Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I'm at 82% cleared and haven't had a performance problem in over 2 weeks. Uplay, initiates, the companion app have all been fine as have framerates on ps4.

The game started out pretty bad, although always felt a bit overstated to me, but now it's just fine. A little boring, sure, but completely playable with enjoyable moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Daily Forecast posted:

Reminds me of the Zelda cycle. Whatever the current one is is universally panned for being the biggest poo poo ever but then when the next one comes out, suddenly that game is fantastic. I remember a lot of hate for Black Flag, but now apparently it's golden. Once Victory comes out, people will whine about how much better Unity was because they won't remember the rocky release by then. Videogames!
Not really, Black Flag was pretty much loved after the disappointment of ACIII. When Ubisoft fixes the technical side of AC:U people will turn around but until then it's a fiasco of AC II's launch proportions.

Everybody will swear by ACII now not remembering the utter clusterfuck of the initial always-online DRM that made the game unplayable for a huge amount of people. I hope AC:U gets through a similar curve.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Palpek posted:

Not really, Black Flag was pretty much loved after the disappointment of ACIII. When Ubisoft fixes the technical side of AC:U people will turn around but until then it's a fiasco of AC II's launch proportions.

Everybody will swear by ACII now not remembering the utter clusterfuck of the initial always-online DRM that made the game unplayable for a huge amount of people. I hope AC:U gets through a similar curve.

Most of the technical issues seem to be resolved or are close to being resolved. Initiates and the app appear to be functioning properly.

I think the only main thing that I haven't seen in the game yet are the club competitions (although they've started to run community events as well, so that's probably going to start showing up soon.)

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

So we're at the stage in an AC game's life where it basically works and is pretty fun but isn't mind-blowingly good? Sounds like it's about time to pick it up then!

Also if you bought it on day one then what were you thinking anyway

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Prop Wash posted:

So we're at the stage in an AC game's life where it basically works and is pretty fun but isn't mind-blowingly good? Sounds like it's about time to pick it up then!

Also if you bought it on day one then what were you thinking anyway

Pretty much, especially for $30 like it currently is on Amazon.

I'm up to the beginning of sequence 12, the setting is fantastic and gorgeous but the story itself is pretty lackluster. I get that they were probably reacting to the backlash over AC3's hamfisted story, but I was hoping to have at least a little more direct influence on history, rather than Arno's revenge quest with random historical cameos.

Anyway, if you like rear end Creed you'll like this, but it feels a lot like AC1 as more of a tech demo of their next-gen engine rather than a fully fleshed-out game.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

What are your specs?

I've been playing on a gaming laptop I got as a combined birthday-graduation gift a few years ago, it's an i7 core, I think 2670QM, and an Nvidia 555M card, which is where I run into most of the trouble. I can play the new Dragon Age pretty reasonably well and my drivers are all up-to-date, including the custom ones for Unity, but I'm thinking I ought to continue to put off buying it until I can build a mid-to-high-range new PC.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Flaming shitpile or not, $30 is my price point for Unity. Just piled it in with my amazon holiday gift order.

Like OP, I'm also considering French audio and English subtitles. But I suppose the French audio might lean towards 18th century proletariat rather than the 20th century urbanite that I barely learned.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I can't speak French for beans, but according to a friend it's more Montreal French than Paris French.

edit: actually I don't remember if she meant the background French or the main spoken French if you switch over. Though I guess they're probably the same.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

effervescible posted:

I can't speak French for beans, but according to a friend it's more Montreal French than Paris French.
Lol that must be hilarious for people from France.

Semi-mental
Feb 5, 2007
You must be a couple of pansies

Orv posted:

Reinstalled Windows a few days ago and forgot to unlink and move AC:U before doing so, I'll fix that tonight and get you and whoever else applied tomorrow-ish. Though I believe there are only 4 slots left.

How do you get in on this? Do you need to open up the social clubs in game or something?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Semi-mental posted:

How do you get in on this? Do you need to open up the social clubs in game or something?

Yes. It's a bit convoluted. Load your save and go into 'My clubs' or something like that and then you can either search for a club and apply or if you have friends in the SA club already, it will suggest the club for you under 'club suggestions'.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

http://www.xboxachievements.com/news/news-20061-Assassin-s-Creed-Unity-Patch-4-Has-Been--Put-On-Hold-.html

The new patch isn't coming out today as promised due to quality control issues, unfortunately.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

effervescible posted:

edit: actually I don't remember if she meant the background French or the main spoken French if you switch over. Though I guess they're probably the same.

I haven't played the game but it was dialogue from French voice actors, not Canadian ones from the trailers I've seen, I think I've recognized a few voice actors.

edit: background I mean. Main spoken French is definitely French from France, unless the American version of the game has a Canadian localization.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 15, 2014

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Most of the time the French sounds decent to my admittedly non-fluent ear, but you get some situations where one character refers to a Scotsman as "speaking with a strange accent, maybe English or Scottish", but the character in question has a bog-standard French accent. Same goes for Napoleon Bonaparte, who has no trace of the Corsican accent the real one was known for.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Kopijeger posted:

Most of the time the French sounds decent to my admittedly non-fluent ear, but you get some situations where one character refers to a Scotsman as "speaking with a strange accent, maybe English or Scottish", but the character in question has a bog-standard French accent. Same goes for Napoleon Bonaparte, who has no trace of the Corsican accent the real one was known for.

Oh yeah, no surprises there, French dubbing barely does accents at all, everyone has the same standard French accent most of the time. It's very jarring when you know the original version.

Short of the accent being the dubber's own accent (which is pretty rare nowadays) or the character being specifically written as someone having a hard time speaking "our language" (the typical phrase used by dubs to avoid saying English or French), it's just standard French.

Edit: there are exceptions of course, often if someone has a heavy Italian/Asian/etc... accent in the original, it will be reflected in the French dub, but I don't think I've heard French adaptation of New York accents, Scottish accents etc... Basically every English dialects.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 15, 2014

Hamsalad
May 28, 2007
i am torgo

Orv posted:

Reinstalled Windows a few days ago and forgot to unlink and move AC:U before doing so, I'll fix that tonight and get you and whoever else applied tomorrow-ish. Though I believe there are only 4 slots left.

Add me please, applied as CyborgLenin1917.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

effervescible posted:

I don't know about the other native American actors/characters, but Noah Watts is Crow, not Mohawk, so they wouldn't use his tribe name anyway.
Ah, OK. Sorry. So, that is actually pretty cool that they did that, I have to admit. Also, Noah Watts then either learned how to pronounce Mohawk or bungled his way through it? I know Connor doesn't seem to speak a lot of Mohawk in the game, but I'm sure there was some.

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

it's an i7 core, I think 2670QM, and an Nvidia 555M card,
Nope.

Palpek posted:

Lol that must be hilarious for people from France.
I'm not fluent in French, but I can speak some and it all sure as gently caress sounded like French to me. Maybe there isn't such a great difference between Montreal French and French French. I don't know, I've never been to Canada.

Lollerich fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 15, 2014

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

http://www.xboxachievements.com/news/news-20061-Assassin-s-Creed-Unity-Patch-4-Has-Been--Put-On-Hold-.html

The new patch isn't coming out today as promised due to quality control issues, unfortunately.

If only they'd applied the same quality control to the game itself.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Lollerich posted:

Ah, OK. Sorry. So, that is actually pretty cool that they did that, I have to admit. Also, Noah Watts then either learned how to pronounce Mohawk or bungled his way through it? I know Connor doesn't seem to speak a lot of Mohawk in the game, but I'm sure there was some.

Yeah, they had a dialect coach or somesuch. If you look up the Assassin's Den podcast, they did a lengthy interview with him that covered the process. Adrian Hough (Haytham) too. I found it fairly interesting.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

effervescible posted:

Yeah, they had a dialect coach or somesuch. If you look up the Assassin's Den podcast, they did a lengthy interview with him that covered the process. Adrian Hough (Haytham) too. I found it fairly interesting.
Do you have links to that? I'm honestly interested / intrigued.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Lollerich posted:

There's quite a few of them, and they're all pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU1KeUWEVa4 (Noah Watts/Connor)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MDR0Oukl44 (Adrian Hough/Haytham)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-zw06IWe-A (Roger Craig Smith/Ezio)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWUTQB1l5KQ (Olivia Morgan/James Kidd(/Mary Read)) (is this even a spoiler anymore?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aSDSPQUSv0 (Mark Bonnar/Blackbeard)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAxNfMMXW6I (Tristan D. Lalla/Adewale)

There might be more, I dunno.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Lollerich posted:

The best ones have been linked, but the full list is here. Each entry has a link to the mp3 version. One of the hosts is also now a community manager for Ubisoft and runs the Initiates podcast, which tends to get more devs than actors.

Aside from the Noah Watts episode, which I thought was pretty interesting in regards to all the Mohawk stuff and left me appreciating Connor more as a character, Roger Craig Smith and Adrian Hough are the best guests. Both are super into talking about the creative process and how they formed their characters, and both do some goofy voice extras, which is fun.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Alright if you applied to SAAC on PC and you're not in either something broke again or it's full. I'll check again in a bit here to see if slots open up because the system was coded by idiots.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I've been playing on a gaming laptop I got as a combined birthday-graduation gift a few years ago, it's an i7 core, I think 2670QM, and an Nvidia 555M card, which is where I run into most of the trouble. I can play the new Dragon Age pretty reasonably well and my drivers are all up-to-date, including the custom ones for Unity, but I'm thinking I ought to continue to put off buying it until I can build a mid-to-high-range new PC.

Yeah you're hosed.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

drat, I like Rogue a lot. The map is way more varied than Black Flag and it even opens up to include bigger cities. It feels like a healthy mix of Assassin's Creed 3's good parts added on top of Black Flag.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Daily Forecast posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWUTQB1l5KQ (Olivia Morgan/James Kidd(/Mary Read)) (is this even a spoiler anymore?)

:swoon:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Palpek posted:

drat, I like Rogue a lot. The map is way more varied than Black Flag and it even opens up to include bigger cities. It feels like a healthy mix of Assassin's Creed 3's good parts added on top of Black Flag.

While both sea maps are smaller than Black Flag, they kind of make up for it in that you never have to hit a loading screen to land somewhere.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

muscles like this? posted:

While both sea maps are smaller than Black Flag, they kind of make up for it in that you never have to hit a loading screen to land somewhere.

I am still bewildered that whenever I fast travel to Halifax, it spawns the boat 1 km away rather than at the dock. But still better than loading to land.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Palpek posted:

That was for the PC version only this time even the consoles are hosed.

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

quote:

As part of our ongoing efforts to provide the best experience for our players, we will be releasing Patch 4 for Assassin’s Creed Unity today. This patch is mainly focused on alleviating performance issues and improving the overall experience.

Part of the team’s effort to enhance frame rate for players involves replacing and updating portions of the Paris city map where we are seeing issues. This explains the large size of this title update (6.7 GB). However, since a large portion of the patch replaces existing files the net increase to the game’s overall size will be less than 6.7 GB.

Patch 4 delivers a variety fixes including:

Performance & Stability: Frame rate drops, game crashes, lost progression
Gameplay: Navigation, lock picking chests
Online: Connectivity, matchmaking, companion app

PS4/xbone today, PC later this week.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Huh, with a 970 instead of 2 760s I actually get reasonable frame rates.

Shame the game itself is still kinda boring.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

ayn rand hand job posted:

That was the piece of Eden that ended up with Napoleon.

I think they knew about that one. At least Subject 16 did. It's referenced in one of his puzzles.

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131105000536/assassinscreed/images/thumb/5/5c/Glyph_2_2.png/800px-Glyph_2_2.png

Looks like an apple, not the sword.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

quote:

Size: 6.7 GB

jesus christ

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Yes. He takes it from the king's secret stash while poor man's Ezio helps himself to some letters. Goes to show who's on top of things.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Also, I dunno who cares, but now you can change your uplay name. Changed mine from wardevw to DailyForecast because wardevw was a name I used, like, a bazillion years ago and continue to be haunted by to this day.

Now, if only Steam would let me change that loving name.

edit: vv What, you were trying to do that alone? It's not meant to be done solo.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 17, 2014

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I'm done with unity. Got to that second last co-op mission and had it ask me to do some ridiculous parkour challenge before crashing to desktop when i finally had a handle on it after 5 or so tries.. gently caress that noise and gently caress this game.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It gets better!

That's the PS4 size. It's 40gb on Xbone.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

It gets better!

That's the PS4 size. It's 40gb on Xbone.

Wait, are you serious?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yes. It's the same size as the entire game.

(Which if you don't own an Xbox One is an encouraging sign that it really does patch a whole lot, I guess?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsalad
May 28, 2007
i am torgo

Orv posted:

Alright if you applied to SAAC on PC and you're not in either something broke again or it's full. I'll check again in a bit here to see if slots open up because the system was coded by idiots.

Still says 45/50 to me, looks like nothing changed.

• Locked thread