Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Single cam sitcoms are going to be one of those cultural artifacts from the 2000s our kids are going to see on Nick at Nite and go "this sucks. How do you know when to laugh?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When the characters look into the camera with that sheepish Jim face. Same thing happens on Parks and Rec and it irritates me a little.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I frequent a lot of the same threads as Irish Joe, and I agree with him 70% of the time. Then he posts something really dumb and I wonder if I'm an idiot too.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I frequent a lot of the same threads as Irish Joe, and I agree with him 70% of the time. Then he posts something really dumb and I wonder if I'm an idiot too.

There's about a 70% chance that you are.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
It's confirmation of my greatest fear. All the tests all the acclaim and at the end of the night I know I'm Irish Joe.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 15, 2014

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ok, so you guys claim SHIELD really did get good? What episode? I've seen up until whatshisface boss guy gets kidnapped.

Maybe I'll use the winter dead zone to watch it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

IRQ posted:

Ok, so you guys claim SHIELD really did get good? What episode? I've seen up until whatshisface boss guy gets kidnapped.

Maybe I'll use the winter dead zone to watch it.

That was the nadir for me. It starts to improve very slowly after that, and then around episode 16-17 they use the events of The Winter Soldier to make the changes they needed to make before the show could click.

I'm not making any guarantees though. I LOVE what it turned into, but I also didn't really mind it when it was "bad."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DivisionPost posted:

That was the nadir for me. It starts to improve very slowly after that, and then around episode 16-17 they use the events of The Winter Soldier to make the changes they needed to make before the show could click.

I'm not making any guarantees though. I LOVE what it turned into, but I also didn't really mind it when it was "bad."

Do they add some people with superpowers to the cast? I'm giving it a second chance and like 10 episodes in or so, and despite what the show seems to think, the ability to :techno: is not a superpower.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Some people with powers show up here and there, but it's mostly about Coulson and his team. After the Winter Soldier tie-in episode (#17, Turn turn turn) the show starts having actual plotlines that matter and have some weight to them, rather than just sending random team members out on boring, inconsequential missions. They also introduce a handful of new characters that are all pretty good, and start giving some depth and development to the main cast so that they have something more to them than just being walking cliches.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Been watching Skins on Netflix. On the sixth episode I think and I like it so far. These kids are dumb and a bit one note, but they are kids, so that actually rings true. It really gets interesting when you see how the larger world (i.e. adults) react to them and how they in turn react back.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've been watching Salem and I'd probably like it a lot less if Seth Gabel wasn't in it!

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Oh and I finally finished season 2 of Peaky Blinders. Show rules, people should watch it, etc etc.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

VDay posted:

Oh and I finally finished season 2 of Peaky Blinders. Show rules, people should watch it, etc etc.

Could of used a hell of a lot more Cockney Tom Hardy tbh.

Peaky Bloinders.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Do they add some people with superpowers to the cast? I'm giving it a second chance and like 10 episodes in or so, and despite what the show seems to think, the ability to :techno: is not a superpower.

In the winter finale one of the characters just got powers and it turns out that they were secretly actually an established Marvel character instead of one created for the show. they introduce Skye's father and his revelation for what his name is combined with what her real name is makes her Daisy Johnson, aka Quake.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

zoux posted:

Could of used a hell of a lot more Cockney Tom Hardy tbh.

Peaky Bloinders.

Yeah I would've been ok with a whole episode that just followed Tom Hardy around as he went about his day's business and randomly yelled at his employees.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

muscles like this? posted:

In the winter finale one of the characters just got powers and it turns out that they were secretly actually an established Marvel character instead of one created for the show. they introduce Skye's father and his revelation for what his name is combined with what her real name is makes her Daisy Johnson, aka Quake.

Making one of the main characters a Z-list hero from the comics makes 36 episode of tedium totally worth it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

I've been watching Salem and I'd probably like it a lot less if Seth Gabel wasn't in it!

He is the poo poo, isn't he, in whatever he does? He even made his one episode (a season) bad guy character in Arrow one of its highlights. Just so much fun.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 15, 2014

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Shageletic posted:

Been watching Skins on Netflix. On the sixth episode I think and I like it so far. These kids are dumb and a bit one note, but they are kids, so that actually rings true. It really gets interesting when you see how the larger world (i.e. adults) react to them and how they in turn react back.

I can't wait to hear what you think of the later seasons :allears:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sweet. I don't read many comics, so maybe the show has been taking deep cuts from the Marvel universe the whole time, but early on it just feels like Marvel didn't want to commit and allow any established characters to be part of the show. So the people they encounter are like, a random Asgaardian or a dude who put on a Chitari helmet -- just insignificant detritus from the movies.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rarity posted:

I can't wait to hear what you think of the later seasons :allears:

Okay. Its getting a bit unrealistic already though, like having the teacher hook up with her student is pretty crummy, especially since the show seems to be endorsing. Otherwise, so far so good!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The show is finally taking the lead for the "Marvel Cinematic Universe" in that this is what is going to introduce the concept of the Inhumans, which isn't getting a movie for like three or four years.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Sweet. I don't read many comics, so maybe the show has been taking deep cuts from the Marvel universe the whole time, but early on it just feels like Marvel didn't want to commit and allow any established characters to be part of the show. So the people they encounter are like, a random Asgaardian or a dude who put on a Chitari helmet -- just insignificant detritus from the movies.

It's way more like that than Arrow or Flash, which are wallowing in a pig sty made out of comic book references and material, but SHIELD does way more than say Smallville did.

Though I wish they'd knock off the references to characters that will never ever be on the show. If I hear one more time how some agent did something almost as good as or even better than Romanov, I'm going to Ugh so loving hard.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

A little before that reveal -- though this is another deep cut and she isn't superpowered -- Adrianne Palicki shows up as Bobbi "Mockingbird" Morse. Her and her disco sticks steal every scene she's in, and I can't be the only one who wants her promoted to full time on the show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There are amazing intelligent dramas all over, cable comedy is in the middle of its best time ever, and all y'all wanna talk about is Marvel and DC's latest story-of-the-week cash grabs for 14 year olds. This is a dark time for TV IV. At least I always have the Sopranos thread.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
One of these days I'll watch The Wire, but first I gotta catch up on Arrow.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh no! That's horrible! What should we do? :ohdear:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Why are you guys watching TV wrong :qq:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Enjoying comic book shows like a bunch of children?!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bown posted:

There are amazing intelligent dramas all over, cable comedy is in the middle of its best time ever, and all y'all wanna talk about is Marvel and DC's latest story-of-the-week cash grabs for 14 year olds. This is a dark time for TV IV. At least I always have the Sopranos thread.

hosed up that people like TV I don't like

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
BSS is thataway, man!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The show is finally taking the lead for the "Marvel Cinematic Universe" in that this is what is going to introduce the concept of the Inhumans, which isn't getting a movie for like three or four years.

For the first season the show was basically held down and turned into a lovely "spooky things happen! Coulson and crew investigate!" while they waited for Winter Soldier to come out. It's gotten crazy better this season.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In case anyone is wondering, the hook/twist of the first episode of Ascension is that they aren't actually in space. It's actually a giant experiment on Earth. The people on the ship don't know it though.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

In case anyone is wondering, the hook/twist of the first episode of Ascension is that they aren't actually in space. It's actually a giant experiment on Earth. The people on the ship don't know it though.

They Villaged it? They seriously Villaged it?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh that movie didn't originate the concept. If there isnt a TWZ about it, I'd be shocked.

What I'm gleaning from the Marco Polo thread is that it's fine.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Bown posted:

Is any good drama stuff in the middle of airing now? Yeah this year has had some fantastic stuff but for the past few months no dramas have really grabbed me. Whereas cleverly stupid or so bad it's good or dumb but fun TV like Sleepy Hollow, Gotham, and SHIELD. Yeah there's better shows but we're not gonna talk about Fargo and True Detective all the time in the chat thread half a year after they aired.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

DivisionPost posted:

A little before that reveal -- though this is another deep cut and she isn't superpowered -- Adrianne Palicki shows up as Bobbi "Mockingbird" Morse. Her and her disco sticks steal every scene she's in, and I can't be the only one who wants her promoted to full time on the show.

I think she's loving awful. Palicki is a competent enough actress but she can't elevate the material she's being given. Everything about her character's relationship with the ex-husband is hackneyed drivel that kills the momentum of the episode and makes the writing of Fitz & Simmons look like Shakespeare.

Bown posted:

By all means, do feel free to piss off there then.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wait, Mockingbird's ex husband is Hawkeye.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I just signed up for Amazon Prime and am now exploring the video options. Does Amazon Prime for some reason not support playing episodes continuously? I have to go back to the main menu and find the next one?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
In the TV series they introduced an English character who was interesting and fun to watch, then he started talking about his evil she-beast ex. Immediately she turns up and it's Palicki. And it makes both characters unwatchable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bown posted:

I watch intelligent, prestige drama or intricate serial plots in binge form, one at a time, so I stay focused and can absorb it all.

Week to week I watch pulp and stuff that digests easy but is fun, stuff I can watch at the end of a day when I'm kind of wrecked and just want something that entertains me.

• Locked thread