it's not stable, no benefits, no retirement etc. etc. So unless you're actually making a LOT higher than minimum wage at it (enough to pay for all that extra poo poo, such as healthcare, setting some aside for when you retire blah blah blah), then you're pretty much setting yourself up for some bad times. Not to mention, "retirement" will never enter the picture, because this is an entertainment FAD, it will pass long before retirement time comes along. So once again, putting all your eggs into the LP basket, without at least an income upwards of 6 figures, is a pretty bad thing to do long term. But whatever.

Dias posted:

What he actually said was "if you could make money by doing something you considered a hobby, wouldn't you?".

I mean, you might get sick of it and end up hating your hobby, but I'd sure as hell would like to get paid to play videogames/do music/write inane stuff on the internet instead of working a 9-to-5 writing reports at an office. If I could give it an honest try, why not?

Hey, no doubt, if I could actually get paid decent money for this hobby or whatever you call it, then I'd be all for it. But that all comes down to personal choice. What the person considers fun/what they want to do etc. I LP for fun, I do it in a way that I find fun for myself. It just so happens that that way is not the popular way to do it, and therefore I will never make it big. Now I could change up, start doing all the popular trends, and no doubt, get a sizeable following, anybody could. The kicker, is that it would no longer be fun for me, and therefore is not worth it, when I already have another job, as well as another far more RELIABLE career path. So it stays a hobby. It all boils down to what the individual is willing to do.

Now, depending on WHAT you do, such as 10 mid-roll ads on a 8 minute Minecraft video, people will undoubtedly call you an rear end in a top hat and other such things, and will probably be very well right about it. But if it works, and it's what you want to do, then gently caress it, go for it.

slowbeef posted:

Also yes, AdSense and Google, if you're not one of the fairly big players, is a horrible thing. I did the AdSense thing a couple months ago, and the same thing happened relatively quickly. Disabled for weird click activity. Emailed google, they said to file an appeal, I did so, offered whatever info I could to show that it wasn't me, nor did I have any knowledge of it, and it still was denied. The beauty of that is, once the appeal is denied, then it's complete game over. They won't hear ANYTHING else on the matter, and your AdSense is perma-disabled. What's a little wonky, is that it doesn't matter if it wasn't you, or just some rear end in a top hat you don't even know clicking your videos over and over. Google cares not, BUT, along the same lines, all that is in their little policy that you agree to. So while, yes, it's bullshit that you can be permanently blocked from AdSense (for something you didn't even do), you knew that was a possibility (legally), when you signed up for it, so there's really no room to argue on it.

BMS fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 16, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

BMS posted:

So while, yes, it's bullshit that you can be permanently blocked from AdSense (for something you didn't even do), you knew that was a possibility (legally), when you signed up for it, so there's really no room to argue on it.

You can argue that it shouldn't be that way.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

CJacobs posted:

You can argue that it shouldn't be that way.

I meant with Google, disabling your account...haha. Hell, I'd argue that it shouldn't be that way. But as of right now it is, and if they disable your account, you can't argue with them over the disabling.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh, well yeah that too.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

CJacobs posted:

-excerpt from A Day in the life of DarksydePhil, 2014

Late to the party but...
I heard he retired? Read somewhere that he's finishing his current games then moving to Seattle for work or something?
Honestly that's probably for the best.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

HGH posted:

Late to the party but...
I heard he retired? Read somewhere that he's finishing his current games then moving to Seattle for work or something?

I hope this isn't true. What will I do without "This is how you don't play..." videos. :(

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!

steinrokkan posted:

In many jurisdictions (dunno about the USA, speaking from the EU point of view) it would be considered panhandling and illegal or at least a misdemeanor, so quite likely the answer is "No, it's not."

In the UK at least you register and get licensed to be a busker :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

HGH posted:

Late to the party but...

If by "work" you mean continuing exactly where he did from Connecticut, then you'd be exactly right.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

HGH posted:

Late to the party but...

I don't believe so. He's already moved to Washington (bye, neighbor :(), which was just another in a long list of dumb things he's done. What do you do when you're barely making ends meet? Move across the country, lose contact with family and friends, and become house poor!

The latest I've heard is that it turns out he was streaming at a much higher quality than Twitch allows, threw a tantrum when asked to comply, and packed up to start streaming on YouTube. Everything you might expect to happen as a result of this, did happen. What may or may not be related to this, though, is that his girlfriend deleted his twitch account, and his was removed from his own website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Jamesman posted:

The latest I've heard is that it turns out he(DSP) was streaming at a much higher quality than Twitch allows

.....Considering the subject matter is DSP, I have to ask if you meant this sarcastically. Or was DSP's camcorder/Wah-Wah commentary actually too much for Twitch to handle?

• Locked thread