Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EBB
Feb 15, 2005

holocaust bloopers posted:

Sorry you couldn't take it for what it was: an improvement on the source material.

get out raptor tranny trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Sorry you couldn't take it for what it was: an improvement on the source material.

The source book has powered armor and nuclear weapons. The movie doesnt have either of them, poo poo even the lovely japanese adaptatin of the book has the powert armor and nukes in it.

So gently caress off you scrub.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
gently caress both of you guys. I hope someone shits in your open mouths.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
they shot a mini nuke into the bug cave in the movie

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

They're both good in their own right but aside from some character names, quotes, and a common enemy they really don't have much in common and are completely different. Might as well have made the movie it's own thing.

I don't watch movies with commentary but it's pretty funny with them on. It's all just a bit joke pretty much.

They tried the power suits and brought back Rico in 3 but God it was terrible (hot naked chicks though) oh and the propaganda too

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 15, 2014

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

gently caress both of you guys. I hope someone shits in your open mouths.

Heinlein is brilliant. He writes awesome sci-fi AND makes lefties lose their poo poo.

The man is an American treasure.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The book is great young adult science fiction. The Verhoeven movie is pure magic. Both of them can happily exists, but I'll take the movie over the book any day.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Can't find a good copy but the 3rd also had this

http://youtu.be/KIsv1YOFNys

Courage, duty, honor!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

You want full measure camp value, watch Starship Troopers 3.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

The book is great young adult science fiction. The Verhoeven movie is pure magic. Both of them can happily exists, but I'll take the movie over the book any day.

ok...just don't call it Starship Troopers. Might I suggest "Bug Hunt on Planet 9" as an alternate title.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Isn't it kind of ironic that's it's on the Commandants reading list?

I mean I know it has great esprit de corps, leadership, etc. But isn't the whole message anti-war, satire, and making fun of societies endless wars and how they drive the regime/fascists state/whatever?

I can't remember but in the book they instigated the war right? I remember it starts with them steamrolling skinnies

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The 30 Second Bomb :allears:

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Christoff posted:

I mean I know it has great esprit de corps, leadership, etc. But isn't the whole message anti-war, satire, and making fun of societies endless wars and how they drive the regime/fascists state/whatever?

I can't remember but in the book they instigated the war right? I remember it starts with them steamrolling skinnies

I think they focus more on the civic duty, leadership, and coming of age aspects...but yeah...pretty anti-war overall.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Christoff posted:

Catch-22 was on the Air Force list a couple years ago.

which do you think is worse

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The book had loving mech suits and mobile infantry nuking civilian population centers of some lovely alien race though

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
I wish there was a legit starship troopers game

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Fortunate Son is played during Navy football games...

Hey, they talk about waving the red white and blue, right?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

ActusRhesus posted:

Heinlein is brilliant. He writes awesome sci-fi AND makes lefties lose their poo poo.

The man is an American treasure.

Heinlein may be an american treasure but his later books are creepy as gently caress.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

tuluk posted:

Heinlein may be an american treasure but his later books are creepy as gently caress.

I don't judge Stanley Kubrick by Eyes Wide Shut.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

ActusRhesus posted:

I don't judge Stanley Kubrick by Lolita.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

:stare:

I refuse to belive that someone didn't throw that on the list to gently caress with people.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The worst part about Starship Troopers being on the Commandants Reading List was all of the dumb fucks who read it and we're like "Wow that sounds like a great idea"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I didn't even know there was a third movie. :stare:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Godholio posted:

I didn't even know there was a third movie. :stare:

There's a fourth, too

https://www.themoviedb.org/collection/10522-starship-troopers-collection

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
The "Starship Troopers" movie is how I imagine movies in the book would be.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

gently caress Saitek for loving ever. I'm never buying another one of their lovely goddamn products again :negative:

Second goddamn X55 that has build quality issues, and it'll probably take them another 8 weeks to get me a goddamn replacement. Should've bought that $350 Warthog on Black Friday :smith:

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Lazy Reservist posted:

The "Starship Troopers" movie is how I imagine movies in the book would be.

so it was just super meta and self-reflexive? BRILLIANT!

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

ActusRhesus posted:

so it was just super meta and self-reflexive? BRILLIANT!

I wish, but I'm pretty sure that Verhoeven has said he was working on the movie when someone told him it's kind of similar to the book, at which point the studio went, "gently caress it," bought the rights, and a couple of names were changed

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I found a cyberpunk bartender game with hackers, butlerrobots, cybernetic mercs, racist talking dogs and robot prostitues with cat ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQwGb-d4cWA
Its interesting at least.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

haha what. CGI though

2-4 are on netflix btw

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

there was also a cgi kids series too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-97DMohl6o

ran out of money with two episodes left to make, so it never finished

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

The guys that did Robotech/Macross also did a 6 episode series on it. The mech designs proved and the book proved to be very influential on pretty much anything involving "realistic" robots and poo poo over there.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

there was also a cgi kids series too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-97DMohl6o

ran out of money with two episodes left to make, so it never finished

the series actually owned pretty hard

almost Reboot-level of difficulty to watch these days, though

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

yeah, I know a lot of people who said it was a legit good watch

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

it's a shame they never got to finish the series. It was supposed to end with them fighting the queen in a volcano magma chamber and basically everyone dying

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Elite: Dangerous 1.0 is out today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2VgApQ0joY

Sell your wife and go buy it nerds

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

waiting for kilrathi/freespace expansion pack

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
It looks awesome, since I ship out in less than a month I'll buy it sometime after I'm done with OCS soo...like next summer sometime. Assuming/hoping I'll have more free time during branch training

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

The number of people popping into the games thread going "Is there a clan so I can poo poo on pubbies with goons? :D" is getting pretty hilarious to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I play solo. If people want to get stupid with things like in EvE then whatever. Right now I'm blasting pirates while I figure out where to go for my next big expedition.

• Locked thread