Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
reminder that one of BuzzFeed's top political columnists got busted for plagiarizing from Yahoo Answers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

i wish i was joking

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

daft punk railroad posted:

reminder that one of BuzzFeed's top political columnists got busted for plagiarizing from Yahoo Answers

lol i had not heard that

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

daft punk railroad posted:

one of BuzzFeed's top political columnists

world's second tallest dwarf

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

http://gawker.com/buzzfeed-editor-caught-lifting-text-from-yahoo-answers-1610312745
http://gawker.com/buzzfeed-has-fired-benny-johnson-for-widespread-plagiar-1611269882

other plagiarized sources include the US Senate's website and whatever the gently caress "CreativeGuerillaMarketing.com" is

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sweevo posted:

world's second tallest dwarf

they had unironically good political coverage during the 2012 elections. or the 2008 ones. i can't remember for sure

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

reading buzzfeed is like prospecting for gold in a canyon full of horse poo poo but you know the horses got into the gold factory that one time so welp

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

duTrieux. posted:

reading buzzfeed is like prospecting for gold in a canyon full of horse poo poo but you know the horses got into the gold factory that one time so welp
the gold factory

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

I bet CreativeGuerillaMarketing.com turned him in for the publicity. That sounds like something they would do.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sham bam bamina! posted:

the gold factory

it has to come from somewhere

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Trig Discipline posted:

it has to come from somewhere

jesus buried it along with the dinosaurs

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Sham bam bamina! posted:

the gold factory

13 factories you wont believe dont exist!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

theflyingorc posted:

13 factories you wont believe dont exist!

pfff unil i see some proof i don't believe i won't believe they don't

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Hope they paid for archives!

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Many of the press release's claims were unrealistic, from suggesting that Catholics would soon be able to take Holy Communion through their computer to claiming that conversion to Catholicism was an "upgrade". Despite these warning signs, several readers of the false press release contacted Microsoft to confirm the claims of the hoax, and on December 16, 1994, Microsoft formally debunked the claims.[3][6]

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

There are Jewish orthodox religious restrictions which, by some interpretations, standard mobile telephones do not meet. To solve this issue, some rabbinical organizations have recommended that phones with text messaging capability not be used by children.[14] These restricted phones are known as kosher phones and have rabbinical approval for use in Israel and elsewhere by observant Orthodox Jews. Although these phones are intended to prevent immodesty, some vendors report good sales to adults who prefer the simplicity of the devices. Some phones are even approved for use by essential workers (such as health, security and public services) on the sabbath, even though use of any electrical device is generally prohibited.[15]

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

OldAlias posted:

There are Jewish orthodox religious restrictions which, by some interpretations, standard mobile telephones do not meet. To solve this issue, some rabbinical organizations have recommended that phones with text messaging capability not be used by children.[14] These restricted phones are known as kosher phones and have rabbinical approval for use in Israel and elsewhere by observant Orthodox Jews. Although these phones are intended to prevent immodesty, some vendors report good sales to adults who prefer the simplicity of the devices. Some phones are even approved for use by essential workers (such as health, security and public services) on the sabbath, even though use of any electrical device is generally prohibited.[15]

this whole area of kosher and/or sabbath-compatible electronic products is actually really fascinating. to my understanding the big prohibitions are on "making fire" and on "doing work". electricity doesn't count as fire but an electric arc does, so everything is designed with special non-arcing contacts (eg light switches with mercury switches inside). and you're not allowed to "do work", which includes methods of operating a machine such as pushing a button...but shutting a machine off is allowed, so i saw once eg. a telephone where all of the buttons are constantly connected, and you stick a pencil in a hole for each digit which interrupts the connection and dials that number, and this is ok because you're technically disabling a feature of the machine instead of enabling it.

these inventions to me seem to indicate that the inventors don't hold a very high opinion of y__h's omniscience

there's a great anecdote in the feynman memoirs too where he gets called up by a bunch of rabbis asking the great jewish scientist "is electricity fire?" and he gets intrigued and starts talking about plasmas and charge and chemical reactions and oxidization and then they cut him off and explain no, no, we dont' care, we just want to know if we can use electricity on the sabbath

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
sabbath observance stuff kinda makes me wish God was real so I could ask her if she's impressed with it or annoyed

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

uncurable mlady posted:

sabbath observance stuff kinda makes me wish God was real so I could ask her if she's impressed with it or annoyed

God is real but doesn't talk to you because of your personality

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

uncurable mlady posted:

I remember I once went to a site that had this on it.

quote:

SaturdayGuard – Automatically Closes Your Website During Shabbat And Holiday - and ONLY During Shabbat And Holiday.

With the development of technology the Internet takes a major roll in our day to day life and commerce.
The Internet is active 24/7 therefor most web sites are opened during Shabbat.
Until now it was technologically impossible to efficiently close a website during Shabbat since Shabbat comes and goes in different places in different times.
For example: when Shabbat comes in Australia, in the USA it is still Friday.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 15, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
submitted for your perusal, a ton of sperg: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Ton

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Shabbat is D&D Rules Lawyering writ large :cool:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

uncurable mlady posted:

edge y

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Shabbat is D&D Rules Lawyering writ large :cool:
it's weird because not only are they not following the spirit of the law, they aren't even following the letter (because there is none in this case)

they're making poo poo up just to get around

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

not sure which is worse

https://sco.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yom_Kippur
http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Sabbath

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
[eedit | eedit soorce]

that's not even a scottish accent, that's backwater norway or something

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

should redirect to "butler, iommi, osbourne, ward"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
another jewish rules lawyering thing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eruv

problem: on the sabbath you are restricted in what you can transport into or out of your home

solution: define "home" to mean entire neighborhood, carry on as usual

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

theflyingorc posted:

God is real but doesn't talk to you because of your personality

friendzoned again

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

uncurable mlady posted:

probably depends on whether you ask old testament god or new testament god. old testament god seems to love nitpicky trivialities while new testament god seems to care more about your intentions

there's probably some sort of connection to be drawn between the bizarrely precise readings of scripture and jews only following the old testament but i'm not going down there no siree

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
i fuckin' love the weird ways that jews find to circumvent their GOD'S LAW, as if an all powerful being would be all "hahaha!! you got me, clever jews! you put a fence around the neighborhood si you could go out with your cane. that's real smart, drat"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

there's straight up a passage in the Torah where someone bests G_d on a verbal technicality and he's all like "ya got me"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

theflyingexecutive posted:

there's straight up a passage in the Torah where someone bests G_d on a verbal technicality and he's all like "ya got me"

yep.

802.11weed posted:

i fuckin' love the weird ways that jews find to circumvent their GOD'S LAW, as if an all powerful being would be all "hahaha!! you got me, clever jews! you put a fence around the neighborhood si you could go out with your cane. that's real smart, drat"

god explicitly loves that according to both torah and talmud.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

haveblue posted:

another jewish rules lawyering thing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eruv

problem: on the sabbath you are restricted in what you can transport into or out of your home

solution: define "home" to mean entire neighborhood, carry on as usual

yeh this is why the jewish quarter in montreal is covered with wires strung between teh buildings. something about the wire connection meaning you can conduct business of some sort or other on the sabbath because it's all within one "structure" or whatever.

another one i saw once was this pneumatic wheelchair. no electricity allowed on the sabbath, or at least no electric motors because the sparking commutators count as fire, so an inventor had made this thing with pneumatic motors and mechanical air valves controlled by a joystick and powered by a scuba tank on the back that worked just like an electric wheelchair so that disabled people could move themselves around on the sabbath. and i saw this and was thinking, like, what a stupid rear end in a top hat they must think Y__H is, if he won't turn a blind eye his rule about making fire and doing work just this once to let the poor crippled guy get himself to temple on the sabbath, yet he is fooled by this inestimably more complicated machine that serves the same purpose because it uses compressed air instead

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
encouraging that kind of ingenuity is a good thing more religions should have a 'if you can fool god its cool' rule

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sagebrush posted:

yeh this is why the jewish quarter in montreal is covered with wires strung between teh buildings. something about the wire connection meaning you can conduct business of some sort or other on the sabbath because it's all within one "structure" or whatever.

another one i saw once was this pneumatic wheelchair. no electricity allowed on the sabbath, or at least no electric motors because the sparking commutators count as fire, so an inventor had made this thing with pneumatic motors and mechanical air valves controlled by a joystick and powered by a scuba tank on the back that worked just like an electric wheelchair so that disabled people could move themselves around on the sabbath. and i saw this and was thinking, like, what a stupid rear end in a top hat they must think Y__H is, if he won't turn a blind eye his rule about making fire and doing work just this once to let the poor crippled guy get himself to temple on the sabbath, yet he is fooled by this inestimably more complicated machine that serves the same purpose because it uses compressed air instead

a compressed air wheelchair is also useful for people who live in places with inconsistent electrical supplies though??? that guy made a thing that's unironically useful for a lot of people outside of a religious context

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

a compressed air wheelchair is also useful for people who live in places with inconsistent electrical supplies though??? that guy made a thing that's unironically useful for a lot of people outside of a religious context

not really. in that situation a battery powered wheelchair that you have to charge with an electric charger is no worse than an air powered wheelchair with a scuba tank that you have to refill with an electric pump. Plus a lot of third world countries have a sort of power delivery system where your house runs on car batteries, and a guy with a truck picks up the dead ones for charging and leaves you fresh ones on a regular basis.

In any case that wasn't why the guy invented it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sagebrush posted:

not really. in that situation a battery powered wheelchair that you have to charge with an electric charger is no worse than an air powered wheelchair with a scuba tank that you have to refill with an electric pump. Plus a lot of third world countries have a sort of power delivery system where your house runs on car batteries, and a guy with a truck picks up the dead ones for charging and leaves you fresh ones on a regular basis.

In any case that wasn't why the guy invented it.

scuba tanks can be refilled with manual pump systems

it doesnt matter why it was invented, its useful

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

anywhere you need a manual air pump, you're probably unlikely to have the cash for a custom tooled pneumatic wheelchair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

scuba tanks can be refilled with manual pump systems

yeah if you had conan the barbarian working on it for a week maybe. 2200 litres of air at 3,000 psi is a tremendous amount of energy.

and batteries can be charged intermittently with human-powered generators or solar panels or waterwheels or wind generators anyway.